Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Noodle Surprise!

Noodle Surprise!

I keep a few foods out on a kitchen counter to give me ideas, instead of
all the forgotten goods in the pantry.

I walked in this morning and looked them over and there was a 12 oz. bag of
extra wide egg noodles. Problem was, it was empty!

I stared at it wondering WHAT did I make with them and why would I put the
empty bag back?!?

So I picked it up and there was a small hole gnawed in the end.

So a mouse or mice ate the whole bag!!!

Also ate one flavor of ramen noodles!

I had mousetraps there but they managed to avoid them.

I threw away any foods that I couldn't wash (boxed, sack of onions, etc.).
Washed the cans and jars and thoroughly cleaned the counter and
repositioned the traps.

Since none of the other kitchen traps had sprung in two months I was under
the false impression I had killed them all off. HA!!!

Talk about a noodle surprise!

Andy
Got country? Got mice!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 9:00*am, Andy > wrote:

> Talk about a noodle surprise!

Yes, I've had "noodle surprise" before. I now keep all of my noodles
in
2-quart mason jars, except the ramen (which won't fit). The ramen are
in a plastic box with a tight-fitting lid. I suppose the mice could
gnaw
through the plastic if they really wanted to, but they haven't thus
far.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Noodle Surprise!
>
> I keep a few foods out on a kitchen counter to give me ideas, instead of
> all the forgotten goods in the pantry.
>
> I walked in this morning and looked them over and there was a 12 oz. bag of
> extra wide egg noodles. Problem was, it was empty!
>
> I stared at it wondering WHAT did I make with them and why would I put the
> empty bag back?!?
>
> So I picked it up and there was a small hole gnawed in the end.
>
> So a mouse or mice ate the whole bag!!!
>
> Also ate one flavor of ramen noodles!
>
> I had mousetraps there but they managed to avoid them.
>
> I threw away any foods that I couldn't wash (boxed, sack of onions, etc.).
> Washed the cans and jars and thoroughly cleaned the counter and
> repositioned the traps.
>
> Since none of the other kitchen traps had sprung in two months I was under
> the false impression I had killed them all off. HA!!!
>
> Talk about a noodle surprise!
>
> Andy
> Got country? Got mice!

You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Mar 2, 9:00*am, Andy > wrote:
>
> > Talk about a noodle surprise!

> Yes, I've had "noodle surprise" before. I now keep all of my noodles
> in
> 2-quart mason jars, except the ramen (which won't fit). The ramen are
> in a plastic box with a tight-fitting lid. I suppose the mice could
> gnaw
> through the plastic if they really wanted to, but they haven't thus
> far.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You can get metal cans. <g>
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 9:00*am, Andy > wrote:
> Noodle Surprise!
>
> I keep a few foods out on a kitchen counter to give me ideas, instead of
> all the forgotten goods in the pantry.
>
> I walked in this morning and looked them over and there was a 12 oz. bag of
> extra wide egg noodles. Problem was, it was empty!
>
> I stared at it wondering WHAT did I make with them and why would I put the
> empty bag back?!?
>
> So I picked it up and there was a small hole gnawed in the end.
>
> So a mouse or mice ate the whole bag!!!
>
> Also ate one flavor of ramen noodles!
>
> I had mousetraps there but they managed to avoid them.
>
> I threw away any foods that I couldn't wash (boxed, sack of onions, etc.)..
> Washed the cans and jars and thoroughly cleaned the counter and
> repositioned the traps.
>
> Since none of the other kitchen traps had sprung in two months I was under
> the false impression I had killed them all off. HA!!!
>
> Talk about a noodle surprise!
>
> Andy
> Got country? Got mice!

Must be pretty hungry mice! I imagine they're laying around somewhere
awfully bloated from so much food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

Om,

I've been given that exact advice countless times.

A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need the
cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.

I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
> > local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

> Om,
>
> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>
> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need the
> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.
>
> I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Change the security system? Do the mice not set it off?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris said...

> Must be pretty hungry mice! I imagine they're laying around somewhere
> awfully bloated from so much food!

Kris,

They MAY be bloated mice now but they're going to be starving soon!

They ruined my "foods on display" technique! I put everything away.

The BUMS!!!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

> Om,
>
> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>
> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need
> the
> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.

<Snip>

Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example cat
or dog heat signature.

Check with your security installer/company.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Omelet said...
>>
>> > You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>> > local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

>> Om,
>>
>> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>>
>> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't
>> need the cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window
>> sill.
>>
>> I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> Change the security system? Do the mice not set it off?

Om,

They never have. I've had them spring traps at many levels.

I'd have to abandon motion sensors in favor of window sensors but with 70
windows (at last count "Patches" just isn't in my future.

Mousetraps are fine. I'll just call them "Patches" from now on, OK? <VBG>

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Omelet said...
>>
>>> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>>> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

>> Om,
>>
>> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>>
>> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't
>> need the
>> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.

> <Snip>
>
> Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
> programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example
> cat or dog heat signature.
>
> Check with your security installer/company.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri,

I just got off the phone with them about an hour ago asking about cats. The
agent I spoke to said cats will present a problem BUT I just called them
back and asked about what you suggested and the agent's reply was, "We can
create a 'pet alley' which does NOT detect motion from the floor up to four
feet above it."

It's encouraging! Now I'll have to go around measuring window sills, mantle
pieces, etc.

Thanks for your help!

A "Patches" could be in my future after all.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

> Om,
>
> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>
> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need
> the
> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.
>
> I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]

Get a Bengal tiger... then you wouldn't need any stinkin' burgler alarm...
naturally it might eat you! LOL

I think you have more than a mouse or three to go through an entire bag of
noodles in one night... I bet you have chipmunks/squirrels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 11:18 am, Andy > wrote:
> Kris said...
>
> > Must be pretty hungry mice! I imagine they're laying around somewhere
> > awfully bloated from so much food!

> Kris,
>
> They MAY be bloated mice now but they're going to be starving soon!
>
> They ruined my "foods on display" technique! I put everything away.
>
> The BUMS!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

When I was a building manager I had a tenant call in a
panic:"Something came in my house and ate my strudel!"

Sure enough. Tiny window in a third floor kitchen. Squirrel came in
and snatched the strudel from the box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 11:20*am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > Omelet said...

> >> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
> >> local shelter. *Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

> > Om,

> > I've been given that exact advice countless times.

> > A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need
> > the
> > cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.

> > I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]

> Get a Bengal tiger... then you wouldn't need any stinkin' burgler alarm....
> naturally it might eat you! LOL
>
> I think you have more than a mouse or three to go through an entire bag of
> noodles in one night... I bet you have chipmunks/squirrels.

Or diabetic mice
Lynn from Fargo
Hates living low carb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9BC26D20F6233CotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> Omelet said...
>>
>>> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>>> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

>> Om,
>>
>> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>>
>> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need
>> the
>> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.
>>
>> I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]
>>

> Get a Bengal tiger... then you wouldn't need any stinkin' burgler

alarm...
> naturally it might eat you! LOL
>
> I think you have more than a mouse or three to go through an entire bag

of
> noodles in one night... I bet you have chipmunks/squirrels.

brooklyn1

No, not overnight! I heard some noises for about three or four weeks, off
and on. I looked all over but couldn't see anything. I guessed it was crows
tap dancing on the exhaust cover on the roof resonating down the dual fan
exhausts!

It's small field mice. A chipmunk or squirrel would have gnawed a bigger
hole in the bag of noodles. Not to mention mouse turds, which blend in well
on black slate.

Bengal tiger. LOLOL!!!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Omelet wrote:

> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

The best mouser I ever had was a calico. Sweet as punch with the name of
Katy. But damn, she was a thorough huntress and dispatched the mice
quickly. We lived in the country and the one time I saw a large rat in
the house, she cornered it fast and that was that. I never saw another
rat indoors.

Interestingly, the black cats I've had were very sadistic in their
captures. Extremely messy kills -- and sometimes the mice weren't
completely dead when they were done.

The Russian Blue I had thought he was "all that" but he had nothing on Katy.

Interesting topic, but probably better suited for one of those cat
groups. I'll leave this one at that.

Andy: Get some glass canisters. ;-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> > Change the security system? Do the mice not set it off?

> Om,
>
> They never have. I've had them spring traps at many levels.
>
> I'd have to abandon motion sensors in favor of window sensors but with 70
> windows (at last count "Patches" just isn't in my future.
>
> Mousetraps are fine. I'll just call them "Patches" from now on, OK? <VBG>
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I just use poison. It's been the most effective.

Try baiting your traps with peanut butter.

Fortunately, I don't get rodents _indoors_!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
> > local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

> The best mouser I ever had was a calico. Sweet as punch with the name of
> Katy. But damn, she was a thorough huntress and dispatched the mice
> quickly. We lived in the country and the one time I saw a large rat in
> the house, she cornered it fast and that was that. I never saw another
> rat indoors.
>
> Interestingly, the black cats I've had were very sadistic in their
> captures. Extremely messy kills -- and sometimes the mice weren't
> completely dead when they were done.
>
> The Russian Blue I had thought he was "all that" but he had nothing on Katy.
>
> Interesting topic, but probably better suited for one of those cat
> groups. I'll leave this one at that.

Cats tend to be sadistic in their kills as a general rule. <g>

--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> Try baiting your traps with peanut butter.

I use Victor's baitless traps. The plastic catch looks like a piece of Swiss
cheese.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Andy wrote:

> I'd have to abandon motion sensors in favor of window sensors but with 70
> windows (at last count "Patches" just isn't in my future.

What about an indoor kitty?

> Mousetraps are fine. I'll just call them "Patches" from now on, OK? <VBG>

Obviously, the mousetraps aren't fine! Oh, are you reusing them? You
shouldn't. Mice can smell the death and that might be why they are
avoiding the traps. I'd be inclined to find another method for trapping
and disposing. A little trick I've used in years past was a small dish
of instant potato flakes with a dish of water to the side.
Unfortunately, it's a bit of a slow and painful death. I've become one
of those "catch and release" types since then. Happily, Bob and I don't
have a mouse problem here as our cats do a periodic patrol of the garage
and the mice haven't managed to to make it into the house (if there are
any out there).

--Lin (advocate for canisters and Rubbermaid totes, making food as
inaccessible as possible so they aren't tempted to come in)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > Try baiting your traps with peanut butter.

> I use Victor's baitless traps. The plastic catch looks like a piece of Swiss
> cheese.
>
> Andy

No wonder you are losing the battle...

Smear some peanut butter on those "bait" catches.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > I'd have to abandon motion sensors in favor of window sensors but with 70
> > windows (at last count "Patches" just isn't in my future.

> What about an indoor kitty?
>
> > Mousetraps are fine. I'll just call them "Patches" from now on, OK? <VBG>

> Obviously, the mousetraps aren't fine! Oh, are you reusing them? You
> shouldn't. Mice can smell the death and that might be why they are
> avoiding the traps. I'd be inclined to find another method for trapping
> and disposing. A little trick I've used in years past was a small dish
> of instant potato flakes with a dish of water to the side.
> Unfortunately, it's a bit of a slow and painful death. I've become one
> of those "catch and release" types since then. Happily, Bob and I don't
> have a mouse problem here as our cats do a periodic patrol of the garage
> and the mice haven't managed to to make it into the house (if there are
> any out there).
>
> --Lin (advocate for canisters and Rubbermaid totes, making food as
> inaccessible as possible so they aren't tempted to come in)

IMHO repeater traps work the best. They don't kill the mice so there is
no "death" smell.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> The best mouser I ever had was a calico. Sweet as punch with the name of
> Katy. But damn, she was a thorough huntress and dispatched the mice
> quickly. We lived in the country and the one time I saw a large rat in
> the house, she cornered it fast and that was that. I never saw another
> rat indoors.
>
> Interestingly, the black cats I've had were very sadistic in their
> captures. Extremely messy kills -- and sometimes the mice weren't
> completely dead when they were done.
>
> The Russian Blue I had thought he was "all that" but he had nothing on
> Katy.
>
> Interesting topic, but probably better suited for one of those cat
> groups. I'll leave this one at that.
>
> Andy: Get some glass canisters. ;-)
>
> --Lin

The cats here, including my precious black cat, all have executed
mice cleanly.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin said...

> Andy: Get some glass canisters. ;-)

Yes ma'am!

[Tipping hat]

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Jean B. wrote:

> The cats here, including my precious black cat, all have executed mice
> cleanly.

You are indeed lucky! I'm just glad that I don't have to come across
little mouse limbs and splatters of blood anymore. EEEEEKKKK!

OBFood: I made another stock yesterday. Chicken based, but with lots of
Maharajah curry and tumeric. The house smelled so good! I can't stand
tofu (it's a texture thing), but I'm thinking that might be pretty good
in this stock. Bob likes tofu and he has resigned himself to having it
only when we have gone out to someplace that serves tofu. Should I brown
the tofu before adding it to the stock and what would be the best type
of tofu to use?

If I can find some fresh lemongrass, that might be good to add as well.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Omelet said...
>
>> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

> Om,
>
> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>
> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't need the
> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.
>
> I WOULD love to have one. [sigh]

Andy,

We have a motion sensor in the house and the installers set it at a
position based on the size of my dog so it would not go off. You might
check with an installer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin said...

> OBFood: I made another stock

Lin,

What? Nobody's making noodles today?

Oh, and as a safety precaution, before you stick your fingers in the noodle
jar... ?... nevermind. <EG>

Best,

Andy's Evil Twin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> The cats here, including my precious black cat, all have executed mice
>> cleanly.

> You are indeed lucky! I'm just glad that I don't have to come across
> little mouse limbs and splatters of blood anymore. EEEEEKKKK!
>
> OBFood: I made another stock yesterday. Chicken based, but with lots of
> Maharajah curry and tumeric. The house smelled so good! I can't stand
> tofu (it's a texture thing), but I'm thinking that might be pretty good
> in this stock. Bob likes tofu and he has resigned himself to having it
> only when we have gone out to someplace that serves tofu. Should I brown
> the tofu before adding it to the stock and what would be the best type
> of tofu to use?
>
> If I can find some fresh lemongrass, that might be good to add as well.
>
> --Lin

No need to brown it for soup. I usually use hard tofu, but it is
really a matter of taste. Probably softer tofu would be better.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> Omelet said...

>>> Om,
>>>
>>> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>>>
>>> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't
>>> need the
>>> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.

>> <Snip>
>>
>> Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
>> programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example
>> cat or dog heat signature.
>>
>> Check with your security installer/company.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Dimitri,
>
> I just got off the phone with them about an hour ago asking about cats.
> The
> agent I spoke to said cats will present a problem BUT I just called them
> back and asked about what you suggested and the agent's reply was, "We can
> create a 'pet alley' which does NOT detect motion from the floor up to
> four
> feet above it."
>
> It's encouraging! Now I'll have to go around measuring window sills,
> mantle
> pieces, etc.

That's too funny, thinking a cat won't go higher than four feet... my cats
leap all the way to the ceiling, anytime there's a bug. Wherever there's a
high spot to perch that's a cat's favorite place... mine can open the
kitchen cabinets over the counters anytime they want, and upper clothes
closet shelves are the high priced seats. Cats can easily reach spots in
one effortless leap where you'd need a ladder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> I just got off the phone with them about an hour ago asking about cats.
>> The
>> agent I spoke to said cats will present a problem BUT I just called
>> them back and asked about what you suggested and the agent's reply was,
>> "We can create a 'pet alley' which does NOT detect motion from the
>> floor up to four
>> feet above it."
>>
>> It's encouraging! Now I'll have to go around measuring window sills,
>> mantle
>> pieces, etc.
>>

> That's too funny, thinking a cat won't go higher than four feet... my
> cats leap all the way to the ceiling, anytime there's a bug. Wherever
> there's a high spot to perch that's a cat's favorite place... mine can
> open the kitchen cabinets over the counters anytime they want, and upper
> clothes closet shelves are the high priced seats. Cats can easily reach
> spots in one effortless leap where you'd need a ladder.

brooklyn1,

Yeah, it is funny, come to think of it.

Dammit!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...

>> Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
>> programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example
>> cat or dog heat signature.
>>
>> Check with your security installer/company.
>>

> Dimitri,
>
> I just got off the phone with them about an hour ago asking about cats.
> The
> agent I spoke to said cats will present a problem BUT I just called them
> back and asked about what you suggested and the agent's reply was, "We can
> create a 'pet alley' which does NOT detect motion from the floor up to
> four
> feet above it."
>
> It's encouraging! Now I'll have to go around measuring window sills,
> mantle
> pieces, etc.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> A "Patches" could be in my future after all.

When I was shopping for a security system, the sales rep told me the "pet
safe" motion sensors can be placed in such a way that cats won't trigger it
(I had 2 cats at the time). There were multiple beams and all of them had
to be broken to trigger the alarm, but with the acrobatics of cats and
climbing I opted not to have motion sensors. The options I did get should
be good enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri said...

>>> <Snip>
>>>
>>> Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
>>> programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example
>>> cat or dog heat signature.
>>>
>>> Check with your security installer/company.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Dimitri,
>>
>> I just got off the phone with them about an hour ago asking about cats.
>> The
>> agent I spoke to said cats will present a problem BUT I just called them
>> back and asked about what you suggested and the agent's reply was, "We
>> can
>> create a 'pet alley' which does NOT detect motion from the floor up to
>> four
>> feet above it."
>>
>> It's encouraging! Now I'll have to go around measuring window sills,
>> mantle
>> pieces, etc.
>>

> That's too funny, thinking a cat won't go higher than four feet... my cats
> leap all the way to the ceiling, anytime there's a bug. Wherever there's
> a high spot to perch that's a cat's favorite place... mine can open the
> kitchen cabinets over the counters anytime they want, and upper clothes
> closet shelves are the high priced seats. Cats can easily reach spots in
> one effortless leap where you'd need a ladder.

We had one who would make it from the floor to the top of a side by side - a
favorite place to sleep because of the warm air.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> Omelet said...

>>> Om,
>>>
>>> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>>>
>>> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't
>>> need the
>>> cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window sill.

>> <Snip>
>>
>> Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
>> programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example
>> cat or dog heat signature.
>>
>> Check with your security installer/company.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Dimitri,
>
> I just got off the phone with them about an hour ago asking about cats.
> The
> agent I spoke to said cats will present a problem BUT I just called them
> back and asked about what you suggested and the agent's reply was, "We can
> create a 'pet alley' which does NOT detect motion from the floor up to
> four
> feet above it."
>
> It's encouraging! Now I'll have to go around measuring window sills,
> mantle
> pieces, etc.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> A "Patches" could be in my future after all.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Pet immune motion detectors up to 40 lbs.

http://www.safemart.com/Residential-...tor-Aurora.htm

The guy who answered the phone was an idiot!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Noodle Surprise!

Lemme guess... You broke them in half?

<veg>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Noodle Surprise!

> Lemme guess... You broke them in half?
>
> <veg>

Cathy,

You don't break mice in half. Everybody knows that.

You slice them into 1/4" slivers to make decent noodle/onion/mouse/cherry
tomato surprise kabobs!!! :9

Sorry you asked?

<smootch>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Andy wrote:

> Cathy,
>
> You don't break mice in half. Everybody knows that.
>
> You slice them into 1/4" slivers to make decent noodle/onion/mouse/cherry
> tomato surprise kabobs!!! :9

Oooh! I see a new RFC poll coming on -- and I bet that Andy gets the TFH
on this one!

--Lin (prefers chocolate mice from La Baguette)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Cathy,
>>
>> You don't break mice in half. Everybody knows that.
>>
>> You slice them into 1/4" slivers to make decent

noodle/onion/mouse/cherry
>> tomato surprise kabobs!!! :9

> Oooh! I see a new RFC poll coming on -- and I bet that Andy gets the TFH
> on this one!
>
> --Lin (prefers chocolate mice from La Baguette)

Lin,

Ahem... I don't get TFHs. I supply them to the rfc cabal. TINC.

I like the sound of your chocolate mice problem. Wanna trade? <VBG>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Lin wrote:
>> The best mouser I ever had was a calico. Sweet as punch with the name of
>> Katy. But damn, she was a thorough huntress and dispatched the mice
>> quickly. We lived in the country and the one time I saw a large rat in
>> the house, she cornered it fast and that was that. I never saw another
>> rat indoors.
>>
>> Interestingly, the black cats I've had were very sadistic in their
>> captures. Extremely messy kills -- and sometimes the mice weren't
>> completely dead when they were done.
>>
>> The Russian Blue I had thought he was "all that" but he had nothing on
>> Katy.
>>
>> Interesting topic, but probably better suited for one of those cat
>> groups. I'll leave this one at that.
>>
>> Andy: Get some glass canisters. ;-)
>>
>> --Lin

> The cats here, including my precious black cat, all have executed mice
> cleanly.
>
> --
> Jean B.

My very large, long haired black cat prefers not to kill them. They're toys
that play back. She was really upset the one time the toy died. I have to
take them away from her still alive. She will carry them around *very
carefully* in her mouth and she doesn't use her claws anymore when she lets
them go and catches them again. Poor mice die of heart failure before she
gets done playing.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 02 Mar 2009 09:38:08a, Dimitri told us...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Omelet said...
>>
>>> You need a Cat Andy. Consider adopting an adult gray female from your
>>> local shelter. Those tend to make some of the best mousers.

>> Om,
>>
>> I've been given that exact advice countless times.
>>
>> A cat would definitely set off the security motion sensors. I don't
>> need the cops racing over every time "Patches" jumps up on the window
>> sill.

> <Snip>
>
> Motion sensors work by IR and changes in the IR pattern. They can be
> programmed not to respond to a certain level of IR pattern - as example
> cat or dog heat signature.
>
> Check with your security installer/company.
>
> Dimitri

Yup, we have 5 cats and motion sensors throughout the house. No problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote in message

> My very large, long haired black cat prefers not to kill them. They're
> toys that play back. She was really upset the one time the toy died. I
> have to take them away from her still alive. She will carry them around
> *very carefully* in her mouth and she doesn't use her claws anymore when
> she lets them go and catches them again. Poor mice die of heart failure
> before she gets done playing.

That's the scary part of cats. Sometimes they are operating on pure, cold
instinct. It moves, get it. And repeat. It doesn't jibe with the way they
are with people, at all.

Surprise Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 81 26-10-2013 07:44 AM
TN I like a Rheingau more than a Rhone white (surprise, surprise) DaleW Wine 11 16-09-2007 02:50 AM
Hot Dog Surprise Duckie ® Recipes 0 18-06-2005 06:09 PM
Potluck Surprise 7Hawks Recipes 0 24-11-2004 05:35 PM
A surprise Cindy Fuller General Cooking 14 29-07-2004 05:26 AM