Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where to buy zucchini flowers

Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote in message
> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed
> zucchini flowers.

Both of my independent grocers sell them but I've only seen
them during early spring and summer. Is there a local farmers
market that you hit that has some favored vendors? One of the
micro-growers (spinach, arugula, etc.) might be able to tell
you if they're available and where.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> Paul M. Cook > wrote in message
>> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed
>> zucchini flowers.

> Both of my independent grocers sell them but I've only seen them during
> early spring and summer. Is there a local farmers market that you hit that
> has some favored vendors? One of the micro-growers (spinach, arugula,
> etc.) might be able to tell you if they're available and where.

Nope, no farmers market. See this is whee I think I am screwed. It seems
the only source for them is direct from a grower and then only if you know
them personally. And even then you have to be high on their favorites list.
This is what I surmise from my online searches. I was hoping somewhere
there was some specialty place that sold them online - kind of like those
specialty veggie boxes you can subscribe to.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:05:39 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.
>
> Paul

lie down until the urge passes.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:
> Paul M. wrote:
> >
> > Well, where? �All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

> lie down until the urge passes.

Talking flowers here, not pulling
your zucchini until it flows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini
> flowers.
> Paul

They are very fragile, I think that you will have to get them during the
growing season locally. Or grow your own squash and harvest the blossoms.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini
> flowers.
>
> Paul

This is what eating seasonally means. No zucchini flowers in autumn and
winter. Next summer remind me and I will link you to flowers stuffed with
cous cous, which we in my neighborhood voted da bomb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

Preferably at the store. I doubt if I told you that "I saw them at
Sun Harvest this morning", that would do you any good.

IOW, you didn't really expect a useful answer, did you.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Paul M. Cook > wrote in message
>>> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed
>>> zucchini flowers.

> Nope, no farmers market. See this is whee I think I am screwed. It seems
> the only source for them is direct from a grower and then only if you know
> them personally. And even then you have to be high on their favorites list.
> This is what I surmise from my online searches. I was hoping somewhere
> there was some specialty place that sold them online - kind of like those
> specialty veggie boxes you can subscribe to.
>
> Paul

Unless you live in the tropics or southern hemisphere, they are
out of season till next spring/summer.

As far as online, they are pretty fragile and I can't imagine they'd
ship well.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini
>> flowers.
>>
>> Paul

> This is what eating seasonally means. No zucchini flowers in autumn and
> winter. Next summer remind me and I will link you to flowers stuffed with
> cous cous, which we in my neighborhood voted da bomb.

Yeah, my palate is out of sync. I guess they'll taste that much better next
spring. I probably will have to plant some zux if I hope to be able to try
them. Produce hell, that's where I live.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How do you cook the flowers?

I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
flowers.

Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?

This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

LassChance

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lass Chance_2" > wrote in message
> How do you cook the flowers?
>
> I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
> flowers.
>
> Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?
>
> This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
> plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

In my case I wanted to stuff them with 5 cheeses and prosciutto. You can
stuff them with all kinds of things and serve with any number of sauces.
I've never had them but the recipes look really tasty. I would imagine
yellow squash flowers would be just as good.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
> How do you cook the flowers?
>
> I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
> flowers.
>
> Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?
>
> This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
> plant. But if I can cook the flowers....
>
> LassChance

My father grew up eating batter fried squash blossoms, but he never made
them for us. Bummer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook"
> "Lass Chance_2"
>> How do you cook the flowers?
>>
>> I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
>> flowers.
>>
>> Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?
>>
>> This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
>> plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

> In my case I wanted to stuff them with 5 cheeses and prosciutto. You can
> stuff them with all kinds of things and serve with any number of sauces.
> I've never had them but the recipes look really tasty. I would imagine
> yellow squash flowers would be just as good.
>
> Paul

They are, but fried aquash blossoms are really best, IMO, not stuffed with
anything. If I made them for myself I would not stuff them.
The best batter is flour, salt and carbonated water. Beer is just as good
but no better. Egg batters are oilier and soft instead of crunchy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Yeah, my palate is out of sync. I guess they'll taste that much better next
> spring. I probably will have to plant some zux if I hope to be able to try
> them. Produce hell, that's where I live.

I'm confused. Unless you've moved since the last time you posted your
location, you live pretty close to where much of the fresh produce in
the US is grown (Southern California). If you want to experience
produce hell, try Alaska. High prices, poor selection and poor quality.
Hawaii has some great tropical stuff, but for cool weather crops, same
story.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

>> Yeah, my palate is out of sync. I guess they'll taste that much better
>> next
>> spring. I probably will have to plant some zux if I hope to be able to
>> try
>> them. Produce hell, that's where I live.

> I'm confused. Unless you've moved since the last time you posted your
> location, you live pretty close to where much of the fresh produce in
> the US is grown (Southern California). If you want to experience
> produce hell, try Alaska. High prices, poor selection and poor quality.
> Hawaii has some great tropical stuff, but for cool weather crops, same
> story.

Yep, SoCal. I can get great produce if I want to go on a 100 mile round
trip. I do not want to go on a hundred mile round trip for veggies. I
simply have not the time and gas is expensive. The crap they sell in the
markets around here defies description. Most of the produce is grown in the
Imperial Valley/Kern County which is over 150 miles due north of here. By
the time it gets to me all that is left is what nobody else wanted.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:51:41 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah, my palate is out of sync. I guess they'll taste that much better
>>> next
>>> spring. I probably will have to plant some zux if I hope to be able to
>>> try
>>> them. Produce hell, that's where I live.

>> I'm confused. Unless you've moved since the last time you posted your
>> location, you live pretty close to where much of the fresh produce in
>> the US is grown (Southern California). If you want to experience
>> produce hell, try Alaska. High prices, poor selection and poor quality.
>> Hawaii has some great tropical stuff, but for cool weather crops, same
>> story.

>Yep, SoCal. I can get great produce if I want to go on a 100 mile round
>trip. I do not want to go on a hundred mile round trip for veggies. I
>simply have not the time and gas is expensive. The crap they sell in the
>markets around here defies description. Most of the produce is grown in the
>Imperial Valley/Kern County which is over 150 miles due north of here. By
>the time it gets to me all that is left is what nobody else wanted.
>
>Paul

Here is a list of CA farmers markets. Are there none that are close
to you?
I gave the same list to Blinky, and he was surprised to find that
there was more available (and closer) than he thought.

http://www.cafarmersmarkets.com/find-market

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:51:41 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dan Abel" > wrote in message

>>> I'm confused. Unless you've moved since the last time you posted your
>>> location, you live pretty close to where much of the fresh produce in
>>> the US is grown (Southern California). If you want to experience
>>> produce hell, try Alaska. High prices, poor selection and poor quality.
>>> Hawaii has some great tropical stuff, but for cool weather crops, same
>>> story.

>>Yep, SoCal. I can get great produce if I want to go on a 100 mile round
>>trip. I do not want to go on a hundred mile round trip for veggies. I
>>simply have not the time and gas is expensive. The crap they sell in the
>>markets around here defies description. Most of the produce is grown in
>>the
>>Imperial Valley/Kern County which is over 150 miles due north of here. By
>>the time it gets to me all that is left is what nobody else wanted.
>>
>>Paul
>>

> Here is a list of CA farmers markets. Are there none that are close
> to you?
> I gave the same list to Blinky, and he was surprised to find that
> there was more available (and closer) than he thought.
>
> http://www.cafarmersmarkets.com/find-market

Hmmm ... yeah one or two. The Claremont one is like 1000 feet from me. I
have been there before and found it pretty dismal. It gets picked over by
9:00am usually. There is only so much I am willing to do for veggies and
waking up early is not on the list.

The San Dimas one I think I just may check out.

Thanks for the list

Paul