Limburger Spread

Old 23-02-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Limburger Spread

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

Old 23-02-2009, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:41 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
wrote:

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

Making great limburger seems to be a lost art.
We had two small cheese makers in our area that used to make excellent
limburger but, after they were bought out by the mega-cheese factories
the limburger was discontinued.
Whenever we crossed the border into NY state we always made it a point
to pick up at least a couple of pounds of Mohawk Valley Limburger and
also the MV Limburger spread to bring back home. I don't know how long
ago Kraft purchased Mohawk Valley but, I understand they have now
discontinued making Limburger. Sad.
People that don't like Limburger just don't appreciate great cheese!

Ross.
Old 23-02-2009, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Feb 2009 12:10:41p, Chris Marksberry told us...

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

We were very disappointed when Kraft discontinued the Mohawk Valley Limburger
Spread and seen or tried anything else since then. I am not willing to spend
several times the cost of product for shipping. I can buy various brands of
limburger in the block, but we're not as fond of that.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Old 23-02-2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread?
Unfortunately it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
unfortunately the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs
$3.59.
http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

I wish I could find limburger - I love it! However, I had to stop
buying it years ago - any time my husband opened the refrigerator he
said it smelled like sweaty socks. :-(
Somehow, neither bleu cheese nor gorganzola can compete.

Dora

Old 23-02-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:26:08 -0500, Dora wrote:

Chris Marksberry wrote:
Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
unfortunately the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs
$3.59.
http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

I wish I could find limburger - I love it! However, I had to stop
buying it years ago - any time my husband opened the refrigerator he
said it smelled like sweaty socks.

No wonder, the funghi are the same family ..

For an alternative you should try Munster or Maroilles. Of which the
former is the mildest. the second, no other words for it, stinks.
It is bearable, but avoid the cheesecake they make from it.
Maroilles is a speciality from Picardy, Northwest France, the channel
coast. Arras.
All are red-funghus cheeses. That are best if from raw milk, but also
verry restricted available, because of the risk of lysteria contamination.

--

Groet, salut, Wim.
Old 23-02-2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
[...]

Wayne,

My husband has emailed the company that makes New Amish Country Limburger
Spread and also asked Kroger and HEB (sorry, primarily in Texas) to see if
they might be willing to carry it. You might want to try the same thing is
there is a store in your area that would be willing.

Chris

Old 23-02-2009, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

This comes out of the yankee magazine. It seems very close to what a
very old friend of mine used to make. I am not sure it comes close to
what you are missing but I thought it might do the trick. Pam

President Harding's Limburger Cheese Spread
Dips and Spreads Recipes
SAVERATEEMAILPRINT4 ounces ripe Limburger cheese
4 ounces (1/2 cup) soft unsalted butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions, green part
1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions, white part
In a blender or with a fork, mix cheese and butter well. Fold in
chopped scallions. Serve at room temperature with toast points, dark
bread, or crackers. Generously serves 6 to 8 as a cocktail spread or
cheese course.

Perhaps the simplest recipe in the presidential legacy is one written
down in longhand with pencil on the back of a 3x5-inch index card by
Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, a first lady who was not among the greatest
cooks.
Old 24-02-2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Feb 2009 02:20:30p, Chris Marksberry told us...

[...]

That's a good idea, Chris. Thanks! We have two privately owned local
supermarket chains that might be willing to do that as they are very
customer oriented. Is worth asking.

Old 24-02-2009, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

I was searching for Mohawk Valley Limburger Spread for years only to
find it was discontinued shortly after Kraft bought them out 6 or so
years ago.

I've been buying real limburger at Specs but it's always old and
past it's sell-by date (I get it for half price). And it's not
nearly as mellow, smooth, and creamy as Mohawk Valley.

Mohawk Valley was a pasteurized cheese spread like Limburger
Velveeta. I miss it dearly - It was THE SHIT!

-sw
Old 24-02-2009, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Chris

Making great limburger seems to be a lost art.
We had two small cheese makers in our area that used to make excellent
limburger but, after they were bought out by the mega-cheese factories
the limburger was discontinued.

There's only one American brand left and it's harder to find than
the stuff from Germany.

BTW: Did y'all know that the culture for making Limburger is the
same bacteria that gives sweaty armpits and rotten feet their
distinctive smell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

-sw
Old 24-02-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:47:41 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

I've been buying real limburger at Specs but it's always old and
past it's sell-by date (I get it for half price). And it's not
nearly as mellow, smooth, and creamy as Mohawk Valley.

Mohawk Valley was a pasteurized cheese spread like Limburger
Velveeta. I miss it dearly - It was THE SHIT!

Hmm..I have seen Limburger at Whole Foods, but not sure who makes it.
I might have to buy some and try it out...

This stuff came in jars (4oz and 10oz) like Cheeze Whiz, not in
foil.

-sw
Old 24-02-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

[...]

maybe y'all should hit kraft with an e-mail bomb. start a web page with
their address or something.

your pal,
blake
Old 25-02-2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Limberger, butterkase and beerkasa are foods of the gods. Don't see
them around much in Chicago either but we go to Wisconsin a few times
a year for our "fix" of those and cheese curds. With the weather
getting better well be making a trip north soon.

Lou
Old 25-02-2009, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
it's not available where I live other than mail order.

Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but

unfortunately
the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.

http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1

Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
limburger.

Limberger, butterkase and beerkasa are foods of the gods. Don't see
them around much in Chicago either but we go to Wisconsin a few times
a year for our "fix" of those and cheese curds. With the weather
getting better well be making a trip north soon.

I have some old WWII - era magazines, e.g. _Life_, etc., and there are
several full -page ads for Limburger made by Kraft and also IIRC Borden. It
was apparently very popular at that time, I wonder why it's popularity
declined?

I also have some WWII recipe booklets that tout Limburger as an ingredient
in spreads for canapes and such...

--
Best
Greg

Old 25-02-2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:51:25 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

There's only one American brand left and it's harder to find than
the stuff from Germany.

BTW: Did y'all know that the culture for making Limburger is the
same bacteria that gives sweaty armpits and rotten feet their
distinctive smell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

I knew even before clicking the link it was either Monroe or New
Glarus. In that area even the gas stations and truck stops on main
roads have little cheese shop areas you can buy it at. Monroe is the
home of Swiss Colony. Their yearly clearance sale is a foodies dream.
It's a 2 1/2 hour drive but well worth having a fun day and it's
beautiful up there.

Lou