Recipes from ‘whats in the refrigerator’ list

Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipes from ‘whats in the refrigerator’ list

Hi folks,

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

Many thanks…
Old 09-08-2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rasstag" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi folks,

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

Many thanks…

I know the Kraft Foods site does that, and if one sitre doies it there are
probably others as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

Old 09-08-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Aug 9, 10:41*am, Rasstag wrote:

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. *Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

You don't need to limit yourself to one recipe site. Just put
[recipe: x y z] into google, where x, y, z are your ingredients and it
will return lots of sites to look at. If you want to be sure the
listings include a particular ingredient, put a plus sign in front of
it. -aem
Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rasstag" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

Many thanks…

The easiest way is to list the ingredients you have and Google the list.
More often than not you'll fins several recipes or dishes.

As example how about anchovies and peas. Unlikely? Right.

Try to Google them.

Dimitri

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 13:15:21 -0700 (PDT), aem
wrote:

You don't need to limit yourself to one recipe site. Just put
[recipe: x y z] into google, where x, y, z are your ingredients and it
will return lots of sites to look at. If you want to be sure the
listings include a particular ingredient, put a plus sign in front of
it. -aem

I didn't think google does boolian searches... well, it doesn't
respond to "not".

Mae West
Old 09-08-2008, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Aug 9, 1:45 pm, sf wrote:

I didn't think google does boolian searches... well, it doesn't
respond to "not".

Google doesn't use AND and NOT for Boolean searches, it uses the plus
sign and the minus sign. Using them is the second most useful way to
narrow searches usefully. Most useful, imho, is using quotation marks
to delimit a phrase or term instead of each individual word in the
phrase. For example:

[ Olympics village food nutrition ] = 91,700 hits
[ "Olympics village" food nutrition ] = 51 hits
[ "Olympics vllage" -food +nutrition = 10 hits

The plus and minus sign operators help a lot when doing what the OP
was asking about. -aem

Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" wrote in message

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

LOL! This is a keeper. I tried it out and one of my choices is this:

"So you only have coffee? Well make a cup, ponder on life and why you have
no food in the house."

Cheryl (who will do shopping tomorrow if I don't starve tonight)

Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:22:16 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

LOL! This is a keeper.

Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Damsel is taking care of her SO who has been seriously sick and in and out
of hospitals.

kili

Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

LOL! This is a keeper.

Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, so I'll pass on trying to answer.

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

LOL! This is a keeper.

Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

One who eats 'food' as opposed to Cheerios and rice cakes :P

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy Hereiam@hotmaildotcom wrote in
:

wrote:

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

LOL! This is a keeper.

Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

Actually, peanut butter on a rice cake with some anchovy doesn't sound
bad. I'd add shredded coconut and cilantro if I had any to utilize in
that scenario :

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

phrase. For example:

[ Olympics village food nutrition ] = 91,700 hits
[ "Olympics village" food nutrition ] = 51 hits
[ "Olympics vllage" -food +nutrition = 10 hits

The plus and minus sign operators help a lot when doing what the OP
was asking about. -aem

I'll put that in my memory bank... got any other useful tips for the
searches?

Mae West
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:40:33 -0400, Billy Hereiam@hotmaildotcom
wrote:

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Please enlighten me... why is she an icon to you?

Mae West