Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking cornish hen question

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

MY favorite roasting pan is a cast iron fry pan. If you seal them in foil,
they will steam, not roast, and the skin will be rubbery.

Any sort of pan will do. Pie plate, glass baking dish, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:30:17 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
>> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
>> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
>> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Mark

>MY favorite roasting pan is a cast iron fry pan. If you seal them in foil,
>they will steam, not roast, and the skin will be rubbery.

Thanks, I have a nice cast iron Dutch oven that will do the trick. Do
you think it would be all right to add some potatoes on the side
inside the Dutch oven? Also, these are average size birds and I have
two of them. What temp would you cook them at and for about how long?
It does not say on the wrapper as far as I can see.

Thanks!
Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
>>> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
>>> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
>>> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>>
>>> Mark

>>MY favorite roasting pan is a cast iron fry pan. If you seal them in foil,
>>they will steam, not roast, and the skin will be rubbery.

> Thanks, I have a nice cast iron Dutch oven that will do the trick. Do
> you think it would be all right to add some potatoes on the side
> inside the Dutch oven? Also, these are average size birds and I have
> two of them. What temp would you cook them at and for about how long?
> It does not say on the wrapper as far as I can see.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

Here's my standard method for game hens:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Game Hens

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Chicken & Poultry Company
Convection Oven

1 tablespoon butter or margarine -- melted
1 teaspoon seasoned salt -- Lowry's
1 each rock cornish game hen
1 cup stuffing

Stuff hens with prepared stuffing. Brush with melted butter. Roast on rack
in 375 degrees oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.

Decrease cooking time to about 1 hour if using convection oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
> I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

No point in covering them with foil at all. You can pick up a tinfoil
roasting/baking pan in practically any grocery store or dollar store. Just
roast the hen in one of those. Brush with a little butter, sprinkle with
salt & pepper. The instructions are on the bag the cornish hen comes in.

They used to be (not all of them are) stuffed with the gizzards. Check to
make sure you don't leave them inside because they're usually wrapped in
paper if they are in there. They aren't terribly difficult to cook. They
are terribly tasty, though I roasted a couple last Christmas.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 19:43:57 -0600, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:30:17 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>wrote:
>

>>"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
>>> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
>>> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
>>> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>>
>>> Mark

>>MY favorite roasting pan is a cast iron fry pan. If you seal them in foil,
>>they will steam, not roast, and the skin will be rubbery.

>Thanks, I have a nice cast iron Dutch oven that will do the trick. Do
>you think it would be all right to add some potatoes on the side
>inside the Dutch oven? Also, these are average size birds and I have
>two of them. What temp would you cook them at and for about how long?
>It does not say on the wrapper as far as I can see.

How big is your dutch oven? Sounds huge. If yours is like mine, you
could lay the cornish hens on a bed of cubed potatoes to roast.

This recipe looks like it would cook both the cubed potatoes and the
chicken at about the same time.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...d-Game-Hens-62

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message

> Thanks, I have a nice cast iron Dutch oven that will do the trick. Do
> you think it would be all right to add some potatoes on the side
> inside the Dutch oven? Also, these are average size birds and I have
> two of them. What temp would you cook them at and for about how long?
> It does not say on the wrapper as far as I can see.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

If you add the potatoes, the cooking time may increase a little if space get
tight. With room around them, I'd cook at 375 for about an hour. Add the
potatoes and add maybe 15 minutes. Best to check with a meat thermometer
and take them to 160.

I'd also put a couple of carrots or celery stalks on the bottom to keep the
hens out of the drippings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 15 Nov 2008 05:09:53p, FERRANTE told us...

> I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

First off, Mark, roasting pans are cheap. Why don’t you buy one?

If not, a glass baking dish lined with foil, then sprayed with a quick
release spray like Pam or Crisco will work just fine. You don’t really need
a rack. Elevate the hens on a bed of celery sticks, carrot sticks, and
onions.

Seasoning? That opens up a lot of choices. You can go completely savory by
adding onions and garlic cloves to the cavity, along with rubbing the skin
with butter and poultry seasoning. Lemon slices are good too, slipped under
the skin.

You could also make a stuffing, sweet or savory. They could also be glazed
with a fruit glace like orange or cherry.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 4dys 2hrs 42mins
I came, I saw, she conquered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
FERRANTE > wrote:

> I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

A glass dish will work fine, but I never bother to cover them.
A number of flavorings will work. I most often use garlic powder, fresh
or ground rosemary and a little black pepper.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
FERRANTE > wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:30:17 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> >"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> >> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> >> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> >> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your help.
> >>
> >> Mark

> >MY favorite roasting pan is a cast iron fry pan. If you seal them in foil,
> >they will steam, not roast, and the skin will be rubbery.

> Thanks, I have a nice cast iron Dutch oven that will do the trick. Do
> you think it would be all right to add some potatoes on the side
> inside the Dutch oven? Also, these are average size birds and I have
> two of them. What temp would you cook them at and for about how long?
> It does not say on the wrapper as far as I can see.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

350 for maybe 45 minutes tops. Cornish hens are delicate.

Spuds might need to be cooked a bit longer.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Omelet wrote:

> 350 for maybe 45 minutes tops. Cornish hens are delicate.
>
> Spuds might need to be cooked a bit longer.

I typically do two birds at a time. The average for my oven (at the same
temp) is 1 hr., 15 min. Sometimes 1.5 hrs.

I do like spatch-cocked bird, and on the grill it's wonderful. I think
it was America's Test Kitchen that I learned about using skewers that
made it easier to cook and maneuver the birds on a grill when spatch-cocked.

Seasonings are as simple as salt, pepper and garlic. I do put a little
olive oil on the birds as well. I have brined them before, but it was a
bit too salty on the finish. I found brining to be a bit of overkill on
such delicate little darlings.

I'm with you on the potatoes. I love roasted taters, but I always
parboil them in salted water and add them during the last 30-45 minutes
of my cook time.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > 350 for maybe 45 minutes tops. Cornish hens are delicate.
> >
> > Spuds might need to be cooked a bit longer.

> I typically do two birds at a time. The average for my oven (at the same
> temp) is 1 hr., 15 min. Sometimes 1.5 hrs.
>
> I do like spatch-cocked bird, and on the grill it's wonderful. I think
> it was America's Test Kitchen that I learned about using skewers that
> made it easier to cook and maneuver the birds on a grill when spatch-cocked.
>
> Seasonings are as simple as salt, pepper and garlic. I do put a little
> olive oil on the birds as well. I have brined them before, but it was a
> bit too salty on the finish. I found brining to be a bit of overkill on
> such delicate little darlings.
>
> I'm with you on the potatoes. I love roasted taters, but I always
> parboil them in salted water and add them during the last 30-45 minutes
> of my cook time.
>
> --Lin

I've spatchcocked and grilled cornish hens too. They are wonderful that
way!
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE"
>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

Most of what Ed said is what I would advise, EXCEPT do not line with foil
because then you can't slosh a bit of wine in and grt the browned bits off
for a sauce. You'll end up losing a lot of flavor in the dishwater.
I would not use my dutch oven because the sides are too high for good heat
circulation. Lower is better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in
:

> "FERRANTE"
>>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
>> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
>> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
>> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Mark

> Most of what Ed said is what I would advise, EXCEPT do not line with
> foil because then you can't slosh a bit of wine in and grt the browned
> bits off for a sauce. You'll end up losing a lot of flavor in the
> dishwater. I would not use my dutch oven because the sides are too
> high for good heat circulation. Lower is better.

Most frypans can take at least 350F....put the bird(s) in a frypan. No
lid, this will allow for making gravy on top of the stove, later on.

The 350F restriction is mostly due to plastic handles...if your cookwear
has metal handles go nutz.

OR

A cookie sheet will work in a pinch if it has a decent sized lip
surrounding it. Cut the birds in half, place each half bird on a pile of
stuffing (on the cookie sheet), season to your liking and go to town. The
stuffing will absorb most of any liquids and the lip will prevent spillage
from what the stuffing doesn't handle. I usually make up a stuffing by
adding dried diced appricots etc... to a store bought prepared stuffing
mix (not stovetop).

Convection ovens do a fine job on birds.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>How big is your dutch oven? Sounds huge. If yours is like mine, you
>could lay the cornish hens on a bed of cubed potatoes to roast.

Actually, the dutch oven is about 10 inches across and quite deep. I
think it will work well. The recipe sounds good and thank you for it.

Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:09:53 -0600, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
>roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
>foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
>spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Mark

I would think anything you do with chicken, you can do here.

FWIW We had a discussion at one of our little Dinner Clubs over
Cornish Game hens and the consensus was they are just young chickens.
We all remarked how we'd never seen a Cornish Game hen farm. So after
some googling, we discovered that there used to be Cornish Game hen
farms, and there may be a few still left, but now Cornish Game Hens-
for the most part are just young small chickens.

aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I certainly appreciate
everyone's advice and I will post my results as well. Maybe I will do
as others have done and take a pic to post of the end result.

You do remember my pics of my first attempt at making meatballs, don't
you...

Thanks again!
Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 7:09 pm, FERRANTE > wrote:
> I plan on cooking a couple of Cornish hens Sunday, but I do not have a
> roasting pan. I have never cooked these before. Would sealing them in
> foil work? A glass dish covered in foil? Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

I make do with the bottom of my broiler pan or I bet even a glass
baking dish would do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

No problems!
Just put those boys right on the rack of the oven with a cookie sheet
UNDER them to catch the drippings, on the lower rack. It might be a
good idea to cover the cookie sheet with foil and make a little edge to
make sure the drippings STAY on the cookie sheet and not run into your
oven, naking a mess.

Or, you could mkake a "pan" out of the foil by putting down two or three
layers and folding the edges up.

OR you can just buy one of those alumininum disposable pans they sell
this time of year for turkeys.

I dont own a real roasting pan, either---I always "fake" it. Those
disposable ones are a godsend.

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:45:54 -0600, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>>How big is your dutch oven? Sounds huge. If yours is like mine, you
>>could lay the cornish hens on a bed of cubed potatoes to roast.

>Actually, the dutch oven is about 10 inches across and quite deep. I
>think it will work well. The recipe sounds good and thank you for it.

OK, your dutch oven is the same size as mine.... it should work for
you. Good luck! BTW, you'll be surprised by how brown and crispy
those potatoes turn out. Try to stir them once and a while, maybe
twice. If you can't, they should be ok anyway. Drizzle the potatoes
(waxy potatoes work well for this) with olive oil and sprinkle with
freshly chopped rosemary and garlic, mix well before placing the hens
on top. If the potatoes aren't browned enough, raise the heat and
leave them in the oven (uncovered) while you let the chicken rest.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:45:54 -0600, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>

> >>How big is your dutch oven? Sounds huge. If yours is like mine, you
> >>could lay the cornish hens on a bed of cubed potatoes to roast.

> >Actually, the dutch oven is about 10 inches across and quite deep. I
> >think it will work well. The recipe sounds good and thank you for it.
> >

> OK, your dutch oven is the same size as mine.... it should work for
> you. Good luck! BTW, you'll be surprised by how brown and crispy
> those potatoes turn out. Try to stir them once and a while, maybe
> twice. If you can't, they should be ok anyway. Drizzle the potatoes
> (waxy potatoes work well for this) with olive oil and sprinkle with
> freshly chopped rosemary and garlic, mix well before placing the hens
> on top. If the potatoes aren't browned enough, raise the heat and
> leave them in the oven (uncovered) while you let the chicken rest.

Can I eat at your house Barb? :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:57:15 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Can I eat at your house Barb? :-)

sure!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:57:15 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Can I eat at your house Barb? :-)

> sure!

I'll be right there! <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
>> How big is your dutch oven? Sounds huge. If yours is like mine, you
>> could lay the cornish hens on a bed of cubed potatoes to roast.

> Actually, the dutch oven is about 10 inches across and quite deep. I
> think it will work well. The recipe sounds good and thank you for it.
>
> Mark

The deeper the vessel, the less dry heat focused on the bird to dry
roast and crisp em up. It won't brown as well under the level of the pan
on the side. That's why roasting pans tend to be low sided.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:33:53 -0500, Goomba wrote:

> I find them cliche and kinda corny foo-foo. I mean, they were always the
> first "real food" girls cook for guys years ago and were played up to be
> special romantic meals but that was like 30 years ago. But they're kinda
> ordinary tasting and IMO, a PITA to eat. Special romantic meals don't
> inspire me to want to perform a disection just to get to a little
> ordinary tasting meat.

that's what all the girls say.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi all,
Well, I had my Cornish hens last night. Sadly, I was disappointed
with them. I incorporated many of the ideas given here and the birds
looked really nice, crisp skin, which I did enjoyed very much.
However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
the taste (I know this sounds dirty...). I think I am just too set on
the taste of chicken. I had mashed potatoes , stuffing, and corn with
it, all of which were very good. I guess I'm just not a game bird
person.
Tonight, I am making homemade macaroni and cheese to which I add
cut-up smoked sausage and fresh sourdough bread.

Thanks again for all your help!
Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:

> However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
> the taste (I know this sounds dirty...).

Hey, you *paid* for the "services" of the bird, too bad it didn't "put out"
for ya...but it *is* "fowl", *not* "pussy".

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Although given the rest of the comments on this thread it may be
misconstrued, I strongly suggest that you bone them, leaving in only the leg
bone. Then stuff them with something like homemade boudin blanc or a good
wild rice, reforming around the stuffing so that it looks whole, and roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" wrote

> Well, I had my Cornish hens last night. Sadly, I was disappointed
> with them. I incorporated many of the ideas given here and the birds
> looked really nice, crisp skin, which I did enjoyed very much.
> However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
> the taste (I know this sounds dirty...). I think I am just too set on
> the taste of chicken. I had mashed potatoes , stuffing, and corn with
> it, all of which were very good. I guess I'm just not a game bird
> person.

Ah, you had actual freerange sort then? Called 'Wild cornish hen'. Had i
known, I'd have adapted the recipe selections.

It's like Duck. I find the farm raised sort delicious but the true wild
ones do not suit me.

You'll probably like the regular grocery store 'cornish hens' (actually they
are just young chickens).

> Tonight, I am making homemade macaroni and cheese to which I add
> cut-up smoked sausage and fresh sourdough bread.

Yummie!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 7:09 pm, FERRANTE > wrote:
Also, any suggestions on any
> spices to add that might enhance the flavor of the birds?

I toss into the cavity some crushed garlic loves, then baste with a
mixture of tarragon, butter and white wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:02:08 -0600, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>Hi all,
> Well, I had my Cornish hens last night. Sadly, I was disappointed
>with them. I incorporated many of the ideas given here and the birds
>looked really nice, crisp skin, which I did enjoyed very much.
>However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
>the taste (I know this sounds dirty...). I think I am just too set on
>the taste of chicken. I had mashed potatoes , stuffing, and corn with
>it, all of which were very good. I guess I'm just not a game bird
>person.
> Tonight, I am making homemade macaroni and cheese to which I add
>cut-up smoked sausage and fresh sourdough bread.
>
>Thanks again for all your help!
>Mark

That's great that you gave something new a try. Don't stop being
adventurous with your cooking.
What a boring world if we all had the same tastes. I'm looking forward
to more of your adventures in cooking.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Nov 2008 01:02:08p, FERRANTE told us...

> Hi all,
> Well, I had my Cornish hens last night. Sadly, I was disappointed
> with them. I incorporated many of the ideas given here and the birds
> looked really nice, crisp skin, which I did enjoyed very much.
> However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
> the taste (I know this sounds dirty...). I think I am just too set on
> the taste of chicken. I had mashed potatoes , stuffing, and corn with
> it, all of which were very good. I guess I'm just not a game bird
> person.
> Tonight, I am making homemade macaroni and cheese to which I add
> cut-up smoked sausage and fresh sourdough bread.
>
> Thanks again for all your help!
> Mark

We learn a lot from cooking and eating, especially things we’ve not tried
before. All the more reason to keep trying things you think you might
like.

Personally, I really like Cornish hens, but I know other people who don’t.
The same for duck and goose. I happen to like both. However, I’m one of
the few people I know who can’t stand the smell or taste of turkey. Go
figure…

Your mac and cheese with smoked sausage sounds good!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 11(XI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 2dys 5hrs 28mins
People own dogs. Cats own people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:36:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 17 Nov 2008 01:02:08p, FERRANTE told us...
>
>> Hi all,
>> Well, I had my Cornish hens last night. Sadly, I was disappointed
>> with them. I incorporated many of the ideas given here and the birds
>> looked really nice, crisp skin, which I did enjoyed very much.
>> However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
>> the taste (I know this sounds dirty...). I think I am just too set on
>> the taste of chicken. I had mashed potatoes , stuffing, and corn with
>> it, all of which were very good. I guess I'm just not a game bird
>> person.
>> Tonight, I am making homemade macaroni and cheese to which I add
>> cut-up smoked sausage and fresh sourdough bread.
>>
>> Thanks again for all your help!
>> Mark

>We learn a lot from cooking and eating, especially things we’ve not tried
>before. All the more reason to keep trying things you think you might
>like.
>
>Personally, I really like Cornish hens, but I know other people who don’t.
>The same for duck and goose. I happen to like both. However, I’m one of
>the few people I know who can’t stand the smell or taste of turkey. Go
>figure…

I'm in the identical camp. I'll do a small turkey in the grill for
Louise and maybe have a bit of dark meat. That's what I did last year
and we still ended up tossing leftovers a few days later. Yuk...

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Nov 2008 06:46:42p, Lou Decruss told us...

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:36:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 17 Nov 2008 01:02:08p, FERRANTE told us...
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Well, I had my Cornish hens last night. Sadly, I was disappointed
>>> with them. I incorporated many of the ideas given here and the birds
>>> looked really nice, crisp skin, which I did enjoyed very much.
>>> However, when eating the meat , I found that I did not really like
>>> the taste (I know this sounds dirty...). I think I am just too set on
>>> the taste of chicken. I had mashed potatoes , stuffing, and corn with
>>> it, all of which were very good. I guess I'm just not a game bird
>>> person.
>>> Tonight, I am making homemade macaroni and cheese to which I add
>>> cut-up smoked sausage and fresh sourdough bread.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all your help!
>>> Mark

>>We learn a lot from cooking and eating, especially things we’ve not
>>tried before. All the more reason to keep trying things you think you
>>might like.
>>
>>Personally, I really like Cornish hens, but I know other people who
>>don’t. The same for duck and goose. I happen to like both. However,
>>I’m one of the few people I know who can’t stand the smell or taste of
>>turkey. Go figure…

> I'm in the identical camp. I'll do a small turkey in the grill for
> Louise and maybe have a bit of dark meat. That's what I did last year
> and we still ended up tossing leftovers a few days later. Yuk...
>
> Lou

David loves turkey breast so I roast a bone-in breast at Thanksgiving. I
can manage to eat a small slice or two when it’s still warm from being
roasted, providing I have good gravy and side dishes. After that, it’s all
his or to the trash bin. Even our cats don’t care for turkey, although
they love chicken.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 11(XI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 2dys 5hrs 5mins
Percepi et esse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" wrote

> That's great that you gave something new a try. Don't stop being
> adventurous with your cooking.
> What a boring world if we all had the same tastes. I'm looking forward
> to more of your adventures in cooking.

Same here Koko! I love trying something new.

I did one last night. A new to me 'rooster sauce' (siracha HOT) which was
for chicken wings. I'd gotten a good deal on 'buffalo wings' but it turned
out they had only a very very mild sprinkle of paprika on them. Definately
not enough seasoning.

I squirted out about 2 TB of the HOT stuff, then taste tested and adjusted
with about same amount catsup and then added ranch dressing. I rolled them
around in this and baked them for about 1 hour at a low temp (325). Not
crispy but I wasnt looking for that, but the edges crisped just a bit and
the sauce was slightly carmelized.

I'd have more of them but Don found the last bits in the fridge and ate'em
all up ;-|

Hey, I can make more!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:57:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 17 Nov 2008 06:46:42p, Lou Decruss told us...

>> I'm in the identical camp. I'll do a small turkey in the grill for
>> Louise and maybe have a bit of dark meat. That's what I did last year
>> and we still ended up tossing leftovers a few days later. Yuk...
>>
>> Lou
>>

>David loves turkey breast so I roast a bone-in breast at Thanksgiving. I
>can manage to eat a small slice or two when it’s still warm from being
>roasted, providing I have good gravy and side dishes. After that, it’s all
>his or to the trash bin. Even our cats don’t care for turkey, although
>they love chicken.

Smart cats!!! Actually I can usually handle one leftover sandwich if
it's loaded with mayo and lots of salt. I don't even like salt much
and just use it on eggs once in awhile, but it's good with turkey
sandwiches.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

> We learn a lot from cooking and eating, especially things we've not tried
> before. All the more reason to keep trying things you think you might
> like.

Yup, amazing what all is out there! I try something new each trip to the
store but it's getting harder to find something 'new' so it's oft a new
recipe in a unique way I've not tasted now.

> Personally, I really like Cornish hens, but I know other people who don't.
> The same for duck and goose. I happen to like both. However, I'm one of
> the few people I know who can't stand the smell or taste of turkey. Go
> figure.

Heheh I like Turkey but not enough to have it several times a year.

Post thanksgiving when the sales start, I'll get an extra this year for the
freezer which will get used around March or so (I have the extra chest
freezer so have space to do this). I'll have to pay full price for one for
now. Not sure what that is yet.

Charlotte has not had many full turkey roasted dinners that she can recall,
because we were overseas til she was almost 14 and we didnt have a stove
able to handle them for quite a few of those years (small Japan ones,
commisary only having huge 30lb birds by the time we got there etc). Last
year, we had our big oven but our stuff was still enroute. We made do with
a disposable pan but the meal wasnt real fancy. This year, I dont get off
work in time to help but we can get a little upscale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:29:34 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

>> Personally, I really like Cornish hens, but I know other people who don't.
>> The same for duck and goose. I happen to like both. However, I'm one of
>> the few people I know who can't stand the smell or taste of turkey. Go
>> figure.

>Heheh I like Turkey but not enough to have it several times a year.

I tell ya, y'all should try a heritage turkey. It might change your
mind...

Christine