Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Do You Put in Your Pantry?

We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
much food in a lifetime!

I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.

What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Clueless in Minnesota

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

My pantry is right next to the kitchen bench, and it's a complete shamozzle
at the moment!!

It's got all the stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge, as
well as potatos and onions, maturing vanilla essence, and herbed vinegar,
and ........... *stuff*!!

My only problem with this pantry, is that I need arms that are 4.5' long to
get to the back!! (It's under the stairs)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:56:18 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
>was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
>much food in a lifetime!
>
>I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
>content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
>in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
>What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
>Clueless in Minnesota

I wish I had a big walk-in pantry.

Right now, I have been stocking up on various things like sugar,
flour... while they are on sale this season. Good prices right now...

I have open shelves in my kitchen and I store glass jars with various
things in them. Like all sorts of dried beans, rices, grains, pasta,
dried milk (just in case), vegetable broth, dried fruits, other canned
goods. Not foods in themselves, but ingredients... ... I will try
to take a pic of them later on...

I have stocked up on all sorts of tomato products, like canned
tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato puree and a few cans of tomato sauce.

Jams, jellies...

Honey, molasses, corn syrup.

I do it bit by bit, to cut down on expense. So over the past few
yeas, I have developed quite the pantry stock.

I can send you various websites that can give you ideas, if you
want....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:11:41 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
wrote:
>It's got all the stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge, as
>well as potatos and onions, maturing vanilla essence, and herbed vinegar,
>and ........... *stuff*!!

Oh, I forgot, I have all my various types of oils, and vinegars there
as well. As well as various Chinese, ethnic ingredients I use.

I use those little turntables that Rubbermaid and various companies
put out...helps me access them all.... I group all my vinegars
together, my oils, etc...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:56:18 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
>was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
>much food in a lifetime!
>
>I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
>content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
>in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
>What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
>Clueless in Minnesota

If you've got that much space, you can store your baking pans,
appliances, kitchen gizmos etc in there where they're out of the way
until you want them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:11:41 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>>It's got all the stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge,
>>as well as potatos and onions, maturing vanilla essence, and herbed
>>vinegar, and ........... *stuff*!!

> Oh, I forgot, I have all my various types of oils, and vinegars there
> as well. As well as various Chinese, ethnic ingredients I use.

Funnily enough, most of the 'stuff' in my pantry is of ethnic origin!!

Italian "OO" flour, Indian pickles and spices, Indonesian spices and
pastes, Spanish EVOO, Madagascan Vanilla beans..........

> I use those little turntables that Rubbermaid and various companies
> put out...helps me access them all....

I need a conveyer belt, with some tiny midgets living in the back of the
pantry that I can yell out to when I need stuff from 'back there'!! :-)

> I group all my vinegars
> together, my oils, etc...

I try.

It works for a little while.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress said...

> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

I use the "butlery" (spare room next to the kitchen) to store all the bulk
wholesale club stuff. Lightbulbs, batteries, Kleenex, TP, PT (mirror
image?), etc., etc.

Damsel, I would only advise that out-of-sight is out-of-mind. I've gone
shopping and replaced stuff that I wasn't out of in the first place.
D'OH!!!

Best to you both in your new home.

Andy
007.5
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> goods. Not foods in themselves, but ingredients... ... I will try
> to take a pic of them later on...

Kitchen and pantry pics thread?? :-)

(Running off to tidy up the pantry!!)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

Big pots, the food dehydrator, the extra bread machine, all the oils,
vinegars, grains and flours in plastic cannisters, the upright freezer,
the big ice chest on wheels, spare canning jars, etc, etc.

And our pantry is only 9 feet by 6 feet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:56:18 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
>>We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
>>was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
>>much food in a lifetime!
>>
>>I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
>>content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
>>in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>>
>>What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>>
>>Clueless in Minnesota

> If you've got that much space, you can store your baking pans,
> appliances, kitchen gizmos etc in there where they're out of the way
> until you want them!

Orrrrrrrrr........ put in some wine racks, a table and chairs and turn
it into a wine cellar..... that has some food in it!! :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:38:58 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
wrote:

>Kitchen and pantry pics thread?? :-)
>
>(Running off to tidy up the pantry!!)

Hey, why not?

Maybe it will give Damsel ideas...and me too!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota
>
> --
> Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.

Not to worry. "Stuff" naturally expands to fill the available space. It is
like leaving cats in the garage. You come back, and it's full.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

I like a tidy efficient pantry. I also have a small walk in pantry.
I like to walk in and see everything available and organized in
sections. I took some pictures just now but realize I didn't get the
things hanging from the ceiling or sides of the walls up high. I think
I'm making the most of the space-

http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

I don't have a pantry room per se, but I have a pantry closet, abbout 8
feet long, 6 feet high and 1-1/2 foot wide. My cook books are on the top
shelf. Below that I have canned goods, pastas, a big bin of flour,
cereals, foil, Saran wrap, waxed paper, parchment paper, my FoodSaver
and rolls of bags. The rest is for unopened condiments and things that,
once opened, will go into the fridge or kitchen cupboards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> If you've got that much space, you can store your baking pans,
> appliances, kitchen gizmos etc in there where they're out of the way
> until you want them!

I keep big sacks of cat food and cat litter in my pantry, and all
paper goods; napkins, roll towels, paper plates, TP, etc. I keep
cleaning supplies, broom, dust pan, a small ladder... and of course
all my pots and pans, bakeware, serving trays, extra knives, all sorts
of utensils I don't use often, and strainers, colanders, mixing bowls,
and appliances... I don't display any of that stuff. I also store
gallon jars of flour, rice, and other grains there. My pantry is not
very big, the size of a small walk in coat closet... were it larger
I'd easy fill it up... what a silly question, how to fill a pantry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:38:58 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>

>>Kitchen and pantry pics thread?? :-)
>>
>>(Running off to tidy up the pantry!!)

> Hey, why not?
>
> Maybe it will give Damsel ideas...and me too!!

Ideas??!! Stand back and throw everything in!! :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 7:17�pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > What do you put in your pantry, if you have one? �

> > Clueless in Minnesota

> I like a tidy efficient pantry. I also have a small walk in pantry.
> I like to walk in and see everything available and organized in
> sections. I took some pictures just now but realize I didn't get the
> things hanging from the ceiling or sides of the walls up high. I think
> I'm making the most of the space-
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg
>
> http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg

Hehe, I always knew you'd have a great rack.. and you made sure to
show your top shelf goodies thrice!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:6r07gaFf4driU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>>
>> Clueless in Minnesota
>>

> I like a tidy efficient pantry. I also have a small walk in pantry.
> I like to walk in and see everything available and organized in
> sections. I took some pictures just now but realize I didn't get the
> things hanging from the ceiling or sides of the walls up high. I think
> I'm making the most of the space-
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg

I like your choice of Gin :-)

> http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg
>
> http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg

A tidy pantry is the sign of a sick mind.... you know that don't you??

;-P

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

>> http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg
>>
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg
>>
>> http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg

> Hehe, I always knew you'd have a great rack.. and you made sure to
> show your top shelf goodies thrice!

LOL.. you've SEEN my "rack"... damn right its good.
The "goodies" are high enough to keep out of reach and since I'm frugal,
I usually buy the larger bottles to save money and they don't fit in the
shelves as easily. A couple times a year I restock it with a little of
everything. Big bottles of of the stuff we drink, little bottles for the
stuff we don't drink but just want to have on hand in case someone
*else* wants it (Dewer's, for example).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

>> http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg

> I like your choice of Gin :-)

I had to go back and look. Which one? The Sapphire or the Tanq? Maybe
you missed the Sapphire. It is way back there.

>> http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg
>>
>> http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg
>>

> A tidy pantry is the sign of a sick mind.... you know that don't you??
>
> ;-P

Nawwww.. I'm just a neat tidy person. Admittedly I'm a tad OCD but
hardly to the extreme. It is efficient, functional OCD. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

When I had a proper pantry, mostly staples (tinned goods, pasta, rice,
flour sugar etc). Since it was quite cool in there onions, garlic,
potatoes and wine. Disposable plates etc for cheap parties and bakeware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:6r09boFf5sh3U1
@mid.individual.net:

This one......... http://i44.tinypic.com/6nwj9t.jpg

> Maybe
> you missed the Sapphire. It is way back there.

Yep, did miss it first time. How do you rate it against the Tanq?

>> A tidy pantry is the sign of a sick mind.... you know that don't

you??

>> ;-P
>>

> Nawwww.. I'm just a neat tidy person. Admittedly I'm a tad OCD but
> hardly to the extreme. It is efficient, functional OCD. LOL

I wish I could catch a bit of that sort of OCD........ as it is, I use
something and put it back wherever it fits in.

The SO will be rummaging around in the pantry grumbling that she can't
find something, and I'll just walk up, say "It's right..... here!!"
reach in and grab it.

I may put things back in the wrong place, but I have a mental catalogue
in my brain that knows where everything is :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 7:44�pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >>http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg

> >>http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg

> >>http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg

> > Hehe, I always knew you'd have a great rack.. and you made sure to
> > show your top shelf goodies thrice!

> LOL.. you've SEEN my "rack"... damn right its good.

Gentlemen never kiss and tell.

> The "goodies" are high enough to keep out of reach and since I'm frugal,
> I usually buy the larger bottles to save money and they don't fit in the
> shelves as easily. A couple times a year I restock it with a little of
> everything. Big bottles of of the stuff we drink, little bottles for the
> stuff we don't drink but just want to have on hand in case someone
> *else* wants it (Dewer's, for example).

Dewer's is good but when I used to drink scotch mine was J & B, rocks.

A shikker and a shikseh. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:06:55 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
wrote:

>I may put things back in the wrong place, but I have a mental catalogue
>in my brain that knows where everything is :-)

I do that with my cookbooks.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:06:55 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>

>>I may put things back in the wrong place, but I have a mental catalogue
>>in my brain that knows where everything is :-)

> I do that with my cookbooks.
>
> Christine

:-)

I'm forever losing/misplacing recipes, and can't remember where I put the
damn things!! Which is why I 'wing it' most of the time.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

A spare bed. '-)
You're on the right track. If I had a nice pantry space, apart from my
grocery stash, I'd put my big kettles there, the electric roasters,
maybe the extra sets of dishes -- stuff that lives in the basement right
now. I would love it if there were either hanging space or a drawer for
tablecloth storage. Right now those live in the coat closet
(conveniently located next to the kitchen).

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
> >
> > Clueless in Minnesota
> >

> I like a tidy efficient pantry. I also have a small walk in pantry.
> I like to walk in and see everything available and organized in
> sections. I took some pictures just now but realize I didn't get the
> things hanging from the ceiling or sides of the walls up high. I think
> I'm making the most of the space-
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg
>
> http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg

Color me Envy Green!!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
"I have fixed my roof, I have mended my fences;
now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
.25...
> Christine Dabney > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:06:55 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I may put things back in the wrong place, but I have a mental catalogue
>>>in my brain that knows where everything is :-)

>> I do that with my cookbooks.
>>
>> Christine
>>

> :-)
>
> I'm forever losing/misplacing recipes, and can't remember where I put the
> damn things!! Which is why I 'wing it' most of the time.

Translation:
As I am such a good cook I don't need recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
.25...
> Goomba > wrote in news:6r09boFf5sh3U1
> @mid.individual.net:

>>> I like your choice of Gin :-)

>> I had to go back and look. Which one? The Sapphire or the Tanq?

> This one......... http://i44.tinypic.com/6nwj9t.jpg
>

>> Maybe
>> you missed the Sapphire. It is way back there.

> Yep, did miss it first time. How do you rate it against the Tanq?
>

>>> A tidy pantry is the sign of a sick mind.... you know that don't

> you??
>>>
>>> ;-P
>>>

>> Nawwww.. I'm just a neat tidy person. Admittedly I'm a tad OCD but
>> hardly to the extreme. It is efficient, functional OCD. LOL
>>

> I wish I could catch a bit of that sort of OCD........ as it is, I use
> something and put it back wherever it fits in.
>
> The SO will be rummaging around in the pantry grumbling that she can't
> find something, and I'll just walk up, say "It's right..... here!!"
> reach in and grab it.
>
> I may put things back in the wrong place, but I have a mental catalogue
> in my brain that knows where everything is :-)

Translation:
My brain is better than yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
.25...
> Goomba > wrote in news:6r07gaFf4driU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?
>>>
>>> Clueless in Minnesota
>>>

>> I like a tidy efficient pantry. I also have a small walk in pantry.
>> I like to walk in and see everything available and organized in
>> sections. I took some pictures just now but realize I didn't get the
>> things hanging from the ceiling or sides of the walls up high. I think
>> I'm making the most of the space-
>>
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/14wspyw.jpg

> I like your choice of Gin :-)
>

>> http://i41.tinypic.com/52xmqt.jpg
>>
>> http://i43.tinypic.com/350p7y1.jpg
>>

> A tidy pantry is the sign of a sick mind.... you know that don't you??

Translation:
I MUST make my food storage under MY stairs into a pantry.And it MUST be
better than the one shown so I can post a photo of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> ... If I had a nice pantry space, apart from my
> grocery stash, I'd put my big kettles there, the electric roasters,
> maybe the extra sets of dishes -- stuff that lives in the basement right
> now. I would love it if there were either hanging space or a drawer for
> tablecloth storage. Right now those live in the coat closet
> (conveniently located next to the kitchen).

I would love to have some sort of dowel arrangement that I could lay my
folded table cloths over and minimize wrinkles. I have them laid out in
drawers in the dining room but need more space.
I love having my larger sets of dishes in the pantry so that while
they're not used frequently, they're still easily at hand when I want them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:40:30 +0000 (UTC), in rec.food.cooking you wrote:

> From: PeterL >

ANOTHER FORGERY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"steve" wrote:
> "PeterL" wrote
> > I may put things back in the wrong place, but I have a mental catalogue
> > in my brain that knows where everything is :-)

> Translation:
> My brain is better than yours.

Probably true, in certain areas some folks know exactly what items
they have, exactly how much, and exactly where... I have all my food
items and all my tools cataloged in my head with exquisite accuracy...
but don't ask me how much money I have or where, I can only say "near
abouts", plus or minus a few mil, and I can't always recall all my
accounts and cash caches on the spur of the moment. Well, I've never
in my life reconsiled a checking account, I've never added in the
interest on my registers... so long as the statement balances are way
more than my register balances and the IRS doesn't audit me for not
reporting the correct interest I figure all is right. But if anyone
gloms even one tin of beans from my cupboard or even moves it out of
position I'll know. And Bob Villa couldn't track tool inventory
better than me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 8:40�pm, "steve" > wrote:
> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>
> .25...
>

> > Christine Dabney > wrote in
> :

> >> I do that with my cookbooks.

> >> Christine

> > :-)

> > I'm forever losing/misplacing recipes, and can't remember where I put the
> > damn things!! Which is why I 'wing it' most of the time.

> Translation:
> As I am such a good cook I don't need recipes.

Good cooks don't need recipes... I have plenty of cook books but I
only refer to them occasionally for ideas of what to eat, but mostly I
use them for reference for citing in my posts here. I've never in
life refered to a recipe while cooking, I don't know why or how but
once I look at a recipe it's commited to memory forever.. and other
than for curing meats I never follow recipes exactly anyway, I wing it
and substitute, always comes out better than had I followed the recipe
by the book.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pants, of course. Sheesh.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one?

Mine is a big walk-in one also! Isn't it wonderful! We moved here from a
tiny house with a tiny kitchen with a few cabinets. Now I have so much space
in my cabinets because of the pantry. I love being able to spread out my
pots-n-pans and applicances.
I keep all the non-cold food but fruits and veggies in it. Plus snacks,
candy, our gummy-candy maker, the easy-bake oven, all the cake decorating
stuff. The coolers, plastic grocery bags, holiday plates/cups. I have one
shelf for breakfast/snacks, one for baking items, one for cans, one for
boxed, one for cookies or candy that's off-limits to the kids...
I'm wanting to "remodel" it and have more shelves, closer together.
There is also a separate pantry/closet space on the other side of kitchen
and that's where I keep the cleaning and pet equipment.
Marie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
.25...
> I need a conveyer belt, with some tiny midgets living in the back of the
> pantry that I can yell out to when I need stuff from 'back there'!! :-)

Now that would be cool to have.
Marie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 5:56*pm, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
> We're moving to an old, old house that has a big, walk-in pantry. *I
> was just going to keep food in there, but we'll never accumulate that
> much food in a lifetime!
>
> I put some cookbooks on one of the shelves, and they look quite
> content there. *Thinking of storing some of our less-used appliances
> in there, too. *There's still a ton of space available.
>
> What do you put in your pantry, if you have one? *
>
> Clueless in Minnesota

Depends on the size and configuration. My Mom had an upright freezer
in her pantry, and stored the ironing board there as well. I've use
my broom closet (now fitted with shelves) for storing storage
containers, paper and plastic goods, my beans, nuts, and grains
collection (in jars). On the inside of the door, I have shelves for
the spices (and still have too many to fit).

You could dedicate an area to kitchen linens: towels, tablecloths,
napkins, dishcloths, etc.

Isn't it great to have too much storage space? That's what we thought
when we moved into this house. Unfortunately, stuff accumulates to
fill all available space, so maybe you should leave some of it empty,
and it will attract stuff to fill it.

packrat in ri
awaiting the snow with only half a gallon of milk and 2 loaves of
bread. (But 3 tanks for the camp stove, several gallons of water, and
plenty of non-perishable foods.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Damsel, I would only advise that out-of-sight is out-of-mind. I've gone
> shopping and replaced stuff that I wasn't out of in the first place.
> D'OH!!!

I agree...We've ended up with several bottles of catsup that way.
Marie