Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 15 miles from MUSHROOMS aaarrrgggh

Oh man...I went to town yeaterday all jazzed about making a pot of coq
au vin, bought everything on my grocery list but forgot mushrooms!

Sigh. Cant make it without them...cant drive 30 miles round trip JUST
to get them....even if I could drive. I could CRY.

Now....there's these two GIANT mushrooms in my backyard....but tempting
as they look, I dont feel lucky today, LOL.

That might put a whole new slant on "a dish to DIE for".

Color me sad.

LassChance

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lass Chance_2" > wrote in message
> Oh man...I went to town yeaterday all jazzed about making a pot of coq
> au vin, bought everything on my grocery list but forgot mushrooms!
>
> Sigh. Cant make it without them...cant drive 30 miles round trip JUST
> to get them....even if I could drive. I could CRY.
>
> Now....there's these two GIANT mushrooms in my backyard....but tempting
> as they look, I dont feel lucky today, LOL.
>
> That might put a whole new slant on "a dish to DIE for".
>
> Color me sad.
>
> LassChance

I'd be very careful. For this, I always have dried porcinis on hand.
Moisturize them with H2O, saving the soaking liquid for the dish, then saute
them gently in butter before you add both the mushsrooms and the soaking
liquid to the braising liquid. This changes the taste somewhat, but in a
very positive fashion. Dried porcinis tend to be expensive, $65 - 80/lb.
However that's equivalent to at least 10lb of fresh mushrooms. In the SF Bay
area I'm able to buy them for $30/lb.
Good Luck,

Blob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 7:17*am, (Lass Chance_2) wrote:
> Oh man...I went to town yeaterday all jazzed about making a pot of coq
> au vin, bought everything on my grocery list but forgot mushrooms!
>
> Sigh. *Cant make it without them...cant drive 30 miles round trip JUST
> to get them....even if I could drive. I could CRY.
>
> Now....there's these two GIANT mushrooms in my backyard....but tempting
> as they look, I dont feel lucky today, LOL.
>
> That might put a whole new slant on "a dish to DIE for".
>
> Color me sad.
>
> LassChance

Bummer, but thanks for not trying what you have in your yard- that
could really be your lass chance. Or maybe you'd feel really "groovy"
and enjoy watching your food dancing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks, Bob. Ive never used dried mushrooms, mostly because they are
pretty pricey. But the idea of adding the soaking liquid TO the sauce
sounds fabulous.

I'll pick some up next shopping trip.

Lass

For this, I always have dried porcinis on hand. Moisturize them with
H2O, saving the soaking liquid for the dish, then saute them gently in
butter before you add both the mushsrooms and the soaking liquid to the
braising liquid. This changes the taste somewhat, but in a very positive
fashion. Dried porcinis tend to be expensive, $65 - 80/lb. However
that's equivalent to at least 10lb of fresh mushrooms. In the SF Bay
area I'm able to buy them for $30/lb.
Good Luck,
Blob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb---NOW yer talkin!
..Just ask Aiice...when she's ten feet tall...

Lass

Bummer, but thanks for not trying what you have in your yard- that could
really be your lass chance. Or maybe you'd feel really "groovy" and
enjoy watching your food dancing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lass Chance_2" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Bob. Ive never used dried mushrooms, mostly because they are
> pretty pricey. But the idea of adding the soaking liquid TO the sauce
> sounds fabulous.
>
> I'll pick some up next shopping trip.
>
> Lass
>
> For this, I always have dried porcinis on hand. Moisturize them with
> H2O, saving the soaking liquid for the dish, then saute them gently in
> butter before you add both the mushsrooms and the soaking liquid to the
> braising liquid. This changes the taste somewhat, but in a very positive
> fashion. Dried porcinis tend to be expensive, $65 - 80/lb. However
> that's equivalent to at least 10lb of fresh mushrooms. In the SF Bay
> area I'm able to buy them for $30/lb.
> Good Luck,
> Blob

Lass, depending on your location, you might do better buying dried porcinis
online. This looks attractive. The Italians grade their porcinis, so a true
A grade is really an A grade, even from different suppliers.

I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12245439...lties&page =1

Blob