Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Billet Beef / Bouef au Billet

Made this tonight and I was quite pleased with the result, may be a copy
of an existing recipe but I did this on the fly as I went along

First I browned some beef mince and drained the fat.

In same pan, I then softened some chunks of red and green pepper and
then added some sliced garlic. Once done I added tomato purée and once
that had a chance to cook through, I deglazed the pan with a generous
helping of red wine and let it reduce before re-adding the mince.

To this I added

Caramelised Onions - . These were some small white "pickling" onions
that I prepared in olive oil, butter and sugar. Once done, I added a
good dash of balsamic vinegar

Stock. I re-consituted some dried mushrooms/sun dried tomatoes in hot
beef stock (made with a bouillon cube) . This was drained and the fleshy
bit chopped with a knife

This mix was then seasoned with salt + pepper, a dash of soy and L+P and
some fresh rosemary and allowed to cook for 20 mins.

Once done, I took a pack of prepared puff pastry, dumped the mix in the
middle, folded top in, sides in and then the top and baked the whole
thing at 170°C for 30 mins.

Served with "new" spuds + Brussel sprouts which I'd seen in supermarket
for first time this season

Worked out well

Steve