Lodge Color or Tramontina?

Old 15-08-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lodge Color or Tramontina?

I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
most helpful.

If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks in advance, folks.

--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Old 15-08-2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

EZ Larry wrote:
I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
most helpful.

If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks in advance, folks.

I've no experience with the enameled cast iron pots but one my Mom had
years ago got chipped rather easily. I usually stick with cast iron
skillets and pots that are just that, cast iron. Easy enough to season
or re season and they don't chip.
Old 15-08-2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:23:52 -0500, EZ Larry
wrote:

I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
most helpful.

If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Great prices! I vote for blue, but red may be more your style. DD
has some red pieces (I think her kitchen aide mixer is red too) in her
kitchen. One is a red dutch oven, which is usually her stove. It's
a happy look.

Mae West
Old 15-08-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&search....

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
ovens.
Old 15-08-2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 8:23*am, EZ Larry wrote:
I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&search....

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

Has anybody used either or both of these? Any recommendations would be
most helpful.

If I won the lottery, I'd by Le Creuset. But, with only two of us to
cook for, I would use a dutch oven this size maybe 3 or 4 times a
year, and I can't justify a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks in advance, folks.

--
EZ Larry from St. Louis

Larry,
Cook's Illustrated magzine did a rating/review on those pots sometime
in the last few months. They do have a website but I don't know about
archives. If I remember correctly, they like Tremontina best for the
performance and the price.
Lynn in Fargo
Old 15-08-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:50:35 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
wrote:

Larry,
Cook's Illustrated magzine did a rating/review on those pots sometime
in the last few months. They do have a website but I don't know about
archives. If I remember correctly, they like Tremontina best for the
performance and the price.
Lynn in Fargo

Many thanks, Lynn. I'm a member, so I'll go online and read the
review.
--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Old 15-08-2008, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:22:37 -0500, EZ Larry
wrote:

Many thanks, Lynn. I'm a member, so I'll go online and read the
review.

And, here it is:

"Update: January, 2008

Shelling out hundreds of dollars for a Dutch oven is less necessary
than ever. We put two new low-cost models, one from Tramontina
($39.86) and another from Lodge ($49.86), to the test and liked what
we found. Both are crafted from enameled cast iron, and both produced
glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew; fluffy white rice; and
crispy French fries in the test kitchen. But the Tramontina oven's
larger capacity (6.5 quarts to the Lodge's 6 quarts) and even lower
price made it our preferred choice. We recommend the Tramontina as an
inexpensive alternative to our favorite 71/4-quart Dutch oven by Le
Creuset ($229.95)."

So, it appears that the reason for the Tramontina is that it's
slightly larger and ten bucks cheaper. Both performed about as well.
--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Old 15-08-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

EZ Larry wrote:

"We put two new low-cost models, one from Tramontina
($39.86) and another from Lodge ($49.86), to the test and liked what
we found. Both are crafted from enameled cast iron, and both produced
glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew;"

Neither glossy nor Belgian are among my criteria for beef stew.

Steve
Old 15-08-2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a red Le Creuset dutch oven that I've used for years and I love
it, although it's stained inside, I also have generic pieces I love just
as much, that have never stained. I'm sure you'll like the Lodge brand.
My pieces are very heavy and generally just live on the stove top and
don't get put away after washing. None of them have ever chipped at
all, and I'm not delicate with them. They've even gone through the
dishwasher a few times.

One of the things I like about this type of cookware is it's ability to
hold heat. I can heat something up at home and drive it up to church or
a pot luck and the contents are still steaming 1/2 hour later. To
simmer sauce or a stew, I place it on the smaller back burner of my gas
stove and just ignore it for the afternoon.

Go for whatever piece you like best, I've seen the Lodge items and
they're very pretty. It isn't necessary to buy Le Creuset brand, as far
as I'm concerned, there's no difference in their performance. I bought
my large Le Creuset dutch oven at Home Goods for $79,95, which was a
great price, even cheaper than the Le Creuset outlet store. I've found
all the rest of my Le Creuset pieces at yard sales.

QVC also has a lot of this type of cookware at great prices.

Denise

Old 15-08-2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:13:37 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

I usually stick with cast iron
skillets and pots that are just that, cast iron. Easy enough to season
or re season and they don't chip.

I can use them at home year round and then in the summer, take them on
camping trips. Even made pineapple upside down cake in a Lodge dutch
oven on a campfire. Lots of people were coming around from the
campsite wondering what smells so good. They were eating hot dogs
and chips while we had Steak au Poivre and pineapple upside down
cake.

Old 16-08-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"EZ Larry" wrote in message
I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....x=18&Find.y=2

Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift this
past Christmas and love it.

Mary

Old 16-08-2008, 04:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 15 Aug 2008 07:42:40p, MareCat told us...

"EZ Larry" wrote in message
I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...nt=0&search_qu
ery=lodge+color&ic=48_0&Find.x=18&Find.y=2

Another vote for Lodge here. I received the Lodge in blue as a gift this
past Christmas and love it.

Mary

I don't really need any more enamelled cast iron cookware. My Le Creuset
will certainly outlive me, but the prices on the Lodge cookware are
astronomically lower than Le Creuset and they look like terrific pieces.
If I were to buy more, it would probably be Lodge.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 2dys 4hrs 1mins
Study demonology with an enemy this Sunday.
Old 16-08-2008, 07:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon
wrote:

On Aug 15, 9:23?am, EZ Larry wrote:
I had a dutch oven many years ago, but no longer, and my wife's
35-year-old RevereWare is just a tad too small.

My local Walmart has the Lodge Color 6-quart in blue, green, and red:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&search...

Or, I could order the Tramontina 6.5 qt. in green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5716477

I don't care what they call them, those are sauce pots, not Dutch
ovens.

Not arguing with your conclusion (was that negative?).

However I'd like to see a jpg (including brand and style) of what you
consider an enameled cast iron dutch oven.

Mae West
Old 16-08-2008, 07:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:29:43 -0400, Billy Hereiam@hotmaildotcom
wrote:

Lots of people were coming around from the
campsite wondering what smells so good. They were eating hot dogs
and chips while we had Steak au Poivre and pineapple upside down
cake.

Gosh, that reminds me of the "good old days" when my BIL and exSIL
were still married. She made every camping trip into an unforgettable
(good) taste experience!

Keep up the good work.... you might convert the masses!

Mae West
Old 16-08-2008, 07:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Did you borrow them or buy them and return what you didn't like?

Mae West