Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Chinkiang Pork

Chinkiang vinegar, aka Chinese black vinegar, is rich, similar to
balsamic. This sauce comes out like a sophisticated sweet-sour,
though the ingredients are anything but sophisticated. Other vinegars
might work but I strongly encourage you to find Chinkiang next time
you're in an Asian market. The 1/4 teaspoon A-1 sauce is not
omittable, in my opinion.

I lb. of boneless pork cutlets. Pound them to about 1/4-inch
thickness and cut them into 2 or 3 pieces, then marinate in:
2 TB rice wine or dry sherry
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Combine and set aside:
3 TB Chinkiang or balsamic vinegar
3 TB sugar
1 TB ketchup
1/4 teaspoon A-1 sauce
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put a heavy pan over high heat until quite hot, swirl in 1 TB of oil.
Put 1/4 cup cornstarch in a dish and lightly dredge the pork. Then
add it to the pan and fry 1 minute. Add another TB of oil, reduce
heat to medium and fry another 2 minutes. Turn the pork pieces over
and fry another 2 minutes. Remove.

Add another 2 TB oil, then 2 teaspoons minced garlic, stirfry for
about 10 or 20 seconds. Stir in the vinegar sauce mixture and bring
to a boil. Return the pork to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, cook
until pork is just done--probably another 3 minutes or so.

This recpe adapted from Grace Young's "The Breath of a Wok" where it
was adapted from Chef Henry Hugh of the New School Culinary Arts,
NYC. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Chinkiang vinegar, aka Chinese black vinegar, is rich, similar to
> balsamic. This sauce comes out like a sophisticated sweet-sour,
> though the ingredients are anything but sophisticated. Other vinegars
> might work but I strongly encourage you to find Chinkiang next time
> you're in an Asian market. The 1/4 teaspoon A-1 sauce is not
> omittable, in my opinion.
>
> I lb. of boneless pork cutlets. Pound them to about 1/4-inch
> thickness and cut them into 2 or 3 pieces, then marinate in:
> 2 TB rice wine or dry sherry
> 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 egg, beaten
> 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
>
> Combine and set aside:
> 3 TB Chinkiang or balsamic vinegar
> 3 TB sugar
> 1 TB ketchup
> 1/4 teaspoon A-1 sauce
> 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>
> Put a heavy pan over high heat until quite hot, swirl in 1 TB of oil.
> Put 1/4 cup cornstarch in a dish and lightly dredge the pork. Then
> add it to the pan and fry 1 minute. Add another TB of oil, reduce
> heat to medium and fry another 2 minutes. Turn the pork pieces over
> and fry another 2 minutes. Remove.
>
> Add another 2 TB oil, then 2 teaspoons minced garlic, stirfry for
> about 10 or 20 seconds. Stir in the vinegar sauce mixture and bring
> to a boil. Return the pork to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, cook
> until pork is just done--probably another 3 minutes or so.
>
> This recpe adapted from Grace Young's "The Breath of a Wok" where it
> was adapted from Chef Henry Hugh of the New School Culinary Arts,
> NYC. -aem

This looks interesting. Thanks.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

> Chinkiang vinegar, aka Chinese black vinegar, is rich, similar to
> balsamic.

I think it's more like malt vinegar.

It's great when used in place of rice wine vinegar in dips for
pot-stickers, egg rolls, etc.. I go through a bottle every 5-6
months (they're 500ml bottles).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:59:42 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> aem > wrote:
>
>> Chinkiang vinegar, aka Chinese black vinegar, is rich, similar to
>> balsamic.

> I think it's more like malt vinegar.
>
> It's great when used in place of rice wine vinegar in dips for
> pot-stickers, egg rolls, etc.. I go through a bottle every 5-6
> months (they're 500ml bottles).
>
> -sw

i too am puzzled by the comparison to balsamic. they don't seem similar to
me (but then i've not had the really expensive balsamic).

your pal,
blake