Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

Old 25-01-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

To make risotto you have to use Arborio Rice, or something very equivalent.
The long grain rices don't exude enough starch to make the texture of the
dish. If you do this, and follow the liquid/rice ratio for whatever recipe
you're using, and you gently stir as the liquid is added you will end up
with that creamy rice dish that equates with risotto. It's great with dried
porcinis. Hydrate the mushrooms, and use the soaking liquid as part of your
added liquid.

Theron

Old 25-01-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:32*am, FERRANTE wrote:
Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

I wouldn't have any idea how to make that shit.
I'm a meat and 2 veggie man.
Give me any old meat, some spuds, a few carrots, lots of peas, and
there is hell in me kitchen.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"And where is the Prince who can afford to so cover his country with
troops for going down upon, as that ten thousand men descending from
the
clouds, might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief,
before
a force could be brought together to suck em off?"

Old 25-01-2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote in
:

To make risotto you have to use Arborio Rice, or something very
equivalent. The long grain rices don't exude enough starch to make the
texture of the dish.

I use sushi rice. Much the same as arborio.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Old 25-01-2009, 02:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 9:32*pm, FERRANTE wrote:
Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

Very easy to make actually, and well worth the bit of stirring it
takes.
I don't use a recipe, but generally as much arborio rice as i feel is
needed for the meal, and a lot of low sodium chicken stock (yes,
before you all yell at me, i buy it!). I love it with mushrooms, so i
use a mixture of dried wild mushrooms rehydrated in a little warm
stock and very finely chopped.

I like to cook the rice in a little butter first, just till its a
little "toasted", i like the flavor. Then, using hot stock, add a few
ladlefulls and gently stir while it cooks. When the broth is just
about cooked down, add more, a few ladles at a time. I find i use
about 5 cups of stock to 1 cup of rice, approximately. You have to be
patient and just stir it gently. When its just about the right
texture, creamy and thick but the rice grains are still separate, i
add in the mushrooms, and usually some very finely grated good
parmesan. MMMMm it's heavenly, rich and creamy and goes with just
about anything as a side.... or if i'm cooking for just me it's the
perfect main dish. I don't add salt as i find the chicken stock and
parm are more than enough, but a few generous grinds of fresh black
pepper suit me just fine.

tint
Old 25-01-2009, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Jan 24, 4:32*pm, FERRANTE wrote:
Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

You should find some that is well made and try it first. Risotto is
not about any particular recipe; it's all about the texture. If you
haven't experienced the creamy, succulent texture no recipe will
suffice to tell you what you're trying to achieve in your own
saucepan. Once you know what you're after, though, it is not
particularly difficult to do at home. -aem

Old 25-01-2009, 05:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

The box mix is just a box of Arborio rice with some instructions. Some
boxes have RISOTTO in large letter with arborio rice in small letters, other
have ARBORIO RICE in large letters and risotto in small letters. Same
thing. I don't like plain white rice, but I do like risotto since it has a
few more ingredients that add a lot of flavor. It also has a creamy
texture.

One you make it, you'll find it is just becomes second nature and pretty
simple to make variations. Sometimes we add mushrooms, other times peas,
other times nothing but the onion that we started with. You can use any
cookware you have, but a saucier is easier to stir and gently and evenly
heat. http://www.copperpans.com/facosa.html

I takes about 18 minutes to cook and takes fairly constant, slow stirring
and small additions of the liquid.

Old 25-01-2009, 08:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:06 -0600, FERRANTE
wrote:

Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

You've never ordered risotto in a restaurant? It's one of my "must
order" foods. I've only been disappointed twice.

Mae West
Old 25-01-2009, 11:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" ha scritto nel messaggio Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen"
and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
Mark

I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
look for etc. that I tell my students. It was lamb because that was the
latest I'd made and I love it. Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
does. It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.

It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
Consider it a meditation opportunity. There is nothing more comforting on
cold wet days.

Old 25-01-2009, 11:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi replied to FERRANTE:

Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
look for etc. that I tell my students. It was lamb because that was the
latest I'd made and I love it. Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
does. It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.

It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
Consider it a meditation opportunity. There is nothing more comforting on
cold wet days.

I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
order is called out.

Bob

Old 25-01-2009, 12:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Jan, 00:32, FERRANTE wrote:
Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Risotto is easy to make, but it is labour-intensive, as you have to
stir the risotto all the time as you add the stock. Use either
Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano rice, otherwise it just won't be
the same.

Here's a simple recipe:

Risotto con Lenticchie e Salamini - Italy

200g green lentils
400g salamini
1 bay leaf
2.5 l vegetable stock
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
320g risotto rice
salt and pepper

Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the lentils,
salamini and bay leaf. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15
minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the
onion. Fry over a low heat until soft and translucent. Add the
potatoes, celery, carrots and tomato. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Add
the rice and stir to coat each grain. Stir in 1 ladleful of the broth,
lentils and sausages. Allow to be absorbed into the rice before adding
the next ladleful, stirring continuously. Repeat until all is
incorporated and the rice is creamy and soft, but with a little bite
to the center. Check the seasoning and serve.
Old 25-01-2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
order is called out.

Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

Old 25-01-2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind
of shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who
really don't deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is
practiced in that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three
minutes after the order is called out.

Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

A base may be used that is made daily, with the finishing done at the last.
There is a distinctive taste to leftover risotto, though, so it must be made
at least daily or frozen. That texture suffers, but the taste is OK.

Old 25-01-2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:56:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
order is called out.

Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

i don't have any experience, but i would think it would hold pretty well,
maybe adding the cheese at just before serving.

your pal,
blake