Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Limburger Spread

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:41 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:

>Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>
>Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
>the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>
>http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>
>Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>limburger.
>
>Chris

Making great limburger seems to be a lost art.
We had two small cheese makers in our area that used to make excellent
limburger but, after they were bought out by the mega-cheese factories
the limburger was discontinued.
Whenever we crossed the border into NY state we always made it a point
to pick up at least a couple of pounds of Mohawk Valley Limburger and
also the MV Limburger spread to bring back home. I don't know how long
ago Kraft purchased Mohawk Valley but, I understand they have now
discontinued making Limburger. Sad.
People that don't like Limburger just don't appreciate great cheese!

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Feb 2009 12:10:41p, Chris Marksberry told us...

> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>
> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
> the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>
> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>
> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> limburger.
>
> Chris

We were very disappointed when Kraft discontinued the Mohawk Valley Limburger
Spread and seen or tried anything else since then. I am not willing to spend
several times the cost of product for shipping. I can buy various brands of
limburger in the block, but we're not as fond of that.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread?
> Unfortunately it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>
> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
> unfortunately the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs
> $3.59.
> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>
> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> limburger.
>
> Chris

I wish I could find limburger - I love it! However, I had to stop
buying it years ago - any time my husband opened the refrigerator he
said it smelled like sweaty socks. :-(
Somehow, neither bleu cheese nor gorganzola can compete.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:26:08 -0500, Dora wrote:

> Chris Marksberry wrote:
>> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>>
>> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
>> unfortunately the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs
>> $3.59.
>> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>>
>> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>> limburger.
>>
>> Chris

> I wish I could find limburger - I love it! However, I had to stop
> buying it years ago - any time my husband opened the refrigerator he
> said it smelled like sweaty socks.

No wonder, the funghi are the same family ..

For an alternative you should try Munster or Maroilles. Of which the
former is the mildest. the second, no other words for it, stinks.
It is bearable, but avoid the cheesecake they make from it.
Maroilles is a speciality from Picardy, Northwest France, the channel
coast. Arras.
All are red-funghus cheeses. That are best if from raw milk, but also
verry restricted available, because of the risk of lysteria contamination.

--

Groet, salut, Wim.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Mon 23 Feb 2009 12:10:41p, Chris Marksberry told us...
>
>> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>>
>> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
>> unfortunately
>> the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>>
>> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>>
>> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>> limburger.
>>
>> Chris

> We were very disappointed when Kraft discontinued the Mohawk Valley
> Limburger
> Spread and seen or tried anything else since then. I am not willing to
> spend
> several times the cost of product for shipping. I can buy various brands
> of
> limburger in the block, but we're not as fond of that.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,

My husband has emailed the company that makes New Amish Country Limburger
Spread and also asked Kroger and HEB (sorry, primarily in Texas) to see if
they might be willing to carry it. You might want to try the same thing is
there is a store in your area that would be willing.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This comes out of the yankee magazine. It seems very close to what a
very old friend of mine used to make. I am not sure it comes close to
what you are missing but I thought it might do the trick. Pam

President Harding's Limburger Cheese Spread
Dips and Spreads Recipes
SAVERATEEMAILPRINT4 ounces ripe Limburger cheese
4 ounces (1/2 cup) soft unsalted butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions, green part
1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions, white part
In a blender or with a fork, mix cheese and butter well. Fold in
chopped scallions. Serve at room temperature with toast points, dark
bread, or crackers. Generously serves 6 to 8 as a cocktail spread or
cheese course.

Perhaps the simplest recipe in the presidential legacy is one written
down in longhand with pencil on the back of a 3x5-inch index card by
Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, a first lady who was not among the greatest
cooks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Feb 2009 02:20:30p, Chris Marksberry told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> On Mon 23 Feb 2009 12:10:41p, Chris Marksberry told us...
>>
>>> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread?
>>> Unfortunately it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>>>
>>> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
>>> unfortunately the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs
>>> $3.59.
>>>
>>> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>>>
>>> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>>> limburger.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> We were very disappointed when Kraft discontinued the Mohawk Valley
>> Limburger
>> Spread and seen or tried anything else since then. I am not willing to
>> spend several times the cost of product for shipping. I can buy
>> various brands of limburger in the block, but we're not as fond of
>> that.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
>
> My husband has emailed the company that makes New Amish Country
> Limburger Spread and also asked Kroger and HEB (sorry, primarily in
> Texas) to see if they might be willing to carry it. You might want to
> try the same thing is there is a store in your area that would be
> willing.
>
> Chris

That's a good idea, Chris. Thanks! We have two privately owned local
supermarket chains that might be willing to do that as they are very
customer oriented. Is worth asking.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry > wrote:

> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>
> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
> the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>
> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>
> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> limburger.

I was searching for Mohawk Valley Limburger Spread for years only to
find it was discontinued shortly after Kraft bought them out 6 or so
years ago.

I've been buying real limburger at Specs but it's always old and
past it's sell-by date (I get it for half price). And it's not
nearly as mellow, smooth, and creamy as Mohawk Valley.

Mohawk Valley was a pasteurized cheese spread like Limburger
Velveeta. I miss it dearly - It was THE SHIT!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:41 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> > wrote:
>
>>Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>>it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>>
>>Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
>>the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>>
>>http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>>
>>Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>>limburger.
>>
>>Chris

> Making great limburger seems to be a lost art.
> We had two small cheese makers in our area that used to make excellent
> limburger but, after they were bought out by the mega-cheese factories
> the limburger was discontinued.

There's only one American brand left and it's harder to find than
the stuff from Germany.

BTW: Did y'all know that the culture for making Limburger is the
same bacteria that gives sweaty armpits and rotten feet their
distinctive smell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:47:41 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I've been buying real limburger at Specs but it's always old and
>>past it's sell-by date (I get it for half price). And it's not
>>nearly as mellow, smooth, and creamy as Mohawk Valley.
>>
>>Mohawk Valley was a pasteurized cheese spread like Limburger
>>Velveeta. I miss it dearly - It was THE SHIT!

> Hmm..I have seen Limburger at Whole Foods, but not sure who makes it.
> I might have to buy some and try it out...

This stuff came in jars (4oz and 10oz) like Cheeze Whiz, not in
foil.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:47:41 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Chris Marksberry > wrote:
>
>> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>>
>> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
>> the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>>
>> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>>
>> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>> limburger.

> I was searching for Mohawk Valley Limburger Spread for years only to
> find it was discontinued shortly after Kraft bought them out 6 or so
> years ago.
>
> I've been buying real limburger at Specs but it's always old and
> past it's sell-by date (I get it for half price). And it's not
> nearly as mellow, smooth, and creamy as Mohawk Valley.
>
> Mohawk Valley was a pasteurized cheese spread like Limburger
> Velveeta. I miss it dearly - It was THE SHIT!
>
> -sw

maybe y'all should hit kraft with an e-mail bomb. start a web page with
their address or something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:41 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:

>Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>
>Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
>the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>
>http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>
>Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>limburger.

Limberger, butterkase and beerkasa are foods of the gods. Don't see
them around much in Chicago either but we go to Wisconsin a few times
a year for our "fix" of those and cheese curds. With the weather
getting better well be making a trip north soon.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:41 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> > wrote:
>
> >Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
> >it's not available where I live other than mail order.
> >
> >Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but

unfortunately
> >the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
> >
> >http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
> >
> >Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> >limburger.

> Limberger, butterkase and beerkasa are foods of the gods. Don't see
> them around much in Chicago either but we go to Wisconsin a few times
> a year for our "fix" of those and cheese curds. With the weather
> getting better well be making a trip north soon.

I have some old WWII - era magazines, e.g. _Life_, etc., and there are
several full -page ads for Limburger made by Kraft and also IIRC Borden. It
was apparently very popular at that time, I wonder why it's popularity
declined?

I also have some WWII recipe booklets that tout Limburger as an ingredient
in spreads for canapes and such...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:51:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>There's only one American brand left and it's harder to find than
>the stuff from Germany.
>
>BTW: Did y'all know that the culture for making Limburger is the
>same bacteria that gives sweaty armpits and rotten feet their
>distinctive smell?
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

I knew even before clicking the link it was either Monroe or New
Glarus. In that area even the gas stations and truck stops on main
roads have little cheese shop areas you can buy it at. Monroe is the
home of Swiss Colony. Their yearly clearance sale is a foodies dream.
It's a 2 1/2 hour drive but well worth having a fun day and it's
beautiful up there.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:51:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >There's only one American brand left and it's harder to find than
> >the stuff from Germany.
> >
> >BTW: Did y'all know that the culture for making Limburger is the
> >same bacteria that gives sweaty armpits and rotten feet their
> >distinctive smell?
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

> I knew even before clicking the link it was either Monroe or New
> Glarus. In that area even the gas stations and truck stops on main
> roads have little cheese shop areas you can buy it at. Monroe is the
> home of Swiss Colony. Their yearly clearance sale is a foodies dream.
> It's a 2 1/2 hour drive but well worth having a fun day and it's
> beautiful up there.

It's popular to deride Swiss Colony but my family and friends like their
stuff and so I spend a good amount of money with them around the holidaze
and for birthdays, etc. I have gourmand friends - including chefs - who
spend big bux at foofie cheese places but they still like their Swiss Colony
that I gift them with. A few years back the mother of one of my chef
friends worked in the customer service dept. of SC around xmas, she did it
to get outta the house during winter and also for the employee discount,
which was IIRC 30%. I took advantage of it several times, my friend would
order for me through her mom. Alas, SC closed their Monroe customer service
center, I don't know where it is now...

I have friends who every summer and fall go up to Monroe and environs to
camp and go "cheese - hopping", they always have a blast. This year I hope
to join them, it's a lovely area up there...not FLAT and BORING like
Illannoy.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:01:57 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

>> I knew even before clicking the link it was either Monroe or New
>> Glarus. In that area even the gas stations and truck stops on main
>> roads have little cheese shop areas you can buy it at. Monroe is the
>> home of Swiss Colony. Their yearly clearance sale is a foodies dream.
>> It's a 2 1/2 hour drive but well worth having a fun day and it's
>> beautiful up there.

>It's popular to deride Swiss Colony but my family and friends like their
>stuff and so I spend a good amount of money with them around the holidaze
>and for birthdays, etc. I have gourmand friends - including chefs - who
>spend big bux at foofie cheese places but they still like their Swiss Colony
>that I gift them with. A few years back the mother of one of my chef
>friends worked in the customer service dept. of SC around xmas, she did it
>to get outta the house during winter and also for the employee discount,
>which was IIRC 30%. I took advantage of it several times, my friend would
>order for me through her mom. Alas, SC closed their Monroe customer service
>center, I don't know where it is now...

I dunno either. I didn't get to go to the clearance last summer but a
neighbor did. She brought of two grocery bags of stuff. there was so
much I was embarrassed the gift seemed to extravagant and unwarranted.
She said the prices on the stuff was all 4 for one. So a big bottle
of fig balsamic vinegar marked down to a buck was actually 25 cents.
there were chutneys comparable to the stuff harry and david sells,
vinaigrette mixes, etc. Both bags cost her under 5 bucks. she had a
whole trunk load of stuff. Quite a haul.

>I have friends who every summer and fall go up to Monroe and environs to
>camp and go "cheese - hopping", they always have a blast. This year I hope
>to join them, it's a lovely area up there...not FLAT and BORING like
>Illannoy.

Mt. Horeb where the mustard museum is, is gorgeous.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>
> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
> the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
>
> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>
> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> limburger.

If you want it, you need to order it. You drop $15 on crap weekly anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 7:23*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? *Unfortunately
> > it's not available where I live other than mail order.

> > Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
> > the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

> >http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

> > Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> > limburger.

> If you want it, you need to order it. You drop $15 on crap weekly anyway.

I tried it and it is very good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Guessing here....

If that's properly assembled, it could be a percolator of
sorts. Steam hits tea or whatever in the basket, then drips
down into the base, a little like a Soxhlet extractor.

But I've never seen anything like it....

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My bad. This was in response to the unknown pot. I highlighted
the wrong header.... Sorry

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:33:59 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

> My bad. This was in response to the unknown pot. I highlighted
> the wrong header.... Sorry
>
> Alex

i was wondering about that. it sounded like a hell of a way to make
cheese.

your pal,
blake
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Marksberry[_2_] View Post
Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

Welcome to Williams Cheese Co of Linwood, Michigan

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris
Ordered two tubs of Amish Country Limburger Spread from Paoli Cheese. Was hoping that it would be similar to Mohawk Valley which could still be found on some grocery shelves here as late as December 2009. Was very disappointed with the Amish Country Spread - the Limburger part was "right" but, unfortunately, the spread is a mix of ~10-15% Limburger and 85-90% Cheddar and the result is a product that starts off tasting like Limburger (a good thing) but finishes with an unpleasant, mildly Cheddar-like taste (a very bad thing). I ended up throwing both containers (one unopened) away. Too bad.

Limburger substitute? KenK General Cooking 15 31-12-2013 04:39 AM
Limburger uses? KenK General Cooking 30 01-03-2012 05:04 AM
Limburger notbob General Cooking 18 25-08-2005 10:58 AM
Limburger cheese Ken Knecht General Cooking 56 25-10-2004 07:03 PM
Limburger? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 15 04-01-2004 07:20 PM