How Does One Clean The Inside Of An Old Magnalite Pot

Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Does One Clean The Inside Of An Old Magnalite Pot

Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with black
spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small One Quart
pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Perhaps this link may help: http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Arti...minum_pots.htm
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
"Margaret Suran" wrote in message
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with black
spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small One Quart
pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

It's not mine. I could not use it even if it were, as it is much too
heavy for my arthritic fingers and hands to handle. I use T-Fal's
cookware, who still make delightfully light weight pots and pans.

The One Quart pot belongs to a neighbor. She is throwing it out, but
she wanted me to give it one try with this news group. Except for the
ugly inside, the pot is fine and can still be used for cooking, but it
sure looks disgusting with all those black spots.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

Perhaps this link may help: http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Arti...minum_pots.htm

Thank you. I will take a look in some of the hardware stores in this
area and ask in a couple of restaurant where I know the owners.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Margaret Suran wrote:

Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

Fill it with water and add about 1/4 cup of cream of tartar. Simmer it
for 10 minutes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
shine right up.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
Kswck wrote:
"Margaret Suran" wrote in message
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

Can't get them any more.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
Margaret Suran wrote:
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
shine right up.

Thank you. I will get some Bon Ami and also some Cream of Tartar
(Barbara's suggestion) and see whether one or the other will do the job.
I have the green Rescue Pads and Comet, but I will try the Bon Ami,
if I can find some. Thank you, Janet and Barbara.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 09 Jan 2009 07:26:07p, Margaret Suran told us...

Janet Wilder wrote:
Margaret Suran wrote:
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
shine right up.

Thank you. I will get some Bon Ami and also some Cream of Tartar
(Barbara's suggestion) and see whether one or the other will do the job.
I have the green Rescue Pads and Comet, but I will try the Bon Ami,
if I can find some. Thank you, Janet and Barbara.

I use Cameo Stainless Steel and Aluminum Cleaner, and use a scrubbie pad
with it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/09(IX)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 2dys 3hrs 58mins
Cats must knock pennies off the nightstand at 3 am in order to get
Mom's attention.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:31:30 -0500, Margaret Suran wrote:

Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

You might want to try Barkeeper's Friend (very cautiously!),
especially if the cream of tartar treatment helped. Both are acids; the
BF is oxalic, which I believe to be rather stronger.
--
Beartooth Implacable, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
What do they know of country, who only country know?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:

Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

My Magnalite has several different types of spots, light areas from
acids, dark areas from searing meats and who knows what else. All
of which have been there for years. There's really no hope for
them, IMO.

-sw
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

Margaret Suran wrote:
Kswck wrote:
"Margaret Suran" wrote in message
Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

Can't get them any more.

And for good reason. They suck. I still use my dutch oven, but the
skillets haven't been used in almost a decade.

-sw

-sw
Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Janet Wilder wrote:

Kswck wrote:
1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

Can't get them any more.

Sure you can.
http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...ageid=240&b=11
I'm still moping over the roaster I passed by at the thrift store. $10,
I think, vs the $80 new.