FoodBanter.com

-   -   Recipes from ‘whats in the refrigerator’ list (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/159976-recipes-whats-refrigerator-list.html)

Rasstag 09-08-2008 06:41 PM

Recipes from ‘whats in the refrigerator’ list

Hi folks,

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

Many thanks…

Giusi[_2_] 09-08-2008 08:02 PM

"Rasstag" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi folks,

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

Many thanks…

I know the Kraft Foods site does that, and if one sitre doies it there are
probably others as well.

Kswck 09-08-2008 09:14 PM

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

aem 09-08-2008 09:15 PM

On Aug 9, 10:41*am, Rasstag > wrote:

> Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
> potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
> hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
> recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.
>
> I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
> find it. *Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

You don't need to limit yourself to one recipe site. Just put
[recipe: x y z] into google, where x, y, z are your ingredients and it
will return lots of sites to look at. If you want to be sure the
listings include a particular ingredient, put a plus sign in front of
it. -aem

Dimitri 09-08-2008 09:43 PM

"Rasstag" > wrote in message
Hi folks,

Some time ago I found a recipe site which would let you enter
potential ‘ingredients’ into a search list (like what you may have on
hand in the pantry and refrigerator) and it would output a list of
recipes which could be made from what was avaliable.

I thought that capability was on a site somewhere… but darn if I can
find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction??

Many thanks…

The easiest way is to list the ingredients you have and Google the list.
More often than not you'll fins several recipes or dishes.

As example how about anchovies and peas. Unlikely? Right.

Try to Google them.

Dimitri

sf[_3_] 09-08-2008 09:45 PM

Recipes from ‘whats in the refrigerator’ list

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 13:15:21 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>You don't need to limit yourself to one recipe site. Just put
>[recipe: x y z] into google, where x, y, z are your ingredients and it
>will return lots of sites to look at. If you want to be sure the
>listings include a particular ingredient, put a plus sign in front of
>it. -aem

I didn't think google does boolian searches... well, it doesn't
respond to "not".

Mae West

aem 09-08-2008 10:37 PM

On Aug 9, 1:45 pm, sf wrote:

> I didn't think google does boolian searches... well, it doesn't
> respond to "not".

Google doesn't use AND and NOT for Boolean searches, it uses the plus
sign and the minus sign. Using them is the second most useful way to
narrow searches usefully. Most useful, imho, is using quotation marks
to delimit a phrase or term instead of each individual word in the
phrase. For example:

[ Olympics village food nutrition ] = 91,700 hits
[ "Olympics village" food nutrition ] = 51 hits
[ "Olympics vllage" -food +nutrition = 10 hits

The plus and minus sign operators help a lot when doing what the OP
was asking about. -aem

Cheryl[_4_] 09-08-2008 11:22 PM

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

LOL! This is a keeper. I tried it out and one of my choices is this:

"So you only have coffee? Well make a cup, ponder on life and why you have
no food in the house."

Cheryl (who will do shopping tomorrow if I don't starve tonight)

Billy[_3_] 09-08-2008 11:40 PM

Recipes from 'whats in the refrigerator' list

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:22:16 -0400, "Cheryl"
> wrote:

>> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html
>>

>LOL! This is a keeper.

Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

kilikini 09-08-2008 11:58 PM

Billy wrote:

> I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Damsel is taking care of her SO who has been seriously sick and in and out
of hospitals.

kili

Cheryl[_4_] 10-08-2008 12:23 AM

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:22:16 -0400, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>

>>> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html
>>>

>>LOL! This is a keeper.

> Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
> know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
> butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, so I'll pass on trying to answer. :)

Arri London 10-08-2008 04:11 AM

Billy wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:22:16 -0400, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>
> >> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html
> >>

> >LOL! This is a keeper.

> Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
> know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
> butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

One who eats 'food' as opposed to Cheerios and rice cakes :P

sarah gray 10-08-2008 04:17 AM

:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:22:16 -0400, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>

>>> http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html
>>>

>>LOL! This is a keeper.

> Shocking.... the few among us "claim" to be foodies...and we don't
> know what to cook with a half box of Cherios, anchovie paste, peanut
> butter and a rice cake? What kind of "foodie" are you?

Actually, peanut butter on a rice cake with some anchovy doesn't sound
bad. I'd add shredded coconut and cilantro if I had any to utilize in
that scenario :>

sf[_3_] 10-08-2008 07:51 AM

Recipes from ‘whats in the refrigerator’ list

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:37:06 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Aug 9, 1:45 pm, sf wrote:
>>
>> I didn't think google does boolian searches... well, it doesn't
>> respond to "not".
>>

>Google doesn't use AND and NOT for Boolean searches, it uses the plus
>sign and the minus sign. Using them is the second most useful way to
>narrow searches usefully. Most useful, imho, is using quotation marks
>to delimit a phrase or term instead of each individual word in the
>phrase. For example:
>
> [ Olympics village food nutrition ] = 91,700 hits
> [ "Olympics village" food nutrition ] = 51 hits
> [ "Olympics vllage" -food +nutrition = 10 hits
>
>The plus and minus sign operators help a lot when doing what the OP
>was asking about. -aem

I'll put that in my memory bank... got any other useful tips for the
searches? :)

Mae West

sf[_3_] 10-08-2008 08:03 AM

Recipes from 'whats in the refrigerator' list

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:40:33 -0400, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom>
wrote:

>I recall the good old days of Damsel....and where is she?

Please enlighten me... why is she an icon to you?

Mae West

sf[_3_] 10-08-2008 08:11 AM

Recipes from 'whats in the refrigerator' list

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 03:17:53 GMT, sarah gray >
wrote:

>Actually, peanut butter on a rice cake with some anchovy doesn't sound
>bad. I'd add shredded coconut and cilantro if I had any to utilize in
>that scenario :>

Peanut butter and rice cake, OK. Sorry, sweetie... the rest is not on
my "to do" list (ever). LOL!

Mae West

sandi 10-08-2008 08:23 AM

sf wrote in :

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:37:06 -0700 (PDT), aem
> > wrote:
>
>>On Aug 9, 1:45 pm, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't think google does boolian searches... well, it
>>> doesn't respond to "not".
>>>

>>Google doesn't use AND and NOT for Boolean searches, it uses
>>the plus sign and the minus sign. Using them is the second
>>most useful way to narrow searches usefully. Most useful,
>>imho, is using quotation marks to delimit a phrase or term
>>instead of each individual word in the phrase. For example:
>>
>> [ Olympics village food nutrition ] = 91,700 hits
>> [ "Olympics village" food nutrition ] = 51 hits
>> [ "Olympics vllage" -food +nutrition = 10 hits
>>
>>The plus and minus sign operators help a lot when doing what
>>the OP was asking about. -aem

> I'll put that in my memory bank... got any other useful tips
> for the searches? :)

Here's a few.
http://googlemyway.com/searchgoogle.php

blake murphy[_2_] 10-08-2008 05:16 PM

On 10 Aug 2008 07:23:47 GMT, sandi wrote:

> sf wrote in :
>
>> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:37:06 -0700 (PDT), aem
>> > wrote:

>>>Google doesn't use AND and NOT for Boolean searches, it uses
>>>the plus sign and the minus sign. Using them is the second
>>>most useful way to narrow searches usefully. Most useful,
>>>imho, is using quotation marks to delimit a phrase or term
>>>instead of each individual word in the phrase. For example:
>>>
>>> [ Olympics village food nutrition ] = 91,700 hits
>>> [ "Olympics village" food nutrition ] = 51 hits
>>> [ "Olympics vllage" -food +nutrition = 10 hits
>>>
>>>The plus and minus sign operators help a lot when doing what
>>>the OP was asking about. -aem

>> I'll put that in my memory bank... got any other useful tips
>> for the searches? :)

> Here's a few.
> http://googlemyway.com/searchgoogle.php

those are good tips, but you can always go to the 'advanced' search page:

<http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en>

....where you can do these sorts of things without having to remember the
syntax for them.

your pal,
blake