Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What goes well with canned corned beef hash?

Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
> Ken

Which version of "goes well" are you looking for? Since it has starch
and protein if you were looking for balance then a dish of green beans
or stewed tomatoes or a green salad would work well. If you want
something else the classic is to crack an egg on top and let it cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Eggs with hash is traditional. Naturally you can have whatever but
hash by definition is a single dish meal... all it really needs is a
beverage... a hash sandwich doesn't seem too appetizing but hey...
some folks call hashish hash.

hash
n. A dish of finely chopped meat (roast beef and corned beef are the
most common), potatoes and seasonings, usually fried together until
lightly browned. Other chopped vegetables, such as green pepper,
celery and onion, can also be added. Hash is sometimes served with
gravy or sauce.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
> Ken

Mix with a little chile sauce then placed on an english muffin along
with a slice of american cheese and bake in oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Poverty??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Oct 2008 13:15:06 GMT, Ken > wrote:

>Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Sauerkraut and melted swiss cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 15, 6:15*am, Ken > wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Corned beef. Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
buy a can of corned beef. Mix them together and you have a start. A
bottle of Louisiana hot sauce on the table is essential as well. For
breakfast, fried or poached or steamed on top of the hash eggs. For
an emergency late night snack, canned peaches on the side. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

I cook the canned hash as a big patty, then when I have flipped it I press
it down a bit to sort of make a bowl shape and drop in a couple of eggs,
then cover and let steam. I serve it with a little ketchup or in my
pre-diabetes days I would make biscuits and gravy. Which is probably how I
became diabetic so just stick with the eggs and maybe some fruit..

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Oct 15, 6:15 am, Ken > wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Corned beef. Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
buy a can of corned beef. Mix them together and you have a start. A
bottle of Louisiana hot sauce on the table is essential as well. For
breakfast, fried or poached or steamed on top of the hash eggs. For
an emergency late night snack, canned peaches on the side. -aem

---

Oh yes, hot sauce. Srirachi is the best.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:

> Poverty??

Actually canned hash ain't so cheap, especially not when considering
that the typical hungry adult can easily scoff down two cans. And a
fine home made corned beef hash is quite expensive and ranks high on
the list of gourmet dishes. Whenever I bother to cook corned beef I
make a good amount extra just for hash... corned beef shrinkage is
terrific... after cooking and trimming excessive fat it's lucky to
have a third of green weight. I estimate an average serving ends up
costing like $8, and it's so good I can eat seconds and even thirds,
as can most with an appetite. No matter how large a panful I prepare
it's never sufficient... in fact it's difficult to hash up the beef
without consuming a generous share.

Better than $3.50/15 oz can:
http://www.amazon.com/Libbys-Corned-...4085726&sr=8-1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
> Ken

1. Open both ends of the can and push out the hash
2. With a sharp knife Slice the hash into 4 to 6 round slices.
3. Brown the slices in hot fat until well browned on both sides.
4. While the hash is browning poach 2 or 3 eggs.
5. Serve the poached eggs on top of the hash slices.
6 Rye toast with a little jelly and a glass of OJ is optional.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken > wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

Eggs are traditional. I made some hash last Sunday
with some ham and a leftover potato and a small pepper
that my wife found in the garden. Fried that up and
then cooked a couple of eggs sunny-side-up on the side.
Nice breakfast, though I think traditionally you are
supposed to cook the egg on top of the hash.

I can't imagine a sandwich. When I was a kid my
mother used to make stuffed peppers with canned
corned beef hash. Just cut the tops off of big
green peppers and filled them with hash and baked
for a while. It was never my favorite, but most
in my family seemed to like it.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:37:43 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>1. Open both ends of the can and push out the hash
>2. With a sharp knife Slice the hash into 4 to 6 round slices.
>3. Brown the slices in hot fat until well browned on both sides.

This is how I like to prepare the corned beef hash, too. I have also
browned the circles of corned beef hash on my George Foreman grill.

Serve it with eggs and some sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Oct 2008 13:15:06 GMT, Ken > wrote:

>Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
>Ken

M-m-m-m-m-m canned corned beef hash. Every now and then the local Kroger has them 10
for $10. Next time I'm gonna get 'bout 40 of them. Fried up crunchy on the outside
with over medium eggs is my fave breakfast, hell it's good for lunch and dinner too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?

There were four of us in my family so on Saturday mornings I'd pile
canned corned beef into a loaf pan, make a half dozen or so of nests in
it with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each one. These were
baked at 350 until the eggs were set.

On Sundays, our dad would make bacon or sausage and gravy with biscuits
and eggs - the only meal of the week he would cook. I miss my dad's
biscuits and gravy.

Last weekend we were at a tournament in Memphis and ate breakfast at
Perkins. My daughter ordered some sort of enormous combo that included
eggs, which she ordered "over easy", with A-1 sauce and ketchup on the side.

Made my eyes sting, because she never learned that from me - that was
straight from her grandpa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen said...

> Last weekend we were at a tournament in Memphis and ate breakfast at
> Perkins.

Eating at a Perkins in Memphis sounds like eating Italian at an Olive Garden
in Philly or eating at a Red Lobster in Maine!

ICK!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Corned beef. Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
> buy a can of corned beef.

Corned beef comes in cans?

Ouch. The stuff is so nasty mixed with potatoes that I can't even
imagine what canned corned beef would taste like.

Corned beef should be bought from the deli or the butcher counter - not
in a can. It's also very inexpensive and easy to make yourself.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Kathleen said...
>

>>Last weekend we were at a tournament in Memphis and ate breakfast at
>>Perkins.

> Eating at a Perkins in Memphis sounds like eating Italian at an Olive Garden
> in Philly or eating at a Red Lobster in Maine!
>
> ICK!!!
>
> Andy

We was there to run the dogginz at the U-FLI Championship held at the
Showcase of Dogs, benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Flyball, Herding, Agility, Rally, Obedience, Conformation, Earthdog, you
name it, they had it. Tons of vendors, too.

4 humans and 4 dogs sharing a van and a motel room.

We came, we saw, we kicked some ass.

Breakfast was incidental.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 16, 10:23*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > Corned beef. *Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
> > buy a can of corned beef.

> Corned beef comes in cans?
>
> Ouch. *The stuff is so nasty mixed with potatoes that I can't even
> imagine what canned corned beef would taste like.

Yes it is. Note the disclaimer: "anytime you buy..." I don't
recommend buying either, but if you buy the hash then it will be
improved by adding more corned beef. Part of the reason the hash is
nasty is that canned potatoes are nasty.

> Corned beef should be bought from the deli or the butcher counter - not
> in a can. *It's also very inexpensive and easy to make yourself.

Yes, if the deli or butcher is good. Best is homemade, though it is
not the most inexpensive thing around. Your nemesis Sheldon has given
rfc a very good way to make corned beef. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:23:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>aem wrote:
>
>> Corned beef. Anytime you buy canned corned beef hash you should also
>> buy a can of corned beef.

>Corned beef comes in cans?

Hormel sells it. A product of Brazil and Argentina. It smells like
dog food until you cook it.

>Ouch. The stuff is so nasty mixed with potatoes that I can't even
>imagine what canned corned beef would taste like.
>
>Corned beef should be bought from the deli or the butcher counter - not
>in a can. It's also very inexpensive and easy to make yourself.

Its not as bad as you might think, but certainly not great food. It's
good to have in the cabinet to make hash and eggs after a night of
drinking.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 11:04:50 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
> Kathleen said...
>
> > Last weekend we were at a tournament in Memphis and ate breakfast at
> > Perkins.

> Eating at a Perkins in Memphis sounds like eating Italian at an Olive Garden
> in Philly or eating at a Red Lobster in Maine!
>
> ICK!!!
>
> Andy

jerk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 8:15:06 AM UTC-5, Ken wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
> Ken
>

> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Love mine with a side of French toast. That salty with sweet syrup hits all the right tastebuds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-4, Ken wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
> Ken
>

> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-4, Ken wrote:
> Maybe fried eggs? Make a sandwich?
>
> Ken
>

> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Posted to rec.food.cooking