Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lodge Color or Tramontina?

I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
most helpful.

If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks in advance, folks.

--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

EZ Larry wrote:
> I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>
> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2
>
> Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477
>
> Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
> most helpful.
>
> If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
> cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
> year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.
>
> Thanks in advance, folks.

I've no experience with the enameled cast iron pots but one my Mom had
years ago got chipped rather easily. I usually stick with cast iron
skillets and pots that are just that, cast iron. Easy enough to season
or re season and they don't chip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:23:52 -0500, EZ Larry
> wrote:

>I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
>35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>
>My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>
>http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2
>
>Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:
>
>http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477
>
>Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
>most helpful.
>
>If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
>cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
>year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.
>
>Thanks in advance, folks.

Great prices! I vote for blue, but red may be more your style. DD
has some red pieces (I think her kitchen aide mixer is red too) in her
kitchen. One is a red dutch oven, which is usually her stove. It's
a happy look.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 9:23�am, EZ Larry > wrote:
> I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>
> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&search....
>
> Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
ovens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 8:23*am, EZ Larry > wrote:
> I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>
> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&search....
>
> Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477
>
> Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
> most helpful.
>
> If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
> cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
> year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.
>
> Thanks in advance, folks.
>
> --
> EZ Larry from St. Louis

Larry,
Cook's Illustrated magzine did a rating/review on those pots sometime
in the last few months. They do have a website but I don't know about
archives. If I remember correctly, they like Tremontina best for the
performance and the price.
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:50:35 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>Larry,
>Cook's Illustrated magzine did a rating/review on those pots sometime
>in the last few months. They do have a website but I don't know about
>archives. If I remember correctly, they like Tremontina best for the
>performance and the price.
>Lynn in Fargo

Many thanks, Lynn. I'm a member, so I'll go online and read the
review.
--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:22:37 -0500, EZ Larry
> wrote:

>Many thanks, Lynn. I'm a member, so I'll go online and read the
>review.

And, here it is:

"Update: January, 2008

Shelling out hundreds of dollars for a Dutch oven is less necessary
than ever. We put two new low-cost models, one from Tramontina
($39.86) and another from Lodge ($49.86), to the test and liked what
we found. Both are crafted from enameled cast iron, and both produced
glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew; fluffy white rice; and
crispy French fries in the test kitchen. But the Tramontina oven's
larger capacity (6.5 quarts to the Lodge's 6 quarts) and even lower
price made it our preferred choice. We recommend the Tramontina as an
inexpensive alternative to our favorite 71/4-quart Dutch oven by Le
Creuset ($229.95)."

So, it appears that the reason for the Tramontina is that it's
slightly larger and ten bucks cheaper. Both performed about as well.
--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

EZ Larry > wrote:

>"We put two new low-cost models, one from Tramontina
>($39.86) and another from Lodge ($49.86), to the test and liked what
>we found. Both are crafted from enameled cast iron, and both produced
>glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew;"

Neither glossy nor Belgian are among my criteria for beef stew.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a red Le Creuset dutch oven that I've used for years and I love
it, although it's stained inside, I also have generic pieces I love just
as much, that have never stained. I'm sure you'll like the Lodge brand.
My pieces are very heavy and generally just live on the stove top and
don't get put away after washing. None of them have ever chipped at
all, and I'm not delicate with them. They've even gone through the
dishwasher a few times.

One of the things I like about this type of cookware is it's ability to
hold heat. I can heat something up at home and drive it up to church or
a pot luck and the contents are still steaming 1/2 hour later. To
simmer sauce or a stew, I place it on the smaller back burner of my gas
stove and just ignore it for the afternoon.

Go for whatever piece you like best, I've seen the Lodge items and
they're very pretty. It isn't necessary to buy Le Creuset brand, as far
as I'm concerned, there's no difference in their performance. I bought
my large Le Creuset dutch oven at Home Goods for $79,95, which was a
great price, even cheaper than the Le Creuset outlet store. I've found
all the rest of my Le Creuset pieces at yard sales.

QVC also has a lot of this type of cookware at great prices.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:13:37 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>I usually stick with cast iron
>skillets and pots that are just that, cast iron. Easy enough to season
>or re season and they don't chip.

I can use them at home year round and then in the summer, take them on
camping trips. Even made pineapple upside down cake in a Lodge dutch
oven on a campfire. Lots of people were coming around from the
campsite wondering what smells so good. They were eating hot dogs
and chips while we had Steak au Poivre and pineapple upside down
cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"EZ Larry" > wrote in message
>I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>
> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2

Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift this
past Christmas and love it.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 15 Aug 2008 07:42:40p, MareCat told us...

> "EZ Larry" > wrote in message
>>I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
>> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>>
>> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>>
>> http://www.walmart.com/search/search...nt=0&search_qu
>> ery=lodge+color&ic=48_0&Find.x=18&Find.y=2

> Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift this
> past Christmas and love it.
>
> Mary

I don't really need any more enamelled cast iron cookware. My Le Creuset
will certainly outlive me, but the prices on the Lodge cookware are
astronomically lower than Le Creuset and they look like terrific pieces.
If I were to buy more, it would probably be Lodge.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 2dys 4hrs 1mins
Study demonology with an enemy this Sunday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>On Aug 15, 9:23?am, EZ Larry > wrote:
>> I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
>> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>>
>> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>>
>> http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&search...
>>
>> Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:
>>
>> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

>I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
>ovens.

Not arguing with your conclusion (was that negative?).

However I'd like to see a jpg (including brand and style) of what you
consider an enameled cast iron dutch oven.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:29:43 -0400, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom>
wrote:

>Lots of people were coming around from the
>campsite wondering what smells so good. They were eating hot dogs
>and chips while we had Steak au Poivre and pineapple upside down
>cake.

Gosh, that reminds me of the "good old days" when my BIL and exSIL
were still married. She made every camping trip into an unforgettable
(good) taste experience!

Keep up the good work.... you might convert the masses!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:29:51 -0500, EZ Larry
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:22:37 -0500, EZ Larry
> wrote:
>
>>Many thanks, Lynn. I'm a member, so I'll go online and read the
>>review.

>And, here it is:
>
>"Update: January, 2008
>
>Shelling out hundreds of dollars for a Dutch oven is less necessary
>than ever. We put two new low-cost models, one from Tramontina
>($39.86) and another from Lodge ($49.86), to the test and liked what
>we found. Both are crafted from enameled cast iron, and both produced
>glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew; fluffy white rice; and
>crispy French fries in the test kitchen. But the Tramontina oven's
>larger capacity (6.5 quarts to the Lodge's 6 quarts) and even lower
>price made it our preferred choice. We recommend the Tramontina as an
>inexpensive alternative to our favorite 71/4-quart Dutch oven by Le
>Creuset ($229.95)."
>
>So, it appears that the reason for the Tramontina is that it's
>slightly larger and ten bucks cheaper. Both performed about as well.

Did you borrow them or buy them and return what you didn't like?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:01:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 15 Aug 2008 07:42:40p, MareCat told us...
>
>> "EZ Larry" > wrote in message
>>>I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
>>> 35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.
>>>
>>> My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:
>>>
>>> http://www.walmart.com/search/search...nt=0&search_qu
>>> ery=lodge+color&ic=48_0&Find.x=18&Find.y=2

>> Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift this
>> past Christmas and love it.
>>
>> Mary

>I don't really need any more enamelled cast iron cookware. My Le Creuset
>will certainly outlive me, but the prices on the Lodge cookware are
>astronomically lower than Le Creuset and they look like terrific pieces.
>If I were to buy more, it would probably be Lodge.

Here's my opinion.... I wouldn't buy Lodge if it was handed to me on a
silver platter because there are too many sycophants here for me to
trust that brand. Logde wasn't a name I knew before I stumbled into
this news group and it's not the only cast iron on the market... at
least it wasn't when I was buying cast iron. Certain posters sound
like little kid.... If it's not branded (and expensive), it's not any
good. Pffft! Treat it right and it will outlast "you".

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:36:28 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:01:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>> Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift this
>>> past Christmas and love it.
>>>
>>> Mary

>>I don't really need any more enamelled cast iron cookware. My Le Creuset
>>will certainly outlive me, but the prices on the Lodge cookware are
>>astronomically lower than Le Creuset and they look like terrific pieces.
>>If I were to buy more, it would probably be Lodge.

>Here's my opinion.... I wouldn't buy Lodge if it was handed to me on a
>silver platter because there are too many sycophants here for me to
>trust that brand. Logde wasn't a name I knew before I stumbled into
>this news group and it's not the only cast iron on the market... at
>least it wasn't when I was buying cast iron. Certain posters sound
>like little kid.... If it's not branded (and expensive), it's not any
>good. Pffft! Treat it right and it will outlast "you".

Lodge has been around since 1896, according to their web site. People
praise it because they have used it for many years and some are using
pieces that have been in their families for over 50 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 15 Aug 2008 11:36:28p, told us...

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:01:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

&search_qu

>>> Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift

this
>>> past Christmas and love it.
>>>
>>> Mary

>>I don't really need any more enamelled cast iron cookware. My Le Creuset
>>will certainly outlive me, but the prices on the Lodge cookware are
>>astronomically lower than Le Creuset and they look like terrific pieces.
>>If I were to buy more, it would probably be Lodge.

> Here's my opinion.... I wouldn't buy Lodge if it was handed to me on a
> silver platter because there are too many sycophants here for me to
> trust that brand. Logde wasn't a name I knew before I stumbled into
> this news group and it's not the only cast iron on the market... at
> least it wasn't when I was buying cast iron. Certain posters sound
> like little kid.... If it's not branded (and expensive), it's not any
> good. Pffft! Treat it right and it will outlast "you".

That might be true for their ordinary cast iron products, but the prices on
their enamelled cast iron pieces are very good in comparison to other
brands. Even currently manufactured Le Creuset products don't really
measure up to the quality they made decades ago, but their prices are
rediculously high/

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 1dys 17hrs 17mins
'My heart stopped. . . ... Ah, there
it goes!' --Barney
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:32:38 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> EZ Larry > wrote:
>
>>"We put two new low-cost models, one from Tramontina
>>($39.86) and another from Lodge ($49.86), to the test and liked what
>>we found. Both are crafted from enameled cast iron, and both produced
>>glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew;"

> Neither glossy nor Belgian are among my criteria for beef stew.
>
> Steve

just drink belgian beer 'til your eyes get glossy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:36:28 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:01:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>>I don't really need any more enamelled cast iron cookware. My Le Creuset
>>will certainly outlive me, but the prices on the Lodge cookware are
>>astronomically lower than Le Creuset and they look like terrific pieces.
>>If I were to buy more, it would probably be Lodge.

> Here's my opinion.... I wouldn't buy Lodge if it was handed to me on a
> silver platter because there are too many sycophants here for me to
> trust that brand. Logde wasn't a name I knew before I stumbled into
> this news group and it's not the only cast iron on the market... at
> least it wasn't when I was buying cast iron. Certain posters sound
> like little kid.... If it's not branded (and expensive), it's not any
> good. Pffft! Treat it right and it will outlast "you".

i understand your instinct, but the application here seems off. people
seem to have had and used these products for a long time, not seduced by
the 'brand name' and then had their purchase languish in the closet.

in any case, your reasoning would seem to apply more to the le crueset
brand than to the lodge.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>in any case, your reasoning would seem to apply more to the le crueset
>brand than to the lodge.

Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
details like size.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> in any case, your reasoning would seem to apply more to the le crueset
>> brand than to the lodge.

> Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
> matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
> cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
> any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
> If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
> makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
> details like size.

I've noticed that. It seems that brand names don't make any difference
in the foods we prepare. The experience of the cook seems to be the most
important factor. I'm picky about my fry pans but I couldn't tell you
who the heck makes 'em. Mostly I pick them off a rack of the near-by
off-price store based on construction, weight and price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:21:21 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
>wrote:
>>I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
>>ovens.

I plonked Sheldon early on, but it's a shame Agent won't filter the
quoted text in a reply!
--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

> Here's my opinion.... I wouldn't buy Lodge if it was handed to me on a
> silver platter because there are too many sycophants here for me to
> trust that brand. Logde wasn't a name I knew before I stumbled into
> this news group and it's not the only cast iron on the market... at
> least it wasn't when I was buying cast iron. Certain posters sound
> like little kid.... If it's not branded (and expensive), it's not any
> good. Pffft! Treat it right and it will outlast "you".

I never even heard of Lodge til I received the pot from my mom last year. I
couldn't care less about brand names or how much something costs. Definitely
*not* a label person. LOL. (My mom also gave me a nice set of Cuisinart pots
and pans last Christmas, but prior to that, almost all of my cookware was
no-name stuff.) If it works well, that's good enough for me (and I've been
very pleased with my Lodge pot).

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:

> I never even heard of Lodge til I received the pot from my mom last year. I
> couldn't care less about brand names or how much something costs. Definitely
> *not* a label person. LOL. (My mom also gave me a nice set of Cuisinart pots
> and pans last Christmas, but prior to that, almost all of my cookware was
> no-name stuff.) If it works well, that's good enough for me (and I've been
> very pleased with my Lodge pot).
>
> Mary

My Lodge cast iron skillet and kettle came from my grandmother who has
passed away. I bought Le Creuset, because I was so pleased with the way
cast iron cooks. I picked it up, one piece at a time, at an outlet mall
in San Marcos where my youngest son was going to school. If I had known
about the cheaper brands, I would have tried them. I do not like to shop
and I had no idea that Walmart carried Lodge or Tramontina (have never
heard about it this brand). I am so out of it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:39:40 -0500, EZ Larry
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:21:21 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
>>wrote:
>>>I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
>>>ovens.

>I plonked Sheldon early on, but it's a shame Agent won't filter the
>quoted text in a reply!

Use "Ignore subthread" and not have to see a whole group of follow ups
to a post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:44:15 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>in any case, your reasoning would seem to apply more to the le crueset
>>brand than to the lodge.

> Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
> matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
> cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
> any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
> If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
> makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
> details like size.

i think the brand conveys a fair amount of information. and i don't think
people are boasting about owning lodge, which isn't all that expensive.

i mean, people aren't giving recipes saying 'sauté an onion in a t-fal
triple-ply frying pan' like it was the pillsbury bake-off or something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:39:32 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> in any case, your reasoning would seem to apply more to the le crueset
>>> brand than to the lodge.

>> Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
>> matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
>> cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
>> any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
>> If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
>> makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
>> details like size.
>>

> I've noticed that. It seems that brand names don't make any difference
> in the foods we prepare. The experience of the cook seems to be the most
> important factor. I'm picky about my fry pans but I couldn't tell you
> who the heck makes 'em. Mostly I pick them off a rack of the near-by
> off-price store based on construction, weight and price.

of course skill is the most important. but while 'it's a poor workman who
blames his tools,' good tools can make things a little easier.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:39:40 -0500, EZ Larry wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:21:21 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
>>wrote:
>>>I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
>>>ovens.

> I plonked Sheldon early on, but it's a shame Agent won't filter the
> quoted text in a reply!

think of him as the grain of sand in your pearl.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:39:32 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy

>>> Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
>>> matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
>>> cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
>>> any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
>>> If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
>>> makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
>>> details like size.
>>>

>> I've noticed that. It seems that brand names don't make any difference
>> in the foods we prepare. The experience of the cook seems to be the most
>> important factor. I'm picky about my fry pans but I couldn't tell you
>> who the heck makes 'em. Mostly I pick them off a rack of the near-by
>> off-price store based on construction, weight and price.

> of course skill is the most important. but while 'it's a poor workman who
> blames his tools,' good tools can make things a little easier.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Cut up chicken will taste the same no matter if you cut it with a Henckles,
Wusthof, Furii, or 99¢ knife from the supermarket. OTOH, it may (or may
not) make a difference if you were using a particular type of cookware, say
a cast iron pan versus the bottom of a stainless steel pot.

I can get better results from the better types of cookware over a cheap
Teflon pan that tends to burn rather than brown.

My wife, for some reason known only to her, wanted a cast iron enameled
Dutch oven. She looked at Lodge, looked at Tramontina (cost effectiveness
at work) and happened to see some others. Looks as though the same factory
in China is turning out the Mario Batali and Martha Stewart lines and they
sell at similar prices. By chance we stopped at a Calphalon outlet
yesterday. They had the same style DO listed for $129, but had an 8 qt. on
sale for $49. Since is was a tax free day in MA, we bought the Calphalon
brand. We also stopped and looked at the Le Creuset store and chuckled at
the price. The color selection is better, I'll admit, but I doubt the
performance is any different.

We also stopped at a Linens and Things store. They have a panini pan kit on
sale. For $10 you get a cast iron grill pan, a cast iron top press, flipper,
tongs, and brush. Regular price is double that. If you don't mind the made
in China sticker, it is a great deal.

In the long run, performance counts much more than the name. I have to
wonder about some of the tri-ply cookware on the market. All Clad gets the
spotlight, but the sheets of steel they come from are probably the same as
many other brands use. I doubt you can tell a fried onion or sloppy Joe
cooked in one brand to the next.

I guess I'm sort of an anti-snob. I won't buy All Clad. OK, I'd buy it for
$15 a pan, but not for the prices they get for most of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:09:19 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:44:15 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:57:35 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>in any case, your reasoning would seem to apply more to the le crueset
>>>brand than to the lodge.

>> Basically, I'm tired of hearing brand names bandied about as it
>> matters one tiny bit to the end product. I don't care if your black
>> cast iron is Lodge or the one that starts with G or not. Same with
>> any other cookware. I don't need or want to know what brand it is.
>> If you used a souffle dish, I don't care what brand it is (which
>> makes as much difference as what color it is)... give me the important
>> details like size.

>i think the brand conveys a fair amount of information. and i don't think
>people are boasting about owning lodge, which isn't all that expensive.
>
>i mean, people aren't giving recipes saying 'sauté an onion in a t-fal
>triple-ply frying pan' like it was the pillsbury bake-off or something.

I guess it's all in the perspective.
http://i34.tinypic.com/5ckety.jpg

I don't mind when someone asks if one brand of enameled cast iron is
any better than another, but for someone to write I made this dish
with my brand X pan is completely different. You might as well be
telling me you went jogging in your Asics yesterday and going to work
in your Aldos today. TMI!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> of course skill is the most important. but while 'it's a poor workman who
> blames his tools,' good tools can make things a little easier.

There's specialized tools that can make automotive repairs a lot easier
so I know this to be true but come on! This is freaking cooking - one of
man's earliest activities and we're talking freaking pots and pans here. :-)

I bought a 3-qt saucepan with glass cover last night and it's a beauty
for $13. Heavy anodized aluminum with a sturdy riveted handle. I'd be
stupid to pay more and unwise to buy a regular saucepan for less.

> your pal,
> blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:45:31 -0700, sf wrote:

>I don't mind when someone asks if one brand of enameled cast iron is
>any better than another, but for someone to write I made this dish
>with my brand X pan is completely different. You might as well be
>telling me you went jogging in your Asics yesterday and going to work
>in your Aldos today. TMI!

Exactly. I'm the OP, and I just wanted to know if anybody owned either
or both of these pots, and if they'd had any trouble with them. I got
lots of great advice, and decided to get the Lodge red because my wife
liked the color best and there wasn't any other particularly
compelling reason not to choose that pot! I actually liked the color,
too, and since both pots perform about the same, why not?

BTW, I work out in my New Balance tennies, and go to work in my Savane
slacks which I buy from a terrific men's store - - - called Sam's
Club!
--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"EZ Larry" > wrote in message
> decided to get the Lodge red because my wife
> liked the color best

A perfectly logical reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:41:56 -0500, EZ Larry
> wrote:

> I got
>lots of great advice, and decided to get the Lodge red because my wife
>liked the color best and there wasn't any other particularly
>compelling reason not to choose that pot! I actually liked the color,
>too, and since both pots perform about the same, why not?

I'm glad you got the red. It looks very nice at DD's place.

>BTW, I work out in my New Balance tennies, and go to work in my Savane
>slacks which I buy from a terrific men's store - - - called Sam's
>Club!

Aaak, a Walmart subsidiary! IMO, Walmart is the evil empire.

It's bad enough that we've outsourced practically everything to China,
but when the 4 richest people in the world take home most of their
company profits (how much money does one person need to live in the
highest of styles?) and don't pay treat their employees with respect -
I have a problem.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:00:25 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"EZ Larry" > wrote in message
>> decided to get the Lodge red because my wife
>> liked the color best

>A perfectly logical reason.

Not only that, it's a wise choice for *him*.
LOLOL

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:45:31 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:09:19 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>>
>>i think the brand conveys a fair amount of information. and i don't think
>>people are boasting about owning lodge, which isn't all that expensive.
>>
>>i mean, people aren't giving recipes saying 'sauté an onion in a t-fal
>>triple-ply frying pan' like it was the pillsbury bake-off or something.
>>

> I guess it's all in the perspective.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/5ckety.jpg
>
> I don't mind when someone asks if one brand of enameled cast iron is
> any better than another, but for someone to write I made this dish
> with my brand X pan is completely different. You might as well be
> telling me you went jogging in your Asics yesterday and going to work
> in your Aldos today. TMI!

as i said, i haven't noticed people doing that. they'll name brands they
got a deal on, or give advice when asked. or maybe give a report on the
first use of a pan.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> IMO, Walmart is the evil empire.
> It's bad enough that we've outsourced practically everything to China,
> but when the 4 richest people in the world take home most of their
> company profits (how much money does one person need to live in the
> highest of styles?) and don't pay treat their employees with respect -
> I have a problem.

Hey, in Denver one of the sib spouses owns the Avalanche (NHL) and the
Nuggets (NBA) and after he has to pay all those high athletic salaries,
there's not much left for the stock clerks and checkout people in the
stores. Let's get our priorities straight, huh?

:-(
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:11:26 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:45:31 -0700, sf wrote:

>> I don't mind when someone asks if one brand of enameled cast iron is
>> any better than another, but for someone to write I made this dish
>> with my brand X pan is completely different. You might as well be
>> telling me you went jogging in your Asics yesterday and going to work
>> in your Aldos today. TMI!

>as i said, i haven't noticed people doing that. they'll name brands they
>got a deal on, or give advice when asked. or maybe give a report on the
>first use of a pan.

You and I haven't been reading the same posts, in that case.

Mae West