Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food to hoard

Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

Beans. They provide fuel also. Couple of bean meals and the methane will
keep the oven going long enough to make a roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gill Smith" > wrote:

> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

Canned and dried.

Stock up on firewood too and learn to cook outdoors. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > hoarding?
> >

> Beans. They provide fuel also. Couple of bean meals and the methane will
> keep the oven going long enough to make a roast.

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith "wrote:

> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what
> foods should we start hoarding?

SPAM!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

. ..

> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>> hoarding?

>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.

Yes! And onions and other root foods in a dark basement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>>> hoarding?

>>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>> Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.
>>

> Yes! And onions and other root foods in a dark basement.

Those would have been on my grandparents' list many years ago -- they lived
in Ohio, old frame house with dark root cellar. Definitely would not work
for me -- one-story house on a concrete slab in hot climate (East Texas).
(

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play with my
food.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gill Smith wrote:

> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

Diamond Adult Premium Dog Food. Flyball dogs give it three paws up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play with my
> food.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

MREs aren't cheap! I don't buy them but have seen the cost for the
civilian version. But they sure do serve a useful purpose. I have to eat
them when deployed at times, and the jalapeno cheese spread eaten right
out of the packet is the bomb! I'm impressed with the spiciness of them
these days. I do lean towards the vegetarian meals, but MRE Etiquette
decrees that you just grab one out of the communal box and take your
chances.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
>> I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play
>> with my food.
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> MREs aren't cheap! I don't buy them but have seen the cost for the
> civilian version. But they sure do serve a useful purpose. I have to
> eat them when deployed at times, and the jalapeno cheese spread eaten
> right out of the packet is the bomb! I'm impressed with the spiciness
> of them these days. I do lean towards the vegetarian meals, but MRE
> Etiquette decrees that you just grab one out of the communal box and
> take your chances.

You're in the military? I thought it was your husband who was enlisted.
Not that it matters

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gill Smith" > wrote:

> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

I was just outside a little while ago, and saw no sign of the sky
falling. People may not have money to buy the nicer things in life, but
I don't see anybody at risk of starving. Much of the food in the US is
used for animal feed. Perhaps fewer animals will be grown for food, and
there will be that much more food for people.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 6:40*am, "Gill Smith" > wrote:
> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

> * *http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Staples like truffles, saffron, caviar and fois gras.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:
> Gill Smith wrote:
>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>> hoarding?

> None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. (Useful in their own rights,
and as alternate currencies)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gill Smith wrote:
> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> hoarding?

None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> Jeßus wrote:
>> Gill Smith wrote:
>>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>>> hoarding?

>> None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

> Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. (Useful in their own rights,
> and as alternate currencies)

Add razor to the list of essentials.

I've long lived with an attache case containing important documents which I
can grab in an emergency.

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Gill Smith" > wrote:
>
>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>> hoarding?

> I was just outside a little while ago, and saw no sign of the sky
> falling. People may not have money to buy the nicer things in life, but
> I don't see anybody at risk of starving. Much of the food in the US is
> used for animal feed. Perhaps fewer animals will be grown for food, and
> there will be that much more food for people.

But economies can and do implode.

Argentina is the most recent spectacular example.

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "Gill Smith "wrote:
>>
>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what
>> foods should we start hoarding?

> SPAM!

Uuurg!

I tried to figure out what makes this so unappetising.

Apart from its associations with institutions, it's the size of the slabs.

The actual 'meat' is probably little diifferent from tinned hot dogs.

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> "Gill Smith" > wrote:
>
> > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > hoarding?

> I was just outside a little while ago, and saw no sign of the sky
> falling. People may not have money to buy the nicer things in life, but
> I don't see anybody at risk of starving. Much of the food in the US is
> used for animal feed. Perhaps fewer animals will be grown for food, and
> there will be that much more food for people.

Yup, this current media hysteria about the banks and the market and such is
just that - hysteria. You'd think that it was 1929 again with all the
natterers going on about the sitch 24/7. I've seen *much* worse in my
lifetime, and I'm a young 'un relatively speaking (I'm 50). We've had
terrible energy shocks in the 70's, stagflation with an economy basically
dead in the water in the Ford - Carter years, double - digit virtually
Depression - era unemployment in the early 80's...

The market goes up, the market goes down. People with NO means made stoopid
"decisions" in buying real estate, people live *way* beyond any reasonable
means with credit cards, etc. A lot of the current hoo - ha IMNSHO is
because there is now an entitlement mentality among many; there are NO
guarantees and nobody *ever* said it was gonna be "easy"...now many want not
just a bail - out to weather the tougher times, they want a free *hand -
out*. Hey, I'd like some free dough for my DVD 'habit' and to help with my
bar tab, maybe I should just ask!

95% of mortgage holders are still current, the vast majority of folks are
still gainfully employed...and those are the people who will in the long run
be paying the way of the deadbeats who were wrongfully given mortgages with
bad credit, no money down, no understanding of the terms, etc...

And "food to hoard"? Ya gotta be *kidding*, food in the US is cheaper and
more available than at *any* time anywheres in history. Otherwise what
accounts for the huge amount of obesity in this country, *especially* among
the poor...a time traveler from a century ago - or even from 1940 - would be
pretty amazed to be set down in a ghetto or barrio or rural trailer park and
told that those people are "poor".

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

>> MREs aren't cheap! I don't buy them but have seen the cost for the
>> civilian version. But they sure do serve a useful purpose. I have to
>> eat them when deployed at times, and the jalapeno cheese spread eaten
>> right out of the packet is the bomb! I'm impressed with the spiciness
>> of them these days. I do lean towards the vegetarian meals, but MRE
>> Etiquette decrees that you just grab one out of the communal box and
>> take your chances.

> You're in the military?

I am an intermittent federal employee providing disaster care.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> On Oct 6, 6:40*am, "Gill Smith" > wrote:
> > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > hoarding?

> > * *http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> Staples like truffles, saffron, caviar and fois gras.

You forgot the French Champagne! How could you make it without that?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message

> Add razor to the list of essentials.
>
> I've long lived with an attache case containing important documents which
> can grab in an emergency.

Documents, such as those pieces of paper with photos of Lincoln, Franklin,
Jackson?

I can get by without a razor but T Tissue would be nice to have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 7:39 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Jeßus wrote:
> > Gill Smith wrote:
> >> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> >> hoarding?

> > None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

> Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. (Useful in their own rights,
> and as alternate currencies)
>
> Bob

When it hits, I hope I can hang with Lynne and Bob. I'll bring the
eggplant chutney, or whatever this is I'm making today. And maybe the
pear wine experiment will work.

bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 04:58:24a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> news:48ea2488$0$5498
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>>> hoarding?

>>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>> Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.
>>
>> MaryL

> I wonder if neighborhood children can be freeze dried and stored ;-o)
>
> Michael

Permanently? <wishful thinking>

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 19hrs
A naked man never worries about
pickpockets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
> "Gill Smith" wrote:
>
> > Add razor to the list of essentials.

> > I've long lived with an attache case containing
> > important documents which I
> > can grab in an emergency.

> Documents, such as those pieces of paper with
> photos of Lincoln, Franklin, Jackson?
>
> I can get by without a razor but T Tissue would be
> nice to have.

With the way things are going you can use those
Lincolns, Franklins, and Jacksons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 07 Oct 2008 04:58:24a, Michael "Dog3" told us...
>

>> I wonder if neighborhood children can be freeze dried and stored ;-o)
>>
>> Michael

> Permanently? <wishful thinking>

I'm with you two on that one!!!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 9:37*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 6, 6:40*am, "Gill Smith" > wrote:
> > > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > > hoarding?

> > > * *http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> > Staples like truffles, saffron, caviar and fois gras.

> You forgot the French Champagne! *How could you make it without that?
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

============================
I'm not supposed to drink alcohol ;-)
Lynn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 11:37*pm, bulka > wrote:
> On Oct 6, 7:39 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > Jeßus wrote:

> > > None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

> > Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. *(Useful in their own rights,
> > and as alternate currencies)

> > Bob

> When it hits, I hope I can hang with Lynne and Bob. *I'll bring the
> eggplant chutney, or whatever this is I'm making today. *And maybe the
> pear wine experiment will work.
>
> bulka

You could come to my fallout shelter (if I had one)
Lynn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 06:23:18a, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 07 Oct 2008 04:58:24a, Michael "Dog3" told us...
>>

>>> I wonder if neighborhood children can be freeze dried and stored ;-o)
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Permanently? <wishful thinking>

> I'm with you two on that one!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

LOL! Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 14hrs 59mins
Managing software engineers is like
herding cats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" > wrote:

> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > hoarding?

> I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play with my
> food.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

FEMA was handing out MRE's in Galveston and Houston after Ike. I was in
phone contact with a resident down there that rode out the storm.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> On Oct 6, 6:40*am, "Gill Smith" > wrote:
> > Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> > hoarding?

> > * *http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> Staples like truffles, saffron, caviar and fois gras.
> Lynn in Fargo

And Champagne.<g>
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Jeßus wrote:
> > Gill Smith wrote:
> >> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> >> hoarding?

> > None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

> Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. (Useful in their own rights,
> and as alternate currencies)
>
> Bob

..223...
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> news:48ea2488$0$5498
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> > et...
> >> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
> >> hoarding?

> >> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> > Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.
> >
> > MaryL

> I wonder if neighborhood children can be freeze dried and stored ;-o)
>
> Michael

Only the feral ones.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
> > "Gill Smith" wrote:
> >
> > > Add razor to the list of essentials.

> > > I've long lived with an attache case containing
> > > important documents which I
> > > can grab in an emergency.

> > Documents, such as those pieces of paper with
> > photos of Lincoln, Franklin, Jackson?
> >
> > I can get by without a razor but T Tissue would be
> > nice to have.

> With the way things are going you can use those
> Lincolns, Franklins, and Jacksons.

<lol> Okay, that was funny.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:

>> > Documents, such as those pieces of paper with
>> > photos of Lincoln, Franklin, Jackson?
>> >
>> > I can get by without a razor but T Tissue would be
>> > nice to have.

>> With the way things are going you can use those
>> Lincolns, Franklins, and Jacksons.

> <lol> Okay, that was funny.

Penny just dropped..... it was your finding it funny did the trick.

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gill Smith" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article
> > >,
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> >> With the way things are going you can use those
> >> Lincolns, Franklins, and Jacksons.

> > <lol> Okay, that was funny.

> Penny just dropped..... it was your finding it funny did the trick.

I often find Irony to be the best humor of all...
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:23:18 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 07 Oct 2008 04:58:24a, Michael "Dog3" told us...
>>

>>> I wonder if neighborhood children can be freeze dried and stored ;-o)
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Permanently? <wishful thinking>

> I'm with you two on that one!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

maybe we could send michael a few bucks for R & D.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:06:24 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>And "food to hoard"? Ya gotta be *kidding*, food in the US is cheaper and
>more available than at *any* time anywheres in history.

The problem is there is to MUCH food. Which is why the US government
subsidizes almost a buck per bushel of corn. Then the stuff rots or
is made into something else that we really don't need but the big food
giants can get rich on.

>Otherwise what
>accounts for the huge amount of obesity in this country, *especially* among
>the poor...a time traveler from a century ago - or even from 1940 - would be
>pretty amazed to be set down in a ghetto or barrio or rural trailer park and
>told that those people are "poor".

I'm about halfway through reading "BUILDING HOUSES OUT OF CHICKEN LEGS
Black Women, Food, and Power." The black ladies in the book would
be amazed that people get money for food without doing anything for
it. The article that Dog 3 seemed to be leaning in the direction
that the people weren't getting enough. If I were to need food stamps
I'd be glad for anything I could get rather than bitching I wasn't
getting enough.

So far this is a great book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/bo....html?emc=eta1

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jeßus wrote:
>> Gill Smith wrote:
>>> Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
>>> hoarding?

>> None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

> Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. (Useful in their own rights,
> and as alternate currencies)

Coffee and .22 ammo are staples here as well.
Cigarettes OTOH I can do without

But back to the topic... this qualifies as 'hoarding' I guess-
Make a 'root cellar' using an old freezer too store root veggies, apples
etc: www.ehow.com/how_5806_make-deep-freeze.html