Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Default KFC 9.99 bucket

How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your
chicken for better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.

We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the
name of saving time and a few cents.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"larry" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> James wrote:
>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket prices?

> Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your chicken for
> better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.
>
> We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the name of saving
> time and a few cents.
>
> -- larry/dallas

Home fried chicken once in a while is my friend. I don't understand how OP
expects anyone to know how much that bucket weighs, let alone how much it
weighed before cooking. I am positive the information isn't on the package.
I wouldn't even know which pieces were in it, so if I copy it, do I cook the
wings and back or not?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

Cost is about the same as if you compared it to the chicken dinner at a nice
restaurant for $19 a plate. What is the point? You pay for convenience.
Whole chicken is 99¢ a pound regularly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

[cross-posting snipped]

About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and breading/batter
for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste good.

Jill

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message
>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> Cost is about the same as if you compared it to the chicken dinner at
> a nice restaurant for $19 a plate. What is the point? You pay for
> convenience. Whole chicken is 99¢ a pound regularly.

You must admit 99 cents a pound sounds rather deceptive since I've never
actually seen a 1 lb. chicken for sale Okay, cornish hens weigh a pound
or so but they aren't nearly as inexpensive as a whole chicken, poundage
wise. Publix has chicken leg quarters on sale for 59 cents/lb right now.
That's the cheapest I've seen them in a long time.

Jill

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> You must admit 99 cents a pound sounds rather deceptive since I've
> never actually seen a 1 lb. chicken for sale Okay, cornish hens
> weigh a pound or so but they aren't nearly as inexpensive as a whole
> chicken, poundage wise. Publix has chicken leg quarters on sale for
> 59 cents/lb right now. That's the cheapest I've seen them in a long
> time.

That would totally work for me, those are my picks from the
KFC bucket of chicken. Not that I've had a bucket since I was
in my early 20s. I could do real damage to a bucket of fried
chicken in those days. That was before they messed with the
brand.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> James wrote:
>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> [cross-posting snipped]
>
> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and
> breading/batter for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste
> good.
> Jill

$4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken - not cut
up, which is fine. Allan's great at (this sounds bad!) whacking up a
chicken to fry. :~) I get squeamish. I can't do it.

We usually just cut up the chicken, put it in cornmeal mix with garlic and
pepper, shake, and fry. Still WAY cheaper than KFC and cheaper than the
grocery store deli fried chicken, too.

And, yep, Jill, KFC doesn't even taste good.

kili

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> You must admit 99 cents a pound sounds rather deceptive since I've
>> never actually seen a 1 lb. chicken for sale Okay, cornish hens
>> weigh a pound or so but they aren't nearly as inexpensive as a whole
>> chicken, poundage wise. Publix has chicken leg quarters on sale for
>> 59 cents/lb right now. That's the cheapest I've seen them in a long
>> time.

> That would totally work for me, those are my picks from the
> KFC bucket of chicken. Not that I've had a bucket since I was
> in my early 20s. I could do real damage to a bucket of fried
> chicken in those days. That was before they messed with the
> brand.
>
> nancy

I had a friend whose boyfriend was a manager at a KFC. He said they don't
even use 11 herbs and spices. I'm trying to remember, here, um, he said
powdered milk (or buttermilk), oil, powdered egg, garlic, water, salt &
pepper. That was it. Big secret, huh?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

>> [cross-posting snipped]
>>
>> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and
>> breading/batter for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste
>> good.

> $4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken -
> not cut up, which is fine. Allan's great at (this sounds bad!)
> whacking up a chicken to fry. :~) I get squeamish. I can't do it.

I was erring on the side of conservative pricing. It's been a while since I
bought a whole chicken. I did buy a cut up chicken when I made chicken &
dumplings a month or so ago; it was $5 and change. Oh, and Mom had us pick
up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store for dinner back in June; that
was only $5.

> And, yep, Jill, KFC doesn't even taste good.

It's been years since I bought KFC. That little store back home makes
better fried chicken than they do

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

>> [cross-posting snipped]
>>
>> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and
>> breading/batter for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste
>> good.
>> Jill

>$4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken - not cut
>up, which is fine. Allan's great at (this sounds bad!) whacking up a
>chicken to fry. :~) I get squeamish. I can't do it.
>
>We usually just cut up the chicken, put it in cornmeal mix with garlic and
>pepper, shake, and fry. Still WAY cheaper than KFC and cheaper than the
>grocery store deli fried chicken, too.
>
>And, yep, Jill, KFC doesn't even taste good.

The cheapest you usually see whole chicken here is a buck a pound. I
usually make fried chicken tenders instead because Albertsons sells
them for a buck fifty to two dollars (breasts are the same price but I
like tenders better because you don't have to mess with them). When DH
craves fried chicken I go and buy a pound, crumb them up with panko
crumbs, and make some with no icky salt or msg to spoil it.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 2:47*am, larry > wrote:
> James wrote:
> > How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> > prices? *At sale prices? *Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> > other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your
> chicken for better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.

That's not the question being asked.

> We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the
> name of saving time and a few cents.

Yes, we know.

Some of us also like KFC every now and then and do not need preached
to everytime a question about fast food is brought up.

Would you like to be told about veganism or the cruelty of poultry
processing plants every time you mention roasting chicken? How buying
chicken supports illegal aliens working in the plants? Probably not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>>

> The cheapest you usually see whole chicken here is a buck a pound. I
> usually make fried chicken tenders instead because Albertsons sells
> them for a buck fifty to two dollars (breasts are the same price but I
> like tenders better because you don't have to mess with them). When DH
> craves fried chicken I go and buy a pound, crumb them up with panko
> crumbs, and make some with no icky salt or msg to spoil it.

I've never tried to fry chicken with panko, yet, and unfortunately I'm all
out of it. Sometime this next week if the hubby gets a day off, I want to
take the trek to Tampa and restock my Asian items. (I need a *lot* of
stuff, too.) Anyway, I would love chicken fried in panko rather than the
cornmeal we usually use! Typically I only Panko on fish. Chicken would be
a nice change and I have chicken breasts in the freezer, too. Maybe I can
think of a good stuffed chicken breast idea with a crispy panko crust.
Hmmmmmm.

(Can you hear the wheels turning?)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:
>>>

> Typically I only Panko on fish.
>
> kili

When did "Panko" become a verb? <G>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

>> [cross-posting snipped]
>>
>> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and
>> breading/batter for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste
>> good.
>> Jill

>$4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken - not cut
>up, which is fine.

How big is the chicken? According to Tyson a broiler-fryer is between
3 1/2 - 4 pounds. A roaster is 5-8 pounds. I looked at the current
flyers and I see Perdue roasters for .89 a pound. Another place has
leg quarters for .69 and bone in breasts for .79 a pound.

I also see New york strips for 4.99 at a few different places. You
guys really pay a lot for food down there compared to the midwest.

Lou

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 5:16*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "James" > wrote in message
> >> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> >> prices? *At sale prices? *Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> >> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> > Cost is about the same as if you compared it to the chicken dinner at
> > a nice restaurant for $19 a plate. *What is the point? You pay for
> > convenience. Whole chicken is 99¢ a pound regularly.

> You must admit 99 cents a pound sounds rather deceptive since I've never
> actually seen a 1 lb. chicken for sale *Okay, cornish hens weigh a pound
> or so but they aren't nearly as inexpensive as a whole chicken, poundage
> wise. *Publix has chicken leg quarters on sale for 59 cents/lb right now.
> That's the cheapest I've seen them in a long time.
>
> Jill

you do realize its painful reading someone unable to fathom what
'cents a pound' means... its a rate Jill, not
a limitation even with the gramatical flaws.

if a person works for '10 dollars a hour' (bad grammar not
withstanding) few would then try to claim that he only works one
hour... its a pay *rate. not a limitation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> [cross-posting snipped]
>>>
>>> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and
>>> breading/batter for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even
>>> taste good.
>>> Jill

>> $4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken -
>> not cut up, which is fine.

> How big is the chicken? According to Tyson a broiler-fryer is between
> 3 1/2 - 4 pounds. A roaster is 5-8 pounds. I looked at the current
> flyers and I see Perdue roasters for .89 a pound. Another place has
> leg quarters for .69 and bone in breasts for .79 a pound.
>
> I also see New york strips for 4.99 at a few different places. You
> guys really pay a lot for food down there compared to the midwest.
>
> Lou

I can't answer for kili but NY strips here (I'm looking at the grocery store
sale ad) are going for $7.99/lb. The last time I bought a whole cut up
chicken it was about $5. Chicken leg quarters are going for 59 cents/lb at
Publix right now.

I'm thawing boneless skinless thighs to cook for dinner tonight. One week I
got them for $3.59/lb. Two weeks later they were $2.19/lb.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> $4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken - not cut
> up, which is fine.

I got a Tyson roaster for 99 cents a pound yesterday and roasted it up and
put it in a pot with broth and vegetables and rice. Mmmm.
It was 7.5 lbs. (I saved half the breast for sandwiches.

> We usually just cut up the chicken, put it in cornmeal mix with garlic and
> pepper, shake, and fry. Still WAY cheaper than KFC and cheaper than the
> grocery store deli fried chicken, too.

This sounds good. Do you deep fry it?

> And, yep, Jill, KFC doesn't even taste good.

It's just way too greasy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 8:50*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
>

> > wrote:
> >jmcquown wrote:

> >> [cross-posting snipped]

> >> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. *Pennies for the oil and
> >> breading/batter for frying. *KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste
> >> good.
> >> Jill

> >$4? *Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken - not cut
> >up, which is fine. *

> How big is the chicken? *According to Tyson a broiler-fryer is between
> 3 1/2 - 4 pounds. *A roaster is 5-8 pounds. *I looked at the current
> flyers and I see Perdue roasters for .89 a pound. *Another place has
> leg quarters for .69 and bone in breasts for .79 a pound. *
>
> I also see New york strips for 4.99 at a few different places. *You
> guys really pay a lot for food down there compared to the midwest.
>
> Lou- Hide quoted text -

Albertson's has whole fryers on sale this week for .69 a pound. I'll
buy 3-4 of them and throw them in the freezer as we seem to use one a
week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>>> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
>>>>

>> Typically I only Panko on fish.
>>
>> kili

> When did "Panko" become a verb? <G>
>
> Jill

Oh you silly willy! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

larry wrote:

> James wrote:
> > How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> > prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> > other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your
> chicken for better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.
>
> We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the
> name of saving time and a few cents.
>
> -- larry/dallas

You do realize that KFC chicken is not a highly processed food don't
you? It's seasoned and breaded pressure fried chicken. The only real
difference between KFC and home fried chicken is the expensive pressure
fryer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:

>>> $4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken -
>>> not cut up, which is fine.

>> How big is the chicken? According to Tyson a broiler-fryer is
>> between 3 1/2 - 4 pounds. A roaster is 5-8 pounds. I looked at the
>> current flyers and I see Perdue roasters for .89 a pound. Another
>> place has leg quarters for .69 and bone in breasts for .79 a pound.
>>
>> I also see New york strips for 4.99 at a few different places. You
>> guys really pay a lot for food down there compared to the midwest.
>>
>> Lou

> I can't answer for kili but NY strips here (I'm looking at the
> grocery store sale ad) are going for $7.99/lb. The last time I
> bought a whole cut up chicken it was about $5. Chicken leg quarters
> are going for 59 cents/lb at Publix right now.
>
> I'm thawing boneless skinless thighs to cook for dinner tonight. One
> week I got them for $3.59/lb. Two weeks later they were $2.19/lb.
>
> Jill

I just looked at the circular for Publix and I saw the chicken leg quarters
price! I think we'll pick some up this weekend. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote
>>
>> $4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken -
>> not cut up, which is fine.

> I got a Tyson roaster for 99 cents a pound yesterday and roasted it
> up and put it in a pot with broth and vegetables and rice. Mmmm.
> It was 7.5 lbs. (I saved half the breast for sandwiches.
>

>> We usually just cut up the chicken, put it in cornmeal mix with
>> garlic and pepper, shake, and fry. Still WAY cheaper than KFC and
>> cheaper than the grocery store deli fried chicken, too.

> This sounds good. Do you deep fry it?
>>
>> And, yep, Jill, KFC doesn't even taste good.
>>

> It's just way too greasy.

We have a deep fryer, but when we fry chicken we usually just use a skillet
and a little oil.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>>>>
>>> Typically I only Panko on fish.
>>>
>>> kili

>> When did "Panko" become a verb? <G>
>>
>> Jill

> Oh you silly willy! :~)
>
> kili

LOLOL Well hey, my brother told me Webster's added EVOO to the dictionary.
And Google has been a verb for a while now

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote
> We have a deep fryer, but when we fry chicken we usually just use a
> skillet and a little oil.

See, I have a deep fryer too, and the waste of the oil always killed me.

I guess I should not learn to make fried chicken in a little oil in a
skillet, because at this particular time the doctor says my husband needs to
get away from fried foods. Fooey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> larry wrote:
>>
>> James wrote:
>> > How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>> > prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>> > other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

>> Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your
>> chicken for better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.
>>
>> We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the
>> name of saving time and a few cents.
>>
>> -- larry/dallas

> You do realize that KFC chicken is not a highly processed food don't
> you? It's seasoned and breaded pressure fried chicken. The only real
> difference between KFC and home fried chicken is the expensive pressure
> fryer.

It is nevertheless full of salt and dripping with fat. Ick.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Siskuwihane wrote:

>On Oct 9, 2:47 am, larry > wrote:
>

>>James wrote:
>>

>>>How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>>>prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>>>other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.
>>>

>>Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your
>>chicken for better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.
>>

>That's not the question being asked.
>

>>We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the
>>name of saving time and a few cents.
>>

>Yes, we know.
>
>Some of us also like KFC every now and then and do not need preached
>to everytime a question about fast food is brought up.
>
>Would you like to be told about veganism or the cruelty of poultry
>processing plants every time you mention roasting chicken? How buying
>chicken supports illegal aliens working in the plants? Probably not.

KFC quality is so erratic, it's a rarity that I'd consider them. For a
while, Popeyes was a preferred source, but their quality seems to have
slipped in recent years.

Perhaps that's best as I rarely consider fried chicken any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > larry wrote:

> >> Healthwise, you would do much better to bake or roast your
> >> chicken for better flavor, reduced fat and carbs.
> >>
> >> We pay a high price for our highly processed food in the
> >> name of saving time and a few cents.
> >>
> >> -- larry/dallas

> > You do realize that KFC chicken is not a highly processed food don't
> > you? It's seasoned and breaded pressure fried chicken. The only real
> > difference between KFC and home fried chicken is the expensive pressure
> > fryer.

> It is nevertheless full of salt and dripping with fat. Ick.

Yes, but no more so than home fried chicken. It certainly in no way
compares to the typical frozen dinner which *is* highly processed.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 11:54 pm, James > wrote:
> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

It's bound to be cheaper to cook at home. No profit margin for KFC or
whomever. I never liked their chicken anyway - I think they used
skinny chicken. Seemed no like meat and a lot of coating. One more
fast food ripoff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> On Oct 8, 11:54 pm, James > wrote:
>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> It's bound to be cheaper to cook at home. No profit margin for KFC or
> whomever. I never liked their chicken anyway - I think they used
> skinny chicken. Seemed no like meat and a lot of coating. One more
> fast food ripoff.

Fast food ripoffs seem to be what the folks in misc.frugal whatever thrive
on. That and Corey's cross-posts from the UK ng about Burger King!

Jill

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
> prices? At sale prices?

I didn't know raw chicken comes in buckets.

Maybe you should tell us how much the raw chicken weighs.
or send us all a free bucket of chicken.

You're probably the only on here who knows WTF you're talking about.

-sw
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

About the only advantage of KFC is convenience. If you really like the
taste of KFC, experiement with different herb and spice mixtures and come up
with your own "special ingredients.'

There is the time needed to prepare and cook involved. If you don't have
the time - and have the money - and aren't worried about the fat and grease
and salt - go for KFC.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

I'll just assume no one who answered ever fried enough chicken to know
how much it would cost them to make the equivalent amount of KFC
chicken. Guess those of you who cook never compared compared the cost.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> On Oct 8, 11:54 pm, James > wrote:
>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

> It's bound to be cheaper to cook at home. No profit margin for KFC or
> whomever. I never liked their chicken anyway - I think they used
> skinny chicken. Seemed no like meat and a lot of coating. One more
> fast food ripoff.

Have you run the numbers?

My opinion is, a $5 footlong at Subway, or certainly $1 burger at
Wendy's, is less than the ingredients would cost you. Especially if
you're realistic and factor in the waste of buying specialized
ingredients for home cooking (you end up throwing out half a jar, etc).

Growing up we rarely ate out and it was ingrained in me that it is a
luxury. But when you can go to Wendy's and get a little cheeseburger, a
baked potato, and a side salad for $3, it's just not true. It's getting
harder to find all these items on the dollar menu, but inflation at the
grocery store is significant also.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

KFC seems pretty expensive. I get ready made fried chicken in Publix deli
or other grocery stores; I think it's a whole chicken for around $7. Seemed
KFC charges double ... but I never compared exactly.
ares

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote
>> We have a deep fryer, but when we fry chicken we usually just use a
>> skillet and a little oil.
>>

> See, I have a deep fryer too, and the waste of the oil always killed
> me.
> I guess I should not learn to make fried chicken in a little oil in a
> skillet, because at this particular time the doctor says my husband
> needs to get away from fried foods. Fooey.

It *is* the waste of oil that kills us, too! Fried chicken works in a
skillet, though. It really does. You've just got to go lower heat so it
cooks more evenly. Be patient and be prepared to stand up in front of the
stove for quite a bit. A glass of wine helps. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:11:16 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"

>> How big is the chicken? According to Tyson a broiler-fryer is between
>> 3 1/2 - 4 pounds. A roaster is 5-8 pounds. I looked at the current
>> flyers and I see Perdue roasters for .89 a pound. Another place has
>> leg quarters for .69 and bone in breasts for .79 a pound.
>>
>> I also see New york strips for 4.99 at a few different places. You
>> guys really pay a lot for food down there compared to the midwest.
>>
>> Lou

>I can't answer for kili but NY strips here (I'm looking at the grocery store
>sale ad) are going for $7.99/lb. The last time I bought a whole cut up
>chicken it was about $5. Chicken leg quarters are going for 59 cents/lb at
>Publix right now.

>I'm thawing boneless skinless thighs to cook for dinner tonight. One week I
>got them for $3.59/lb. Two weeks later they were $2.19/lb.
>
>Jill

Meat prices around here seem to jump around like crazy. Pork sirloin
cutlets are advertised for $1.99 this week but 2 weeks ago we got
about 12 pounds for $.98 a pound. Luckily we both love pork.

Lou

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> I'll just assume no one who answered ever fried enough chicken to know
> how much it would cost them to make the equivalent amount of KFC
> chicken. Guess those of you who cook never compared compared the
> cost.

Okay, I'll bite. We can get a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters for
about $5 at "the dreaded meat store". Cut up the quarters (free). Cornmeal
mix is $1.39 for an entire bag, which only a fraction is used. Garlic, salt
& pepper is negligible. Oil? I'd say $1's worth.

Since there is only two of us and I don't usually eat chicken anyway, we
obviously don't use up the whole 10 pounds of chicken.

I'd say homemade fried chicken is cheaper (and better!) than KFC.

kili

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

ares wrote:
> KFC seems pretty expensive. I get ready made fried chicken in Publix
> deli or other grocery stores; I think it's a whole chicken for around
> $7. Seemed KFC charges double ... but I never compared exactly.
> ares

Publix fried chicken tastes better, too.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:30:41 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Oct 9, 8:50*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"

>> How big is the chicken? *According to Tyson a broiler-fryer is between
>> 3 1/2 - 4 pounds. *A roaster is 5-8 pounds. *I looked at the current
>> flyers and I see Perdue roasters for .89 a pound. *Another place has
>> leg quarters for .69 and bone in breasts for .79 a pound. *
>>
>> I also see New york strips for 4.99 at a few different places. *You
>> guys really pay a lot for food down there compared to the midwest.
>>
>> Lou- Hide quoted text -

>Albertson's has whole fryers on sale this week for .69 a pound. I'll
>buy 3-4 of them and throw them in the freezer as we seem to use one a
>week.

I usually go for the leg quarters because I like dark meat. But I do
like whole fryers for soup.

My favorite:

chinese chicken noodle soup with spinach and garlic chives Gourmet |
February 1997

In Chinese culture, noodles symbolize longevity and are often served
at New Year celebrations and traditionally left very long.

Makes about 8 cups.
ingredients
a 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken
8 thin slices fresh gingerroot
1 bunch scallions, cut crosswise into thirds
10 cups water
3/4 cup Chinese rice wine or medium-dry Sherry
2 ounces dried rice-stick noodles (rice vermicelli)
1/2 pound fresh spinach, coarse stems discarded and leaves washed,
drained, and chopped coarse (about 4 packed cups)
3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh garlic chives or regular fresh chives

preparation

With a cleaver or heavy chef's knife cut chicken into large pieces.
Cut chicken through bones into 2-inch pieces. In a large kettle of
boiling water blanch chicken 1 minute. In a colander drain chicken and
rinse under cold water.

With flat side of cleaver or knife lightly smash gingerroot and
scallions. In cleaned kettle bring 10 cups water to a boil with
chicken, gingerroot, scallions, rice wine or Sherry and simmer,
uncovered, skimming froth occasionally, 2 hours. Pour broth through
colander lined with triple thickness of cheesecloth into a large
heatproof bowl, reserving chicken for another use. Broth may be made 3
days ahead, cooled completely, uncovered, and chilled, covered.

In cleaned kettle bring broth to a boil. Add noodles and boil,
stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in spinach and simmer, stirring
once or twice, until spinach turns bright green and is just tender,
about 3 minutes. Stir in chives and salt and pepper to taste and
simmer 1 minute.

Ice Bucket [email protected] General Cooking 0 24-04-2008 12:29 PM
Ice Bucket [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 24-04-2008 12:29 PM
Chicken Bucket Dig General Cooking 12 16-08-2004 01:12 AM
This bitch wants to take away my bucket of KFC! Steve Chaney, aka Papa Gunnykins ® Vegan 6 19-10-2003 04:29 PM