What goes well with canned corned beef hash?

Old 15-10-2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What goes well with canned corned beef hash?

Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Ken

Old 15-10-2008, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Ken

Which version of "goes well" are you looking for? Since it has starch
and protein if you were looking for balance then a dish of green beans
or stewed tomatoes or a green salad would work well. If you want
something else the classic is to crack an egg on top and let it cook.
Old 15-10-2008, 02:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Eggs with hash is traditional. Naturally you can have whatever but
hash by definition is a single dish meal... all it really needs is a
beverage... a hash sandwich doesn't seem too appetizing but hey...
some folks call hashish hash.

hash
n. A dish of finely chopped meat (roast beef and corned beef are the
most common), potatoes and seasonings, usually fried together until
lightly browned. Other chopped vegetables, such as green pepper,
celery and onion, can also be added. Hash is sometimes served with
gravy or sauce.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
Old 15-10-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Ken

Mix with a little chile sauce then placed on an english muffin along
with a slice of american cheese and bake in oven.
Old 15-10-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Poverty??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Old 15-10-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Oct 2008 13:15:06 GMT, Ken wrote:

Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Sauerkraut and melted swiss cheese.

Old 15-10-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Oct 15, 6:15*am, Ken wrote:
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Corned beef. Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
buy a can of corned beef. Mix them together and you have a start. A
bottle of Louisiana hot sauce on the table is essential as well. For
breakfast, fried or poached or steamed on top of the hash eggs. For
an emergency late night snack, canned peaches on the side. -aem
Old 15-10-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" wrote in message
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

I cook the canned hash as a big patty, then when I have flipped it I press
it down a bit to sort of make a bowl shape and drop in a couple of eggs,
then cover and let steam. I serve it with a little ketchup or in my
pre-diabetes days I would make biscuits and gravy. Which is probably how I
became diabetic so just stick with the eggs and maybe some fruit..

Paul

Old 15-10-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 6:15 am, Ken wrote:
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Corned beef. Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
buy a can of corned beef. Mix them together and you have a start. A
bottle of Louisiana hot sauce on the table is essential as well. For
breakfast, fried or poached or steamed on top of the hash eggs. For
an emergency late night snack, canned peaches on the side. -aem

---

Oh yes, hot sauce. Srirachi is the best.

Paul

Old 15-10-2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:

Poverty??

Actually canned hash ain't so cheap, especially not when considering
that the typical hungry adult can easily scoff down two cans. And a
fine home made corned beef hash is quite expensive and ranks high on
the list of gourmet dishes. Whenever I bother to cook corned beef I
make a good amount extra just for hash... corned beef shrinkage is
terrific... after cooking and trimming excessive fat it's lucky to
have a third of green weight. I estimate an average serving ends up
costing like $8, and it's so good I can eat seconds and even thirds,
as can most with an appetite. No matter how large a panful I prepare
it's never sufficient... in fact it's difficult to hash up the beef
without consuming a generous share.

Better than $3.50/15 oz can:
http://www.amazon.com/Libbys-Corned-...4085726&sr=8-1

Old 15-10-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" wrote in message
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Ken

1. Open both ends of the can and push out the hash
2. With a sharp knife Slice the hash into 4 to 6 round slices.
3. Brown the slices in hot fat until well browned on both sides.
4. While the hash is browning poach 2 or 3 eggs.
5. Serve the poached eggs on top of the hash slices.
6 Rye toast with a little jelly and a glass of OJ is optional.

Dimitri

Old 15-10-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Eggs are traditional. I made some hash last Sunday
with some ham and a leftover potato and a small pepper
that my wife found in the garden. Fried that up and
then cooked a couple of eggs sunny-side-up on the side.
Nice breakfast, though I think traditionally you are
supposed to cook the egg on top of the hash.

I can't imagine a sandwich. When I was a kid my
mother used to make stuffed peppers with canned
corned beef hash. Just cut the tops off of big
green peppers and filled them with hash and baked
for a while. It was never my favorite, but most
in my family seemed to like it.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Old 15-10-2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:37:43 -0700, "Dimitri"
wrote:

1. Open both ends of the can and push out the hash
2. With a sharp knife Slice the hash into 4 to 6 round slices.
3. Brown the slices in hot fat until well browned on both sides.

This is how I like to prepare the corned beef hash, too. I have also
browned the circles of corned beef hash on my George Foreman grill.

Serve it with eggs and some sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit.

Tara
Old 16-10-2008, 03:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Oct 2008 13:15:06 GMT, Ken wrote:

Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Ken

M-m-m-m-m-m canned corned beef hash. Every now and then the local Kroger has them 10
for $10. Next time I'm gonna get 'bout 40 of them. Fried up crunchy on the outside
with over medium eggs is my fave breakfast, hell it's good for lunch and dinner too.

Old 16-10-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

There were four of us in my family so on Saturday mornings I'd pile
canned corned beef into a loaf pan, make a half dozen or so of nests in
it with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each one. These were
baked at 350 until the eggs were set.

On Sundays, our dad would make bacon or sausage and gravy with biscuits
and eggs - the only meal of the week he would cook. I miss my dad's
biscuits and gravy.

Last weekend we were at a tournament in Memphis and ate breakfast at
Perkins. My daughter ordered some sort of enormous combo that included
eggs, which she ordered "over easy", with A-1 sauce and ketchup on the side.

Made my eyes sting, because she never learned that from me - that was
straight from her grandpa.