Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what to do with leftover chimichurri?

Hi all. I have tons of leftover chimichurri from an Argentinian grilling
marathon with a friend last night. I'm wondering how best to preserve
it? Keep it in the fridge, vacuum seal it or freeze it in ice cube
trays? I imagine the fresh parsley, garlic and oil might make the
aromatic blend susceptible to spoilage sooner than we can use it.

Thanks,
Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:34:15 GMT, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

>Hi all. I have tons of leftover chimichurri from an Argentinian grilling
>marathon with a friend last night. I'm wondering how best to preserve
>it? Keep it in the fridge, vacuum seal it or freeze it in ice cube
>trays? I imagine the fresh parsley, garlic and oil might make the
>aromatic blend susceptible to spoilage sooner than we can use it.

I wish I had your problem!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:34:15p, Orlando Enrique Fiol told us...

> Hi all. I have tons of leftover chimichurri from an Argentinian grilling
> marathon with a friend last night. I'm wondering how best to preserve
> it? Keep it in the fridge, vacuum seal it or freeze it in ice cube
> trays? I imagine the fresh parsley, garlic and oil might make the
> aromatic blend susceptible to spoilage sooner than we can use it.
>
> Thanks,
> Orlando

Have a party!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:

> Hi all. I have tons of leftover chimichurri from an Argentinian grilling
> marathon with a friend last night. I'm wondering how best to preserve
> it? Keep it in the fridge, vacuum seal it or freeze it in ice cube
> trays? I imagine the fresh parsley, garlic and oil might make the
> aromatic blend susceptible to spoilage sooner than we can use it.
>
> Thanks,
> Orlando

You could probably freeze it, but we've never tried. We made
chimichurri the other night, and I used the remainder as dressing for
salads. Use it the same way you would use pesto sauce.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 25, 5:34*pm, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
> Hi all. I have tons of leftover chimichurri from an Argentinian grilling
> marathon with a friend last night. I'm wondering how best to preserve
> it? Keep it in the fridge, vacuum seal it or freeze it in ice cube
> trays? I imagine the fresh parsley, garlic and oil might make the
> aromatic blend susceptible to spoilage sooner than we can use it.

Freezing will keep it from spoiling but I don't recommend it. Its
essence is fresh parsley, a wonderful thing that imho loses its magic
quickly. Even more than pesto, this is a sauce that cries to be used
as soon after it's made as possible. I don't even like to refrigerate
it. Use what you can today and toss the rest. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:34:15 GMT, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

>Hi all. I have tons of leftover chimichurri from an Argentinian grilling
>marathon with a friend last night. I'm wondering how best to preserve
>it? Keep it in the fridge, vacuum seal it or freeze it in ice cube
>trays? I imagine the fresh parsley, garlic and oil might make the
>aromatic blend susceptible to spoilage sooner than we can use it.

I would keep some in the refrigerator to play around with -- omelet,
bruschetta, flavor mayo or cream cheese for a sandwich spread or dip,
dress a potato salad. I would freeze the rest. I might try covering
some chicken breasts or fish filets with plenty of chimichurri and
freezing it in a freezer bag.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 26, 12:08*pm, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
> wrote:
> >Freezing will keep it from spoiling but I don't recommend it. *Its
> >essence is fresh parsley, a wonderful thing that imho loses its magic
> >quickly. *Even more than pesto, this is a sauce that cries to be used
> >as soon after it's made as possible. *I don't even like to refrigerate
> >it. *Use what you can today and toss the rest. * * -aem

> It tasted better last night than the previous night when it was made.
> I'd been advised to let it sit and mature, but didn't have time. Might
> it taste even better today?

I doubt it, but it may be a matter of personal taste. I think it's
best about an hour after it's been made, left at room temp. That's
ample time for it to blend, imho. After a night or longer in the
fridge the parsley will be old, will have completely lost its fresh
zing, and the red pepper will get hotter. I make it quite hot in the
first place so don't want it hotter. -aem