Pico de Gallo seasoning

Old 31-12-2008, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pico de Gallo seasoning

Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.
Old 31-12-2008, 06:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
mind? -aem
Old 31-12-2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:10:11 -0800 (PST), aem
wrote:

On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
mind? -aem

I think this is what she's talking about. It's a dry spice blend
that's typically sprinkled on fruits and vegetables.
http://i41.tinypic.com/rj1cv9.jpg

It's made from ground or powdered chili, not to be confused with chili
powder, and salt and some citrus like lime or lemon mainly in the form
of citric acid.

This blend has some course ground black pepper in it also.
Unfortunately I didn't save the label. I bought it from one of those
hanging spice racks but it is also available in containers.

For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
always known it in the dry form.

hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
challenges.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30
Old 31-12-2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

I think this is what she's talking about. It's a dry spice blend
that's typically sprinkled on fruits and vegetables.
http://i41.tinypic.com/rj1cv9.jpg

It's made from ground or powdered chili, not to be confused with chili
powder, and salt and some citrus like lime or lemon mainly in the form
of citric acid.

I think ground guajillo chiles were what Rick Bayless used on fruit when
I went to Topo.
Old 31-12-2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
mind? -aem

aem,
I found this in my adventures looking for the recipe. Hope this helps
clarify what she's looking for.
http://www.latinmerchant.com/product...ductID=SCM0102

Dang it anyway. It seems getting a pico de gallo spice mix recipe is
going to be a real challenge. grrrrrrrrrr

Old 31-12-2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:22:20 -0800 (PST), Lila3 wrote:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Here's what I found. I would add a little powdered lime or lemon to it
though but that's just my taste.

20 piquín chiles OR de Árbol, wiped clean with a cloth, stems removed
1/2 cup salt

Dry roast chiles over medium heat in skillet until fragrant, about 5-8
minutes. Set aside to cool completely.

Transfer chiles to spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Mix well
with salt. Keep in an airtight container.

Old 31-12-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
mind? -aem

aem,
I found this in my adventures looking for the recipe. Hope this helps
clarify what she's looking for.
http://www.latinmerchant.com/product...ductID=SCM0102

Dang it anyway. It seems getting a pico de gallo spice mix recipe is
going to be a real challenge. grrrrrrrrrr

Is this what you're talking about? http://mifiesta.com/fta10001.html
I have a bottle in my cupboard. The Web page's list of ingredients is
ground chili peppers, salt, dehydrated lemon juice. My bottle lists
lime, not lemon on the label. I don't know what sort of peppers they
use, but it isn't very hot.
--

modom
Old 31-12-2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:30:51 -0800, koko wrote:

For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
always known it in the dry form.

You're kidding! I'd never heard fresh salsa called Pico de Gallo
until I came to rfc.

Mae West
Old 31-12-2008, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:35:02 -0600, Becca
wrote:

koko wrote:

For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
always known it in the dry form.

koko

The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
Maybe that is a Texas thang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo

Same here. Thanks, Becca. For a little while, I thought I was
totally out of the loop!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Old 31-12-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lila3" wrote in message
Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Salt, mixed hot chili peppers (ground), sodium dioxide (to prevent caking)

See;

http://www.vianueva.net/picodegallonetwt4oz-p-233.html

Dimitri

Old 31-12-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Becca wrote:

koko wrote:

For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
always known it in the dry form.

hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
challenges.

koko

The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
Maybe that is a Texas thang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo

It seems to have a lot of meanings, depending where in the US or Mexico
you are, but it seems the OP wants what is in the second paragraph of
the above Wiki entry, a salty chile (not to be confused with chili)
powder. I just use Tony Chachere's instead:

http://www.cajunspice.com/

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice
mix...not the fresh salsa? I have been" googling" and can't
find one.

Here's a pretty simple recipe.

2 cups diced ripe tomatoes

1 cup diced purple onion

6 to 10 jalapeno peppers finely chopped

3 cloves garlic finely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons salt

No exotic spices and it works.

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Keeps several days in the refrigerator.

Variations

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 habanero

1 cup sweet corn

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:22:20 -0800 (PST), Lila3 wrote:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Here's what I found. I would add a little powdered lime or lemon to it
though but that's just my taste.

20 piquín chiles OR de Árbol, wiped clean with a cloth, stems removed
1/2 cup salt

Dry roast chiles over medium heat in skillet until fragrant, about 5-8
minutes. Set aside to cool completely.

Transfer chiles to spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Mix well
with salt. Keep in an airtight container.

koko

We just mix powdered chile with lemon pepper (which contains salt
anyway). Have never seen powdered lime though; must have a look.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice
mix...not the fresh salsa? I have been" googling" and can't
find one.

Here's a pretty simple recipe.

2 cups diced ripe tomatoes

1 cup diced purple onion

6 to 10 jalapeno peppers finely chopped

3 cloves garlic finely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons salt

No exotic spices and it works.

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for *several hours before serving.

Keeps several days in the refrigerator.

Variations

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 habanero

1 cup sweet corn

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Pico de Gallo means something about a "rooster". Around here it's like
salsa cruda - everything is raw and there's very little liquid. It's
not like something that you'd dip something in but more like a relish
you spoon on. It ALWAYS shows up with fajitas.
Lynn in Fargo
Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:01:37 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo
wrote:

Pico de Gallo means something about a "rooster". Around here it's like
salsa cruda - everything is raw and there's very little liquid. It's
not like something that you'd dip something in but more like a relish
you spoon on. It ALWAYS shows up with fajitas.
Lynn in Fargo

It means beak of the rooster. And the tomato/jalapeno/lime salsa is
one kind. But there is another: a salad of jicama and mango, for
example, dusted with chiles and salt.
--

modom