FoodBanter.com

-   -   pectin - Certo (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/161677-pectin-certo.html)

Tarpon 18-09-2008 01:29 PM

pectin - Certo

Hi All,
I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.

1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?
2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
pectin?

Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
my garden to use :-))

John

Ms P 18-09-2008 01:44 PM

pectin - Certo

"Tarpon" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.
>
> 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?
> 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> pectin?
>
> Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> my garden to use :-))
>
> John

Pectin is pectin. But the method used for powdered and liquid pectin
differs. Follow the instructions to the letter for the type of pectin you
have and the recipe specifies.

Yes, there are formulas that tell you how much pectin to use. They're
called recipes. Find one and follow it.

Ms P

Melba's Jammin' 18-09-2008 02:56 PM

pectin - Certo

In article
Tarpon > wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.
>
> 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?

They are not the same and they cannot be swapped out willy-nilly.

**They are not used in the same way.**

> 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> pectin?

No. A tested recipe is your formula. You can alter the type of pepper
you use depending on your desired heat level. If you've never canned
before, stick with a reliable recipe and follow it to the letter.
Here's a recipe from the Kraft site using Certo liquid fruit pectin
(made by Kraft):

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...lly-51862.aspx
There are other pepper jelly recipes on the site.

This recipe is from the Ball Blue Book, often referred to as the
canner's bible:
http://www.recipezaar.com/312033

If your "total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar" are improperly
distributed, you will not have jam or jelly at the end of it. (And you
need vinegar in that recipe, by the way.)

> Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> my garden to use :-))
>
> John

Ask your questions on rec.food.preserving, John. It's the proper place
for preserving information. Lots of knowledgeable and experienced
posters there. Helpful, too.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance

Melba's Jammin' 18-09-2008 02:59 PM

pectin - Certo

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> "Tarpon" > wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> > I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> > before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> > hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.
> >
> > 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> > powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?
> > 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> > have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> > pectin?
> >
> > Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> > my garden to use :-))
> >
> > John

> Pectin is pectin. But the method used for powdered and liquid pectin
> differs. Follow the instructions to the letter for the type of pectin you
> have and the recipe specifies.
>
> Yes, there are formulas that tell you how much pectin to use. They're
> called recipes. Find one and follow it.
>
> Ms P

Not all pectins are the same, Ms P, and 6 ounces of liquid pectin cannot
be swapped out with 6 ounces of powder pectin, assuming all other
ingredients remain the same.

John is better off to inquire at rec.food.preserving.

Tarpon 18-09-2008 03:01 PM

pectin - Certo

On Sep 18, 9:56*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Tarpon > wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> > before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> > hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.

> > 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> > powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?

> They are not the same and they cannot be swapped out willy-nilly.
>
> ***They are not used in the same way.**
>
> > 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> > have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> > pectin?

> No. *A tested recipe is your formula. *You can alter the type of pepper
> you use depending on your desired heat level. *If you've never canned
> before, stick with a reliable recipe and follow it to the letter. *
> Here's a recipe from the Kraft site using Certo liquid fruit pectin
> (made by Kraft):
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...lly-51862.aspx
> There are other pepper jelly recipes on the site.
>
> This recipe is from the Ball Blue Book, often referred to as the
> canner's bible:http://www.recipezaar.com/312033
>
> If your "total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar" are improperly
> distributed, you will not have jam or jelly at the end of it. *(And you
> need vinegar in that recipe, by the way.)
>

> > Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> > my garden to use :-))

> > John

> Ask your questions on rec.food.preserving, John. *It's the proper place
> for preserving information. *Lots of knowledgeable and experienced
> posters there. * Helpful, too.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
> on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
> programs/2008/08/30/>

Thanks very much for your help. I didn't think to look for a
"preserving" news group I will check on rec.food.preserving.

John

Dave Smith[_1_] 18-09-2008 03:05 PM

pectin - Certo

Tarpon wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.
>
> 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?
> 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> pectin?
>
> Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> my garden to use :-))

Pectin is not something to be afraid of, but IIRC the liquid and
powdered varieties are used in a slightly different manner. I usually
use the liquid and, when making fruit jams, it is added to the mixture
after it has boiled for the requisite period of time for that fruit.
The recipe that I used for hot red pepper jelly calls for mixture to
come to a boil, take it off the heat, add the Certo and then return it
to a boil.

I would suggest that the recipe is likely written in accordance with a
tried and tested method, and so the best advice that I can offer is that
you follow that recipe and use the type and amount of Certo specified.
After you have made a few batches of jams and jellies and seen how they
thicken, then you can start altering pectin.

This is the recipe that I used. It is delicious and FWIW, I see
absolutely no use for the food colouring.

Hot Pepper Jelly
2 to 3 small green bell peppers
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
Certo liquid fruit pectin
3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
6 1/2 cups sugar
red or green food coloring (opt)
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

Ms P 18-09-2008 03:21 PM

pectin - Certo

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ms P" > wrote:
>

>> Pectin is pectin. But the method used for powdered and liquid pectin
>> differs. Follow the instructions to the letter for the type of pectin
>> you
>> have and the recipe specifies.
>>
>> Yes, there are formulas that tell you how much pectin to use. They're
>> called recipes. Find one and follow it.
>>
>> Ms P

> Not all pectins are the same, Ms P, and 6 ounces of liquid pectin cannot
> be swapped out with 6 ounces of powder pectin, assuming all other
> ingredients remain the same.
>
> John is better off to inquire at rec.food.preserving.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

You swap it for the appropriate amount of pectin and you follow the method
for whichever pectin you're using. I've swapped powder for liquid in
several recipes. You do have to have an idea of what you're doing first
though.

I've made lots of case of jams and jellies. I've made jelly with Dr Pepper,
Mt. Dew and wine. I've combined fruits to make jams. It's not like I don't
know what I'm doing.

Blackberry-Plum and Cherry-Berry were our favorites, closely followed by
Cinnamon Pear and Raspberry-Peach. Habanero Peach was also a huge hit.

Ms P