White pumpkins?

Old 28-09-2008, 03:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White pumpkins?

Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that.

Ken

Old 28-09-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw
them that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was
curious. They're for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer
orange ones for that.

Ghost pumpkins. People use them in fall decorations, though I assume
they also eat them. I even saw the miniature pumpkin gourds
in white. Very cute.

nancy

Old 28-09-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
Ken wrote:
Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw
them that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was
curious. They're for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer
orange ones for that.

Ghost pumpkins. People use them in fall decorations, though I assume
they also eat them. I even saw the miniature pumpkin gourds
in white. Very cute.

nancy

If it's a "sugar pumpkin" it's for eating, although I suppose you can eat
the other ones, too. I've never seen white pumpkins but that doesn't mean
anything

Jill

Old 28-09-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pictures of white pumpkins he
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...in&item=2 666

Information he
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in983978.shtml

Important point:
"They still have orange flesh beneath the white rind."

I'm surprised to see that they're considered a new thing. I don't think
it's my imagination. I've been seeing them in stores for a several
years now.

Me, I prefer small pumpkins for use in soup. I prefer the canned, lower
moisture, product for pie. I've never gotten into carving them.

--Lia

Old 28-09-2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

If it's a "sugar pumpkin" it's for eating, although I
suppose you can eat the other ones, too. I've never seen
white pumpkins but that doesn't mean anything

most of the 'white' pumpkins are sugar pumpkins & quite good
for eating.
white pumpkins make really nice jack-o-lanterns, as well. the
inside is as orange as a "regular" pumpkin so it shows a cut
design better than orange on orange, even when not lighted.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 28-09-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Pictures of white pumpkins he
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...in&item=2 666

Information he
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in983978.shtml

Important point:
"They still have orange flesh beneath the white rind."

Just like acorn squash, I suppose. Let a picked acorn squash sit for a
month and the formerly green rind will turn completely orange, with no ill
effects to the sweet already orange flesh on the inside

I'm surprised to see that they're considered a new thing. I don't
think it's my imagination. I've been seeing them in stores for a
several years now.

I simply don't go looking for pumpkins. I used to do a fall display outside
my front door consisting of fun shaped gourds, a small pumpkin and a sheaf
of cornstalks. I never saw white pumpkins even then. It probably depends
on where you live. Or, as with the OP, what the store is having shipped to
them.

Jill

Old 28-09-2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

I simply don't go looking for pumpkins. I used to do a fall display
outside my front door consisting of fun shaped gourds, a small pumpkin
and a sheaf of cornstalks. I never saw white pumpkins even then. It
probably depends on where you live. Or, as with the OP, what the store
is having shipped to them.

Around here, they're unavoidable. Supermarkets have big displays of
them. Even smaller stores have them piled up in big boxes. They get
carved for Halloween, but if you're not into that, they still turn up
everywhere as holiday decorations as you describe-- pumpkin, decorative
gourd, and some corn. Pumpkins are the cheap food this time of year.
They sell for pennies, are easily cooked, and feed a crowd.

--Lia

Old 28-09-2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 10:46´┐Żam, Ken wrote:
Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that..

The white ones have orange flesh. Pumpkins are actually gourds, they
are available in many varieties, all colors, sizes, configurations.
All are good for eating... folks typically buy the smaller ones for
pie making mainly because what would they do with thirty+ pounds of
pumpkin flesh. If you check out the major seed catalogs you will see
that most all are recommended for pie making... I find the larger,
dryer, more strongly flavored fleshed varieties make better pie
filling.

Old 28-09-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that.

What, no black pumpkins?

I smell a lawsuit.

-sw
Old 28-09-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Sep 2008 14:46:27 GMT, Ken wrote:

Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that.

You can cook them down for pumpkin pie.

Mae West
Old 28-09-2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that.

The small state-wide chain of Central Markets in TX always has a
display of about 25-35 different varieties of pumpkins in all shapes
of sizes, shapes and colors. Some of them are pretty impressive.
Th white ones have been around for at least 3-4 years.

-sw
Old 28-09-2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Ken wrote:

Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that.

Ken

They can be interesting. They've had them here now for about 3 years.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Old 28-09-2008, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

I simply don't go looking for pumpkins. I used to do a fall display
outside my front door consisting of fun shaped gourds, a small pumpkin
and a sheaf of cornstalks. I never saw white pumpkins even then. It
probably depends on where you live. Or, as with the OP, what the store
is having shipped to them.

Around here, they're unavoidable. Supermarkets have big displays of
them. Even smaller stores have them piled up in big boxes. They get
carved for Halloween, but if you're not into that, they still turn up
everywhere as holiday decorations as you describe-- pumpkin, decorative
gourd, and some corn. Pumpkins are the cheap food this time of year.
They sell for pennies, are easily cooked, and feed a crowd.

--Lia

They make good mash, soups and pies!

Old 28-09-2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin

Nancy Young replied to Ken:

Ken wrote:
Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw
them that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was
curious. They're for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer
orange ones for that.

Ghost pumpkins. People use them in fall decorations, though I assume
they also eat them. I even saw the miniature pumpkin gourds in white.
Very cute.

They had small white ones with the regular baking pumpkins at my farmers
market yesterday. I saw the large white ones for the first time last
year. The sign with the small ones said they were great for baking. Not
sure about the variety though.

Perhaps I will give them a try, but right now I think I will stick with
the traditional colors!

I did buy some squash yesterday that was served last night. The sign
said something like "Honey Best," but when I looked them up online they
appeared to be Delicata or Sugar Loaf. The thicker skin proved it to be
the Sugar Loaf. Delicious!

Now I need to figure out something cool to do with the Sugar pumpkins
and butternut squash! All the recipes of late are inspiring me.

--Lin