Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai food recommendation

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

TIA,
--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
m...
> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
> could eat. Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> --Charlene

Ask for Mee Krob. It's sweet Thai noodles Not hot, definitely not
spicy.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-13, Charlene Charette > wrote:

> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I think surely there is! You can browse these recipes:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...tents.cgi?thai

Or browse photographs of Thai food:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/

Some Thai food like Kaeng Chuet Wunsen, a clear soup with pork meatballs,
cellophane noodles, green onion, and fried garlic, aren't spicy at all.
Greens, like phak bung, are stir-fried with oyster sauce and fish sauce.
The spiciness of fried seafood is often determined by the sauce. One of
my favorite "non-spicy" Thai dishes is Gai Ho Bai Toei, chicken wrapped in
pandanus leaves and fried -- The pandanus leaves give the chicken a nice
flavor and it is usually served with a sweet dipping sauce.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

--
Clay Irving >
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
m...
> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
> could eat. Any recommendations?

Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-14, jmcquown > wrote:

> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
> m...
>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>> could eat. Any recommendations?
>>
>> TIA,
>> --Charlene

> Ask for Mee Krob. It's sweet Thai noodles Not hot, definitely not
> spicy.

Yes, and most Phat Thai dishes (sometimes spelled "Pad Thai") aren't very
spicy. Almost all the kuaitiao (wider rice noodle) dishes aren't spicy until
you start adding the condiments from the khrueang puang (ring of spices),
dried chile powder (phrik pon), vinegar with chile slices (phrik dong),
fish sauce (nam pla), sugar (nam tan).

--
Clay Irving >
The imposition of stigma is the commonest form of violence used in

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:

> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> --Charlene
>
> --

Just ask the server which dishes don't contain chiles or. Not every Thai
person likes superhot food.

Shrimp toast (kanom pang naa goong)
Spring rolls (po pia thot or taud)
Baked rice with pineapple, which contains chicken (khao ob sapparod)
Desserts
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette
> wrote:

>My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
>hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
>nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
>it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
>one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?
>
>TIA,
>--Charlene

Pad Thia:
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Pad_Thai.htm

When it's good, it's very very good.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Charlene Charette > wrote:

> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I've never seen plain rice spiced up. :-)

In my limited experience in restaurants, the soups and salads are not
very hot. The curries are often hot, even if you ask them not to be.
Everything else is spiced to order. In a large group, sometimes we
order some hot items and some not hot. The server will bring table
condiments if asked, for those who want to add heat.

If you aren't eating in a restaurant, it's just a matter of reducing the
hot spices. Of course, if you are the only one who wants it mild, and
several others want it fiery, there will be some negotiating to be done.

In Thai restaurants I've been to, the server is the best resource for
asking which dishes would be best for those who like their food milder.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette

>My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
>hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
>nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
>it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
>one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

Sure, just make Thai food without the chilis, garlic, and ginger.
It will not taste right to anyone who likes spicy Thai food but
it may be just right for you.

It's a relatively easy thing once you have the ingredients.
A basic mild Thai curry goes something like this: sear some
turmeric and fenugreek in oil. Add vegetables (carrot and onion
are typical), then in a few minutes add coconut milk (you may
want the low-fat version), cover and simmer. Then add basil, keffir
lime leaves, lemon grass, and your already-cooked protein
ingredient (tofu, chicken, lamb etc.) and simmer some more.
Traditionalists might want to serve over either jasmine white
rice, or Thai purple rice. Due to the thickness of the coconut
milk, it does not require any thickener or reduction or anything.

If some in the group like it spicy, have some Thai chilis
in white vinegar on the side.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
> m...
>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>> could eat. Any recommendations?

> Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
> nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
> the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have
a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food,
my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the
other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They
must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay wrote:

>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
>> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
>> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
>> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
>> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

> I think surely there is! You can browse these recipes:
>
> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...tents.cgi?thai

I'd like to go on record as stating that Clay's web site is awesome. I
already had a pretty good handle on Thai food, but I learned a lot. If you
go "up" a few steps to www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook you'll find a veritable
cornucopia of excellent culinary guidance.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

> I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have a
> nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
> taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
> we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food, my
> wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the other
> at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They must
> use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

That would be an exponential scale. A logarithmic scale would flatten out as
the numbers got higher.

Bob, mathesemantician

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>> I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have a
>> nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
>> taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
>> we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food, my
>> wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the other
>> at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They must
>> use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

> That would be an exponential scale. A logarithmic scale would flatten out as
> the numbers got higher.
>
> Bob, mathesemantician

Okay. I won't argue with someone who us good at math because I flunked
my way through math. I was thinking of something like the Richter Scale,
where an increase of one on the scale means ten times the power of the
quake. A 2 is 10 times the power of a 1, a 3 is ten times that of a 2
and so on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> I've never seen plain rice spiced up. :-)

Unfortunately, I have. Hubby, being of Cajun decent, is determined to
ramp up my spice tolerance so we went to an Indian restaurant (there are
a couple of Indian dishes that I can eat) and I figured if noting else I
could eat rice, naan, and kheer. The apparently-normal white rice was HOT.

--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies. Some friends are getting
together to go eat Saturday night and it was the usual "but she doesn't
do Thai". Now I know what to try.

--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel

email perronnellec at earthlink . net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have
> a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
> taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
> we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food,
> my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the
> other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They
> must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

Hubby travels a lot for business and went out for Thai one night. They
asked if he wanted it Thai hot and he said sure. Even my little Cajun
found it to be a bit too much.

--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette
>
>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
>> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
>> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
>> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
>> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

> Sure, just make Thai food without the chilis, garlic, and ginger.
> It will not taste right to anyone who likes spicy Thai food but
> it may be just right for you.

Garlic and ginger are fine. Garlic goes into almost everything and I
like other Asian foods -- Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese.

--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:05:37 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>>> could eat. Any recommendations?

>> Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
>> nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
>> the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

>I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have
>a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
>taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
>we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food,
>my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the
>other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They
>must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

Once I ate at a Thai restaurant with a friend who'd lived in Thailand
while she was in the Peace Corps. They'd prepared an off-menu feast
for us featuring dishes from the rural northeast of the country --
Isan cuisine. Everthing was delicious, but it wasn't as spicy as I
had expected.

Between courses, my friend told the server -- in Thai -- what I'd
said. The next dish out of the kitchen was mind altering. Scorchingly
wonderful to eat, but I was driving home and had to stop before the
endorphins got me too high.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:

> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
> could eat. Any recommendations?

Do you consider curries hot? I guess there's a range to them.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

Pad see ew -- there's an excellent tutorial on making it he
http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/01...ee-ew-for.html

Pad Thai -- http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2007/01...ai_for_be.html

Serene

--
Super Cool Toy Store (I've played with them, and they really are super
cool): http://supercooltoystore.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette

>>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
>>> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
>>> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
>>> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
>>> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

>> Sure, just make Thai food without the chilis, garlic, and ginger.
>> It will not taste right to anyone who likes spicy Thai food but
>> it may be just right for you.

>Garlic and ginger are fine. Garlic goes into almost everything and I
>like other Asian foods -- Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese.

Oops, I didn't read your prior post correctly. Yes, include
garlic and ginger at the initial stage where spices are
simmered in oil for a minute. Take it easy on heating the garlic
-- you do not want it toasted.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> --Charlene

Like others, I think Phad Thai is a good, nonspicy starter dish.
Although I love various other Thai dishes, I find myself returning
to that embarrassingly frequently. Chicken-coconut soup (Tom Kha
Gai, IIRC) is pretty safe too. Those dishes tend to be my first
tests of a restaurant. Usually (here, anyway), there are marks
next to the dishes, which show their level of spiciness, and a key
to that on the menu.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> I've never seen plain rice spiced up. :-)

> Unfortunately, I have. Hubby, being of Cajun decent, is determined to
> ramp up my spice tolerance so we went to an Indian restaurant (there are
> a couple of Indian dishes that I can eat) and I figured if noting else I
> could eat rice, naan, and kheer. The apparently-normal white rice was HOT.
>
> --Charlene

Gee, Charlene. I have never heard of the plain rice being HOT.
:-( You need to go at your own pace (if you want to raise your
tolerance at all), not at a pace determined by hubby.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We
>> have a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice
>> to your taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there
>> with out son we toned it down because , while my son and I both like
>> hot spicy food, my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one
>> dish at 2 and the other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3
>> was really hot. They must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine
>> what 4 or 5 would be like.

> Hubby travels a lot for business and went out for Thai one night. They
> asked if he wanted it Thai hot and he said sure. Even my little Cajun
> found it to be a bit too much.
>
> --Charlene

LOL! Is that something like pet-pet? Maybe he should be more
sympathetic. My erstwhile significant other always wanted his
food ultrahot, had unlimited tolerance. I got him a very hot
lollipop (labeled of course). Funny thing is he didn't seem to
have the same spice tolerance after that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
m...
> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
> could eat. Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> --Charlene
>

> --
> The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
> seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
> will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel
>

> email perronnellec at earthlink . net

I don't particularly like hot (spicy hot) foods either. See if you can find
recipes online for some Thai seafood soups. If they sound too hot, just
omit the heat. We had some wonderful food in Thailand. My wife likes it
fiery and I don't, but all I had to do was ask.

Keith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Gee, Charlene. I have never heard of the plain rice being HOT. :-( You
> need to go at your own pace (if you want to raise your tolerance at
> all), not at a pace determined by hubby.

Neither had I -- I *love* rice and it sure surprised me! Part of the
problem is before he was travelling so much, hubby did most of the
cooking (I got to shop & clean up). He would gradually up the spice and
that worked ok. Not sure how I survived living in New Orleans. :-)

--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Charlene Charette wrote:
>
>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>> could eat. Any recommendations?

> Do you consider curries hot? I guess there's a range to them.

True about the range. I've had some curries I quite enjoyed and others
I couldn't eat more than a couple of bites.

--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
will believe it. -- Bertrand Russel

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote on 15/Jan/09 :
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Charlene Charette wrote:
>>
>>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>>> could eat. Any recommendations?

>> Do you consider curries hot? I guess there's a range to them.
>>

> True about the range. I've had some curries I quite enjoyed and others I
> couldn't eat more than a couple of bites.
>
> --Charlene

fantastic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
> Neither had I -- I *love* rice and it sure surprised me! Part of the
> problem is before he was travelling so much, hubby did most of the
> cooking (I got to shop & clean up). He would gradually up the spice and
> that worked ok. Not sure how I survived living in New Orleans. :-)
>
> --Charlene

Well, good luck to you, Charlene. It sounds like an ongoing issue.

--
Jean B.