Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mashed Potatoes - Day before?

I've always done mine the day of and it really uses up a lot of room I could
use doing something else. I've heard many talk about making the mashed
potatoes the day before. I don't want leftover tasting potatoes the day of.
Has anyone done this and do they taste OK?

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 26 Nov 2008 01:07:56p, King's Crown told us...

> I've always done mine the day of and it really uses up a lot of room I
> could use doing something else. I've heard many talk about making the
> mashed potatoes the day before. I don't want leftover tasting potatoes
> the day of. Has anyone done this and do they taste OK?
>
> Lynne

I don’t like the “special” recipes for made ahead mashed potatoes. IMO,
they do not taste at all like regular mashed potatoes.

However, I have found (through leftovers) that the amount of butter and
cream used is directly related to how nicely the potatoes reheat and taste.
The more of each, the better. I also have good luck using buttermilk
instead of cream.

I don’t really have a recipe, but for 5 lbs. of potatoes I use a half pound
of unsalted butter, and just enough cream or buttermilk to achieve the
consistency you like.

When you reheat, it’s usually necessary to beat in a small amount of
additional cream or buttermilk to the right consistency. I think they’re
just as tasty.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
10hrs 29mins
SysAdmins can't be sued for malpractice, but surgeons don't have to
deal with patients who install new versions of their own innards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:07:56 -0800, "King's Crown" >
wrote:

>I've always done mine the day of and it really uses up a lot of room

Last year....we did them the day before and reheated in the extra
crock pot. They tasted just like they were made. OK...get the
kids out in the kitchen and start peeling taters!! Wishing you a
great one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 12:36*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:07:56 -0800, "King's Crown" >
> wrote:
>
> >I've always done mine the day of and it really uses up a lot of room

> Last year....we did them the day before and reheated in the extra
> crock pot. * They tasted just like they were made. * *OK...get the
> kids out in the kitchen and start peeling taters!! * *Wishing you a
> great one!

Excellent idea- wonder about the extra dressing, too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 2:51Â*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Nov 26, 12:36Â*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:07:56 -0800, "King's Crown" >
> > wrote:

> > >I've always done mine the day of and it really uses up a lot of room

> > Last year....we did them the day before and reheated in the extra
> > crock pot. Â* They tasted just like they were made. Â* Â*OK....get the
> > kids out in the kitchen and start peeling taters!! Â* Â*Wishing you a
> > great one!

> Excellent idea- wonder about the extra dressing, too?

================================

Crockpot Stuffing

4 eggs
1 tsp sage
2 Tbs butter
celery to taste
1 medium onion
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
8 inch pan cornbread
8 slices dry white bread
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 Tbs butter
Optional: 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (shelled!)

Method:۬۬In a large bowl mix together eggs, sage, celery, onion,
pepper, chicken broth, cornbread, white bread, sunflower seeds and
cream of chicken soup.

Place all this mixture in the crockpot and then dot the butter on
top.

Cook 2 hours on high then 4 hours on low.

Lynn in Fargo
Where the Sunflowers Grow Taller than She (Her?)