Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pico de Gallo seasoning

Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
fresh salsa?
I have been" googling" and can't find one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 > wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
> fresh salsa?
> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
mind? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:10:11 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 > wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
>> fresh salsa?
>> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

>Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
>thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
>mind? -aem

I think this is what she's talking about. It's a dry spice blend
that's typically sprinkled on fruits and vegetables.
http://i41.tinypic.com/rj1cv9.jpg

It's made from ground or powdered chili, not to be confused with chili
powder, and salt and some citrus like lime or lemon mainly in the form
of citric acid.

This blend has some course ground black pepper in it also.
Unfortunately I didn't save the label. I bought it from one of those
hanging spice racks but it is also available in containers.

For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
always known it in the dry form.

hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
challenges.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> I think this is what she's talking about. It's a dry spice blend
> that's typically sprinkled on fruits and vegetables.
> http://i41.tinypic.com/rj1cv9.jpg
>
> It's made from ground or powdered chili, not to be confused with chili
> powder, and salt and some citrus like lime or lemon mainly in the form
> of citric acid.

I think ground guajillo chiles were what Rick Bayless used on fruit when
I went to Topo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 > wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
>> fresh salsa?
>> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

>Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
>thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
>mind? -aem

aem,
I found this in my adventures looking for the recipe. Hope this helps
clarify what she's looking for.
http://www.latinmerchant.com/product...ductID=SCM0102

Dang it anyway. It seems getting a pico de gallo spice mix recipe is
going to be a real challenge. grrrrrrrrrr

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:22:20 -0800 (PST), Lila3 > wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
>fresh salsa?
>I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Here's what I found. I would add a little powdered lime or lemon to it
though but that's just my taste.

20 piquín chiles OR de Árbol, wiped clean with a cloth, stems removed
1/2 cup salt

Dry roast chiles over medium heat in skillet until fragrant, about 5-8
minutes. Set aside to cool completely.

Transfer chiles to spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Mix well
with salt. Keep in an airtight container.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:01:48 -0800, koko > wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:10:11 -0800 (PST), aem >
>wrote:
>
>>On Dec 30, 8:22*pm, Lila3 > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
>>> fresh salsa?
>>> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

>>Spice mix? I know pico de gallo as a condiment/relish/salsa kind of
>>thing, not a spice mix. Can you describe more fully what you have in
>>mind? -aem

>aem,
>I found this in my adventures looking for the recipe. Hope this helps
>clarify what she's looking for.
>http://www.latinmerchant.com/product...ductID=SCM0102
>
>Dang it anyway. It seems getting a pico de gallo spice mix recipe is
>going to be a real challenge. grrrrrrrrrr

Is this what you're talking about? http://mifiesta.com/fta10001.html
I have a bottle in my cupboard. The Web page's list of ingredients is
ground chili peppers, salt, dehydrated lemon juice. My bottle lists
lime, not lemon on the label. I don't know what sort of peppers they
use, but it isn't very hot.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:30:51 -0800, koko > wrote:

>For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
>always known it in the dry form.

You're kidding! I'd never heard fresh salsa called Pico de Gallo
until I came to rfc.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:35:02 -0600, Becca >
wrote:

>koko wrote:
>
>> For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
>> always known it in the dry form.
>>
>> koko

>The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
>Maybe that is a Texas thang.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo

Same here. Thanks, Becca. For a little while, I thought I was
totally out of the loop!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lila3" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
> fresh salsa?
> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Salt, mixed hot chili peppers (ground), sodium dioxide (to prevent caking)

See;

http://www.vianueva.net/picodegallonetwt4oz-p-233.html

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> koko wrote:
>
> > For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
> > always known it in the dry form.
> >

> > hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
> > challenges.
> >
> > koko

> The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
> Maybe that is a Texas thang.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo

It seems to have a lot of meanings, depending where in the US or Mexico
you are, but it seems the OP wants what is in the second paragraph of
the above Wiki entry, a salty chile (not to be confused with chili)
powder. I just use Tony Chachere's instead:

http://www.cajunspice.com/

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri wrote on Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:51:44 -0700:

> koko wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:22:20 -0800 (PST), Lila3 >
>> wrote:
>>
> >> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice
> >> mix...not the fresh salsa? I have been" googling" and can't
> >> find one.

Here's a pretty simple recipe.

2 cups diced ripe tomatoes

1 cup diced purple onion

6 to 10 jalapeno peppers finely chopped

3 cloves garlic finely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons salt

No exotic spices and it works.

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Keeps several days in the refrigerator.

Variations

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 habanero

1 cup sweet corn

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:22:20 -0800 (PST), Lila3 > wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
> >fresh salsa?
> >I have been" googling" and can't find one.

> Here's what I found. I would add a little powdered lime or lemon to it
> though but that's just my taste.
>
> 20 piquín chiles OR de Árbol, wiped clean with a cloth, stems removed
> 1/2 cup salt
>
> Dry roast chiles over medium heat in skillet until fragrant, about 5-8
> minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
>
> Transfer chiles to spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Mix well
> with salt. Keep in an airtight container.
>
> koko

We just mix powdered chile with lemon pepper (which contains salt
anyway). Have never seen powdered lime though; must have a look.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 6:49*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Arri *wrote *on Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:51:44 -0700:
>
> > koko wrote:

> Here's a pretty simple recipe.
>
> 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
>
> 1 cup diced purple onion
>
> 6 to 10 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
>
> 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
>
> 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
>
> 2 tablespoons salt
>
> No exotic spices and it works.
>
> Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for *several hours before serving.
>
> Keeps several days in the refrigerator.
>
> Variations
>
> 1 tablespoon lime juice
>
> 1 habanero
>
> 1 cup sweet corn
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Pico de Gallo means something about a "rooster". Around here it's like
salsa cruda - everything is raw and there's very little liquid. It's
not like something that you'd dip something in but more like a relish
you spoon on. It ALWAYS shows up with fajitas.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:01:37 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>Pico de Gallo means something about a "rooster". Around here it's like
>salsa cruda - everything is raw and there's very little liquid. It's
>not like something that you'd dip something in but more like a relish
>you spoon on. It ALWAYS shows up with fajitas.
>Lynn in Fargo

It means beak of the rooster. And the tomato/jalapeno/lime salsa is
one kind. But there is another: a salad of jicama and mango, for
example, dusted with chiles and salt.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> We just mix powdered chile with lemon pepper (which contains salt
> anyway). Have never seen powdered lime though; must have a look.

Maybe True Lime. I find it a bit sweet though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2008, 7:27*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:01:37 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo
>
> > wrote:
> >Pico de Gallo means something about a "rooster". Around here it's like
> >salsa cruda - everything is raw and there's very little liquid. It's
> >not like something that you'd dip something in but more like a relish
> >you spoon on. *It ALWAYS shows up *with fajitas.
> >Lynn in Fargo

> It means beak of the rooster. *And the tomato/jalapeno/lime salsa is
> one kind. *But there is another: a salad of jicama and mango, for
> example, dusted with chiles and salt.
> --
>
> modom

Thanx for the info! I would like the jicama/mango combination I
think! I can just eat the regular pico de gallo with a spoon!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > We just mix powdered chile with lemon pepper (which contains salt
> > anyway). Have never seen powdered lime though; must have a look.

> Maybe True Lime. I find it a bit sweet though.
>
> --
> Jean B.

TY. Can buy the chile/lime/salt mixes and liquids around here but just
as easy to make one's own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lila3 wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
> fresh salsa?
> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Pico is just tomatoes, jalapeños (used that Alt thing again :-))onion or
green onion, cilantro and lime juice. The seasoning is salt.

I don't understand your interpretation of Pico de Gallo.

Trust me, I live less than 5 miles from Mexico.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lila3 wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
> fresh salsa?
> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

Is this the stuff you are looking for?
http://mexicanfoodie.com/chili-powde...avorite-snack/

That's not Pico, at least not around here.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:30:51 -0800, koko > wrote:
>
>> For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
>> always known it in the dry form.

> You're kidding! I'd never heard fresh salsa called Pico de Gallo
> until I came to rfc.

Around here in Borderland, I've never heard Pico De Gallo called Salsa
Fresca. That's something different.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Lila3 wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recipe for making Pico De Gallo spice mix...not the
>> fresh salsa?
>> I have been" googling" and can't find one.

> Is this the stuff you are looking for?
> http://mexicanfoodie.com/chili-powde...avorite-snack/
>
> That's not Pico, at least not around here.

They sell that in the produce section in Texas and Louisiana. The brand
I have, also has a little sugar in it; not much, but a little. Tastes
good on cantaloupe, watermelon, corn on the cob, cauliflower.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:49:02 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Around here in Borderland, I've never heard Pico De Gallo called Salsa
>Fresca. That's something different.

So, are you talking about the fruit sprinkle? Again, that was a new
one for me the other day. Most of the Mexican restaurants I eat at
seem to be run by Salvadorans. No fruit sprinkles called Pico de
Gallo there.

From what I read here when thread after thread talked about Pico de
Gallo a few years back it's the same as Salsa Fresca. Salsa Fresca
has other names like Picata, but they are still fresh tomatoes, onion,
lime juice, cilantro, garlic (or not) and jalapeño. One word,
"Salsa", covers a lot of fresh variations up here. The only
salsas I differentiate are verde and roja (the cooked one).

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:49:02 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Around here in Borderland, I've never heard Pico De Gallo called Salsa
>> Fresca. That's something different.

> So, are you talking about the fruit sprinkle? Again, that was a new
> one for me the other day. Most of the Mexican restaurants I eat at
> seem to be run by Salvadorans. No fruit sprinkles called Pico de
> Gallo there.

The fruit sprinkle is something we see here in Borderland. At the
refreshment table after Friday night services, they usually have it in a
bowl and people sprinkle it on their fruit with a spoon. It is also
next to the fruit on buffets in restaurants, but in a shaker. I never
heard it called Pico De Gallo. I'll try to remember to ask what the
locals here call it.

> From what I read here when thread after thread talked about Pico de
> Gallo a few years back it's the same as Salsa Fresca. Salsa Fresca
> has other names like Picata, but they are still fresh tomatoes, onion,
> lime juice, cilantro, garlic (or not) and jalapeño. One word,
> "Salsa", covers a lot of fresh variations up here. The only
> salsas I differentiate are verde and roja (the cooked one).

Salsa means "sauce" and fresca means "fresh" so any condiment made with
fresh veggies is a salsa fresca. I have never seen the term "salsa
fresca" on a menu here. I have seen salsa fresca referred to as "salad"
on a menu. Like the taco comes with "salad" which is usually Pico De Gallo.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:35:02 -0600, Becca wrote:

> koko wrote:
>
>> For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
>> always known it in the dry form.
>>

>> hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
>> challenges.
>>
>> koko

> The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
> Maybe that is a Texas thang.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo
>
> Becca

You got it, Becca. Anything else is an imposter. Hell, in CA, even 7-11's
typically have pdg in the condiment trays, always fresh. It's gotten so I
can't eat a hot dog (chi-dogs excepted) w/o pdg.

Made in pure form, pdg is a bit dry, as roma tomatoes don't have a lotta
juice. Most of the juice is from a squeezed lime, but you don't wanna over
do that, either. My solution for, say, a dip is to make the traditional
pdg (mince), then take a small portion, puree it, than add back to whole
mix. Both methods have their advantages, like the drier version for hot
dogs.

I've never added any spice to it, other than salt, the jalapenos being more
than sufficiant. I'f I was going to, though, I'd add a bit of ground NM
chile powder mix, mix being the powder reconstituted with water.

I've had a lotta experience with the dry spice sprinkle mixes, too, but
I've never seen one labelled pico de gallo. That's not to say they don't
exist, just I've never seen one. I used to buy several brands at the Mex
fruit stand around the corner. Love the stuff. I think it was originally
for raw jicama, but works on most anything, like melons, avacadoes, etc.
The two basic types are plain chile and chile with lime. It's mostly
synthetic (yes, Mexicans use synthetics!) flavorings with a load of salt,
but some are actually pretty good.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:51:43 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>The fruit sprinkle is something we see here in Borderland. At the
>refreshment table after Friday night services, they usually have it in a
>bowl and people sprinkle it on their fruit with a spoon. It is also
>next to the fruit on buffets in restaurants, but in a shaker. I never
>heard it called Pico De Gallo. I'll try to remember to ask what the
>locals here call it.

Have you ever tried cinnamon sprinkled over orange slices? Mmmm!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:35:02 -0600, Becca wrote:

>> The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
>> Maybe that is a Texas thang.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo
>>
>> Becca

> You got it, Becca. Anything else is an imposter. Hell, in CA, even 7-11's
> typically have pdg in the condiment trays, always fresh. It's gotten so I
> can't eat a hot dog (chi-dogs excepted) w/o pdg.
>
> Made in pure form, pdg is a bit dry, as roma tomatoes don't have a lotta
> juice. Most of the juice is from a squeezed lime, but you don't wanna over
> do that, either. My solution for, say, a dip is to make the traditional
> pdg (mince), then take a small portion, puree it, than add back to whole
> mix. Both methods have their advantages, like the drier version for hot
> dogs.
>
> I've never added any spice to it, other than salt, the jalapenos being more
> than sufficiant. I'f I was going to, though, I'd add a bit of ground NM
> chile powder mix, mix being the powder reconstituted with water.
>
> I've had a lotta experience with the dry spice sprinkle mixes, too, but
> I've never seen one labelled pico de gallo. That's not to say they don't
> exist, just I've never seen one. I used to buy several brands at the Mex
> fruit stand around the corner. Love the stuff. I think it was originally
> for raw jicama, but works on most anything, like melons, avacadoes, etc.
> The two basic types are plain chile and chile with lime. It's mostly
> synthetic (yes, Mexicans use synthetics!) flavorings with a load of salt,
> but some are actually pretty good.
>
> nb

They sell pdg in the supermarket produce department, and since I was
feeling a little lazy, I thought about trying it. Their price changed
my mind.

If I have leftover pdg that I will not use, I will freeze it, then use
it when I make something like Spanish rice.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> Thanx for the info! I would like the jicama/mango combination I
> think! I can just eat the regular pico de gallo with a spoon!

Before you use the word "regular" in reference to Mexican food in the
US, you must get a permit from the Cabal (TINC). Before you use the
word "authentic" in reference to Mexican food in the US, you need an act
of Congress. In both cases, you may be severely punished by the FP
(Food Police) if you misuse the words.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 13:21:19 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:35:02 -0600, Becca wrote:
>
>> koko wrote:
>>
>>> For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
>>> always known it in the dry form.
>>>

>>> hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
>>> challenges.
>>>
>>> koko

>> The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
>> Maybe that is a Texas thang.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo
>>
>> Becca

>You got it, Becca. Anything else is an imposter. Hell, in CA, even 7-11's
>typically have pdg in the condiment trays, always fresh. It's gotten so I
>can't eat a hot dog (chi-dogs excepted) w/o pdg.
>
>Made in pure form, pdg is a bit dry, as roma tomatoes don't have a lotta
>juice. Most of the juice is from a squeezed lime, but you don't wanna over
>do that, either. My solution for, say, a dip is to make the traditional
>pdg (mince), then take a small portion, puree it, than add back to whole
>mix. Both methods have their advantages, like the drier version for hot
>dogs.
>
>I've never added any spice to it, other than salt, the jalapenos being more
>than sufficiant. I'f I was going to, though, I'd add a bit of ground NM
>chile powder mix, mix being the powder reconstituted with water.
>
>I've had a lotta experience with the dry spice sprinkle mixes, too, but
>I've never seen one labelled pico de gallo. That's not to say they don't
>exist, just I've never seen one. I used to buy several brands at the Mex
>fruit stand around the corner. Love the stuff. I think it was originally
>for raw jicama, but works on most anything, like melons, avacadoes, etc.
>The two basic types are plain chile and chile with lime. It's mostly
>synthetic (yes, Mexicans use synthetics!) flavorings with a load of salt,
>but some are actually pretty good.

Actually there is another pico de gallo, and it's not a new thing. I
admit it is not as familiar to me as what you describe, but it is a
real Mexican dish comprised of chopped jicama, fruits, etc. seasoned
with chile and lime. Here's one version:
http://www.great-salsa.com/pico-de-gallo.html
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:18:01 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article
>,
> Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>
>> Thanx for the info! I would like the jicama/mango combination I
>> think! I can just eat the regular pico de gallo with a spoon!

>Before you use the word "regular" in reference to Mexican food in the
>US, you must get a permit from the Cabal (TINC). Before you use the
>word "authentic" in reference to Mexican food in the US, you need an act
>of Congress. In both cases, you may be severely punished by the FP
>(Food Police) if you misuse the words.

I had forgotten what a frightening place RFC really is!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:18:01 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>Before you use the word "regular" in reference to Mexican food in the
>US, you must get a permit from the Cabal (TINC). Before you use the
>word "authentic" in reference to Mexican food in the US, you need an act
>of Congress. In both cases, you may be severely punished by the FP
>(Food Police) if you misuse the words.

AND you might be asked if you post in your underwear.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:35:13 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:18:01 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>In article
>,
>> Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>>
>>> Thanx for the info! I would like the jicama/mango combination I
>>> think! I can just eat the regular pico de gallo with a spoon!

>>Before you use the word "regular" in reference to Mexican food in the
>>US, you must get a permit from the Cabal (TINC). Before you use the
>>word "authentic" in reference to Mexican food in the US, you need an act
>>of Congress. In both cases, you may be severely punished by the FP
>>(Food Police) if you misuse the words.

> I had forgotten what a frightening place RFC really is!
>
> Carol

the cabal sure has been throwing their weight around lately. i thought
they preferred to operate behind the scenes.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 04:13:49p, blake murphy told us...

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:35:13 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:18:01 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>,

>>>Before you use the word "regular" in reference to Mexican food in the
>>>US, you must get a permit from the Cabal (TINC). Before you use the
>>>word "authentic" in reference to Mexican food in the US, you need an act
>>>of Congress. In both cases, you may be severely punished by the FP
>>>(Food Police) if you misuse the words.

>> I had forgotten what a frightening place RFC really is!
>>
>> Carol

> the cabal sure has been throwing their weight around lately. i thought
> they preferred to operate behind the scenes.
>
> your pal,
> blake

The cabal has missed a few areas. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 7hrs 42mins
I spend my life doing things I detest to make money I don't need to
buy things I don't want to impress people I don't like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:13:49 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:35:13 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:18:01 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>,

>>>Before you use the word "regular" in reference to Mexican food in the
>>>US, you must get a permit from the Cabal (TINC). Before you use the
>>>word "authentic" in reference to Mexican food in the US, you need an act
>>>of Congress. In both cases, you may be severely punished by the FP
>>>(Food Police) if you misuse the words.

>> I had forgotten what a frightening place RFC really is!

>the cabal sure has been throwing their weight around lately. i thought
>they preferred to operate behind the scenes.

That's clearly what the dictionary definition states, but our Cabal
(TINC) seem to have a collective mind of its own.

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 2:22*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 13:21:19 -0700, notbob > wrote:

> >> The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
> >> Maybe that is a Texas thang.

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo

> >> Becca

> >You got it, Becca. *Anything else is an imposter. *Hell, in CA, even 7-11's
> >typically have pdg in the condiment trays, always fresh. *It's gotten so I
> >can't eat a hot dog (chi-dogs excepted) w/o pdg. * *

> >Made in pure form, pdg is a bit dry, as roma tomatoes don't have a lotta
> >juice. *Most of the juice is from a squeezed lime, but you don't wanna over
> >do that, either. *My solution for, say, a dip is to make the traditional
> >pdg (mince), then take a small portion, puree it, than add back to whole
> >mix. *Both methods have their advantages, like the drier version for hot
> >dogs.

> >I've never added any spice to it, other than salt, the jalapenos being more
> >than sufficiant. *I'f I was going to, though, I'd add a bit of ground NM
> >chile powder mix, mix being the powder reconstituted with water.

> >I've had a lotta experience with the dry spice sprinkle mixes, too, but
> >I've never seen one labelled pico de gallo. *That's not to say they don't
> >exist, just I've never seen one. *I used to buy several brands at the Mex
> >fruit stand around the corner. *Love the stuff. *I think it was originally
> >for raw jicama, but works on most anything, like melons, avacadoes, etc.
> >The two basic types are plain chile and chile with lime. *It's mostly
> >synthetic (yes, Mexicans use synthetics!) flavorings with a load of salt,
> >but some are actually pretty good.

> Actually there is another pico de gallo, and it's not a new thing. *I
> admit it is not as familiar to me as what you describe, but it is a
> real Mexican dish comprised of chopped jicama, fruits, etc. seasoned
> with chile and lime. *
> Here's one version:http://www.great-salsa.com/pico-de-gallo.html

Great link; bookmarking....
> --
>
> modom

My best pico de gallo! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 2 06-12-2014 01:38 PM
pico de gallo Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 6 08-04-2009 03:12 AM
Pico De Gallo [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2009 08:34 AM
Pico de gallo Julie Bove Diabetic 50 24-08-2008 04:52 PM
Pico De Gallo Julie Bove General Cooking 26 19-02-2008 04:09 AM