Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Meatloaf

I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
You can never have too much meatloaf.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Meatloaf

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork
3 large eggs
1/2 small onion -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine ingredients with your hands. Use gloves if necessary.

Pack mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
> You can never have too much meatloaf.

IME, extra lean ground beef doesn't hold together as well, not to
mention it's dry (to me) regardless of the amount and type of binder I
incorporate. I prefer using an 85% lean mixture. Our butcher does have a
"meatloaf mix" that's half ground pork and half lean ground beef. It
works quite well, too.

I like to add bell pepper, and I prefer sautéing/sweating the onions and
peppers before adding them to the meat mixture. I also like a bit more
ketchup. Other than that, the ingredients are about the same -- though I
might swap bread moistened with milk or water with bread crumbs. (I do
have an acquaintance that swears brown sugar is the secret to great
meatloaf -- I haven't tried it myself).

Where I differ the most is in the baking. I prefer forming it into a
large loaf and wrapping it in foil with the opening at the top. I place
the loaf on a rack in a roasting pan because the grease (thankfully)
finds a way to leak out. About 15-20 minutes before removing it from the
oven, I open the top of the foil so it can let off steam and brown on
the top. This also gives the grease a chance to flow away from the meat.

My version makes for awesome meatloaf sandwiches!

Thanks for planting that craving, Carol! And here I was planning on
making boring old chicken. ;-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 07 Jan 2009 05:03:08p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...

> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Meatloaf
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

> 2 pounds lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 teaspoon minced garlic
> 3 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
>
> Combine ingredients with your hands. Use gloves if necessary.
>
> Pack mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.

This one is my favorite, Carol. It can easily be doubled for a larger
loaf. I usually use 85% lean ground beef, or a 2:1 mixture of ground beef
and ground pork.

* Exported from MasterCook *

13 Crackers Meat Loaf

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Egg
1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 Teaspon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Pound Ground Beef
1/3 Cup Chopped Onion
1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper
13 Saltine Crackers -- finely crushed
1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Whisk together the egg, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard,
salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.

Crumble ground beef into large mixing bowl.

Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and crushed crackers.

Toss meat mixture together with two forks until all ingredients are well
distributed.

Add reserved egg mixture and mix thoroughly with hands.

Shape into an oval loaf and place in baking dish.

Smooth top and spread 1 tablespoon chili sauce evenly over surface.

Bake in lower third of oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until nicely brown
and juices run clear.

Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to stand 15 minutes
before slicing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/07(VII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 4dys 6hrs 21mins
Bus error - passengers dumped.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Meatloaf
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

> 2 pounds lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 teaspoon minced garlic
> 3 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
>
> Combine ingredients with your hands. Use gloves if necessary.
>
> Pack mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.

I use approximately the same ingredients as you (I usually use just lean
beef mince) but I add several tablespoons of milk to the mix..no science
behind it, but I find the end result comes out moist and tender

I also do the following:

place approx half the mix in a loaf tin, place bacon rashers along the top,
line up 2-3 hard-boiled eggs along the centre (depends on size of loaf tin)
build up mince on either side of the eggs until level with them, add more
rashers of bacon, then top with remaining mince mixture

Cook, covered with foil for the first 30 mins or so; drain juices from pan,
return to oven and finish cooking

use juices to make a gravy

so, when the meatloaf is sliced, you get this nice round of egg in the
middle, surrounded by bacon, and then the meatloaf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Meatloaf
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

> 2 pounds lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 teaspoon minced garlic
> 3 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
>
> Combine ingredients with your hands. Use gloves if necessary.
>
> Pack mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.

That is pretty much what I made tonight. The only think they are missing
is the horseradish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Meatloaf
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

> 2 pounds lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 teaspoon minced garlic
> 3 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
>
> Combine ingredients with your hands. Use gloves if necessary.
>
> Pack mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.

Here are a couple of TNT recipes for you:

Roasted Vegetable Meatloaf
Source: Fifty-Two Meat Loaves by Michael McLaughlin. I forget
how much I changed the recipe from what was in the book.

My favorite meatloaf! And an excellent way to get some nutrients
into picky eaters.

1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
2 large carrots, peeled and in chunks
1 medium red bell pepper, halved, seeded and sans stem
1-2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/2 c evaporated milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground pork
1/2 c dry herb bread crumbs
1/2 c wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

Roast onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic and cool in pan.
Set oven temp at 350F.
Peel garlic. Process roasted veggies and milk, egg, and
Worcestershire Sauce in blender until almost smooth. Combine with
all remaining ingredients. Spoon into sprayed 9x5x3” loaf pan.
[JB: may want to try topping with bacon so it doesn’t dry out.
This only happened one time, but…] Bake 1 hour at 350F. Let
stand ca 10 minutes ere serving.

Barbequed Meatloaf
Source: God only knows. I have had this for a LONG time, and
have also seen recipes like it quite a few times.

My daughter, who usually ate a very small amount of food even when
she declared it was great, gobbled up whole slices of this mildly
spiced meatloaf. If you want an even milder version, just mix the
tomato sauce that is used for the topping with 1 c water and don’t
bother making the barbecue sauce.

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (at least 85% lean)
1/2 c fresh bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
1/4 c wheat germ
1 medium-small onion, chopped
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
16 oz salt-free tomato sauce (JB: should this be 8 oz???)
1/2 c water
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
2 Tbsp prepared brown mustard (not Dijon)
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, wheat germ, onion, egg, salt,
pepper, and 1/2 c of the tomato sauce. Form into a loaf on a
shallow 7x10-inch pan. Combine the rest of the tomato sauce and
all the remaining ingredients and pour over the loaf. Bake 1 hour
and 15 minutes at 350F, basting ca every 15 minutes.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol,
I don't really have a recipe, but I do have a "ritual".
Get a pound of 80-85% ground beef and a half a pound of ground pork.
(I love the "meatloat mix (beef, pork veal) the butcher makes
but I refuse to pay over $3 a pound for ground ANYTHING.

In the bottom of a medium bowl put a couple of
slices of totally non-nutritional soft white bread.

Pour a small can of evaporated milk over the bread.
Add a couple of eggs, a large "glug" of Worcestershire,
a "blob" of catsup, and whatever else floats your boat
(Tabasco, garlic powder anything except salt. . . )
Mix this well with a hand mixer (or your hands).

In a big bowl, put the meat(s).
Sprinkle half a package of dry onion soup mix over the meat(s)
(Mix up the soup mix in the package and try to get
half the onion pieces and half the brown powder)

Pour the wet stuff over the dry stuff and mix lightly with your hands.
Glop it into a loaf pan.

Mix about 4 or 5 Tbs catsup with a couple Tbs worcestershire
and 3 or 4 Tbs brown sugar.

With the BOTTOM of a wooden spoon,
make holes about 1" deep on top of the loaf.

Pour the catsup/sugar stuff over the top.
(Encourage it to run into the holes.)

Bake at 400F until done.
Bake potatoes at the same time!

Leftovers make killer sandwiches the next day.
Love.
(Carol) Lynn from Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *

<snip>
Mine is almost exactly the same but I don't pack it into a loaf pan. I make
a rounded mound and put it in the center of a larger pan than the mound
size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message

> Roast onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic and cool in pan.
> Set oven temp at 350F.
> Peel garlic.

I will have to try your recipe (sorry I snipped, but I have a question about
what I left). So do you roast the garlic head whole without separating the
cloves?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:17:29 -0500, "Cheryl"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
>> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
>> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>

><snip>
>Mine is almost exactly the same but I don't pack it into a loaf pan. I make
>a rounded mound and put it in the center of a larger pan than the mound
>size

A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
it making it the way I do.

Carol, who never claimed to make sense

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 07 Jan 2009 08:41:59p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:17:29 -0500, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
>>> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
>>> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>

>><snip>
>>Mine is almost exactly the same but I don't pack it into a loaf pan. I
>>make a rounded mound and put it in the center of a larger pan than the
>>mound size

> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
> it making it the way I do.
>
> Carol, who never claimed to make sense

My mom always made her meatloaf in an oval mound, and I always likde it.
When I first started cooking, however, I began making it in a loafpan. I
soon learned that I was missing that crust and I quit using the pan.
Another factor is that I sometimes like putting root vegetables around the
meatloaf which is impossible in a loaf pan.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/07(VII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 4dys 3hrs 9mins
My biology I know. You I worry about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
> it making it the way I do.

That might make a good meatloaf cooked mostly your way, then remove to a
sheet pan to try to get rid of the fat. It would be crunchy that way, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:19:56 -0500, "Cheryl"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .

>> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
>> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
>> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
>> it making it the way I do.

>That might make a good meatloaf cooked mostly your way, then remove to a
>sheet pan to try to get rid of the fat. It would be crunchy that way, too.

I wubs you, Cheryl ..... that's exactly how I'll do my next meatloaf!

Thanks!
Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Duh'Weenie wrote:
>
> > 13 Crackers Meat Loaf
> > 1 Egg
> > 1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
> > 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
> > 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
> > 1/2 Teaspon Salt
> > 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
> > 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
> > 1 Pound Ground Beef
> > 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion
> > 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper
> > 13 Saltine Crackers -- finely crushed
> > 1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce

> > Crumble ground beef into large mixing bowl.

> LARGE mixing bowl... for ONE measly pound of meat... that load of
> garbage won't fill a one quart bowl... can you even buy a one pound
> package of ground beef, I've never seen one so tiny.
>
> That ain't meat loaf, that's like a couple burgers... don't even pay
> to light an oven for something less than a couple crappy salisbury
> steaks... calling one pound of meat a meatloaf is like calling two
> small shrimp and a Tbls ketchup a shrimp cocktail.
>
> Yet another recipe the disingenuous child molesting faggot bitch stole
> and didn't give credit: *http://www.recipezaar.com/13-Crackers-Meatloaf-123746
>
> Duh'Weenie the fairy cook! <G>
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Not only does Wayne embarrass me because he's a ghastly example of a
homosexual in these supposedly modern times, but his twit - faced
"recipes" read like something from _The Panty - Waist Fairy Tea Room
Cookbook_...AND on top of that they are STOLEN...GAWD...!!!

Holy Christopher, "13 cracker meatloaf"...no wonder he was picked upon
as a kid, lol.

The recipe sounds like one of those old - fashioned "sick room"
recipes from my Mom's c. 1929 home ec cookbook...bland...sickly...and
BORING. Even the E-Z Bake Oven comes with a better meatloaf recipe
than THAT.

And "finely crushed" crackers, my ass.. I'd like to *crush* the puke's
smarmy face into a garbage disposal...and even then his stench - and
that from his "cooking" - would linger like sewer gas on a July day
in an Arkansaw swamp!

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 07 Jan 2009 09:31:40p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:19:56 -0500, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
>>> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
>>> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
>>> it making it the way I do.

>>That might make a good meatloaf cooked mostly your way, then remove to a
>>sheet pan to try to get rid of the fat. It would be crunchy that way,

too.

> I wubs you, Cheryl ..... that's exactly how I'll do my next meatloaf!
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

Another good reason for this method is that some meatloaf mixturess will
not hold together unless they are cooked in a loafpan. Once cooked and
stable, they can be removed to a larger baking sheet to brown and crisp.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/07(VII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 4dys 2hrs 27mins
2 + 2 = 4 (for the time being).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel wrote:

> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
> it making it the way I do.

As I see it, the main drawback to making meatloaf on a sheet pan is that
when you make it that way you end up with a lens-shaped loaf which doesn't
work as well for sandwiches. I've seen the suggestion to initially cook the
loaf in a loaf pan and then finish cooking it on a sheet pan; I'm wondering
if you can get an even better crust by finishing it in a cast-iron pan on
the stovetop.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:16:07 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
>> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
>> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
>> it making it the way I do.

>As I see it, the main drawback to making meatloaf on a sheet pan is that
>when you make it that way you end up with a lens-shaped loaf which doesn't
>work as well for sandwiches. I've seen the suggestion to initially cook the
>loaf in a loaf pan and then finish cooking it on a sheet pan; I'm wondering
>if you can get an even better crust by finishing it in a cast-iron pan on
>the stovetop.

I wubs you, too, Bob!

SMOOOOOOTCH!
Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joy Joy is offline

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:17:29 -0500, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
>>> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
>>> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>>>

>>Mine is almost exactly the same but I don't pack it into a loaf pan. I
>>make
>>a rounded mound and put it in the center of a larger pan than the mound
>>size

> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
> it making it the way I do.

The crust is my favorite part, too, especially for sandwiches, so I just
spread my mix directly on a sheet pan. You can make it as thick as you'd
like, leaving room around the edge for fat runoff. For sandwiches, you can
cut it to fit any size of bread you happen to have, and it's all crust!
Kinda like using muffin-top pans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 08 Jan 2009 01:02:30a, Joy told us...

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:17:29 -0500, "Cheryl"
>> > wrote:

>>>Mine is almost exactly the same but I don't pack it into a loaf pan. I
>>>make
>>>a rounded mound and put it in the center of a larger pan than the mound
>>>size

>> A recurring response! I think it's because my mom made hers in a loaf
>> pan that I prefer it that way. It's weird, because I love the
>> crunchy, outside part of the meatloaf, and I lose a huge percentage of
>> it making it the way I do.
>>

> The crust is my favorite part, too, especially for sandwiches, so I just
> spread my mix directly on a sheet pan. You can make it as thick as
> you'd like, leaving room around the edge for fat runoff. For
> sandwiches, you can cut it to fit any size of bread you happen to have,
> and it's all crust! Kinda like using muffin-top pans.

That reminds me of something my mother used to make. It was basically the
same mixture of things she put in her meatloaf, but shaped into one huge
patty on a baking sheet. She cooked it under the broiler and called it
"penny wise steak".

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/08(VIII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 3dys 18hrs 25mins
EXPANSION SLOTS: The extra holes in your belt buckle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>
>> Roast onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic and cool in pan.
>> Set oven temp at 350F.
>> Peel garlic.

> I will have to try your recipe (sorry I snipped, but I have a question
> about what I left). So do you roast the garlic head whole without
> separating the cloves?

No. Note that this just uses a couple of cloves, which have been
been separated from the unroasted head. I don't love roasted
garlic, so I don't have heads of it waiting to be used.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joy wrote:
> The crust is my favorite part, too, especially for sandwiches, so I just
> spread my mix directly on a sheet pan. You can make it as thick as
> you'd like, leaving room around the edge for fat runoff. For
> sandwiches, you can cut it to fit any size of bread you happen to have,
> and it's all crust! Kinda like using muffin-top pans.

That's just too good an idea! I'll have to try that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

> I like to add bell pepper, and I prefer sautéing/sweating the onions and
> peppers before adding them to the meat mixture.

Adding chopped celery to this mix is a nice addition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I'm in a comfort food frame of mind, I guess. This is my meatloaf
> recipe. I'd be interested in checking out other people's versions.
> You can never have too much meatloaf.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Meatloaf
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Meatloaves/Meatballs

> 2 pounds lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 teaspoon minced garlic
> 3 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
>
> Combine ingredients with your hands. Use gloves if necessary.
>
> Pack mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.

Sometimes I'll sub Heinze chile sauce for the ketchup and also add a
little thyme.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Lin wrote:
>

>> I like to add bell pepper, and I prefer sautéing/sweating the onions
>> and peppers before adding them to the meat mixture.

> Adding chopped celery to this mix is a nice addition.

I also want to add that I saute my onion/celery in butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:02:30 -0800, "Joy" >
wrote:

>The crust is my favorite part, too, especially for sandwiches, so I just
>spread my mix directly on a sheet pan. You can make it as thick as you'd
>like, leaving room around the edge for fat runoff. For sandwiches, you can
>cut it to fit any size of bread you happen to have, and it's all crust!
>Kinda like using muffin-top pans.

Joy, you are an evil genius! Thank you! I've never heard of sheet
meatloaf before. And I'll bet it cooks a lot faster, saving energy,
too!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 08:30:21 -0600, Scott > wrote:

>Sometimes I'll sub Heinze chile sauce for the ketchup and also add a
>little thyme.

Nice! I adore thyme ... will have to give that a try! Thank you,
Scott.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 08:30:21 -0600, Scott > wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I'll sub Heinze chile sauce for the ketchup and also add a
>> little thyme.

> Nice! I adore thyme

Same here. I didn't start using it though until last year so I'm still
finding more ways to use it. I now use it in cottage pie, chuck roast
and of course meatloaf. I did use it in my spaghetti sauce a couple of
times but wasn't satisfied with the results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Last time I made mealoaf I discovered (AFTER I had mixed up the meat,
eggs, breadcrumbs and so on) that I had NO ketchup, no tomato sauce or
paste, no tomato anything!

So....I used various of my Asian sauces, Hoy Sin, a little Oyster
sauce....It came out wonderful! I discovered my Asian meatload by
accident, but it's my preferred method now. Also, I use half ground
beef and half ground turkey to cut down a bit on the cholesterol. You'd
never know it---(works well wirth chili, too)

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joy Joy is offline

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:02:30 -0800, "Joy" >
> wrote:
>
>>The crust is my favorite part, too, especially for sandwiches, so I just
>>spread my mix directly on a sheet pan. You can make it as thick as you'd
>>like, leaving room around the edge for fat runoff. For sandwiches, you
>>can
>>cut it to fit any size of bread you happen to have, and it's all crust!
>>Kinda like using muffin-top pans.

> Joy, you are an evil genius! Thank you! I've never heard of sheet
> meatloaf before. And I'll bet it cooks a lot faster, saving energy,
> too!

Why, thank you! It does cook faster and more fat drains out, as well. I
suppose, if your mix is thick enough, you could even press it flat first and
place on a rack in the sheet pan to drain the fat even more. I find I have
to remember to 'parnuke' the traditional bake-along potato, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:32:16 -0600, Scott > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 08:30:21 -0600, Scott > wrote:
>>
>>> Sometimes I'll sub Heinze chile sauce for the ketchup and also add a
>>> little thyme.

>> Nice! I adore thyme

>Same here. I didn't start using it though until last year so I'm still
>finding more ways to use it. I now use it in cottage pie, chuck roast
>and of course meatloaf. I did use it in my spaghetti sauce a couple of
>times but wasn't satisfied with the results.

I don't think I'd like it in spaghetti sauce, either. It's excellent
in vegetable beef soup, though.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Scott wrote:

>> I like to add bell pepper, and I prefer sautéing/sweating the onions
>> and peppers before adding them to the meat mixture.

> Adding chopped celery to this mix is a nice addition.

Quite true! I've been finding that I prefer adding celery to things I
didn't think of adding it to before. My mom made it sans celery, so I
don't think about adding it when I make my meatloaf. I shall try to
remember for next time!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>>> I like to add bell pepper, and I prefer saut�ing/sweating the onions
>>> and peppers before adding them to the meat mixture.

>> Adding chopped celery to this mix is a nice addition.

> Quite true! I've been finding that I prefer adding celery to things I
> didn't think of adding it to before. My mom made it sans celery, so I
> don't think about adding it when I make my meatloaf. I shall try to
> remember for next time!
>
> --Lin

I suppose its time for my routine rant on fine grained meat loaf,
suitable for slicing for sandwich's.

I realize some people like the chunky style meat loaf, but once when i
was being lazy and didn't feel like cutting up all the veggies with a
knife i tossed them in the food processor and pureed them, onions, bell
pepper, celery, cabbage & etc. added them to the meat mix with
seasonings and a cup of stock and mixed it all up.

I was following Leah Wolf''s recipe in her great book "Jewish Cookery"
and thought i had made a mistake in adding the stock to the meat &
veggie mix, it turned the mix rather soupy, rather liquid, there was
nothing left to do about it except put it in the oven and cook it.

It turned out marvelous, very fine grained, almost pate like in
consistency, and just about perfect for slicing for sandwich.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> I suppose its time for my routine rant on fine grained meat loaf,
> suitable for slicing for sandwich's.

and ...

> It turned out marvelous, very fine grained, almost pate like in
> consistency, and just about perfect for slicing for sandwich.

Hey ... where was your rant in there? I didn't see it ... ;-)

I might add that my mom never sautéed or sweated the veggies before
adding. Now, THAT was a chunky meatloaf.

The veggies have cooked through so much by the time my meatloaf is done
that I get the slicing variety so highly coveted around here.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote:

> It turned out marvelous, very fine grained, almost pate like in
> consistency, and just about perfect for slicing for sandwich.
> --

This is the first time I have been tempted to buy a food processor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 07 Jan 2009 09:31:40p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...
>
>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:19:56 -0500, "Cheryl"
>> > wrote:

>>> That might make a good meatloaf cooked mostly your way, then remove to a
>>> sheet pan to try to get rid of the fat. It would be crunchy that way,

> too.
>> I wubs you, Cheryl ..... that's exactly how I'll do my next meatloaf!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Carol
>>

> Another good reason for this method is that some meatloaf mixturess will
> not hold together unless they are cooked in a loafpan. Once cooked and
> stable, they can be removed to a larger baking sheet to brown and crisp.

I start mine in a loaf pan, then move it over to a 8X8 pan, then 13X9
pan, then finally a sheet pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 18:50:29 -0600, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>Damsel,
> I am really enjoying your recipes. They sound delcious and simple to
>make. I look forward to any more that you might share with us!
>
>Mark

Well, thank you very much! I'll see if I can find a couple more this
evening and tomorrow. Then you guys will get a reprieve from my posts
until at least Wednesday. We're in the process of moving to our new
place, and the cable won't be wired until Wednesday.

Thanks again ... you made a terrible day a little brighter!
Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 08 Jan 2009 02:33:23p, Scott told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 07 Jan 2009 09:31:40p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...
>>
>>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:19:56 -0500, "Cheryl"

>> too.
>>> I wubs you, Cheryl ..... that's exactly how I'll do my next meatloaf!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Carol
>>>

>> Another good reason for this method is that some meatloaf mixturess
>> will not hold together unless they are cooked in a loafpan. Once
>> cooked and stable, they can be removed to a larger baking sheet to
>> brown and crisp.
>>

> I start mine in a loaf pan, then move it over to a 8X8 pan, then 13X9
> pan, then finally a sheet pan.

Sounds like a good strategy to me!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/08(VIII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 3dys 6hrs 29mins
Even experienced public speakers get butterflies. The trick is to
make them fly in formation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote:
>>
>> It turned out marvelous, very fine grained, almost pate like in
>> consistency, and just about perfect for slicing for sandwich.

> This is the first time I have been tempted to buy a food processor.

I have a little mini Krupps that is perfect for anything I've ever needed to
chop fine.

Meatloaf Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 29 13-11-2013 10:34 PM
Meatloaf Julie Bove Diabetic 36 01-03-2008 11:27 AM
Meatloaf Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2006 07:31 AM
Meatloaf kimmy Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2005 05:07 AM