Food to hoard

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food to hoard

Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

---------------------

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

---------------------

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
et...
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

Beans. They provide fuel also. Couple of bean meals and the methane will
keep the oven going long enough to make a roast.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Gill Smith" wrote:

Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

Canned and dried.

Stock up on firewood too and learn to cook outdoors. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Old 06-10-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
et...
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

---------------------

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

---------------------

Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.

MaryL

Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith "wrote:

Seeing money's about to become worthless, what
foods should we start hoarding?

SPAM!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

. ..

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
et...
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

---------------------

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

---------------------

Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.

Yes! And onions and other root foods in a dark basement.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

. ..

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
et...
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

---------------------

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

---------------------

Dried beans and lentils. And peanut butter.

Yes! And onions and other root foods in a dark basement.

Those would have been on my grandparents' list many years ago -- they lived
in Ohio, old frame house with dark root cellar. Definitely would not work
for me -- one-story house on a concrete slab in hot climate (East Texas).
(

MaryL

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
et...
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play with my
food.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Old 06-10-2008, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gill Smith wrote:

Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

Diamond Adult Premium Dog Food. Flyball dogs give it three paws up.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play with my
food.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

MREs aren't cheap! I don't buy them but have seen the cost for the
civilian version. But they sure do serve a useful purpose. I have to eat
them when deployed at times, and the jalapeno cheese spread eaten right
out of the packet is the bomb! I'm impressed with the spiciness of them
these days. I do lean towards the vegetarian meals, but MRE Etiquette
decrees that you just grab one out of the communal box and take your
chances.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
Curt Nelson wrote:

I keep a few cases of MRE's on hand, mainly because I like to play
with my food.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

MREs aren't cheap! I don't buy them but have seen the cost for the
civilian version. But they sure do serve a useful purpose. I have to
eat them when deployed at times, and the jalapeno cheese spread eaten
right out of the packet is the bomb! I'm impressed with the spiciness
of them these days. I do lean towards the vegetarian meals, but MRE
Etiquette decrees that you just grab one out of the communal box and
take your chances.

You're in the military? I thought it was your husband who was enlisted.
Not that it matters

Jill

Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Gill Smith" wrote:

Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

I was just outside a little while ago, and saw no sign of the sky
falling. People may not have money to buy the nicer things in life, but
I don't see anybody at risk of starving. Much of the food in the US is
used for animal feed. Perhaps fewer animals will be grown for food, and
there will be that much more food for people.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 6:40*am, "Gill Smith" wrote:
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

---------------------

* *http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

---------------------

Staples like truffles, saffron, caviar and fois gras.
Lynn in Fargo
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeus wrote:
Gill Smith wrote:
Seeing money's about to become worthless, what foods should we start
hoarding?

None. Develop Anorexia Nervosa instead... its time has come.

Coffee, cigarettes, and .22LR ammunition. (Useful in their own rights,
and as alternate currencies)

Bob