Where to buy zucchini flowers

Old 19-10-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where to buy zucchini flowers

Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

Paul

Old 19-10-2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote in message
Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed
zucchini flowers.

Both of my independent grocers sell them but I've only seen
them during early spring and summer. Is there a local farmers
market that you hit that has some favored vendors? One of the
micro-growers (spinach, arugula, etc.) might be able to tell
you if they're available and where.

The Ranger

Old 19-10-2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
Paul M. Cook wrote in message
Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed
zucchini flowers.

Both of my independent grocers sell them but I've only seen them during
early spring and summer. Is there a local farmers market that you hit that
has some favored vendors? One of the micro-growers (spinach, arugula,
etc.) might be able to tell you if they're available and where.

Nope, no farmers market. See this is whee I think I am screwed. It seems
the only source for them is direct from a grower and then only if you know
them personally. And even then you have to be high on their favorites list.
This is what I surmise from my online searches. I was hoping somewhere
there was some specialty place that sold them online - kind of like those
specialty veggie boxes you can subscribe to.

Paul

Old 19-10-2008, 03:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:05:39 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

Paul

lie down until the urge passes.

your pal,
blake
Old 19-10-2008, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:
Paul M. wrote:

Well, where? ´┐ŻAll of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

lie down until the urge passes.

Talking flowers here, not pulling
your zucchini until it flows.
Old 19-10-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini
flowers.
Paul

They are very fragile, I think that you will have to get them during the
growing season locally. Or grow your own squash and harvest the blossoms.
Janet

Old 19-10-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio
Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini
flowers.

Paul

This is what eating seasonally means. No zucchini flowers in autumn and
winter. Next summer remind me and I will link you to flowers stuffed with
cous cous, which we in my neighborhood voted da bomb.

Old 19-10-2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini flowers.

Preferably at the store. I doubt if I told you that "I saw them at
Sun Harvest this morning", that would do you any good.

IOW, you didn't really expect a useful answer, did you.

-sw
Old 20-10-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote in message
Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed
zucchini flowers.

Nope, no farmers market. See this is whee I think I am screwed. It seems
the only source for them is direct from a grower and then only if you know
them personally. And even then you have to be high on their favorites list.
This is what I surmise from my online searches. I was hoping somewhere
there was some specialty place that sold them online - kind of like those
specialty veggie boxes you can subscribe to.

Paul

Unless you live in the tropics or southern hemisphere, they are
out of season till next spring/summer.

As far as online, they are pretty fragile and I can't imagine they'd
ship well.

gloria p
Old 20-10-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio
Well, where? All of a sudden I just have to make stuffed zucchini
flowers.

Paul

This is what eating seasonally means. No zucchini flowers in autumn and
winter. Next summer remind me and I will link you to flowers stuffed with
cous cous, which we in my neighborhood voted da bomb.

Yeah, my palate is out of sync. I guess they'll taste that much better next
spring. I probably will have to plant some zux if I hope to be able to try
them. Produce hell, that's where I live.

Paul

Old 20-10-2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

How do you cook the flowers?

I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
flowers.

Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?

This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

LassChance

Old 20-10-2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lass Chance_2" wrote in message
How do you cook the flowers?

I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
flowers.

Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?

This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

In my case I wanted to stuff them with 5 cheeses and prosciutto. You can
stuff them with all kinds of things and serve with any number of sauces.
I've never had them but the recipes look really tasty. I would imagine
yellow squash flowers would be just as good.

Paul

Old 20-10-2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
How do you cook the flowers?

I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
flowers.

Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?

This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

LassChance

My father grew up eating batter fried squash blossoms, but he never made
them for us. Bummer
Old 20-10-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook"
"Lass Chance_2"
How do you cook the flowers?

I dont like zuchini and dont grow it. But I would, just to try the
flowers.

Can you also cook the yellow Summer squash flowers?

This would be great, because I get WAY too many squash from just one
plant. But if I can cook the flowers....

In my case I wanted to stuff them with 5 cheeses and prosciutto. You can
stuff them with all kinds of things and serve with any number of sauces.
I've never had them but the recipes look really tasty. I would imagine
yellow squash flowers would be just as good.

Paul

They are, but fried aquash blossoms are really best, IMO, not stuffed with
anything. If I made them for myself I would not stuff them.
The best batter is flour, salt and carbonated water. Beer is just as good
but no better. Egg batters are oilier and soft instead of crunchy.

Old 21-10-2008, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Yeah, my palate is out of sync. I guess they'll taste that much better next
spring. I probably will have to plant some zux if I hope to be able to try
them. Produce hell, that's where I live.

I'm confused. Unless you've moved since the last time you posted your
location, you live pretty close to where much of the fresh produce in
the US is grown (Southern California). If you want to experience
produce hell, try Alaska. High prices, poor selection and poor quality.
Hawaii has some great tropical stuff, but for cool weather crops, same
story.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA