Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned crab meat !

I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?

Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
>
> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

Freezing might ruin the texture. ;-)

Seriously? They are probably scared that the swollen can will open up a
little at the seam without being noticed; just enough to let spoilage
get it (or to leak crab juice all over your cabinets.) Also, if you are
in the habit of keeping frozen (swelled) cans in your pantry, how will
you tell the difference between that and a can that's swelled due to
spoilage?

If the can is bulged more than a little bit, keep it frozen or use it
right away. Otherwise, quit worrying about it (but use it up within a
month or so.)

JMHO,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> to die?

No Of course not

What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?

Don't know try it and see. :-)

> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?

I doubt it but the can may also split and spill crab juice all over when
defrosting,

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
>
> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

No freezing. BAD! If it's canned why do you have to eat it this week? Or is
it the packaged, but not canned, fresh stuff? If it's fresh, change your
plans and eat it, fer cryin' out loud!

I get the fresh (use within two or three days) Maine crabmeat from Shaw's.
Made cheesy crepes and salad last week, and will do cakes for brunch
tomorrow. Harking back to breakfasts of herring roe, bacon and grits, I'm
serving them with the latter two.

Fleece

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> > said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> > maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> > somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> > of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> > to die?

> No Of course not

Phew! I won't worry about eating that today, either.

> What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> > but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?

> Don't know try it and see. :-)

You're just one helluva lot of help, D. :-P

> > Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> > expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?

> I doubt it but the can may also split and spill crab juice all over when
> defrosting,

> Dimitri

OK. I'll leave it in the fridge for a couple weeks.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
>
> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

Either use it up or freeze it separately in your vacuum bags. The
consistency will suffer a wee bit but it will still be good. I've frozen
crab and oysters many times for use in various dishes with no deficiency
in mouth feel or taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> > said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> > maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> > somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> > of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> > to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> > but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
> >
> > Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> > expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> > Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

> No freezing. BAD! If it's canned why do you have to eat it this week?

I hope I don't. I want to know why it says "Do not freeze" and if
anything bad will happen if it, say, accidentally sort of did get sort
of frozen. Yer not readin' between the lines here, Fleece! I left the
frickin' can in the garage too long and it got kind of slushy sounding.

Or is
> it the packaged, but not canned, fresh stuff? If it's fresh, change your
> plans and eat it, fer cryin' out loud!
> Fleece

I've already got changed plans!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> > said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> > maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> > somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> > of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> > to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> > but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
> >
> > Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> > expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> > Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

> Freezing might ruin the texture. ;-)
>
> Seriously? They are probably scared that the swollen can will open up a
> little at the seam without being noticed; just enough to let spoilage
> get it (or to leak crab juice all over your cabinets.)

Oh, sorry -- this is a one-pound can of refrigerated crab claw meat.
Refrigerator storage, not pantry. Looks like I left out that part.

> If the can is bulged more than a little bit, keep it frozen or use it
> right away. Otherwise, quit worrying about it (but use it up within a
> month or so.)
>
> JMHO,
> Bob

Does that still hold -- the month part -- now that you know the stuff
has always been cold (or mostly cold -- the can was still cold during
the time my fridge door was open).

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
>
> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

IANAcrab expert, but I believe the texture might be affected a bit.
That won't matter so much unless you plan to use it au naturel.
In any kind of sauce or casserole (sorry, hotdish) it shouldn't
make much difference.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
>>> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
>>> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
>>> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
>>> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
>>> to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
>>> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
>>>
>>> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
>>> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
>>> Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

>> Freezing might ruin the texture. ;-)
>>
>> Seriously? They are probably scared that the swollen can will open up a
>> little at the seam without being noticed; just enough to let spoilage
>> get it (or to leak crab juice all over your cabinets.)

> Oh, sorry -- this is a one-pound can of refrigerated crab claw meat.
> Refrigerator storage, not pantry. Looks like I left out that part.
>
>> If the can is bulged more than a little bit, keep it frozen or use it
>> right away. Otherwise, quit worrying about it (but use it up within a
>> month or so.)
>>
>> JMHO,
>> Bob

> Does that still hold -- the month part -- now that you know the stuff
> has always been cold (or mostly cold -- the can was still cold during
> the time my fridge door was open).

I'm confused about the canned fresh crab that needs to be refrigerated.
However, it sounds like they don't want you to freeze it because it
still has some texture left to ruin (unlike those little cans that are
already cooked to death -- I still buy 'em tho)

I'd say the partial freezing is a non-event. The texture may suffer a
little but not like if you froze it solid. I have no idea how long it
will keep because I don't know how long that stuff is supposed to keep
( the previously mentioned confused part)

HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:
> IANAcrab expert, but I believe the texture might be affected a bit.
> That won't matter so much unless you plan to use it au naturel.
> In any kind of sauce or casserole (sorry, hotdish) it shouldn't
> make much difference.
>
> gloria p

Poifect. Thanks!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind
> of, you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed
> to die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding
> but more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like?
>
> Is there a reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than
> expansion of the liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge?
> Talk to me! I had a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
> -- a woman my age shouldn't
> have this much fun!

Our TJ canned crab goes on the shelf in the pantry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> >> Freezing might ruin the texture. ;-)
> >>
> >> Seriously? They are probably scared that the swollen can will open up a
> >> little at the seam without being noticed; just enough to let spoilage
> >> get it (or to leak crab juice all over your cabinets.)

> > Oh, sorry -- this is a one-pound can of refrigerated crab claw meat.
> > Refrigerator storage, not pantry. Looks like I left out that part.
> >
> >> If the can is bulged more than a little bit, keep it frozen or use it
> >> right away. Otherwise, quit worrying about it (but use it up within a
> >> month or so.)
> >>
> >> JMHO,
> >> Bob

> > Does that still hold -- the month part -- now that you know the stuff
> > has always been cold (or mostly cold -- the can was still cold during
> > the time my fridge door was open).
> >

> I'm confused about the canned fresh crab that needs to be refrigerated.
> However, it sounds like they don't want you to freeze it because it
> still has some texture left to ruin (unlike those little cans that are
> already cooked to death -- I still buy 'em tho)
>
> I'd say the partial freezing is a non-event. The texture may suffer a
> little but not like if you froze it solid. I have no idea how long it
> will keep because I don't know how long that stuff is supposed to keep
> ( the previously mentioned confused part)
>
> HTH,
> Bob

You've now been enlightened by the pictures I sent to you privately.
Thanks for your help.
-Barb

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> I bought a one-pound can of crab meat at TJ on Thursday. On the side it
>> said "Do not freeze." What'll happen if, say, hypothetically kind of,
>> maybe put it outside where it's, uh, colder than, say, your average
>> somebody's deep freeze and maybe somebody could hear it sounding kind of,
>> you know, "slushy" in the can? If somebody eats it, are they doomed to
>> die? What if it's warmed up some so it's not, uh, slushy-sounding but
>> more like it's supposed to sound -- kind of liquidy-like? Is there a
>> reason for the admonition to not freeze it other than expansion of the
>> liquid and the likelihood of making the can bulge? Talk to me! I had
>> a plan for that crab that didn't involve this week!

> Freezing might ruin the texture. ;-)

Ha, the canning already ruined the texture.

> Seriously? They are probably scared that the swollen can will open up a
> little at the seam without being noticed; just enough to let spoilage get
> it (or to leak crab juice all over your cabinets.) Also, if you are in
> the habit of keeping frozen (swelled) cans in your pantry, how will you
> tell the difference between that and a can that's swelled due to spoilage?
>
> If the can is bulged more than a little bit, keep it frozen or use it
> right away. Otherwise, quit worrying about it (but use it up within a
> month or so.)
>
> JMHO,
> Bob

It probably is a issue with the water expanding. It would be a good
experiment to do with a can of cheap tuna. Just to see what would happen.
Luckily I can buy or catch fresh crab all year long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theron" > wrote:

> Our TJ canned crab goes on the shelf in the pantry.

This one does not. It's out of a refrigerated case and must be
refrigerated.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun! Just wait until tomorrow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Gloria P > wrote:
>> IANAcrab expert, but I believe the texture might be affected a bit.
>> That won't matter so much unless you plan to use it au naturel.
>> In any kind of sauce or casserole (sorry, hotdish) it shouldn't
>> make much difference.
>>
>> gloria p

> Poifect. Thanks!

or a dip, maybe.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:
> or a dip, maybe.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Good idea. Thanks, Blake.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:48:45 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>> or a dip, maybe.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Good idea. Thanks, Blake.

i'd be too lazy to make it, but i have faith in your ability.

your pal,
blake