Sirloin tip vs. rump roast

Old 16-12-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sirloin tip vs. rump roast

I need to make several pounds of beef jerky this week (preferably
tomorrow night.) I usually use beef rump roast when I'm making it for
gifts, or beef round-steak when I'm making it for myself and I get the
steaks on sale really cheap. (it's been about 2 years since I've seen
any cheap beef.)

I was at Sam's today and saw that they have whole sirloin tips for $2.28
per pound. Average weight is about 10 or 12 pounds. That's comparable
to rump roast, ain't it? Sam's has some of the best meat in town, but
they don't have a very big selection, and they didn't have anything
labeled "rump roast".

Thanks,
Bob
Old 16-12-2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I need to make several pounds of beef jerky this week (preferably
tomorrow night.) I usually use beef rump roast when I'm making it for
gifts, or beef round-steak when I'm making it for myself and I get the
steaks on sale really cheap. (it's been about 2 years since I've seen
any cheap beef.)

I was at Sam's today and saw that they have whole sirloin tips for $2.28
per pound. Average weight is about 10 or 12 pounds. That's comparable
to rump roast, ain't it? Sam's has some of the best meat in town, but
they don't have a very big selection, and they didn't have anything
labeled "rump roast".

Thanks,
Bob

So long as it's really lean beef, I don't think it really matters. :-)
I never chose a specific cut for jerky, just whatever looked lean and
was cheap.

When it comes to jerky (imho anyway!), beef is beef. I've also made it
from venison and emu.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 16-12-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

I bought a 11.5 pound Hunk o'Beef today. The meat market supervisor (I don't think he's a
butcher) says a rump roast is cut from the sirloin tip, so if I break it down into
individual muscles, one of the ought to look like a rump roast.

As long as it's lean and tough, but not too tough, it should be fine. I'll cut it up
tonight, pack it in salt and brown sugar (and black pepper) and stick it out in the garage
overnight (I don't *think* it will freeze.) Then load up the dehydrator early tomorrow
morning.

Bob
Old 16-12-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

How was the emu Om? A friend over in Texas has offered me a whole one of
them. He will even butcher it and bring it to me. He says it's about the
color of beef and quite tasty but we don't have wild emu in Louisiana
that I know of.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Good luck!

Home made jerky is wonderful. I generally add a bit of low salt teryaki.

A hint of maple sometimes works too.

Old 16-12-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Emu makes lovely jerky. Like other birds, the fat is under the skin so
the meat is not marbled. It's also red since the emu is a running
animal. There is NO breast meat. It's all on the thighs and back legs.
The wings are vestigial.

To me, emu tastes similar to venison. A lot depends on what it was fed.

Several years ago, I ended up with a LOT of free emu meat for "labor
trade". We butchered for those with excess birds that needed to go and
got to keep 1/2 the meat. It takes me, by myself, about 2 hours to
slaughter an emu, but that includes deboning.

We finally learned to not bother plucking prior to skinning unless I
wanted the feathers for crafts.

Old 17-12-2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I need to make several pounds of beef jerky this week (preferably
tomorrow night.) I usually use beef rump roast when I'm making it for
gifts, or beef round-steak when I'm making it for myself and I get the
steaks on sale really cheap. (it's been about 2 years since I've seen
any cheap beef.)

I was at Sam's today and saw that they have whole sirloin tips for $2.28
per pound. Average weight is about 10 or 12 pounds. That's comparable
to rump roast, ain't it? Sam's has some of the best meat in town, but
they don't have a very big selection, and they didn't have anything
labeled "rump roast".

Thanks,
Bob

Sirloin tip is at he sirloin end of the whole round. It's more versatile
than the rump and is usually cut into a largish rolled roast and things
like kebab and stroganoff meat or whatever is fashionable at the time.
One used to see braised sirloin tips at San Francisco restaurants in the
moderately priced end of the menu up until the 70's. That's a good price
for that kind of meat. No reason why it shouldn't make excellent jerky.

D.M.
Old 21-12-2008, 02:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I need to make several pounds of beef jerky this week (preferably tomorrow
night.) I usually use beef rump roast when I'm making it for gifts, or
beef round-steak when I'm making it for myself and I get the steaks on sale
really cheap. (it's been about 2 years since I've seen any cheap beef.)

I was at Sam's today and saw that they have whole sirloin tips for $2.28
per pound. Average weight is about 10 or 12 pounds. That's comparable to
rump roast, ain't it? Sam's has some of the best meat in town, but they
don't have a very big selection, and they didn't have anything labeled
"rump roast".

Thanks,
Bob

I use top round or bottom round. Eye round around here is too expensive.
Some use London broil, but I never have.