FoodBanter.com

-   -   Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/165286-req-copycat-campbells-pork.html)

[email protected] 12-12-2008 06:01 PM

Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat recipes that
include campbells canned beans.

Tia

Damsel in dis Dress[_2_] 12-12-2008 06:16 PM

Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:01:36 -0500, "
> wrote:

>Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat recipes that
>include campbells canned beans.

I can't help you out with pork and beans, but I developed a pretty
good approximation of Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup, if you're
interested. Mine's made with ham.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bean with Ham Soup

Recipe By : Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 pound dried navy beans -- (2 cups)
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
4 ounces lean ham -- diced small
1 medium onion -- finely diced
8 cups water
2 medium carrots -- finely diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 medium bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring -- optional

Sort and wash beans, and soak overnight in a large soup pot (at least
4 quart size) in 6 cups lukewarm water. Remove to a colander, drain
thoroughly and rinse.

Sauté ham and onion in bacon drippings in the soup pot until onions
are translucent. Add all remaining ingredients except liquid smoke.

Heat to boiling, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2
hours, or until beans are tender. Add liquid smoke to taste. Remove
bay leaves before serving.

Dimitri 12-12-2008 07:50 PM

Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

> wrote in message
> Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat
> recipes that
> include campbells canned beans.
>
> Tia

What are you looking for?

Dimitri

Gloria P 12-12-2008 08:10 PM

Dimitri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat
>> recipes that
>> include campbells canned beans.
>>
>> Tia

> What are you looking for?
>
> Dimitri

And isn't it simpler just to buy a can of beans once in a while?

gloria p

Dan Abel 13-12-2008 04:09 AM

Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> > > wrote in message
> >> Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat
> >> recipes that
> >> include campbells canned beans.

> And isn't it simpler just to buy a can of beans once in a while?

Two arguments against that:

1. It's hard to really appreciate something unless you've tried to make
it yourself.

2. Sometimes when you try something different, you find a new favorite.

So my wife and I decided to make some baked beans from scratch. I know
my aunt used to do this. We were discouraged, as the poster was above,
by the sheer number of recipes that started out:

2 cans [Brand X] baked beans

We also talked to a lot of people who "made" their own baked beans, with
similar instructions. I would ask them why, and they were quite
surprised. It was just how it was done, open cans of beans, and then
make them "theirs" by adding stuff. Unfortunately, I don't like a lot
of sugar, and baked beans have too much sugar for my taste, and these
"enhancements" almost always involved brown sugar or catsup.

So my wife and I made baked beans two or three times. I think we took
them to a potluck once. So now we know, just buy a can of baked beans.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

aem 13-12-2008 04:19 AM

Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

On Dec 12, 9:01*am, " >
wrote:
> Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat recipes that
> include campbells canned beans.

Haven't had them for years, but I would guess something like this:
1. Boil some small white beans with a tiny bit of chopped salt pork
until beans are slightly overcooked. Drain to liquid consistency you
remember.
2. Buy the cheapest hot dogs you can find, cut them in half
lengthwise, then in thin half moons.
3. Add the hot dogs to the beans along with a large amount of sugar,
a small bit of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of ketchup.
That should take care of the essential ingredients. Adjust amounts to
taste and if they are still not quite right, stir in some msg. -
aem

Damsel in dis Dress[_2_] 13-12-2008 05:06 AM

Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:19:48 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>Haven't had them for years, but I would guess something like this:
>1. Boil some small white beans with a tiny bit of chopped salt pork
>until beans are slightly overcooked. Drain to liquid consistency you
>remember.
>2. Buy the cheapest hot dogs you can find, cut them in half
>lengthwise, then in thin half moons.
>3. Add the hot dogs to the beans along with a large amount of sugar,
>a small bit of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of ketchup.
>That should take care of the essential ingredients. Adjust amounts to
>taste and if they are still not quite right, stir in some msg.

You've just vividly reminded me of why I don't eat pork and beans.
ROFL! That being said, this will probably make a good approximation
of the canned ones. They definitely have a lot of ketchup in them.

Carol

sf[_9_] 13-12-2008 07:19 AM

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:09:57 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>> And isn't it simpler just to buy a can of beans once in a while?

>Two arguments against that:
>
>1. It's hard to really appreciate something unless you've tried to make
>it yourself.
>
>2. Sometimes when you try something different, you find a new favorite.
>
>So my wife and I decided to make some baked beans from scratch. I know
>my aunt used to do this. We were discouraged, as the poster was above,
>by the sheer number of recipes that started out:
>
>2 cans [Brand X] baked beans
>
>We also talked to a lot of people who "made" their own baked beans, with
>similar instructions. I would ask them why, and they were quite
>surprised. It was just how it was done, open cans of beans, and then
>make them "theirs" by adding stuff. Unfortunately, I don't like a lot
>of sugar, and baked beans have too much sugar for my taste, and these
>"enhancements" almost always involved brown sugar or catsup.
>
>So my wife and I made baked beans two or three times. I think we took
>them to a potluck once. So now we know, just buy a can of baked beans.

I love baked beans! Too bad the rest of my family doesn't. After
knocking myself out to make baked beans for a huge picnic (by request
of the host), I finally started thinking about canned beans and how
mine differed from the various brand names. I took a can of Bush's
Beans and taste tested mine with theirs. They were identical, so I
haven't made a small batch of baked beans since. Why bother if all
you really need is enough for yourself?

Mae West

sf[_9_] 13-12-2008 07:19 AM

wrote:

>On Dec 12, 9:01*am, " >
>wrote:
>> Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat recipes that
>> include campbells canned beans.
>>

>Haven't had them for years, but I would guess something like this:
>1. Boil some small white beans with a tiny bit of chopped salt pork
>until beans are slightly overcooked. Drain to liquid consistency you
>remember.
>2. Buy the cheapest hot dogs you can find, cut them in half
>lengthwise, then in thin half moons.
>3. Add the hot dogs to the beans along with a large amount of sugar,
>a small bit of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of ketchup.
>That should take care of the essential ingredients. Adjust amounts to
>taste and if they are still not quite right, stir in some msg. -
>aem

UGH.

Mae West