Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
Audrey

Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Audrey wrote:

Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.

What kind of rib roast? Beef? Veal? Pork? Lamb/mutton? If it is
beef, how many ribs? Probably two, at most, at that weight. If so, I'd
divide it into individual rib steaks and cook them as such.

If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220C/425F) for about 30 minutes,
then reduce the temperature to 200C/400F und cook for about 30-45
minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30C/90F at most
(anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.

Victor
Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" wrote in news:7E9al.5325$Es4.3780
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
Audrey

1 x 3lb prime rib roast recipe, coming up!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2039223_article-title-url.html

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 12:51*pm, "Audrey" wrote:
Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. *I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. *I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. *I could sure use your expert advise.
Audrey

It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
you'll soon find out. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 1:23*pm, PLucas wrote:
dsi1 wrote in news:67652ed2-b258-4ed7-8874-
:

On Jan 10, 12:51*pm, "Audrey" wrote:
Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. *I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. *I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. *I could sure use your expert advise.
Audrey

It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
you'll soon find out. Good luck!

I've *never* used a meat thermometer...... and my roasts have always come
out just as we want them. (Med-rare)

You're an experienced cook. How does the fact that your roasts come
out just as you like help a person that has never cooked a 3 lb roast
before?

I'm an experienced cook and what I've learned is that I need a
thermometer. Then again, I ain't into meat much. Does this make me a
bad person? :-)

Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in
:

On Jan 10, 1:23*pm, PLucas wrote:
[...]

She has cooked rib roasts before.

It's not brain surgery.

I'm an experienced cook and what I've learned is that I need a
thermometer.

And what happens when it breaks/the batterries run out?? Do you go
hungry till you get a new one??

Use your clock.......

http://www.australian-beef.com/beef/recipes/roast.html

"Beef roast cuts such as Rib, Rib Eye, Tri Tip, Tenderloin, and
Sirloin...

Suggested Roasting Times per pound (500 grams)

Oven Temp Rare Medium Well Done

390F (200C) 15-20 mins 20-25 mins 25-30 mins

Then again, I ain't into meat much. Does this make me a
bad person? :-)

[SHOCK!!! HORROR!!!] You're *not* into meat much???!!!

See .sig below ;-)

Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 2:10*pm, PLucas wrote:
dsi1 wrote :

On Jan 10, 1:23*pm, PLucas wrote:
[...]

We don't need batteries for thermometers where I'm from! You should
check these out - they're great! :-)

Use your clock.......

And what happens when it breaks/the batterries run out?? Do you go
hungry till you get a new one??

http://www.australian-beef.com/beef/recipes/roast.html

"Beef roast cuts such as Rib, Rib Eye, Tri Tip, Tenderloin, and
Sirloin...

*Suggested Roasting Times per pound (500 grams)

Oven Temp * * * *Rare * * *Medium * * * Well Done

390F (200C) *15-20 mins *20-25 mins * 25-30 mins

Then again, I ain't into meat much. Does this make me a
bad person? :-)

[SHOCK!!! HORROR!!!] You're *not* into meat much???!!!

If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole too.
Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
dig Spam! :-)

See .sig below ;-)

Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

Audrey wrote:

Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.

What kind of rib roast? Beef? Veal? Pork? Lamb/mutton?

It's horse, obviously.

Duh.

Season and sear your *beef* ribs on both sides, then into an oven at
275 until it reaches 130F for med-rare.

-sw
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
you'll soon find out. Good luck!

That is completely dependant on the size of the meat and the temp at
which you roast it. A roast taken out of a 275F degrees oven will
not rise in temp more than two degrees, 1 if it's 3lbs or less.

-sw
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

PLucas wrote:

Suggested Roasting Times per pound (500 grams)

Oven Temp Rare Medium Well Done

390F (200C) 15-20 mins 20-25 mins 25-30 mins

390F? Never had properly cooked beef, have you.

-sw
Old 11-01-2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220C/425F) for about 30 minutes,
then reduce the temperature to 200C/400F und cook for about 30-45
minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30C/90F at most
(anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.

Surely not 90 deg. F, Victor. That is below human body temperature!

gloria p
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" wrote in message
Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a defrosted 3 pound
standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long and what method I should use
in preparing it. I've made much larger standing ribs before but never one
this small and all the recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8
to 10 pound roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
Audrey

Is this a 1 rib roast, or is it boneless and from the end? We just had a
small 2 rib[ribs 11 and 12] standing rib roast. It weighed just over 5 lb.
I'd slather the cut ends with bacon fat, and roast at a very low temp.
275-300F. I wouldn't do anything to brown the cut ends. Cooks Illustrated
just had an article about charing meat and whether it helps moisture
retention. They say charing or searing doesn't affect the drying out of the
meat.

Thery

Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 wrote:

If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole

too.
Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
dig Spam! :-)

=====================

Hey! You ARE from Hawaii!
Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
switched to SPAM Lite!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 10 Jan 2009 08:29:59p, Lynn from Fargo told us...

On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 wrote:

If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole

too.
Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
dig Spam! :-)

====================
Hey! You ARE from Hawaii!
Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
switched to SPAM Lite!

I know a lot of people like Spam, at least occasionally. Me, the very
sight or smell of it makes me want to barf. Odd thing, though, is that I
absolutely love Underwood Devilled Ham. g

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 01(I)/10(X)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 1dys 3hrs 26mins
I like work; it fascinates me; I can sit and look at it for hours.