Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default antique butcher block

I recently purchased an antique butcher block that needs some
restoration. The first thing I need to do is tighten the rods that
hold it together. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 10:04*am, hope12 > wrote:
> I recently purchased an antique butcher block that needs some
> restoration. *The first thing I need to do is tighten the rods that
> hold it together. *Can anyone tell me how to do this?

I never new any butcher blocks had metal rods in them. Can you see
them, or how do you know they are there? I'm wondering if your block
doesn't just need a good cabinetmaker....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:04:04 -0800, hope12 wrote:

> I recently purchased an antique butcher block that needs some
> restoration. The first thing I need to do is tighten the rods that hold
> it together. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Can you upload a photo somewhere?
Are these rods made of wood or metal?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 3:03�pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 10:04�am, hope12 > wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased an antique butcher block that needs some
> > restoration. �The first thing I need to do is tighten the rods that
> > hold it together. �Can anyone tell me how to do this?

> I never new any butcher blocks had metal rods in them. �Can you see
> them, or how do you know they are there? �I'm wondering if your block
> doesn't just need a good cabinetmaker....

Butcher block sections are usually held together with metal studs
threaded on both ends, with a washer and nut on each end used to apply
pressure. Periodically the unit is completely dissasembled for a
through cleaning, the wood treated with a beeswax and oil protecterant
and reassembled... be careful as typically there are hidden wooden
keys that align the sections. You should be able to see the hex nuts
in a countersunk hole (sometimes a wooden button plugs the hole,
usually protudes adequately to pull out with pliers, if it splits it's
just a section of hardwood dowel, hardware stores sell these buttons),
a mechanics socket wrench is typically used for loosening and
tensioning the nuts. If you feel it is a valuable example you may
want to check your Yellow Pages for a local company that sells
professional butcher blocks, they can service it or point you to a
local place for service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

All the old butcherblocks I saw had wooden plugs that covered the holes
where the heads and nuts of the tensioning device (rod) were hid. Again,
trying to remember, I believe there were 4 rods holding the corners tight
together.
I imagine with age these plugs fall out and one should be able to see the
ends of the rods/nuts.
Many old these old timers have very visible sloping tops where the years of
cutting and chopping have worn away the wood.
Some like to 'true up' these tops by clamping 2x6's (about 12" longer than
the width of the block) level on opposite sides of the block, and just above
the highest part of the top. Then they make a router jig (like a 1x8) that
is more than twice the width of the block. Then this jig, with the router
centered in it, can slide back and forth on top of the level 2x6's. With
small 'bites' eventually the block trues up.