Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft Mac & Cheese

jmcquown wrote:
> The steps for my mother's (Velveeta <gasp>) mac & cheese are so
> similar to the ones on the blue box I wonder why people even bother.
> Price, maybe? You still have to boil the macaroni, melt butter, add
> milk and stir in the packet of cheese. In my (and my mom's) case, I
> stir in chunks of Velveeta instead and stir until it's melted. Then
> stir it into cooked drained macaroni. Same steps, pretty much the
> same amount of time. (I do go the next step and bake mine with
> breadcrumbs on top.) So it must be a cost thing. Otherwise I just
> don't see the appeal of powdered cheese sauce.
>
> Jill

Velveeta is good for a few things, other than being a door stop; chili
con queso, mac & cheese, and maybe grilled cheese sandwiches. By
admitting this, you know our names are placed on a list somewhere. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:45:47 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> The steps for my mother's (Velveeta <gasp>) mac & cheese are so
>> similar to the ones on the blue box I wonder why people even bother.
>> Price, maybe? You still have to boil the macaroni, melt butter, add
>> milk and stir in the packet of cheese. In my (and my mom's) case, I
>> stir in chunks of Velveeta instead and stir until it's melted. Then
>> stir it into cooked drained macaroni. Same steps, pretty much the
>> same amount of time. (I do go the next step and bake mine with
>> breadcrumbs on top.) So it must be a cost thing. Otherwise I just
>> don't see the appeal of powdered cheese sauce.

>Velveeta is good for a few things, other than being a door stop; chili
>con queso, mac & cheese, and maybe grilled cheese sandwiches. By
>admitting this, you know our names are placed on a list somewhere. lol

Somewhere? Right here in Minnesota, babe! You wouldn't find yourself
on that list if you had stopped at chili con queso, but NOOOOO!
ROFLMAO!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca said...

> Velveeta is good for a few things, other than being a door stop; chili
> con queso, mac & cheese, and maybe grilled cheese sandwiches. By
> admitting this, you know our names are placed on a list somewhere. lol
>

> Becca

Velveeta is the same processed cheese food product used in the Kraft Deluxe
m&c cheese squeeze packet and cheez-whiz!!!

Good grief!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:50:39 -0600, Janet Wilder

>>> OMG! You've been through the mill, Janet! I'm glad that things have
>>> settled down for you, and that you're feeling healthier.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> Thanks, Carol. It was pretty rough for a while, but I'm great. I guess
>> a tough old broad like me is hard to kill. :-)

> Well, I am very glad you overcame this, Janet. What an awful thing to
> go through!

I think the worst part of it was my little dog dying in the midst of
everything.

The best part is that I now have a wonderful appreciation for everything
life offers. It's not such a bad thing to come to terms with one's own
mortality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I think the worst part of it was my little dog dying in the midst of
> everything.

Oh my! That must have been particularly devastating at that time.
:-((((

> The best part is that I now have a wonderful appreciation for everything
> life offers. It's not such a bad thing to come to terms with one's own
> mortality.

I'm sure. It is too bad that if came at such a cost.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 13:53:49 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I think the worst part of it was my little dog dying in the midst of
>everything.

It's heart-wrenching any time, but must have been devastating for you
at that time.

>The best part is that I now have a wonderful appreciation for everything
>life offers. It's not such a bad thing to come to terms with one's own
>mortality.

There are gifts hidden within most, if not all, tragedies. You just
have to look for them.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>
> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>
> We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>
> Do you doctor it up?
>
> How so?
>
> Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
> about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>
> What is your secret?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

Here's a recipe I found a few years back:

1. 1 (7.25 ounce) package KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese Dinner, prepared
as directed on package using Light Preparation directions
2. 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
3. 1/2 pound lean ground beef, cooked, drained
4. 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
5. 2 tablespoons KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese

Cooking Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon half of the prepared Dinner
into lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.
2. Top with half each of the spaghetti sauce, meat and shredded
cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake 20 min. or until heated through.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 16:16:44 -0600, Scott > wrote:

>Here's a recipe I found a few years back:
>
> 1. 1 (7.25 ounce) package KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese Dinner, prepared
>as directed on package using Light Preparation directions
> 2. 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
> 3. 1/2 pound lean ground beef, cooked, drained
> 4. 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
> 5. 2 tablespoons KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese
>
>Cooking Directions
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon half of the prepared Dinner
>into lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.
> 2. Top with half each of the spaghetti sauce, meat and shredded
>cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
> 3. Bake 20 min. or until heated through.

Okay, THAT I might just eat.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I think the worst part of it was my little dog dying in the midst of
>> everything.

> Oh my! That must have been particularly devastating at that time. :-((((
>>
>> The best part is that I now have a wonderful appreciation for
>> everything life offers. It's not such a bad thing to come to terms
>> with one's own mortality.

> I'm sure. It is too bad that if came at such a cost.

I have always believed that each life experience should teach us
something. I learned lots from this one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 13:53:49 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I think the worst part of it was my little dog dying in the midst of
>> everything.

> It's heart-wrenching any time, but must have been devastating for you
> at that time.
>
>> The best part is that I now have a wonderful appreciation for everything
>> life offers. It's not such a bad thing to come to terms with one's own
>> mortality.

> There are gifts hidden within most, if not all, tragedies. You just
> have to look for them.

I think you are so right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> I think the worst part of it was my little dog dying in the midst of
>>> everything.

>> Oh my! That must have been particularly devastating at that time.
>> :-((((
>>>
>>> The best part is that I now have a wonderful appreciation for
>>> everything life offers. It's not such a bad thing to come to terms
>>> with one's own mortality.

>> I'm sure. It is too bad that if came at such a cost.
>>

> I have always believed that each life experience should teach us
> something. I learned lots from this one.

Excellent attitude!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 4:16*pm, Scott > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

> > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

> > Do you doctor it up?

> > How so?

> > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How
> > about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

> > What is your secret?

> > :-)

> > Dimitri

> Here's a recipe I found a few years back:
>
> * * 1. 1 (7.25 ounce) package KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese Dinner, prepared
> as directed on package using Light Preparation directions
> * * 2. 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
> * * 3. 1/2 pound lean ground beef, cooked, drained
> * * 4. 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
> * * 5. 2 tablespoons KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese
>
> Cooking Directions
>
> * * 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon half of the prepared Dinner
> into lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.
> * * 2. Top with half each of the spaghetti sauce, meat and shredded
> cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
> * * 3. Bake 20 min. or until heated through.- Hide quoted text -

Oooooh! That's homemade. Well, SEMI homemade.
A new NG, r.f.semi-cooking.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 9:45*am, Becca > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > The steps for my mother's (Velveeta <gasp>) mac & cheese are so
> > similar to the ones on the blue box I wonder why people even bother. *
> > Price, maybe? You still have to boil the macaroni, melt butter, add
> > milk and stir in the packet of cheese. *In my (and my mom's) case, I
> > stir in chunks of Velveeta instead and stir until it's melted. *Then
> > stir it into cooked drained macaroni. *Same steps, pretty much the
> > same amount of time. *(I do go the next step and bake mine with
> > breadcrumbs on top.) *So it must be a cost thing. *Otherwise I just
> > don't see the appeal of powdered cheese sauce.

> > Jill

> Velveeta is good for a few things, other than being a door stop; chili
> con queso, mac & cheese, and maybe grilled cheese sandwiches. *By
> admitting this, you know our names are placed on a list somewhere. *lol

Or perhaps removed from a list.

> Becca

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

2 boxes of regular Mac and Cheese. Prepared the usual way in a very large
bowl.
Then: add minced Canadian bacon, Parmesean and/or Romano, shredded sharp
cheddar, minced onion and covered with sliced provolone.
Bake at 350deg 45-60 minutes.
Freezes well.

Yum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 8:30*am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> 2 boxes of regular Mac and Cheese. Prepared the usual way in a very large
> bowl.
> Then: add minced Canadian bacon, Parmesean and/or Romano, shredded sharp
> cheddar, minced onion and covered with sliced provolone.
> Bake at 350deg 45-60 minutes.
> Freezes well.

What a waste of good Canadian bacon, Parmesean and/or Romano, shredded
sharp cheddar, minced onion and sliced provolone.

I bet you make a mean Hamburger Helper too.

> Yum.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:45:47 -0600, Becca > wrote:
>

>> Velveeta is good for a few things, other than being a door stop; chili
>> con queso, mac & cheese, and maybe grilled cheese sandwiches. By
>> admitting this, you know our names are placed on a list somewhere. lol
>>

> Somewhere? Right here in Minnesota, babe! You wouldn't find yourself
> on that list if you had stopped at chili con queso, but NOOOOO!
> ROFLMAO!
>
> Carol

It has been a few years since I made mac & cheese, but if I want it, I
make my own. Like someone said, it is just as easy to make it from
scratch. I have bought Velveeta to make chili con queso, though. I
stay away from it, because I am avoiding tortilla chips. Why is
everything that tastes so good, so bad for you. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:45:47 -0600, Becca > wrote:
>>

>>> Velveeta is good for a few things, other than being a door stop; chili
>>> con queso, mac & cheese, and maybe grilled cheese sandwiches. By
>>> admitting this, you know our names are placed on a list somewhere. lol
>>>

>> Somewhere? Right here in Minnesota, babe! You wouldn't find yourself
>> on that list if you had stopped at chili con queso, but NOOOOO!
>> ROFLMAO!
>>
>> Carol

> It has been a few years since I made mac & cheese, but if I want it, I
> make my own. Like someone said, it is just as easy to make it from
> scratch. I have bought Velveeta to make chili con queso, though. I
> stay away from it, because I am avoiding tortilla chips. Why is
> everything that tastes so good, so bad for you. lol
>

> Becca

Trader Joe's has some relatively LC chips, which contain soy and
are studded with flax seeds. Not bad. The veggie ones are awful
though. (I have not gotten any recently--this is a carry over
from a while ago.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 05 Mar 2009 10:59:14a, Theron told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...

>>> When you could buy Kraft powdered American cheese separately, it
>>> worked somewhat better to make it on your own, choosing your own
>>> noodles, etc.I wish I could find powdered American or Cheddar cheese
>>> sold separately. I haven't been able to. If anyone knows of a source
>>> I'd sure appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Ed

>> http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/...wder?gclid=CP_
>> 21rfni5kCFQ8eDQodbG3Ulw
>>
>> or http://tinyurl.com/bbsflc
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> Thanks Wayne, I may have seen this in the past, at least something
> similar. The problem is that when you add $8.21 shipping to the cost of
> one cup of powder you're up to $17.
>
> Ed

I didn't pay attention to that, Ed. That's way too expensive for a bit of
powdered cheese. You might check the specialty food stores in your area.
I think one of ours carries it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 05 Mar 2009 07:52:30a, Pete C. told us...

> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:16:18 -0600, "Pete C." >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Semi-real mac and cheese can be made with ramen noodles,

>> ugh

> If you were faced with two bowls of mac and cheese, one made with ramen
> noodles and a fresh made cheese sauce and one with glow in the dark
> stuff from a box, which would you choose?

Definitely the box. As I said earlier, the very thought of ramen noodles
turns me off.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 03:00:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 05 Mar 2009 07:52:30a, Pete C. told us...
>

>> sf wrote:

>>> ugh

>> If you were faced with two bowls of mac and cheese, one made with ramen
>> noodles and a fresh made cheese sauce and one with glow in the dark
>> stuff from a box, which would you choose?
>>

>Definitely the box. As I said earlier, the very thought of ramen noodles
>turns me off.

Ramen noodles are fine for faking chow mien.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 07 Mar 2009 10:21:00p, sf told us...

> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 03:00:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> If you were faced with two bowls of mac and cheese, one made with ramen
>>> noodles and a fresh made cheese sauce and one with glow in the dark
>>> stuff from a box, which would you choose?
>>>

>>Definitely the box. As I said earlier, the very thought of ramen noodles
>>turns me off.

> Ramen noodles are fine for faking chow mien.

I make chow mein seldom enough that I don't "fake" it. I buy freshly made
chow mein noodles at the Chinese Cultural Center Market.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't eaten the kind with the cheese powder that you mix with milk
and butter since I was a kid; that stuff made me gag as a kid. I do,
however, like the deluxe with the cheese sauce packet, and will add a
can of tuna and can of mushrooms to it. I also like to brown sausage
or ground beef and onion together and drain it and add it to the
deluxe mac and cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
On Mar 7, 8:30 am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> 2 boxes of regular Mac and Cheese. Prepared the usual way in a very large
> bowl.
> Then: add minced Canadian bacon, Parmesean and/or Romano, shredded sharp
> cheddar, minced onion and covered with sliced provolone.
> Bake at 350deg 45-60 minutes.
> Freezes well.

What a waste of good Canadian bacon, Parmesean and/or Romano, shredded
sharp cheddar, minced onion and sliced provolone.

I bet you make a mean Hamburger Helper too.

> Yum.

--Bryan

Cretin. To each his own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>>> Somewhere? Right here in Minnesota, babe! You wouldn't find yourself
>>> on that list if you had stopped at chili con queso, but NOOOOO!
>>> ROFLMAO!
>>>
>>> Carol

>> It has been a few years since I made mac & cheese, but if I want it,
>> I make my own. Like someone said, it is just as easy to make it from
>> scratch. I have bought Velveeta to make chili con queso, though. I
>> stay away from it, because I am avoiding tortilla chips. Why is
>> everything that tastes so good, so bad for you. lol
>>

>> Becca

> Trader Joe's has some relatively LC chips, which contain soy and are
> studded with flax seeds. Not bad. The veggie ones are awful though.
> (I have not gotten any recently--this is a carry over from a while ago.)

One of my friends lives in Delaware and she gave me a gift basket that
included those LC chips. They looked a bit odd, but they tasted very
good. I wish we had a Trader Joe's here.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Becca wrote:

>>> It has been a few years since I made mac & cheese, but if I want it,
>>> I make my own. Like someone said, it is just as easy to make it from
>>> scratch. I have bought Velveeta to make chili con queso, though. I
>>> stay away from it, because I am avoiding tortilla chips. Why is
>>> everything that tastes so good, so bad for you. lol
>>>

>>> Becca

>> Trader Joe's has some relatively LC chips, which contain soy and are
>> studded with flax seeds. Not bad. The veggie ones are awful though.
>> (I have not gotten any recently--this is a carry over from a while ago.)
>>

> One of my friends lives in Delaware and she gave me a gift basket that
> included those LC chips. They looked a bit odd, but they tasted very
> good. I wish we had a Trader Joe's here.
>

> Becca

They are decent--and flax is good for you. Of course, you aren't
supposed to eat a truckload of them.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in
:

> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

but... but... i don't use & have never used Kraft mac & cheeze.

> We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

nope. that's why there's Annie's mac & cheese
and for the 8 year old's lunch, Annie's microwave mac & cheese
(his classroom has a kitchen. they bake from scratch on Friday as
part of the curriculum).

> Do you doctor it up?

of course.

> How so?
> Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover
> veggies. How about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

i make the sauce with butter & Cabot's Greek-style yogurt.
sometimes i add more cheese. i frequently add broccoli. sliced hot
dogs are popular with the guys, or the mini cheddar wurtz or smoked
dogs(but i don't really like it with hot dogs mixed in)
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>>
>>> Trader Joe's has some relatively LC chips, which contain soy and are
>>> studded with flax seeds. Not bad. The veggie ones are awful
>>> though. (I have not gotten any recently--this is a carry over from
>>> a while ago.)
>>>

>> One of my friends lives in Delaware and she gave me a gift basket
>> that included those LC chips. They looked a bit odd, but they tasted
>> very good. I wish we had a Trader Joe's here.
>>

>> Becca

> They are decent--and flax is good for you. Of course, you aren't
> supposed to eat a truckload of them.

Flax seeds are high in fiber and filled with omega-3 fatty acids. I
only ate them to get healthy, honest! ;-)

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca said...

> Jean B. wrote:
>> Becca wrote:

>>> One of my friends lives in Delaware and she gave me a gift basket
>>> that included those LC chips. They looked a bit odd, but they tasted
>>> very good. I wish we had a Trader Joe's here.
>>>

>>> Becca

>> They are decent--and flax is good for you. Of course, you aren't
>> supposed to eat a truckload of them.

> Flax seeds are high in fiber and filled with omega-3 fatty acids. I
> only ate them to get healthy, honest! ;-)
>

> Becca

I shopped TJs today and got a box of TJ's Os (cheerios). Probably not as
nutritious but good stuff none the less!

I was ****ed off that they didn't carry my favorite keylime pie yogurt!!! I
was temporarily (1 nanosecond) mad as hell!!!

Oh well, I still got my 85% cocoa dark chocolate!

Life is: GOOD

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:29:27 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>I shopped TJs today and got a box of TJ's Os (cheerios). Probably not as
>nutritious but good stuff none the less!

Have you seen the "new" multi-grained cheerios (I think they are
Cheerios brand)? Oh, my... they are delicious and they are my current
favorite cereal.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:29:27 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>I shopped TJs today and got a box of TJ's Os (cheerios). Probably not as
>>nutritious but good stuff none the less!

> Have you seen the "new" multi-grained cheerios (I think they are
> Cheerios brand)? Oh, my... they are delicious and they are my current
> favorite cereal.

sf,

That's way overly fortified. Do you really want to get 100% of vitamins at
breakfast and OD the rest of the day?

They do get points for being all natural (no HFCS, transfats, etc.).

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 02:29:23 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>sf said...
>
>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:29:27 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>>I shopped TJs today and got a box of TJ's Os (cheerios). Probably not as
>>>nutritious but good stuff none the less!

>> Have you seen the "new" multi-grained cheerios (I think they are
>> Cheerios brand)? Oh, my... they are delicious and they are my current
>> favorite cereal.

>sf,
>
>That's way overly fortified. Do you really want to get 100% of vitamins at
>breakfast and OD the rest of the day?
>
>They do get points for being all natural (no HFCS, transfats, etc.).

Honestly, I don't care. Fortified is fine by me. I just want
something healthy to fill my stomach in the morning and keep me going
until lunch. I don't demand very much from breakfast.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 02:29:23 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>sf said...

>>> Have you seen the "new" multi-grained cheerios (I think they are
>>> Cheerios brand)? Oh, my... they are delicious and they are my current
>>> favorite cereal.

>>sf,
>>
>>That's way overly fortified. Do you really want to get 100% of vitamins at
>>breakfast and OD the rest of the day?
>>
>>They do get points for being all natural (no HFCS, transfats, etc.).
>>

> Honestly, I don't care. Fortified is fine by me. I just want
> something healthy to fill my stomach in the morning and keep me going
> until lunch. I don't demand very much from breakfast.

And, there's no such thing as "overfortified" with water-soluable vitamins,
you just pee them all away.