Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chopping Block TV

I had to leave after the first half of this also-ran chef competition
thing.

I know it is very tough to be a restaurant. A lot of work in a very
competitive industry. But turning cooking into a celebrity idol
gameshow, with a judge who can say "If I had this in your home I
would like it, but if I got this in a restauraunt, I'd be ****ed."
without explaining what he was talking about, what the difference
is? It is stupid and irresponsible.

Any one else see this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

bulka wrote:

> Any one else see this?

No spoilers please for those of us on the Left Coast!

I have it recording on the DVR. I had high-hopes after catching "Last
Restaurant Standing" on BBC. "Chopping Block" is the American version of
that show.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
.. .
> bulka wrote:
>
>> Any one else see this?

> No spoilers please for those of us on the Left Coast!
>
> I have it recording on the DVR. I had high-hopes after catching "Last
> Restaurant Standing" on BBC. "Chopping Block" is the American version of
> that show.
>
> --Lin

The first episode seemed more about White than the two teams. I may have to
get a larger TV to be able to see his ego.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> I had to leave after the first half of this also-ran chef competition
> thing.
>
> I know it is very tough to be a restaurant. A lot of work in a very
> competitive industry. But turning cooking into a celebrity idol
> gameshow, with a judge who can say "If I had this in your home I
> would like it, but if I got this in a restauraunt, I'd be ****ed."
> without explaining what he was talking about, what the difference
> is? It is stupid and irresponsible.
>
> Any one else see this?

As I see it, there are two things at work here. The chefs/restaurants get
free advertising. The show itself (like any reality tv show) is cheaper to
put together without stars and elaborate sets etc. I don't like any of
these shows. I don't like the judgemental element. That's just me.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 06:35:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>
>As I see it, there are two things at work here. The chefs/restaurants get
>free advertising. The show itself (like any reality tv show) is cheaper to
>put together without stars and elaborate sets etc. I don't like any of
>these shows. I don't like the judgemental element. That's just me.
>Janet

I don't like "reality" shows in general... but I'm not a soap opera
fan either, which puts me way out of the loop.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> As I see it, there are two things at work here. The chefs/restaurants get
> free advertising. The show itself (like any reality tv show) is cheaper
> to put together without stars and elaborate sets etc. I don't like any of
> these shows. I don't like the judgemental element. That's just me.
> Janet

What you see as judgmental, others see as the big draw of the show. Of
course, you need someone who is arrogant and acerbic to make it more
interesting. Some I like, others I don't care for so much.

As for the judgmental part, we don't get to see all the behind the scenes
goings on and we don't get to taste the food. The participants
(contestants?) are willing pawns in the game. You have a choice to be
humiliated or not. Win or lose the get exposure and that is what most of
them really want. I watch some of the shows and consider them
entertainment, not a way to learn the food business. That said, it does
give us some idea of what it takes to run a restaurant. Not a business I'm
interested in and that decision is reinforced after watching some of this.
Tough work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

> I know it is very tough to be a restaurant. A lot of work in a very
> competitive industry. But turning cooking into a celebrity idol
> gameshow, with a judge who can say "If I had this in your home I
> would like it, but if I got this in a restauraunt, I'd be ****ed."
> without explaining what he was talking about, what the difference
> is? It is stupid and irresponsible.

The contestants he said that to own a restaurant in Philadelphia and the
local food critic here wasn't terribly fond of them either...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colum...0222_Soul.html

"bulka" > wrote in message
>I had to leave after the first half of this also-ran chef competition
> thing.
>
> I know it is very tough to be a restaurant. A lot of work in a very
> competitive industry. But turning cooking into a celebrity idol
> gameshow, with a judge who can say "If I had this in your home I
> would like it, but if I got this in a restauraunt, I'd be ****ed."
> without explaining what he was talking about, what the difference
> is? It is stupid and irresponsible.
>
> Any one else see this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I don't like "reality" shows in general... but I'm not a soap opera
> fan either, which puts me way out of the loop.

My husband could go all week and never turn the television on. I will
turn it on around 8:00 at night and I (we) will watch shows we recorded
on the DVR. We watch very little television and we are home all day. lol

The reality shows I have never watched, is Hell's Kitchen, Survivor,
Amazing Race, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, American's Next Top Model,
The Bachelor, Extreme Makeover, Super Nanny, Wife Swap, Kid Nation,
America's Got Talent, Nashville Star, The Apprentice.

The ones I have watched, at least once, is Last Comic Standing, The
Biggest Loser, Big Brother and Dancing With The Stars.

My favorite was The Biggest Loser. I skipped it for the first 4
seasons, although everyone at work seemed to be watching it. I saw a
new season opening show when I was staying in a hotel and I really liked
it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 11:07*pm, bulka > wrote:
> I had to leave after the first half of this also-ran chef competition
> thing.

The previews were enough to turn me off.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
>I had to leave after the first half of this also-ran chef competition
> thing.
>
> I know it is very tough to be a restaurant. A lot of work in a very
> competitive industry. But turning cooking into a celebrity idol
> gameshow, with a judge who can say "If I had this in your home I
> would like it, but if I got this in a restauraunt, I'd be ****ed."
> without explaining what he was talking about, what the difference
> is? It is stupid and irresponsible.
>
> Any one else see this?

He asked her were the inspiration for the dish came from?
She said her grandmother.
That's when he said "If I had this in you home I would like it because it
came from the hart, but if I got this in a restaurant, I'd be ****ed."

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

> bulka wrote:
>
> > Any one else see this?

> No spoilers please for those of us on the Left Coast!
>
> I have it recording on the DVR. I had high-hopes after catching "Last
> Restaurant Standing" on BBC. "Chopping Block" is the American version
> of that show.

It's sort of a blend between LRS and "Hell's Kitchen".

Similarities to LRS:

1. Pairs of contestants.
2. Running a restaurant where contestants perform all duties, make the
menu, etc.
3. Limited interaction with the host during the service.

Similarities to HK:

1. Contestants divided into two teams, rather than each having a
restaurant.
2. Initial competition, in this case to to choose the head chef.
3. Pair leaving chosen from the "losing team" immediately after
service, no run-off competition, so arguments and such between
contestants.

I'm not sure where the customers come from. Part of the fun of LRS was
the contestants out trying to drum up business for their restaurants.

For all his screaming and insults, Gordon Ramsay has a core of
likability (in my opinion). White comes off as boring and pompous (but
to be fair, it's still early).

Brian

--
Day 37 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message

> I'm not sure where the customers come from. Part of the fun of LRS was
> the contestants out trying to drum up business for their restaurants.

There was mentioni n the prview of the customers fo rthe next week so I'm
guessing t hat they are sent in. My daughter, for instance, was in two
episodes of Hell's Kitchen. She was an invited guest by her friend (who
happens t be a chef) that was invited by the producer.

> For all his screaming and insults, Gordon Ramsay has a core of
> likability (in my opinion). White comes off as boring and pompous (but
> to be fair, it's still early).

You nailed it. I've seen Ramsey showing that he does have a "real" side of
life and much of what you see on TV is just his schtick..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> >
> > I'm not sure where the customers come from. Part of the fun of LRS
> > was the contestants out trying to drum up business for their
> > restaurants.
> >

> There was mentioni n the prview of the customers fo rthe next week so
> I'm guessing t hat they are sent in. My daughter, for instance, was
> in two episodes of Hell's Kitchen. She was an invited guest by her
> friend (who happens t be a chef) that was invited by the producer.

I suspect so. That would pretty much guarantee a crowded house. LRS
often had the problem of light crowds. Additionally, the profits each
restaurant turned were an important part of evaluation.

> > For all his screaming and insults, Gordon Ramsay has a core of
> > likability (in my opinion). White comes off as boring and pompous
> > (but to be fair, it's still early).

> You nailed it. I've seen Ramsey showing that he does have a "real"
> side of life and much of what you see on TV is just his schtick..

Ramsay was on The Late Late Show with Scots-American host Craig
Ferguson recently. Gordon was fairly energetic and amusing, and of
course a bit had to be bleeped here and there. It was a pretty fun
interview.

Brian

--
Day 37 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> For all his screaming and insults, Gordon Ramsay has a core of
> likability (in my opinion). White comes off as boring and pompous (but
> to be fair, it's still early).
>

> Brian

Before the first episode aired, all of the ads were Gordon Ramsay
screaming and shouting like a mad man. This is why I never watched the
show. If I wanted to hear that, I would go to a southern Baptist,
hellfire & brimstone church.

The show is popular, so it must be better than it first appeared.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > For all his screaming and insults, Gordon Ramsay has a core of
> > likability (in my opinion). White comes off as boring and pompous
> > (but to be fair, it's still early).

> Before the first episode aired, all of the ads were Gordon Ramsay
> screaming and shouting like a mad man. This is why I never watched
> the show. If I wanted to hear that, I would go to a southern
> Baptist, hellfire & brimstone church.
>
> The show is popular, so it must be better than it first appeared.

The screaming and tossing plates and such is part of the fun. As is the
backbiting and scheming by the contestants.

But Ramsay can be a good guy too. He appreciates people who try hard,
even if they don't necessarily have the training or skills. One season
he offered a to send a contestant to culinary school after he
eliminated her (no idea if anything came of that though).

If you want gentle, try Last Restaurant Standing on BBC America. That's
a lot more laid-back and is more about the interactions of the couple
running each restaurant.

Brian

--
Day 37 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:23:08 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> I don't like "reality" shows in general... but I'm not a soap opera
>> fan either, which puts me way out of the loop.
>>

>My husband could go all week and never turn the television on. I will
>turn it on around 8:00 at night and I (we) will watch shows we recorded
>on the DVR. We watch very little television and we are home all day. lol
>
>The reality shows I have never watched, is Hell's Kitchen, Survivor,
>Amazing Race, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, American's Next Top Model,
>The Bachelor, Extreme Makeover, Super Nanny, Wife Swap, Kid Nation,
>America's Got Talent, Nashville Star, The Apprentice.
>
>The ones I have watched, at least once, is Last Comic Standing, The
>Biggest Loser, Big Brother and Dancing With The Stars.
>
>My favorite was The Biggest Loser. I skipped it for the first 4
>seasons, although everyone at work seemed to be watching it. I saw a
>new season opening show when I was staying in a hotel and I really liked
>it.

I haven't seen or even heard of most you listed and the others I've
seen once and 99% - not even and entire show.

I do like Super Nanny... but even though I tell myself it's going to
appt. TV, it hasn't been to date.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:23:08 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>

>> The reality shows I have never watched, is Hell's Kitchen, Survivor,
>> Amazing Race, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, American's Next Top Model,
>> The Bachelor, Extreme Makeover, Super Nanny, Wife Swap, Kid Nation,
>> America's Got Talent, Nashville Star, The Apprentice.
>>
>> The ones I have watched, at least once, is Last Comic Standing, The
>> Biggest Loser, Big Brother and Dancing With The Stars.
>>
>> My favorite was The Biggest Loser. I skipped it for the first 4
>> seasons, although everyone at work seemed to be watching it. I saw a
>> new season opening show when I was staying in a hotel and I really liked
>> it.
>>

> I haven't seen or even heard of most you listed and the others I've
> seen once and 99% - not even and entire show.
>
> I do like Super Nanny... but even though I tell myself it's going to
> appt. TV, it hasn't been to date.

The Last Comic Standing was a show I enjoyed, because I love stand-up
comedy. On the Biggest Loser, I discovered the personal trainer,
Jillian Michaels, and I use her I-Fit cards in exercise equipment. She
drives you pretty hard. A couple of days ago, I was glad I quit smoking,
because I wanted to put a cigarette out, right in her eyeball. I am not
a violent person, but she pushes you way too far. lol

The Super Nanny was on a couple of talk shows, so I saw some clips of
the work she does. It is amazing how bad some parents are at discipling
their children - the kids ran absolutely wild.

I was a tough disciplinarian, although I never used corporal punishment.
The sad thing is, children need to learn to respect others and to
respect themselves, at an early age.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 10:23*am, Becca > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > I don't like "reality" shows in general... but I'm not a soap opera
> > fan either, which puts me way out of the loop.

> My husband could go all week and never turn the television on. *I will
> turn it on around 8:00 at night and I (we) will watch shows we recorded
> on the DVR. *We watch very little television and we are home all day. *lol
>
> The reality shows I have never watched, is Hell's Kitchen, Survivor,
> Amazing Race, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, American's Next Top Model,
> The Bachelor, Extreme Makeover, Super Nanny, Wife Swap, Kid Nation,
> America's Got Talent, Nashville Star, The Apprentice.
>
> The ones I have watched, at least once, is Last Comic Standing, The
> Biggest Loser, Big Brother and Dancing With The Stars.
>
> My favorite was The Biggest Loser. *I skipped it for the first 4
> seasons, although everyone at work seemed to be watching it. *I saw a
> new season opening show when I was staying in a hotel and I really liked
> it.
>
> Becca

The Amazing Race is great - more of a travel show than a reality show,
the scenery sometimes is spectacular. I watch a lot of reality shows
which have professionals competing or where you can learn
something ... the ones like Big Brother, Bachelor (in all its forms),
Survivor and the like don't appeal to me at all because they are so
whiney and the winners have nothing nobody in the real world would
ever want. Ick.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
The Amazing Race is great - more of a travel show than a reality show,
the scenery sometimes is spectacular. I watch a lot of reality shows
which have professionals competing or where you can learn
something ... the ones like Big Brother, Bachelor (in all its forms),
Survivor and the like don't appeal to me at all because they are so
whiney and the winners have nothing nobody in the real world would
ever want. Ick.

I never watched the first few season, now I regret it. The travel aspects
make it worthwhile, IMO. You get to see some off the beaten path places and
sometimes how people live in other parts of the world. I especially like it
when they go to some place I've been to.

They seem to spend a fair amount of time in India. That was one of the last
places I'd ever want to visit, but the more I see, the more I think I'd like
to go. While a poor country, the people seem happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> The Amazing Race is great - more of a travel show than a reality show,
> the scenery sometimes is spectacular. I watch a lot of reality shows
> which have professionals competing or where you can learn
> something ... the ones like Big Brother, Bachelor (in all its forms),
> Survivor and the like don't appeal to me at all because they are so
> whiney and the winners have nothing nobody in the real world would
> ever want. Ick.

> I never watched the first few season, now I regret it. The travel aspects
> make it worthwhile, IMO. You get to see some off the beaten path places and
> sometimes how people live in other parts of the world. I especially like it
> when they go to some place I've been to.
>
> They seem to spend a fair amount of time in India. That was one of the last
> places I'd ever want to visit, but the more I see, the more I think I'd like
> to go. While a poor country, the people seem happy.

Sounds like The Amazing Race may be worth recording. As far as India, I
have friends who love the country and the people. They follow a couple
of ice skaters around the world, and they attend their ice skating
competitions. That is why they visited India, but that was several
years ago.

Becca

Chopping chocolate!!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 38 23-12-2015 08:47 PM
Chopping Herbs BBQ General Cooking 10 25-03-2015 12:34 PM
Chopping block Travis McGee General Cooking 14 21-06-2014 02:39 PM
Chopping cranberries? Bookwyrm General Cooking 5 26-11-2008 06:05 PM
Chopping Parsley [email protected] General Cooking 60 30-08-2005 02:08 AM