Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:54:21 -0400, Goomba wrote:

blake murphy wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:42:02 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake

Oh, always both in my kitchen!

toasting the seeds is kinda fun.

your pal,
blake
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to

beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake

Oh, always both in my kitchen!

toasting the seeds is kinda fun.

Probably not fitting so late in the thread but I don't use sesame oil to
cook but under prior r.f.c advisement add a few drops after cooking to toss
for flavor. Sesame seeds play a big part in my baked chicken tenders
coating mix.

Andy
Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake

Oh, always both in my kitchen!

toasting the seeds is kinda fun.

I don't make bulgogi or eat in Korean restaurants for that matter.
I'll find a recipe for the future.

Toasted sesame seeds are also nice on good old American dinner rolls.

Mae West
Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I don't make bulgogi or eat in Korean restaurants for that matter.
I'll find a recipe for the future.

Toasted sesame seeds are also nice on good old American dinner rolls.

I always marinate longer than the recipe calls for though-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bulgogi

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef
Korean

1 1/2 pounds beef steak -- sliced 1/2" thick
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 green onions -- chopped fine
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut meat into serving pieces, score on both sides. Place meat in
shallow pan. Mix remaining ingredients and marinate one hour. Grill.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:17:56 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

[...]

yep, i would go for two or even four hours.

i do a variation that includes grilled vegetables:

(korean) broiled mixed meats (juhn kol)

about one pound meat boned and cut into thin steaks and then into steaks
the size maybe of half your palm (i usually use a nice strip steak or
something - maybe that's why i haven't cooked this recently) (the book
also suggests pork steaklets or even small hamburger patties)

vegetables (sliced summer squash, stemmed mushrooms, green pepper cut into
flat pieces, white part of scallions, eggplant, or similar - think of
vegetables prepared as for shish kabob)

marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
is better):

1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbls sugar
2 tbls oil
1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
toasted and then mortared)
1 tbls flour.

shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil quickly however you
broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook pretty quick. the green
peppers are excellent.

(adapted from 'the complete book of oriental cooking,' by myra waldo)

the hot pepper really adds something to what is basically bulgogi.

your pal,
blake

Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
is better):

1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbls sugar
2 tbls oil
1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
toasted and then mortared)
1 tbls flour.

shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil quickly however you
broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook pretty quick. the green
peppers are excellent.

(adapted from 'the complete book of oriental cooking,' by myra waldo)

the hot pepper really adds something to what is basically bulgogi.

Hmmm... I think you're right. There are many times I think a little heat
would benefit a dish. I've never done veggies in with the beef but it
would be good. I'll have to remember to try it next time.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 18:13:16 -0400, Goomba wrote:

blake murphy wrote:

[...]

it really is good, and hard to mess up.

your pal,
blake