Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft Mac & Cheese

On Mar 4, 8:40*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>
> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>
> We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>
> Do you doctor it up?
>
> How so?
>
> Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How about
> dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>
> What is your secret?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

What I like to do is go and buy two packs of the extra cheesy one. I
take the macaroni from one box, and just make regular macaroni, maybe
even use them for homemade mac & cheese. Then I take the two packs of
cheesy powder and use it all for one batch. The fluorescence of the
cheese becomes almost blinding!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My mac & cheese isn't the same twice. I'm always using whatever I have
in the house. My grocery store sells cheese ends and odd ball slices of
assorted cheeses all packed together for next to nothing, so I always
pick up a few packages when I'm making mac & cheese.

Into a pan go all the cheeses, cheddar, swiss, provolone, american, etc.
a cup or two of milk, a couple tbs. of crushed garlic, onion powder and
a healthy squirt of spicy mustard. When melted pour over cooked
macaroni and top with 1/2" cubed leftover bread. Last night I used up
the pumpernicle bread. The bread cubes topping I've been doing since my
home ec class in Jr. High. It adds a lot, especially if you use a
flavored bread like pumpernicle, onion, dill, garlic, etc.
Bake at 35 about 45 minutes.

I've also made sauce with a roux, the traditional way, but I don't find
it necessary, just milk and cheeses work fine.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH > wrote:

> Into a pan go all the cheeses, cheddar, swiss, provolone,
> american, etc. a cup or two of milk, a couple tbs. of crushed
> garlic, onion powder and a healthy squirt of spicy mustard.
> When melted pour over cooked macaroni and top with 1/2" cubed
> leftover bread.

Of the various ways to make mac & cheese, melting the cheese
before combining with the macaroni is not one I have tried.
I will mix the cheese and the macaroni and then either
place it in the oven, or do a quick melting operation on
the stovetop.

The mustard sounds like a good addition.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 9:00*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

> > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

> > Do you doctor it up?

> > How so?

> > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How about
> > dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

> > What is your secret?

> > :-)

> > Dimitri

> I haven't consumed any packaged mac and cheese product (Kraft or other)
> in at least 20 years. I did have to prepare a batch a few years back for
> some kids who had unfortunately not been exposed to real non glow in the
> dark mac and cheese

I don't keep it on hand, but about every two years, I get a yen for
the Kraft stuff mixed with tuna, lots of milk, a can of mushroom soup
- bake for 20 minutes in a casserole, then top it with tomato slices
and grated cheddar. Bake another 5 minutes til cheese melts. I
found this in an old Good Housekeeping cookbook.

I have passed this on to many a mother whose kid hates to eat. The
kids usually love it.

Seems like it goes well with a Coke as the wash-down drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 12:24*am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

> > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

> > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

> > Do you doctor it up?

> > How so?

> > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How
> > about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

> > What is your secret?

> > :-)

> > Dimitri

> I stopped buying Kraft Mac & Cheese when I found Alton Brown's Stovetop Mac
> & Cheese recipe. *It's fast, easy, delicious and I usually have all the
> ingredients in the house.
>
> Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese
>
> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
> Serves: *6 to 8 servings
> Ingredients
> 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 2 eggs
> 6 ounces evaporated milk
> 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> Fresh black pepper
> 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
> 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
> Directions
> In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and
> drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
> Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir
> into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3
> minutes or until creamy.

Got the fat gram rundown on this? Calories per serving?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
wrote:

> On Mar 4, 9:00*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> > Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

> > > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> > > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

> > > Do you doctor it up?

> > > How so?

> > > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How
> > > about
> > > dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

> > > What is your secret?

> > > :-)

> > > Dimitri

> > I haven't consumed any packaged mac and cheese product (Kraft or other)
> > in at least 20 years. I did have to prepare a batch a few years back for
> > some kids who had unfortunately not been exposed to real non glow in the
> > dark mac and cheese

> I don't keep it on hand, but about every two years, I get a yen for
> the Kraft stuff mixed with tuna, lots of milk, a can of mushroom soup
> - bake for 20 minutes in a casserole, then top it with tomato slices
> and grated cheddar. Bake another 5 minutes til cheese melts. I
> found this in an old Good Housekeeping cookbook.
>
> I have passed this on to many a mother whose kid hates to eat. The
> kids usually love it.
>
> Seems like it goes well with a Coke as the wash-down drink.

That actually sounds good! But I may be tempted to substitute chicken
for the tuna...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:
> Do you doctor it up?

> Dimitri

On the rare occasions when I fix it (for myself; HWSRN won't touch the
stuff), I mostly follow the directions on the box -- using about half as
much butter as they want.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:50:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments. Swallowing
>> was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and slippery.
>> The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I needed a lot
>> of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the emergency
>> colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation. The mac and
>> cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only solid food I
>> could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

> OMG! You've been through the mill, Janet! I'm glad that things have
> settled down for you, and that you're feeling healthier.
>
> Carol

Thanks, Carol. It was pretty rough for a while, but I'm great. I guess a
tough old broad like me is hard to kill. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Mar 5, 12:24 am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

> > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

> > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

> > Do you doctor it up?

> > How so?

> > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
> > about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

> > What is your secret?

> > :-)

> > Dimitri

> I stopped buying Kraft Mac & Cheese when I found Alton Brown's Stovetop
> Mac
> & Cheese recipe. It's fast, easy, delicious and I usually have all the
> ingredients in the house.
>
> Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese
>
> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
> Serves: 6 to 8 servings
> Ingredients
> 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 2 eggs
> 6 ounces evaporated milk
> 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> Fresh black pepper
> 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
> 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
> Directions
> In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and
> drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
> Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir
> into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3
> minutes or until creamy.

Got the fat gram rundown on this? Calories per serving?

Ask Alton... but why would one eat Mac & Cheese if they were worried about
fat and calories?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> When I was very sick and could hardly eat anything, I ate Kraft Mac
>>> and Cheese with extra heavy cream added to it. It was one of the few
>>> things I could manage.
>>>

>> That was with tongue cancer, right? Once it got past the tongue to
>> the esophagus you felt ok to eat?

> My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments.
> Swallowing was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and
> slippery. The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I
> needed a lot of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the
> emergency colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation.
> The mac and cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only
> solid food I could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

One of my friends had problems with her esophagus and swallowing was too
painful, her doctor prescribed an anesthetic spray for her throat. One
day she was having lunch and I was rubbing an ointment on the radiation
burns that were on her back, and tears were running down her cheeks,
because it hurt so bad to swallow. It was all I could do to keep from
crying.

Janet, I am glad you are healthy and cancer-free, but it sounds like you
had a really rough time of it. I hope you never, ever have to go
through that again.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> Do you doctor it up?

>> Dimitri

> On the rare occasions when I fix it (for myself; HWSRN won't touch the
> stuff), I mostly follow the directions on the box -- using about half as
> much butter as they want.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> "What you say about someone else says more
> about you than it does about the other person."

Here goes....My name is Sharon and I'm a KD addict....that said, I only
make it about twice a year because of type 2 Diabetes....I made the store
brand last weekend when we had two of our young grandsons visiting. That
and hot dogs and beans...a kid friendly meal...they loved it......maybe I
can get them here more often...lol...shame on me.........Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:

>>> That was with tongue cancer, right? Once it got past the tongue to
>>> the esophagus you felt ok to eat?

>> My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments.
>> Swallowing was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and
>> slippery. The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I
>> needed a lot of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the
>> emergency colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation.
>> The mac and cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only
>> solid food I could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

> One of my friends had problems with her esophagus and swallowing was too
> painful, her doctor prescribed an anesthetic spray for her throat. One
> day she was having lunch and I was rubbing an ointment on the radiation
> burns that were on her back, and tears were running down her cheeks,
> because it hurt so bad to swallow. It was all I could do to keep from
> crying.
>
> Janet, I am glad you are healthy and cancer-free, but it sounds like you
> had a really rough time of it. I hope you never, ever have to go
> through that again.

Thank you, Becca. I hope I never do, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 7:40 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>
> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>
> Dimitri

The very odor of the sauce makes me puke. Sorry. Someone else has to
fix it for the grandkids when they want it for lunch at my house. I
didn't even know what "blue box" meant until I started reading this
group - I never bought it for the kids when they were small - 'course,
they're 43 and 40 now, so maybe it wasn't being manufactured yet.

Real mac 'n cheese takes so little time - not as little as the blue
box, but little enough. Just plan for it about 45 minutes ahead of
time.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>
> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>
> We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>
> Do you doctor it up?
>
> How so?
>
> Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
> about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>
> What is your secret?

I can tell you that I don't use it. My son liked it when he was young,
but when I started making it from scratch he lost his taste for Kraft.
Sure, it takes longer to make macaroni and cheese from scratch, and it
costs more, but the real stuff is good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to eat it once in a great while. ONLY the blue box and it had
to be at least whole milk (or half and half) an some extra butter.
Then a few years ago one of my work colleagues made it and I ended up
working late and had to eat his. He was a heart patient on a low
sodium low fat diet and he made it by dumping all the pasta from 6
boxed in a vat of (unsalted) boileng water. Then he stirred the cheese
packets into the (skim) milk. After the pasta waaaaaaaaaaay beyond al
dente, he drained it and pourd the cheesy skim milk on top and stirred
like hell. Yum . . . yellow wallpaper paste. Haven't touched it
since.
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

heron > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
> >
> > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
> >
> > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
> >
> > Do you doctor it up?
> >
> > How so?
> >
> > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
> > about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
> >
> > What is your secret?
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Dimitri

> When you could buy Kraft powdered American cheese separately, it worked
> somewhat better to make it on your own, choosing your own noodles, etc.I
> wish I could find powdered American or Cheddar cheese sold separately. I
> haven't been able to. If anyone knows of a source I'd sure appreciate it.
>
> Ed

Frontier Natural Products www.frontiercoop.com has powdered mild cheddar
and also white cheddar.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>
>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>
>We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>
>Do you doctor it up?

My little boys (recent pictures here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699999@N06/ ) eat the blue box mac and
cheese at least once a week at home. They love it as is. We
usually eat the Aldi version. I have never noticed a difference
between Kraft and the store brands.

I have just about lost my taste for boxed mac and cheese. When we
do want add ins, I add:

tuna
hot dogs
peas
broccoli
ham
leftover chili -- very good
leftover taco meat -- very good

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 8:54*pm, pamjd > wrote:
> I like it with cheap cut up hot dogs and red pepper flakes.
> But I buy generic and doctor it up.

And you just advertised that fact to the whole world.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 10:44*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Dimitri said...
>
> > Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

> > Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> > We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

> > Do you doctor it up?

> > How so?

> > Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How
> > about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

> > What is your secret?

> I'm a big box o' blue fan.
>
> I routinely change the shape of m&c with a small can of tuna and an
> avocado!

That is avocado abuse. I should report you to these folks:

http://www.avocado.org/

> I'm in complete agreement! -- Andy's Evil Twin.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Mar 4, 7:40 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>
>> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>>
>> Dimitri

> The very odor of the sauce makes me puke. Sorry. Someone else has to
> fix it for the grandkids when they want it for lunch at my house. I
> didn't even know what "blue box" meant until I started reading this
> group - I never bought it for the kids when they were small - 'course,
> they're 43 and 40 now, so maybe it wasn't being manufactured yet.
>
> Real mac 'n cheese takes so little time - not as little as the blue
> box, but little enough. Just plan for it about 45 minutes ahead of
> time.
>
> N.

The steps for my mother's (Velveeta <gasp>) mac & cheese are so similar to
the ones on the blue box I wonder why people even bother. Price, maybe?
You still have to boil the macaroni, melt butter, add milk and stir in the
packet of cheese. In my (and my mom's) case, I stir in chunks of Velveeta
instead and stir until it's melted. Then stir it into cooked drained
macaroni. Same steps, pretty much the same amount of time. (I do go the
next step and bake mine with breadcrumbs on top.) So it must be a cost
thing. Otherwise I just don't see the appeal of powdered cheese sauce.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>
>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>
>We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>
>Do you doctor it up?
>
>How so?
>
>Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How about
>dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>
>What is your secret?
>
>:-)
>
>Dimitri

Butter - plenty of it (or non-transfat margarine)
Can of tuna
Can of tomatoes
Hard-boiled eggs, chopped

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> Dimitri wrote:
>> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>
>> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>>
>> We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>>
>> Do you doctor it up?
>>
>> How so?
>>
>> Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
>> about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>>
>> What is your secret?

> I can tell you that I don't use it. My son liked it when he was young, but
> when I started making it from scratch he lost his taste for Kraft. Sure,
> it takes longer to make macaroni and cheese from scratch, and it costs
> more, but the real stuff is good.

I have never had Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 19:04:19 -0500, Mark A.Meggs
> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>wrote:
>
>>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>
>>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>>
>>We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>>
>>Do you doctor it up?
>>
>>How so?
>>
>>Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How about
>>dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>>
>>What is your secret?
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>Dimitri

>Butter - plenty of it (or non-transfat margarine)
>Can of tuna
>Can of tomatoes
>Hard-boiled eggs, chopped

Plus frozen peas if any are available

Season with pepper, celery seed, dried onoin, Coleman's mustard
powder, and some sweet paprika.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>
>>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

> I won't touch the stuff. Believe it!
>
> Carol

I refuse to believe it.

So there!

;-)

LOL

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> > On Mar 4, 7:40 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> >> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
> >>
> >> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
> >>
> >> Dimitri

> > The very odor of the sauce makes me puke. Sorry. Someone else has to
> > fix it for the grandkids when they want it for lunch at my house. I
> > didn't even know what "blue box" meant until I started reading this
> > group - I never bought it for the kids when they were small - 'course,
> > they're 43 and 40 now, so maybe it wasn't being manufactured yet.
> >
> > Real mac 'n cheese takes so little time - not as little as the blue
> > box, but little enough. Just plan for it about 45 minutes ahead of
> > time.
> >
> > N.

> The steps for my mother's (Velveeta <gasp>) mac & cheese are so similar to
> the ones on the blue box I wonder why people even bother. Price, maybe?
> You still have to boil the macaroni, melt butter, add milk and stir in the
> packet of cheese. In my (and my mom's) case, I stir in chunks of Velveeta
> instead and stir until it's melted. Then stir it into cooked drained
> macaroni. Same steps, pretty much the same amount of time. (I do go the
> next step and bake mine with breadcrumbs on top.) So it must be a cost
> thing. Otherwise I just don't see the appeal of powdered cheese sauce.
>
> Jill

I never thought of that. Two naughty treats in one. :-)

I adore velveeta and it was on sale at Wal-mart this morning for less
than $5.00 for the #2 box. I did not buy any right now tho' just
because the diet is currently going so well. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:45:52 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:50:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments. Swallowing
>>> was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and slippery.
>>> The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I needed a lot
>>> of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the emergency
>>> colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation. The mac and
>>> cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only solid food I
>>> could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

>> OMG! You've been through the mill, Janet! I'm glad that things have
>> settled down for you, and that you're feeling healthier.

>Thanks, Carol. It was pretty rough for a while, but I'm great. I guess a
>tough old broad like me is hard to kill. :-)

I'm glad you're made of such sturdy stuff!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:07:19 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I have never had Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Count your blessings.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> My little boys (recent pictures here
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699999@N06/ ) eat the blue box mac and

They are adorable!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> On Mar 4, 7:40 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>>
>>> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

> The steps for my mother's (Velveeta <gasp>) mac & cheese are so similar to
> the ones on the blue box I wonder why people even bother. Price, maybe?

<snip>

> Jill

In all honesty I have NEVER seen a kid refuse the blue box Mac & cheese.
There must be something in the salty balance and/or texture.

(Velveeta <gasp>) Sorry no Gasping allowed!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:27:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>>
>>>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

>> I won't touch the stuff. Believe it!

>I refuse to believe it.
>
>So there!
>
>;-)
>
>LOL
>
>Dimitri

Notice the lack of an orange ring around my mouth. SEE???

Carol, who grew up on Betty Crocker's macaroni and cheese with Land O'
Lakes American cheese.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>
>> Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>>
>> We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>>
>> Do you doctor it up?
>>
>> How so?
>>
>> Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
>> about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?
>>
>> What is your secret?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Dimitri

> Ok, you can't tell anyone this...it has to be our secret. Promise?

OK I promise - it'll be our secret.

BTW last trip to Wally World - 50 cents a box.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
>>
>>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
>>
>>We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
>>
>>Do you doctor it up?

> My little boys (recent pictures here
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699999@N06/ ) eat the blue box mac and
> cheese at least once a week at home. They love it as is. We
> usually eat the Aldi version. I have never noticed a difference
> between Kraft and the store brands.

<snip>

Good Looking boys.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:35:06 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Tara wrote:
>
>> My little boys (recent pictures here
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699999@N06/ ) eat the blue box mac and

>They are adorable!

They sure are. Seems to me they were just born, though. Dang,
I'm getting old!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Tara" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.
> >>
> >>Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.
> >>
> >>We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.
> >>
> >>Do you doctor it up?

> > My little boys (recent pictures here
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699999@N06/ ) eat the blue box mac and
> > cheese at least once a week at home. They love it as is. We
> > usually eat the Aldi version. I have never noticed a difference
> > between Kraft and the store brands.

> <snip>
>
> Good Looking boys.
>
> Dimitri

They sure are. :-) They remind me of my two nephews. Which reminds me,
I've got to try to remember to pick up some fruit on the way home from
work tomorrow morning. I'm babysitting again this weekend. :-) They
adore fresh fruit for snacking.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
> > Do you doctor it up?

> > Dimitri

> On the rare occasions when I fix it (for myself; HWSRN won't touch the
> stuff), I mostly follow the directions on the box -- using about half as
> much butter as they want.

Doesn't hide that ineffably "chalky" taste...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:50:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments.
>>> Swallowing was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft
>>> and slippery. The cream made it even more so and added some calories.
>>> I needed a lot of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from
>>> the emergency colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of
>>> radiation. The mac and cheese with the extra cream was, for a while,
>>> the only solid food I could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

>> OMG! You've been through the mill, Janet! I'm glad that things have
>> settled down for you, and that you're feeling healthier.
>>
>> Carol
>>

> Thanks, Carol. It was pretty rough for a while, but I'm great. I guess a
> tough old broad like me is hard to kill. :-)

Well, I am very glad you overcame this, Janet. What an awful
thing to go through!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking