Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default COVER corned beef brisket with water?

I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be
slow cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them
thoroughly without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is
where you seasoned cooks come in.

How much water is needed?

Thanks,
Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:43:31 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:12:48 -0500, FERRANTE wrote:
>
>> I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
>> new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
>> water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be slow
>> cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them thoroughly
>> without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is where you
>> seasoned cooks come in.
>>
>> How much water is needed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

Had to ask Dad about this one - he's the 'expert' in this house regarding
corned beef ;-)

He reckons (for a 6qt slower cooker like yours) just over half a (US) pint
of water should do it (1 to 1-1/2 cups?), if you're gonna leave it on
'Low' overnight.

Be interested to see what all the other slow cooker foodies have to say
about it...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
> new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
> water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be
> slow cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them
> thoroughly without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is
> where you seasoned cooks come in.
>
> How much water is needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I've been wondering about baking, or steaming a mildly cured bottom round.
If you seared the brisket first[I recommend regardless of what you do], and
used a small amount of water, you'd be steaming. You could raise the brisket
slightly off the bottom. I'd cover tightly.

I just thought. If you did this and the end result was too much salt and/or
"too tough" you could just continue on and braise in the usual fashion.
The best St. Patrick's day to you,
Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote

>>> I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
>>> new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
>>> water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be slow

> He reckons (for a 6qt slower cooker like yours) just over half a (US) pint
> of water should do it (1 to 1-1/2 cups?), if you're gonna leave it on
> 'Low' overnight.

Dad's right. No more than that. Less might be better!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:

> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> >I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
> > new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
> > water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be
> > slow cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them
> > thoroughly without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is
> > where you seasoned cooks come in.
> >
> > How much water is needed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark

> I've been wondering about baking, or steaming a mildly cured bottom round.
> If you seared the brisket first[I recommend regardless of what you do], and
> used a small amount of water, you'd be steaming. You could raise the brisket
> slightly off the bottom. I'd cover tightly.
>
> I just thought. If you did this and the end result was too much salt and/or
> "too tough" you could just continue on and braise in the usual fashion.
> The best St. Patrick's day to you,
> Ed

I always bake my corned beef briskets, I think they come out much better
than boiling / braising. They bake on a rack in a deep pan with a bit of
water in the bottom. Oddly enough those directions are on the package of
the brisket I currently have in the oven. I started baking them years
ago though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:43:31 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:12:48 -0500, FERRANTE wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
>>> new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
>>> water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be slow
>>> cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them thoroughly
>>> without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is where you
>>> seasoned cooks come in.
>>>
>>> How much water is needed?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark

> Had to ask Dad about this one - he's the 'expert' in this house regarding
> corned beef ;-)
>
> He reckons (for a 6qt slower cooker like yours) just over half a (US) pint
> of water should do it (1 to 1-1/2 cups?), if you're gonna leave it on
> 'Low' overnight.
>
> Be interested to see what all the other slow cooker foodies have to say
> about it...

Try this way of cooking it. My wife introduced this method to me a few
years ago and I have used it ever since. Wonderful!

Baked corned beef

Bake: Pre heat oven to 350° Remove meat from package and place on rack
in pan fat side up. Add approximately one inch of water to bottom of
pan. Cover with contents of included spice package if desired. Cover
pan with lid or foil, bake for fifty minutes per pound or until fork
tender. With ten minutes left, uncover pan and bake at 375°. When
corned beef is done remove from oven and let cool for 20 to30 minutes.
Always slice meat across grain pour juices over sliced corned beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Theron wrote:
>>
>> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>> >I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
>> > new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
>> > water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be
>> > slow cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them
>> > thoroughly without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is
>> > where you seasoned cooks come in.
>> >
>> > How much water is needed?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Mark

>> I've been wondering about baking, or steaming a mildly cured bottom
>> round.
>> If you seared the brisket first[I recommend regardless of what you do],
>> and
>> used a small amount of water, you'd be steaming. You could raise the
>> brisket
>> slightly off the bottom. I'd cover tightly.
>>
>> I just thought. If you did this and the end result was too much salt
>> and/or
>> "too tough" you could just continue on and braise in the usual fashion.
>> The best St. Patrick's day to you,
>> Ed

> I always bake my corned beef briskets, I think they come out much better
> than boiling / braising. They bake on a rack in a deep pan with a bit of
> water in the bottom. Oddly enough those directions are on the package of
> the brisket I currently have in the oven. I started baking them years
> ago though.

Thanks Pete. The Safeway corned beef package I'm about to cook says the same
thing. I've never tried it. Do you brown the brisket first? I've been
browning when I braise and it makes quite a difference. You could also use
beer in your steaming liquid, though I doubt that it would make any
difference.

Ed,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > Theron wrote:

> >> I've been wondering about baking, or steaming a mildly cured bottom
> >> round.
> >> If you seared the brisket first[I recommend regardless of what you do],
> >> and
> >> used a small amount of water, you'd be steaming. You could raise the
> >> brisket
> >> slightly off the bottom. I'd cover tightly.
> >>
> >> I just thought. If you did this and the end result was too much salt
> >> and/or
> >> "too tough" you could just continue on and braise in the usual fashion.
> >> The best St. Patrick's day to you,
> >> Ed

> > I always bake my corned beef briskets, I think they come out much better
> > than boiling / braising. They bake on a rack in a deep pan with a bit of
> > water in the bottom. Oddly enough those directions are on the package of
> > the brisket I currently have in the oven. I started baking them years
> > ago though.

> Thanks Pete. The Safeway corned beef package I'm about to cook says the same
> thing. I've never tried it. Do you brown the brisket first? I've been
> browning when I braise and it makes quite a difference. You could also use
> beer in your steaming liquid, though I doubt that it would make any
> difference.
>
> Ed,

I just take it out of the package, put it on a rack in the pan and
sprinkle the seasoning stuff on top. The relatively long time in the
oven browns the outside just fine. Leaving the corning / pickling gook
also helps glaze it a bit. Water in the bottom of the pan mostly keeps
the drippings from burning.

I made some very tasty corned beef has this morning with a bit of the
brisket I baked last night along with the potatoes and onions I boiled
along with some cabbage (I left the cabbage out of the hash).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Mar 2009 02:03:50p, Pete C. told us...

> Theron wrote:
>>
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> ster.com...

>> > I always bake my corned beef briskets, I think they come out much
>> > better than boiling / braising. They bake on a rack in a deep pan
>> > with a bit of water in the bottom. Oddly enough those directions are
>> > on the package of the brisket I currently have in the oven. I started
>> > baking them years ago though.

>> Thanks Pete. The Safeway corned beef package I'm about to cook says the
>> same thing. I've never tried it. Do you brown the brisket first? I've
>> been browning when I braise and it makes quite a difference. You could
>> also use beer in your steaming liquid, though I doubt that it would
>> make any difference.
>>
>> Ed,

> I just take it out of the package, put it on a rack in the pan and
> sprinkle the seasoning stuff on top. The relatively long time in the
> oven browns the outside just fine. Leaving the corning / pickling gook
> also helps glaze it a bit. Water in the bottom of the pan mostly keeps
> the drippings from burning.
>
> I made some very tasty corned beef has this morning with a bit of the
> brisket I baked last night along with the potatoes and onions I boiled
> along with some cabbage (I left the cabbage out of the hash).

IMO, how you cook corned beef is directly releated on how you plan to use
it. I have roasted it with great success and enjoyed it. However, if I
want a boiled corned beef and cabbage dinner, I want sufficient liquid to
boil the potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, and turnips. Roasting simply
doesn't provide for that. Of course, the vegetables could be cooked
separately, but would not be infused with the flavor from the cooking
liquid of the corned beef.

I doubt there's any really bad way to cook corned beef. It just depends on
what you want. A couple of times when I roasted it, near the end of
cooking I coated it liberally with a mixture of brown sugar and mustard to
give it a good spicy/sweet glaze.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 17 Mar 2009 02:03:50p, Pete C. told us...
>

> > Theron wrote:
> >>
> >> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> >> ster.com...

> >> Thanks Pete. The Safeway corned beef package I'm about to cook says the
> >> same thing. I've never tried it. Do you brown the brisket first? I've
> >> been browning when I braise and it makes quite a difference. You could
> >> also use beer in your steaming liquid, though I doubt that it would
> >> make any difference.
> >>
> >> Ed,

> > I just take it out of the package, put it on a rack in the pan and
> > sprinkle the seasoning stuff on top. The relatively long time in the
> > oven browns the outside just fine. Leaving the corning / pickling gook
> > also helps glaze it a bit. Water in the bottom of the pan mostly keeps
> > the drippings from burning.
> >
> > I made some very tasty corned beef has this morning with a bit of the
> > brisket I baked last night along with the potatoes and onions I boiled
> > along with some cabbage (I left the cabbage out of the hash).
> >

> IMO, how you cook corned beef is directly releated on how you plan to use
> it. I have roasted it with great success and enjoyed it. However, if I
> want a boiled corned beef and cabbage dinner, I want sufficient liquid to
> boil the potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, and turnips. Roasting simply
> doesn't provide for that.

> Of course, the vegetables could be cooked
> separately, but would not be infused with the flavor from the cooking
> liquid of the corned beef.

If you want the flavor in the separate vegetables, just add some
pickling spice mix to the water.

> I doubt there's any really bad way to cook corned beef. It just depends on
> what you want. A couple of times when I roasted it, near the end of
> cooking I coated it liberally with a mixture of brown sugar and mustard to
> give it a good spicy/sweet glaze.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Mar 2009 07:26:24p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > I just take it out of the package, put it on a rack in the pan and
>> > sprinkle the seasoning stuff on top. The relatively long time in the
>> > oven browns the outside just fine. Leaving the corning / pickling
>> > gook also helps glaze it a bit. Water in the bottom of the pan mostly
>> > keeps the drippings from burning.
>> >
>> > I made some very tasty corned beef has this morning with a bit of the
>> > brisket I baked last night along with the potatoes and onions I
>> > boiled along with some cabbage (I left the cabbage out of the hash).
>> >

>> IMO, how you cook corned beef is directly releated on how you plan to
>> use it. I have roasted it with great success and enjoyed it. However,
>> if I want a boiled corned beef and cabbage dinner, I want sufficient
>> liquid to boil the potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, and turnips.
>> Roasting simply doesn't provide for that.

>> Of course, the vegetables could be cooked
>> separately, but would not be infused with the flavor from the cooking
>> liquid of the corned beef.

> If you want the flavor in the separate vegetables, just add some
> pickling spice mix to the water.

It would still be missing the flavor of the meat and a bit of fat dispersed
in the liquid. Just not the same.

Don't get me wrong, I do like roasted corned beef, but if I'm making a full
boiled dinner of corned beef and cabbage and other root vegetables, I would
never roast the meat. Roasted corned beef is an entirely different meal.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:41:23 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I doubt there's any really bad way to cook corned beef. It just depends on
>what you want. A couple of times when I roasted it, near the end of
>cooking I coated it liberally with a mixture of brown sugar and mustard to
>give it a good spicy/sweet glaze.

I've always been partial to starting it off by boiling (gets rid of
excess salt too) and finishing it off in the oven with that yummy
brown sugar and mustard (French's yellow is what I decided was best)
glaze.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My corned beef dinner turned out great! I slow cooked both briskets
all night in my new slow cooker and then removed them the next
morning. I let them cool and then wrapped them in foil and placed them
in the fridge. I then added the potatoes, carrots, and onions to the
broth and cooked for several hours. I then sliced the meat and added
it back to the broth and it was so good. I also used the Pensky's
Corned Beef Spices.

The only thing I regret is inviting friends over to eat. And they did!
I have no left over's for tonight ;( I may make it again this weekend!

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" wrote

> The only thing I regret is inviting friends over to eat. And they did!
> I have no left over's for tonight ;( I may make it again this weekend!
>
> Mark

Now you know why I make 20 pounds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE > wrote in
:

> My corned beef dinner turned out great! I slow cooked both
> briskets all night in my new slow cooker and then removed them
> the next morning. I let them cool and then wrapped them in
> foil and placed them in the fridge. I then added the
> potatoes, carrots, and onions to the broth and cooked for
> several hours. I then sliced the meat and added it back to the
> broth and it was so good. I also used the Pensky's Corned Beef
> Spices.
>
> The only thing I regret is inviting friends over to eat. And
> they did! I have no left over's for tonight ;( I may make it
> again this weekend!
>
> Mark

I just got back from the grocery store with 8#'s for this weekends
meals. Love corned beef.

Glad you are enjoying your new cooker. They are great. I have 4
of various sizes/shapes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:23:58 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> wrote:

>"FERRANTE" wrote
>>
>> The only thing I regret is inviting friends over to eat. And they did!
>> I have no left over's for tonight ;( I may make it again this weekend!
>>
>> Mark

>Now you know why I make 20 pounds.

Touche!

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I just got back from the grocery store with 8#'s for this weekends
>meals. Love corned beef.
>
>Glad you are enjoying your new cooker. They are great. I have 4
>of various sizes/shapes.

I know have three. I love them. I told my buddy I was going to start
collecting them and place them all over the house! (I almost typed
"horse"..)

I am going to look for a recipe I saw somewhere in Internet land. It
was for a breakfast meal that you prepare the night before and slow
cook all night long and it is ready in the oven. Sounds great!

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
> My corned beef dinner turned out great! I slow cooked both briskets
> all night in my new slow cooker and then removed them the next
> morning. I let them cool and then wrapped them in foil and placed them
> in the fridge. I then added the potatoes, carrots, and onions to the
> broth and cooked for several hours. I then sliced the meat and added
> it back to the broth and it was so good. I also used the Pensky's
> Corned Beef Spices.
>
> The only thing I regret is inviting friends over to eat. And they did!
> I have no left over's for tonight ;( I may make it again this weekend!
>
> Mark

How much liquid/broth did you end up starting with?
Slow-cooking a couple sounds like a great plan, and it seems like you
ended up with enough broth to cook the veggies - something I didn't want
to give up! Hope to put then in tonight...

Dave