Thai food recommendation

Old 13-01-2009, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai food recommendation

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

TIA,
--Charlene

--
The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one

email perronnellec at earthlink . net
Old 14-01-2009, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlene Charette" wrote in message
m...
My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
could eat. Any recommendations?

TIA,
--Charlene

Ask for Mee Krob. It's sweet Thai noodles Not hot, definitely not
spicy.

Jill

Old 14-01-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-13, Charlene Charette wrote:

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I think surely there is! You can browse these recipes:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...tents.cgi?thai

Or browse photographs of Thai food:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/

Some Thai food like Kaeng Chuet Wunsen, a clear soup with pork meatballs,
cellophane noodles, green onion, and fried garlic, aren't spicy at all.
Greens, like phak bung, are stir-fried with oyster sauce and fish sauce.
The spiciness of fried seafood is often determined by the sauce. One of
my favorite "non-spicy" Thai dishes is Gai Ho Bai Toei, chicken wrapped in
pandanus leaves and fried -- The pandanus leaves give the chicken a nice
flavor and it is usually served with a sweet dipping sauce.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

--
Clay Irving
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlene Charette" wrote in message
m...
My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
could eat. Any recommendations?

Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

Paul

Old 14-01-2009, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-14, jmcquown wrote:

"Charlene Charette" wrote in message
m...
My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
could eat. Any recommendations?

TIA,
--Charlene

Ask for Mee Krob. It's sweet Thai noodles Not hot, definitely not
spicy.

Yes, and most Phat Thai dishes (sometimes spelled "Pad Thai") aren't very
spicy. Almost all the kuaitiao (wider rice noodle) dishes aren't spicy until
you start adding the condiments from the khrueang puang (ring of spices),
dried chile powder (phrik pon), vinegar with chile slices (phrik dong),
fish sauce (nam pla), sugar (nam tan).

--
Clay Irving
The imposition of stigma is the commonest form of violence used in
Old 14-01-2009, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

TIA,
--Charlene

--

Just ask the server which dishes don't contain chiles or. Not every Thai
person likes superhot food.

Shrimp toast (kanom pang naa goong)
Spring rolls (po pia thot or taud)
Baked rice with pineapple, which contains chicken (khao ob sapparod)
Desserts
Old 14-01-2009, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette
wrote:

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

TIA,
--Charlene

Pad Thia:
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Pad_Thai.htm

When it's good, it's very very good.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Old 14-01-2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Charlene Charette wrote:

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I've never seen plain rice spiced up. :-)

In my limited experience in restaurants, the soups and salads are not
very hot. The curries are often hot, even if you ask them not to be.
Everything else is spiced to order. In a large group, sometimes we
order some hot items and some not hot. The server will bring table
condiments if asked, for those who want to add heat.

If you aren't eating in a restaurant, it's just a matter of reducing the
hot spices. Of course, if you are the only one who wants it mild, and
several others want it fiery, there will be some negotiating to be done.

In Thai restaurants I've been to, the server is the best resource for
asking which dishes would be best for those who like their food milder.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 14-01-2009, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

Sure, just make Thai food without the chilis, garlic, and ginger.
It will not taste right to anyone who likes spicy Thai food but
it may be just right for you.

It's a relatively easy thing once you have the ingredients.
A basic mild Thai curry goes something like this: sear some
turmeric and fenugreek in oil. Add vegetables (carrot and onion
are typical), then in a few minutes add coconut milk (you may
want the low-fat version), cover and simmer. Then add basil, keffir
lime leaves, lemon grass, and your already-cooked protein
ingredient (tofu, chicken, lamb etc.) and simmer some more.
Traditionalists might want to serve over either jasmine white
rice, or Thai purple rice. Due to the thickness of the coconut
milk, it does not require any thickener or reduction or anything.

If some in the group like it spicy, have some Thai chilis
in white vinegar on the side.

Steve
Old 14-01-2009, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Charlene Charette" wrote in message
m...
My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
could eat. Any recommendations?

Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have
a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food,
my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the
other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They
must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

Old 14-01-2009, 01:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay wrote:

My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I think surely there is! You can browse these recipes:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...tents.cgi?thai

I'd like to go on record as stating that Clay's web site is awesome. I
already had a pretty good handle on Thai food, but I learned a lot. If you
go "up" a few steps to www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook you'll find a veritable
cornucopia of excellent culinary guidance.

Bob

Old 14-01-2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have a
nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food, my
wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the other
at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They must
use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

That would be an exponential scale. A logarithmic scale would flatten out as
the numbers got higher.

Bob, mathesemantician

Old 14-01-2009, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Dave wrote:

I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have a
nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food, my
wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the other
at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They must
use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

That would be an exponential scale. A logarithmic scale would flatten out as
the numbers got higher.

Bob, mathesemantician

Okay. I won't argue with someone who us good at math because I flunked
my way through math. I was thinking of something like the Richter Scale,
where an increase of one on the scale means ten times the power of the
quake. A 2 is 10 times the power of a 1, a 3 is ten times that of a 2
and so on.
Old 14-01-2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

I've never seen plain rice spiced up. :-)

Unfortunately, I have. Hubby, being of Cajun decent, is determined to
ramp up my spice tolerance so we went to an Indian restaurant (there are
a couple of Indian dishes that I can eat) and I figured if noting else I
could eat rice, naan, and kheer. The apparently-normal white rice was HOT.

--Charlene

Old 14-01-2009, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies. Some friends are getting
together to go eat Saturday night and it was the usual "but she doesn't
do Thai". Now I know what to try.

--Charlene