Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White versus blue poppy seeds

I accidentally ordered white poppy seeds instead of blue. I'm in the
mood to bake a lemon poppy pound cake.

Is there any taste difference to bother worrying about? Until I rec'd
these, I actually never had white poppy seeds before or knew they existed?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 9:06�am, Goomba > wrote:
> I accidentally ordered white poppy seeds instead of blue. I'm in the
> mood to bake a lemon poppy pound cake.
>
> Is there any taste difference to bother worrying about? Until I rec'd
> these, I actually never had white poppy seeds before or knew they existed?

White poppy seeds are very different from blue poppy seeds... I
wouldn't sububstitute. All poppy seeds have a high oil content
therefore are prone to rancidity; store in fridge up to six months.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...poppyseed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message

> I accidentally ordered white poppy seeds instead of blue. I'm in the
> mood to bake a lemon poppy pound cake.
>
> Is there any taste difference to bother worrying about? Until I rec'd
> these, I actually never had white poppy seeds before or knew they
> existed?

I usually use blue (I'd say "black") poppy seeds briefly toasted for
Indian food but there are some good recipes that call for blended white
poppy seeds.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Sep 5, 9:06�am, Goomba > wrote:
>> I accidentally ordered white poppy seeds instead of blue. I'm in the
>> mood to bake a lemon poppy pound cake.
>>
>> Is there any taste difference to bother worrying about? Until I rec'd
>> these, I actually never had white poppy seeds before or knew they existed?

> White poppy seeds are very different from blue poppy seeds... I
> wouldn't sububstitute. All poppy seeds have a high oil content
> therefore are prone to rancidity; store in fridge up to six months.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...poppyseed.html

Ooops! Too late! I have always kept these in the freezer. They tasted
fine off my finger. The recipe only called for 2 tsp. so if there is a
marked flavor difference I don't know that it will be too obvious?

I used "European style" Challenge brand butter and just tasting the
creamed butter and sugar was amazingly rich and tasty. I hope the pound
cake comes out well. I'm testing the new oven on baking and wanted to
bring something sweet in to work tonight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 9:53�am, Goomba > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sep 5, 9:06 am, Goomba > wrote:
> >> I accidentally ordered white poppy seeds instead of blue. I'm in the
> >> mood to bake a lemon poppy pound cake.

> >> Is there any taste difference to bother worrying about? Until I rec'd
> >> these, I actually never had white poppy seeds before or knew they existed?

> > White poppy seeds are very different from blue poppy seeds... I
> > wouldn't sububstitute. �All poppy seeds have a high oil content
> > therefore are prone to rancidity; store in fridge up to six months.

> >http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...poppyseed.html

> Ooops! Too late! I have always kept these in the freezer.

Well, obviously frozen they'd keep even longer.

They tasted
> fine off my finger. The recipe only called for 2 tsp. so if there is a
> marked flavor difference I don't know that it will be too obvious?

I hope the pound
> cake comes out well. I'm testing the new oven on baking and wanted to
> bring something sweet in to work tonight.

just 2 tsps in a pound cake wouldn't be noticable. GE ovens work very
well. Just remember to place the rack in the next to the bottom
position or whichever position on your stove places the cake in the
most centered location; too high and the top will burn before the cake
cooks through, too low and the bottom will burn before the cake cooks
through.

I don't particularly like poppy seeds sprinkled throuhgout in cakes,
I'd omit them. I don't like poppy seeds on breads either... bakers
began using poppy seeds to hide buggy flour... I'f I' going to need to
floss poppy seeds from my teeth then I want to eat a worthwhile
amount. About the only way I like poopy seeds is as a filling for
pastry. If you had blue poppy seeds I'd suggest you make a filling
and swirl a generous portion through your cake.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10532

---