"Glug of Oilve Oil"?

Old 25-11-2008, 02:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Glug of Oilve Oil"?

Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"
Old 25-11-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin

jmcquown wrote:

Gotta love those obscure cooking terms A glug is pretty much two
tablespoonfuls. Depends on the exact recipe, of course. Could be three
tablespoonfuls depending on the amount of ingredients.

Or the mouth size of the bottle!

--Lin
Old 25-11-2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote

Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
should I use?

Americana cookery is inexact at times and uses terms like this when exact
measuring isnt needed. A 'glug' is about when you would hear the bottle
'glug' back at you when pouring fast. If you want to be pendantic, yes the
size of the bottle matters ;-)

Call it 2-3 TB when talking liquid oils.

In my recipes, I also use 'squizzle' for Tiparos patis. You pinhole the top
to make a squeezable bit and a squizzle is one squeeze. Amount about 1/4
TS.

Old 25-11-2008, 11:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote:

when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

Amen

Old 25-11-2008, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:10:54 +0100:

when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he
keeps using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this
mean? How much oil should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of
olive oil"

It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

I guess, it's one of those times where the quality of the result really
does not depend much on the amount of oil so silly quantities can be
given.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-11-2008, 01:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 9:17�pm, wrote:
Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

That requires the same mathematical formula one uses in determining
how much to butter bread. According to pythagoras the parameters of
oil glugs is soley dependant on the circumference of your waistline
divided by the volume of your ass when you look in the mirror.

Old 25-11-2008, 01:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
news
Giusi wrote on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:10:54 +0100:

when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he
keeps using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this
mean? How much oil should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of
olive oil"

It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

I guess, it's one of those times where the quality of the result really
does not depend much on the amount of oil so silly quantities can be
given.

Are you an engineer?

Old 25-11-2008, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote in message
"Dave Smith" wrote:

when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

Amen

It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered measuring oil for
frying.

Old 25-11-2008, 01:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyberfat" wrote:

It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered
measuring oil for frying.

That's why your ass is so huge.