salt free mustard

Old 13-03-2009, 12:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default salt free mustard

****x posted to 'hypertension'****

Anyone ever make salt free mustard?
I'm going to try this without the salt and pickle juice.

TV Chef Alton Brown makes mustard and his recipe is;

Mustard. . .Alton Brown
**********
1/4 C. mustard seeds
'light is not as hot as dark seeds'
1/4 C. dry mustard powder
2 t lt brown sugar
1 t Kosher salt
1/2 t turmeric
1/4 t paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
**********
grind mustard seeds
**********
whisk all together, add mixed together;

1/4 C. water
1/2 C. Cider vinegar
1/2 C. Sweet pickle juice
Then nuke on high for 1 minute.
mix with hand blender
*************
heat control. Heat from water and ground mustard seed mixture
maxs out after 15 minutes. The addition of the
Vinegar, at any time in between, is the heat stopper.
Bewa One is on the edge of 'mustard gas'. Alton
adds the water and vinegar at the same time...min heat.

Old 13-03-2009, 01:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

pintlar wrote on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 06:56:19 -0600:

Anyone ever make salt free mustard?
I'm going to try this without the salt and pickle juice.

TV Chef Alton Brown makes mustard and his recipe is;

Mustard. . .Alton Brown
**********
1/4 C. mustard seeds
'light is not as hot as dark seeds'
1/4 C. dry mustard powder
2 t lt brown sugar
1 t Kosher salt
1/2 t turmeric
1/4 t paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
**********
grind mustard seeds
**********
whisk all together, add mixed together;

Standard Coleman's mixed with water is pretty salt-free. That's English
mustard of course. I think prepared German and French mustards may
contain salt. Dijon mustard in my fridge lists salt but a jar of
American (Gulden's spicy brown) does not.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 13-03-2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"pintlar" asks:
Anyone ever make salt free mustard?
I'm going to try this without the salt and pickle juice.

There is really no reason for salt in prepared mustard except it increases
shelf life... make smaller amounts... and what's with pickle juice?

Old 13-03-2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 1:16*pm, "brooklyn1" wrote:
"pintlar" asks: Anyone ever make salt free mustard?
I'm going to try this without the salt and pickle juice.

There is really no reason for salt in prepared mustard except it increases
shelf life... make smaller amounts... and what's with pickle juice?

It's an Alton Brown recipe. Sometimes his recipes are a little weird.

I don't know how many times we've yelled at him on TV: "No, you
stupid cracker, that doesn't need sugar in it!"

Cindy Hamilton