Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default Garlic presses

If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
years later.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-15, Corey Richardson > wrote:
> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> years later.

I see a lot of new model garlic presses from zyliss and others. They are so
cool and chic. Curved handles, modern designs, colors, etc. Mostly, they
look like the same old junk in new shapes, nothing more. And the prices!

You want a good hard-working garlic press that kicks ass and is easy to use?
The handles are quite long giving excellent leverage. Three or four cloves
is no problem for this plain jane press. No separate parts. No special
hole cleaning thingies. Just good ol' well designed garlic crushing power
at a reasonable price.

http://www.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.as...005-01496-0000

From my previous post on this press:

"This sucker is built! The ad says it's 7" long, but it's really 7-1/2"
long. This gives the user a lot of leverage, making crushing effortless.
The press cup is 1-1/2" dia x 1-1/2" deep. It's also a 3-piece articulated
press. NEVER buy a 2-piece press. 2-piece presses have insufficient
leverage. I'm confident this'll be the last press you buy."

I've tried a few others since. This one still whups ass!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:22:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>http://www.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.as...005-01496-0000

Darn you!!!! I wish you hadn't posted this site! I see way, way
too many things I would like from there....LOL.

Christine
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

I was a total Garlic addict but after loosing my sense of smell in a
motoring accident I have discovered that Garlic is almost tasteless!
Most of the seeming taste seems to come from the smell.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

"notbob" > wrote in message ...
> On 2008-08-15, Corey Richardson > wrote:
>> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>> years later.

> I see a lot of new model garlic presses from zyliss and others. They are so
> cool and chic. Curved handles, modern designs, colors, etc. Mostly, they
> look like the same old junk in new shapes, nothing more. And the prices!
>
> You want a good hard-working garlic press that kicks ass and is easy to use?
> The handles are quite long giving excellent leverage. Three or four cloves
> is no problem for this plain jane press. No separate parts. No special
> hole cleaning thingies. Just good ol' well designed garlic crushing power
> at a reasonable price.
>
> http://www.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.as...005-01496-0000
>
> From my previous post on this press:
>
> "This sucker is built! The ad says it's 7" long, but it's really 7-1/2"
> long. This gives the user a lot of leverage, making crushing effortless.
> The press cup is 1-1/2" dia x 1-1/2" deep. It's also a 3-piece articulated
> press. NEVER buy a 2-piece press. 2-piece presses have insufficient
> leverage. I'm confident this'll be the last press you buy."
>
> I've tried a few others since. This one still whups ass!
>

> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:31:57 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:22:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>

>>http://www.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.as...005-01496-0000

>Darn you!!!! I wish you hadn't posted this site! I see way, way
>too many things I would like from there....LOL.
>
>Christine

Whew. Spent way too much at Macy's these last few days getting ready
for this weekend, or I'd be right there with you Christine.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/09

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> years later.

I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
Faster too, once you learn how.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> > If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> > recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> > lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> > years later.
> >

> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
> Faster too, once you learn how.

What's your method?

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>> years later.
>>

> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a
> press. Faster too, once you learn how.

I use a large meat tenderizer, mallet-style. I use the flat side and crush
then dice finely. Someone gave me a garlic press and I used it once, which
is as many times as I ever want to clean a garlic press.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
>> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a
>> press. Faster too, once you learn how.

> I use a large meat tenderizer, mallet-style. I use the flat side and crush
> then dice finely. Someone gave me a garlic press and I used it once, which
> is as many times as I ever want to clean a garlic press.

Instead of the mallet, I use the side of a wide knife and bang it with the
heel of my hand. Then you pull away the peel, give a few chops, and into
the pan. I can have three cloves chopped by the time you can find the
press.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 7:22 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message

> > If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> > recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> > lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> > years later.

> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
> Faster too, once you learn how.

Aren't are glad that you shared this inf. Long long time ago, I bought
a garlic press just ;ike the one being discussed here, and hated it
for not getting a good leverage to press plus felt like the the good
flavor was being lost.. Then I fou d this
http://www.chefsresource.com/garlic-...-shredder.html and now, I
use it to make garlic paste or slice though I also use knife to slice
them.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 8:52 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> >> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> >> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a
> >> press. Faster too, once you learn how.

> > I use a large meat tenderizer, mallet-style. I use the flat side and crush
> > then dice finely. Someone gave me a garlic press and I used it once, which
> > is as many times as I ever want to clean a garlic press.

> Instead of the mallet, I use the side of a wide knife and bang it with the
> heel of my hand. Then you pull away the peel, give a few chops, and into
> the pan. I can have three cloves chopped by the time you can find the
> press.

I too have learned that procedure and got skilled enough that now the
shredded garlic pieces don't fly when I chop them
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote
> Instead of the mallet, I use the side of a wide knife and bang it with the
> heel of my hand. Then you pull away the peel, give a few chops, and into
> the pan. I can have three cloves chopped by the time you can find the
> press.

This makes sense. I just lay the mallet on the garlic clove and press with
both hands. If I tried banging the flat side of a knife with the heel of my
hand I'd hurt my hand and it would not get crushed. I have done this by
peeling first and by removing the peel after I crush the garlic. I like to
remove the peel first, but am not always that patient. I read that
crushing then chopping releases the most allocin? Or whatever the primary
active ingredient is in fresh garlic.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote >
> I too have learned that procedure and got skilled enough that now the
> shredded garlic pieces don't fly when I chop them

I used to have a problem with fat cloves flying when I crushed them. Now I
cut them in half if they are too fat, then they won't fly.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote
>> Instead of the mallet, I use the side of a wide knife and bang it with
>> the heel of my hand. Then you pull away the peel, give a few chops, and
>> into the pan. I can have three cloves chopped by the time you can find
>> the press.

> This makes sense. I just lay the mallet on the garlic clove and press with
> both hands. If I tried banging the flat side of a knife with the heel of
> my hand I'd hurt my hand and it would not get crushed. I have done this by
> peeling first and by removing the peel after I crush the garlic. I like to
> remove the peel first, but am not always that patient. I read that
> crushing then chopping releases the most allocin? Or whatever the primary
> active ingredient is in fresh garlic.

Which is why in many recipes garlic is left whole or even with the paper
left on.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>>> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>>> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>>> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>>> years later.
>>>

>> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to
>> just smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff
>> through a press. Faster too, once you learn how.

> I use a large meat tenderizer, mallet-style. I use the flat side and
> crush then dice finely. Someone gave me a garlic press and I used it
> once, which is as many times as I ever want to clean a garlic press.

That was my same feeling for a garlic press - cleaning out those little
holes was a PITA! I'll just smack the garlic and dice it, thank you.

kili

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 2:02 pm, Corey Richardson >
wrote:
> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> years later.

Oh yes, I agree, I have had mine for some time and they are
fantastic!!!

Denay
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote
>> Instead of the mallet, I use the side of a wide knife and bang it with the
>> heel of my hand. Then you pull away the peel, give a few chops, and into
>> the pan. I can have three cloves chopped by the time you can find the
>> press.

> This makes sense. I just lay the mallet on the garlic clove and press with
> both hands. If I tried banging the flat side of a knife with the heel of my
> hand I'd hurt my hand and it would not get crushed. I have done this by
> peeling first and by removing the peel after I crush the garlic. I like to
> remove the peel first, but am not always that patient. I read that
> crushing then chopping releases the most allocin? Or whatever the primary
> active ingredient is in fresh garlic.

For the past few years I have been grating garlic with my microplane
grater. It's fast and does a great job. The grater cleans up easily
with a fingernail brush and soapy water. I still slice garlic when I
want larger pieces.

gloria p
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> For the past few years I have been grating garlic with my microplane
> grater. It's fast and does a great job. The grater cleans up easily
> with a fingernail brush and soapy water. I still slice garlic when I
> want larger pieces.

That's a good idea. I personally just use a knife and mince it
and maybe smash it using the edge of the knife and some salt.

I'm not big on smashing the sides of knives onto round objects.
(laugh) Not that courageous.

nancy
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 10:22*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message

> > If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> > recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> > lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> > years later.

> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
> Faster too, once you learn how.

I don't think I've ever used one. They look hard to clean and it's
faster smucking them with a knife. My nephew was helping someone get
ready for a party and was given a garlic press and a few bulbs of
garlic. The people he was helping insisted that he use the press. He
said it drove him crazy and took two or three times longer than with a
decent knife.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>
>>If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>>recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>>lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>>years later.
>>

> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
> Faster too, once you learn how.

I use garlic puree, in a tube. It must be the Delia in me (her cheats
guide to cooking) :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dave wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> >
> >>If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
> >>recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
> >>lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
> >>years later.
> >>

> > I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> > smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
> > Faster too, once you learn how.

> I use garlic puree, in a tube. It must be the Delia in me (her cheats
> guide to cooking) :-)
>
> Dave

I like the tubed stuff, too! Is this cheating? The tubed tomato paste
is great, also. After all, who uses a whole (albeit small) can of
tomato paste all at once? Perfect for small doses.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-16, Sky > wrote:

> I like the tubed stuff, too! Is this cheating? The tubed tomato paste
> is great, also. After all, who uses a whole (albeit small) can of
> tomato paste all at once? Perfect for small doses.

It's not cheating if you can get good stuff. I use tube tomato paste.
Usually better and keeps well. OTOH, I've had horrible luck with tube
anchovies, the two brands I've tried tasting more like metal than anchovie.
I would never use tube garlic. I think anything but fresh garlic is vile in
the extreme and will not buy pre-ground/crushed garlic, even the stuff made
rather close to where I used to live. Pre-skinned whole cloves is the
closest to pre-fab I will go.

nb
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote
> I like the tubed stuff, too! Is this cheating? The tubed tomato paste
> is great, also. After all, who uses a whole (albeit small) can of
> tomato paste all at once? Perfect for small doses.

I would use the tubed tomato paste, but worry that the tubed garlic might
not have some of the great health benefits of fresh. (I'm thinking about the
studies that show that cooked tomatoes have more lycopene than raw, etc.)

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:42:11 -0400:

>> For the past few years I have been grating garlic with my
>> microplane grater. It's fast and does a great job. The
>> grater cleans up easily with a fingernail brush and soapy
>> water. I still slice garlic when I want larger pieces.

> That's a good idea. I personally just use a knife and mince
> it and maybe smash it using the edge of the knife and some
> salt.

> I'm not big on smashing the sides of knives onto round
> objects. (laugh) Not that courageous.

Nor me! However, if you cut off the tips of a clove and press hard with
the flat side of a heavy knife, it works well.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-08-16, Sky > wrote:
>>
>> I like the tubed stuff, too! Is this cheating? The tubed tomato paste
>> is great, also. After all, who uses a whole (albeit small) can of
>> tomato paste all at once? Perfect for small doses.

> It's not cheating if you can get good stuff. I use tube tomato paste.
> Usually better and keeps well. OTOH, I've had horrible luck with tube
> anchovies, the two brands I've tried tasting more like metal than
> anchovie.
> I would never use tube garlic. I think anything but fresh garlic is vile
> in
> the extreme and will not buy pre-ground/crushed garlic, even the stuff
> made
> rather close to where I used to live. Pre-skinned whole cloves is the
> closest to pre-fab I will go.
>
> nb

Those are really inexpensive here. I like to toss a bunch in with a half a
jar of pickles.

TFM® - I smack cloves with a knife too. Had a garlic press eons ago.
Worthless tool.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> "kilikini" > news:g86lnu$hhj$1
> @news.datemas.de: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > That was my same feeling for a garlic press - cleaning out those little
> > holes was a PITA! I'll just smack the garlic and dice it, thank you.

> Yep. Same here. I figure if I ever have something come up that I

actually
> need smooshed garlic I can use the trusty old mortar&pestle. Nothing like
> that has happened in at least the last 20 years so I'll continue to smash
> and chop. Just like Julia taught me to

Smoosh the cloves with a can of something, a small can of tomato sauce or
such will usually do...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Nancy wrote on Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:42:11 -0400:
>
>>> For the past few years I have been grating garlic with my
>>> microplane grater. It's fast and does a great job. The
>>> grater cleans up easily with a fingernail brush and soapy
>>> water. I still slice garlic when I want larger pieces.

>> That's a good idea. I personally just use a knife and mince
>> it and maybe smash it using the edge of the knife and some
>> salt.

>> I'm not big on smashing the sides of knives onto round
>> objects. (laugh) Not that courageous.

> Nor me! However, if you cut off the tips of a clove and press hard with
> the flat side of a heavy knife, it works well.
>
> --

Yes, you just kind of "lean" on it. You don't actually "whap" it. I have
done it with knives, but I like the flat side of my old aluminum meat
tenderizer best.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
message news

> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
>> "kilikini" > news:g86lnu$hhj$1
>> @news.datemas.de: in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > That was my same feeling for a garlic press - cleaning out those little
>> > holes was a PITA! I'll just smack the garlic and dice it, thank you.

>> Yep. Same here. I figure if I ever have something come up that I

> actually
>> need smooshed garlic I can use the trusty old mortar&pestle. Nothing like
>> that has happened in at least the last 20 years so I'll continue to smash
>> and chop. Just like Julia taught me to

> Smoosh the cloves with a can of something, a small can of tomato sauce or
> such will usually do...

I see cloves squirting all over the place.

A thin cleaver (think thin slicing type) can smash multiple cloves at one
time. Lay the cleaver down on the cloves and strike with the heel of your
hand.

Don't make a fist and swing it like a gavel. Past injuries will make
themselves apparent at that point. <G>

Think karate.

TFM®

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 1:15*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
> > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > > "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> > > I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
> > > smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
> > > Faster too, once you learn how.

> > I use garlic puree, in a tube. It must be the Delia in me (her cheats
> > guide to cooking) *:-)

> > Dave

> I like the tubed stuff, too! *Is this cheating? *The tubed tomato paste
> is great, also. *After all, who uses a whole (albeit small) can of
> tomato paste all at once? *Perfect for small doses.
>
> Sky
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

======================
So is ginger in a tube
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:51:55 +0100, Dave >
wrote:

>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>>
>>>If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>>>recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>>>lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>>>years later.
>>>

>> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
>> smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
>> Faster too, once you learn how.

>I use garlic puree, in a tube. It must be the Delia in me (her cheats
>guide to cooking) :-)
>
>Dave

I sometimes use that. I also use the frozen cubes of garlic and ginger
too when I'm lazy.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:19:51 -0400, TFM® >
wrote:

>TFM® - I smack cloves with a knife too. Had a garlic press eons ago.
>Worthless tool.

Isn't it more work though? Plus you have the knife & the cutting board
to clean afterwards.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:46:53 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>cybercat wrote:

>>> I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to
>>> just smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff
>>> through a press. Faster too, once you learn how.

>> I use a large meat tenderizer, mallet-style. I use the flat side and
>> crush then dice finely. Someone gave me a garlic press and I used it
>> once, which is as many times as I ever want to clean a garlic press.

>That was my same feeling for a garlic press - cleaning out those little
>holes was a PITA! I'll just smack the garlic and dice it, thank you.
>
>kili

I don't do the washing-up ;-)
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:54:20 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"amandaF" > wrote >
>> I too have learned that procedure and got skilled enough that now the
>> shredded garlic pieces don't fly when I chop them

>I used to have a problem with fat cloves flying when I crushed them. Now I
>cut them in half if they are too fat, then they won't fly.

In the few instances where I've minced and chopped garlic with a knife,
I find a few grains of sea salt not only help stop the cloves flying,
but they help with the mincing too.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:22:46 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>> years later.
>>

>I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
>smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a press.
>Faster too, once you learn how.

Does chopping by hand with a knife really give a stronger flavour? I
thought mincing with a garlic press would, because the garlic is more
finely divided?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:11:21 +0100, "Dave Croft"
> wrote:

>I was a total Garlic addict but after loosing my sense of smell in a
>motoring accident I have discovered that Garlic is almost tasteless!
>Most of the seeming taste seems to come from the smell.

That's really bad news, Dave - head accident? I love the stuff too!
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:28:26 +0200, Waldo Centini
> wrote:

>Op Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:02:25 +0100 frommelde Corey Richardson :
>
>> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>> years later.

>The Zyliss isn't bad. Not at all.
>
>But if you want the best:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/garlicpress

Wow. That really does look good. Sturdy like the Zyliss too?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:19:51 -0400, TFM® >
> wrote:
>
>>TFM® - I smack cloves with a knife too. Had a garlic press eons ago.
>>Worthless tool.

> Isn't it more work though? Plus you have the knife & the cutting board
> to clean afterwards.

If I'm cooking, both are in use. I highly doubt I'd break out the cleaver
and cutting board just to smash garlic.

TFM® - Are you from Damascus?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:22:46 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> If anyone's looking for a replacement Garlic press, I can thoroughly
>>> recommend a Zyliss. In the past I've bought cheap ones and they've
>>> lasted at most a year, but the Zyliss is still going strong over 10
>>> years later.
>>>

>>I've not touched a garlic press since I found out how easy it is to just
>>smash and chop. IMO, it gives better flavor than the stuff through a
>>press.
>>Faster too, once you learn how.

> Does chopping by hand with a knife really give a stronger flavour? I
> thought mincing with a garlic press would, because the garlic is more
> finely divided?

Smashing then chopping releases more of the compound responsible for the
flavor and scent.