Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit Flies (OT)

All of the sudden I`ve got a bunch of these damn things, mostly in and
around the kitchen sink. I have no idea why, I have NO fruit or produce
of any kind even in the house, let alone sitting out. Anyone have any
experience with this? Yes, I googled but thought maybe someone here
would have some good tips. I read putting wine in a glass and making a
trap, but I dont have any wine and I`m not buying it just to catch
flies.

Yes, I am on webtv - please don`t flame me for that. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lorraine64 wrote:

> Yes, I am on webtv - please don`t flame me for that. Thank you.

Oh, not at all...

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> All of the sudden I`ve got a bunch of these damn things, mostly in and
> around the kitchen sink. I have no idea why, I have NO fruit or produce
> of any kind even in the house, let alone sitting out. Anyone have any
> experience with this? Yes, I googled but thought maybe someone here
> would have some good tips. I read putting wine in a glass and making a
> trap, but I dont have any wine and I`m not buying it just to catch
> flies.

I asked about fruit flies a short while ago. In my case, I could trace
the infestation to some bananas, but days after the bananas were gone
and everything in the house had been scrubbed, vacuumed, and put away,
they lingered. I tried the traps and learned that vinegar attracts the
flies as well as wine. I also learned that the flies hung out on the
OUTSIDE of the traps rather than going down the funnel. The best
solution for me was some vinegar in a jar with old fashioned fly paper
dangling on top of it.

If you'd like to read the thread, it was started on 08/22/2008, and the
subject line was "Fruit Fly Solutions?" That thread brought out this
good webpage:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef621.asp

For us, the bottom line was that we had to clean everything that's left
out and put everything else in the refrigerator. We hung fly paper.
Then you have to wait a few days. They do go away when the source is
gone, but it takes longer than made me comfortable.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 8:04 am, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> wrote:
> > All of the sudden I`ve got a bunch of these damn things, mostly in and
> > around the kitchen sink. I have no idea why, I have NO fruit or produce
> > of any kind even in the house, let alone sitting out. Anyone have any
> > experience with this? Yes, I googled but thought maybe someone here
> > would have some good tips. I read putting wine in a glass and making a
> > trap, but I dont have any wine and I`m not buying it just to catch
> > flies.

> I asked about fruit flies a short while ago. In my case, I could trace
> the infestation to some bananas, but days after the bananas were gone
> and everything in the house had been scrubbed, vacuumed, and put away,
> they lingered. I tried the traps and learned that vinegar attracts the
> flies as well as wine. I also learned that the flies hung out on the
> OUTSIDE of the traps rather than going down the funnel. The best
> solution for me was some vinegar in a jar with old fashioned fly paper
> dangling on top of it.
>
> If you'd like to read the thread, it was started on 08/22/2008, and the
> subject line was "Fruit Fly Solutions?" That thread brought out this
> good webpage: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef621.asp
>
> For us, the bottom line was that we had to clean everything that's left
> out and put everything else in the refrigerator. We hung fly paper.
> Then you have to wait a few days. They do go away when the source is
> gone, but it takes longer than made me comfortable.
>
> --Lia

I've got fruit flies, too, but then, I've got fruit, a covered
container on the counter for compost-destined scraps, often a covered
fruit pie on the table, so no mystery. I put up with them.

The regular flies that come in all summer through the cat-door, are a
different problem, but over now for winter.

Once, though, I had none of those things, but an infestation of tiny
moth-like things. Finally tracked 'em down living in the garlic!
Maybe I should have used the bugs for seasoning.

Bulka

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>> Yes, I am on webtv - please don`t flame me for that. Thank you.

> your post looks normal and well-punctuated, so no one will flame you. this
> seems to be a problem for many web-t.v.'ers.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I never notice anyones originating service as long as it is devoid of
the stupid dancing frogs or other such silly nonsense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ick - still no luck catching flies. I put some orange juice in a glass
last night and covered it tightly on the top with plastic wrap and poked
some holes in it. As mentioned, they seem to be flying around the glass
but not going IN it. I don`t have any windows open in the kitchen, there
is NO food out other than some sealed boxes (crackers, etc) no pet food
out, etc. I had some really old fly paper in a drawer but it seems it be
dried up or something. Guess I`ll have to buy some vinegar - what kind
do I get? The red kind? I never use vinegar so I never buy it. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> All of the sudden I`ve got a bunch of these damn things, mostly in and
> around the kitchen sink. I have no idea why, I have NO fruit or produce
> of any kind even in the house, let alone sitting out. Anyone have any
> experience with this? Yes, I googled but thought maybe someone here
> would have some good tips. I read putting wine in a glass and making a
> trap, but I dont have any wine and I`m not buying it just to catch
> flies.
>
> Yes, I am on webtv - please don`t flame me for that. Thank you.

We always have the same problem at this time of the year. Here's what I
did: Take a bottle with a neck; pour about 1 cup of grape juice (white or
purple) into it. I add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar just to
make it more attractive to the bugs. Add 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid
and swirl the concoction to mix. The soap is essential; it reduces the
surface tension of the liquid so that the bugs sink when they land on it.
There's no need for a paper funnel with this method.

This works like a charm for us.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lorraine64 wrote:

> Ick - still no luck catching flies. I put some orange juice in a glass
> last night and covered it tightly on the top with plastic wrap and poked
> some holes in it. As mentioned, they seem to be flying around the glass
> but not going IN it.

Lorraine, we have a poster here called "cybercat" or more commonly
"cyberpussie". For a few shekels she'd be glad to come over and stand
around and so attract yer fruit flies - or in fact any other vermin - into
her "privates" aka "The Bat Cave" or "The Honey Pot" or "Venus Craw"...in
fact this is how she is making her Christmas gift money.

:-)

HTH

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow, thanks for all the nice replies and good suggestions, everyone!
(sorry for not replying to each individually, but quoting is rather a
pain in the butt to do with this webtv). I am having a little bit of
success, I caught 2 with the orange juice thing. Tomorrow I wll get the
vinegar and the foaming drain cleanser. Last night in the middle of the
night I went down there and there was slew of them milling around a
kitchen sponge so I threw that away outside.

Bugs really, really freak me out so am pretty anxious to get rid of
them.

Thanks again, and now I am not so afraid to post in this group. I`m not
that great of a cook but I do enjoy reading the group and have found it
helpful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 10:03*am, wrote:
> Ick - still no luck catching flies. I put some orange juice in a glass
> last night and covered it tightly on the top with plastic wrap and poked
> some holes in it. As mentioned, they seem to be flying around the glass
> but not going IN it. I don`t have any windows open in the kitchen, there
> is NO food out other than some sealed boxes (crackers, etc) no pet food
> out, etc. I had some really old fly paper in a drawer but it seems it be
> dried up or something. Guess I`ll have to buy some vinegar - what kind
> do I get? The red kind? I never use vinegar so I never buy it. .

Try adding some sugar & yeast to your O.J....

New use for my @#$%^ Misto. ( fruit flies) Kalmia General Cooking 33 17-08-2013 01:52 AM
D*MN Fruit Flies!!!!! Sky General Cooking 17 29-06-2009 07:52 PM
Fat Fruit Flies Becca General Cooking 4 07-09-2007 03:02 PM
Well, it is only fruit flies JimLane General Cooking 0 31-05-2005 11:38 PM
fruit flies greg boyd Winemaking 5 30-04-2004 09:02 PM