Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What foods taste good without salt?

I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James > wrote:

>I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
>sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
>canned vegetables and they are bad.

The answer is: they all taste good without salt, but *only*
once you've adjusted for a time to a no-added-salt diet.
If you are very strict about not adding salt and eating
only low sodium food, after awhile you will not miss it.
Unfortunately, restaurants do not cooperate with this,
and even eating occasionally in a restaurant will blow
your low-sodium conditioning and you will start to crave
salt again.

You can think of salt as an addiction and you're not too
far off.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James said...

> I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

James,

Your tastebuds WILL adjust.

I'm so non-salt that the taste of it is just about an overdose.

You CAN'T omit salt completely. Goes with the food territory.

Throw away your salt shaker for starters.

Good luck,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

Wine makes a very good salt substitute.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:36*pm, James > wrote:
> I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. *I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

You may want to try fresh vegetables instead. Their fresher flavor
helps overcome the lack of salt.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

Canned veggies are not worth eating at any time with or without salt.

Wait (and suffer) two weeks and things will be tasting better as you get
used to not salting foods. We salt corn on the cob and potatoes, not much
else. I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

Eat everything without salt and just wait awhile, your taste buds will
adjust and everything will start to taste right again. I eat only "No
Salt Added" canned vegetables or fresh vegetable without added salt with
no problems and have been doing so for over twenty years.

Just give it time James.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 3:36*pm, James > wrote:
> I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. *I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

I went on a low sodium diet for health reasons as well, a few years
back. My doctor and dietician recommended the same thing.. fresh
fresh fresh. Stay out of the inner aisles of the grocery store, its
packed with salt! I remember shopping for groceries soon after,
reading all the labels as i shopped.. and walking out of the store in
tears convinced there was nothing i could eat ever again! Yeah...
silly me.

I stopped eating out completely for a while, as i was paranoid about
salt. Cooking meals from fresh ingredients, or using frozen items
that had minimal processing and no salt. One of the biggest culprits
for salt is condiments.. ketchup is horrendous! Start buying your
tomato products (canned tomatoes, paste, sauce) etc in the no salt
added varieties. Spice them up with all sorts of other good things,
skip the salt. Little tricks like that make a big difference over
time.

It's been four years, no more high bloodpressure and blinding
headaches. I lost 21 lbs when i went on the diet at first. I remember
one night i made veggie lasagne that was pretty much salt free except
for the cheese. My husband looked at me and said "wow.. so this is
what tomatoes taste like!". We never looked back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> "James" > wrote in message
> >I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> > sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> > canned vegetables and they are bad.

> Wine makes a very good salt substitute.

I'd guess that notbob would say that
Black Velvet makes a very good salt
substitute. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:15 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
might as well eat styrofoam.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 2:38 pm, tintalle > wrote:
> On Feb 16, 3:36 pm, James > wrote:
>
> > I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> > sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> > canned vegetables and they are bad.

> I went on a low sodium diet for health reasons as well, a few years
> back. My doctor and dietician recommended the same thing.. fresh
> fresh fresh. Stay out of the inner aisles of the grocery store, its
> packed with salt! I remember shopping for groceries soon after,
> reading all the labels as i shopped.. and walking out of the store in
> tears convinced there was nothing i could eat ever again! Yeah...
> silly me.
>
> I stopped eating out completely for a while, as i was paranoid about
> salt. Cooking meals from fresh ingredients, or using frozen items
> that had minimal processing and no salt. One of the biggest culprits
> for salt is condiments.. ketchup is horrendous! Start buying your
> tomato products (canned tomatoes, paste, sauce) etc in the no salt
> added varieties. Spice them up with all sorts of other good things,
> skip the salt. Little tricks like that make a big difference over
> time.
>
> It's been four years, no more high bloodpressure and blinding
> headaches. I lost 21 lbs when i went on the diet at first. I remember
> one night i made veggie lasagne that was pretty much salt free except
> for the cheese. My husband looked at me and said "wow.. so this is
> what tomatoes taste like!". We never looked back.

A two-week abstinance may be optimistic. I've been trying to be as
salt-free as possible for about two and half years (with many
relapses). On one hand, nothing I make tastes right, on the other, if
I add salt, all I taste is the salt.

It is like kicking an addiction.

Try the methadones - lemon juice, pepper, ginger, vinegars, wine,
other things from the vast world of spices. Charred and carmelized
and marinated food. Y'know what? They'd all taste better with just a
little salt.

It is tough. Moderation in all things, especially in abstinance.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:15 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>> I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

> I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
> unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
> might as well eat styrofoam.

Yes, a little salt on those is needed, but some of the chips, cheese twists,
and other mixes are overloaded. Herrs chips are some of the worst, IMO.
Wise makes a low salt version of chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> James wrote:
> > I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> > sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> > canned vegetables and they are bad.

> Eat everything without salt and just wait awhile, your taste buds will
> adjust and everything will start to taste right again. I eat only "No
> Salt Added" canned vegetables or fresh vegetable without added salt with
> no problems and have been doing so for over twenty years.
>
> Just give it time James.

Ditto here. IME it took about 2 weeks for me to lose my taste for salt.

I actually like food better now. :-)
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
tintalle > wrote:

> On Feb 16, 3:36*pm, James > wrote:
> > I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> > sodium food or at least edible food without salt. *I've tried low salt
> > canned vegetables and they are bad.

> I went on a low sodium diet for health reasons as well, a few years
> back. My doctor and dietician recommended the same thing.. fresh
> fresh fresh. Stay out of the inner aisles of the grocery store, its
> packed with salt! I remember shopping for groceries soon after,
> reading all the labels as i shopped.. and walking out of the store in
> tears convinced there was nothing i could eat ever again! Yeah...
> silly me.
>
> I stopped eating out completely for a while, as i was paranoid about
> salt. Cooking meals from fresh ingredients, or using frozen items
> that had minimal processing and no salt. One of the biggest culprits
> for salt is condiments.. ketchup is horrendous! Start buying your
> tomato products (canned tomatoes, paste, sauce) etc in the no salt
> added varieties. Spice them up with all sorts of other good things,
> skip the salt. Little tricks like that make a big difference over
> time.
>
> It's been four years, no more high bloodpressure and blinding
> headaches. I lost 21 lbs when i went on the diet at first. I remember
> one night i made veggie lasagne that was pretty much salt free except
> for the cheese. My husband looked at me and said "wow.. so this is
> what tomatoes taste like!". We never looked back.

Ain't it grand? :-) It's actually hard for us to eat out any more due
to all the damned salt restaurants cook with!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:15 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
> > I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

> I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
> unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
> might as well eat styrofoam.

I don't eat popcorn any more.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:06:10 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:15 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

>> I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
>> unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
>> might as well eat styrofoam.
>>

>Yes, a little salt on those is needed, but some of the chips, cheese twists,
>and other mixes are overloaded. Herrs chips are some of the worst, IMO.
>Wise makes a low salt version of chips.

It's a good thing I'm not a big chip fan. Hubby buys no salt chips
and all I can taste is the grease.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote

>I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

Hi James, I traveled that same trail about 2005 or so for the husband's
needs. He's not on a severely limited salt diet, but needs to have no more
than 1,500 mg a day which was hard to do in Japan and takes care anyplace
these days.

Lessons learned he

1) Cant really do it well unless the family follows along on the diet
2) Can be pretty painless if you take your time at adjustment
3) Adjustment happens at it's own pace, for some 2 weeks of 'salt free'
works, others cant stick to that.
4) Best tactic was to start checking all the labels and the portion sizes,
then start trying a few (not all, just some) new brands of things you
normally get but are lower in sodium than what you used to get. Some you
will like, some you will not.
5) Dont get 20 cans of salt free or reduced sodium soup right away. You may
find that one brand tastes like #$#!% and toss out 19 cans. Get 1 can and
try it.
6) If you have a minimal spice cabinet, add to it. Spices replace salt but
check the labels if they are a blend as many of them are as much as 70%
salt.
7) MSG if you are tolerant has much less sodium than table salt and can
replace that kick of flavor for an overall sodium 'savings' (use small
pinches)
8) Canned veggies arent exactly 'crisp' but what crispness they do have is
related to the salt added in the canning process. Adding salt later to them
will not restore this. Rinsing them before cooking however will help.
- Major tip there if you are a canned veggie user due to lifestyle and
adaption is hard. Drain then rinse then start in fresh water. Something
like 40-50% sodium reduction depending on what the item is. Yes frozen is
better, but thats not always adaptable depending on lifestyle and freezer
space (and shopping habits if a once a month shopper without a spare
freezer).

Keep the following in mind. Your Doctor can get sued if they do not
recommend a low sodium diet but they probably know only about 40% of the
people are sodium reactive. Lowering your sodium intake is a good idea as
at least 4 out of 10 people here could benefit from it if they havent, but
it may not resolve whatever issues you have if you are the other side of the
coin that isnt particularily salt reactive. I for example, am not and my
hypertensive blood pressure is not affected at all by any salt intake. It
*is* affected by other things such as work stress etc. Don however, is salt
reactive and has had one mini-stroke which has not reoccured once we got him
on a lower salt diet. He's allowed up to 1,500mg a day but normally hits
1,000 or even 900.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:15 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

>> I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
>> unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
>> might as well eat styrofoam.
>>

> Yes, a little salt on those is needed, but some of the chips, cheese
> twists, and other mixes are overloaded. Herrs chips are some of the
> worst, IMO. Wise makes a low salt version of chips.

If you look hard enough there are brands that offer unsalted potato chips
and tortilla chips. They're actually very good as long as you don't expect
a mouthful of salt. I particularly like unsalted potato chips. They taste
very... potato-ey Can't think of the brand name, offhand, but it's not
Lays or Wise. (It's not a store brand, either. I could find them in TN and
also here in SC and the stores aren't part of the same company.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
>>> unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
>>> might as well eat styrofoam.
>>>

>> Yes, a little salt on those is needed, but some of the chips, cheese
>> twists, and other mixes are overloaded. Herrs chips are some of the
>> worst, IMO. Wise makes a low salt version of chips.
>>

> If you look hard enough there are brands that offer unsalted potato chips
> and tortilla chips. They're actually very good as long as you don't
> expect a mouthful of salt. I particularly like unsalted potato chips.
> They taste very... potato-ey Can't think of the brand name, offhand,
> but it's not Lays or Wise. (It's not a store brand, either. I could find
> them in TN and also here in SC and the stores aren't part of the same
> company.)

Jill - I've been away for awhile. So you're still in SC? Beaufort, right?
If you need a break and decide to come to the upstate, email me, we've got a
spare room.

Lisa Ann
in Spartanburg