Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Iced Tea=Kidneystones?

I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
other night. Is anything safe??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

Probably most things are safe, taken in moderation. It doesn't pay to
be a total pig about any one food or drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
>I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

No.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

Nope. May as well shoot yourself in the head now and save the expense of
dying in the hospital....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 1:31*pm, George Cebulka > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> > iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> > high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> > interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> > other night. Is anything safe??

> Nope. May as well shoot yourself in the head now and save the expense of
> dying in the hospital....

I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough! When I was a kid, we had iced tea
instead of koolaid, and as I write this, I'm drinking sweetened tea.
Just thought it was interesting...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

There are five different types of kidney stones. Each person who gets
them needs to identify what type they have so as to determine what they
need to do to avoid more. They're often given little fine mesh
strainers to pee through to collect any passed stone material for testing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 1:49*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> > iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> > high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> > interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> > other night. Is anything safe??

> There are five different types of kidney stones. Each person who gets
> them needs to identify what type they have so as to determine what they
> need to do to avoid more. *They're often given little fine mesh
> strainers to pee through to collect any passed stone material for testing..

Yep- that's what my co- worker has to do. I guess he's already passed
2 with 1 to go. I also heard that men were 4 times more likely to get
them. That's gotta be pretty painful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> merryb wrote:
>> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>> other night. Is anything safe??

> There are five different types of kidney stones. Each person who gets
> them needs to identify what type they have so as to determine what they
> need to do to avoid more. They're often given little fine mesh
> strainers to pee through to collect any passed stone material for testing.

I've had about three dozen noticeable stones. Three surgeries, and a lot
of projectiles.

Another thing to watch is caffeine (as in, like, tea); one or more of
my doctors over the years has mentioned that with some people, caffeine
can set up some series of chemical reactions that, in the end, can promote
the formation of kidney stones.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
>I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

Hubby has now acquired the name 'Joe Quarry' ,compliments of the
Flintstones, thanks to his now becoming a cash cow for the local urologists
around these parts. Goomba is right in that you must get these things (the
stones) analyzed in order to determine what caused them. In Ol' Quarry's
case, most of his calcinates (what they call the little buggers) are made
from salicilic acid, found in his love and devotion to iced tea. Doc told
him to cut down on the tea and give water a try.....nice try Doc. He did
slow down from two gallons to around one a day now, but he still gets them.
I thought the last one would cause his tea addiction to slow down (it was
7mm in diameter and could not be zapped -lithotripsy - they had to go the
'rotorooter' route and go in after it with a laser). His one kidney was 90%
blocked and what was to be a 45 minute out patient procedure turned into a 4
hour deal with an overnight in recovery. Still, when he came to, he croaked
for a glass of tea as his throat was dry...........I remind him of this when
he bitches about his sister who has asthma trying to light her smoke away
from her oxygen tank...
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
>> merryb wrote:
>>> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>>> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>>> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>>> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>>> other night. Is anything safe??

>> There are five different types of kidney stones. Each person who gets
>> them needs to identify what type they have so as to determine what they
>> need to do to avoid more. They're often given little fine mesh
>> strainers to pee through to collect any passed stone material for testing.

> I've had about three dozen noticeable stones. Three surgeries, and a lot
> of projectiles.
>
> Another thing to watch is caffeine (as in, like, tea); one or more of
> my doctors over the years has mentioned that with some people, caffeine
> can set up some series of chemical reactions that, in the end, can promote
> the formation of kidney stones.

You are what you eat, and sharks favor beach apes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Another thing to watch is caffeine (as in, like, tea); one or more of
> my doctors over the years has mentioned that with some people, caffeine
> can set up some series of chemical reactions that, in the end, can promote
> the formation of kidney stones.

Possibly secondary to the diuretic affects (dehydrating you)??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Another thing to watch is caffeine (as in, like, tea); one or more of
>> my doctors over the years has mentioned that with some people, caffeine
>> can set up some series of chemical reactions that, in the end, can promote
>> the formation of kidney stones.

> Possibly secondary to the diuretic affects (dehydrating you)??

Not the way it was explained, no.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:

> Is anything safe??

Pbbt.

No.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> I've had about three dozen noticeable stones. Three surgeries, and a lot
> of projectiles.

I went to the bathroom once and collapsed in pain, holding my peepee
for a half an hour (didn't help but felt comfortable), leaning
against the wall of the bathroom with the shower curtain and rod
draped over me since that's what I grabbed when I fell. It was hard
to explain when my female housemates walked in needing to use the
facilities.

Never did find out what it was, but I was afraid to pee for the next
18 hours. I peed fine the next round <shrug>.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vitamin C (was: Iced Tea=Kidneystones?)

merryb wrote:

> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

Certainly not vitamin C.

J Nutr. 2005 Jul;135(7):1673-7.
Ascorbate increases human oxaluria and kidney stone risk.
Massey LK, Liebman M, Kynast-Gales SA.
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition,
Washington State University, Spokane,WA.

Currently, the recommended upper limit for
ascorbic acid (AA) intake is 2000 mg/d. However,
because AA is endogenously converted to oxalate
and appears to increase the absorption of
dietary oxalate, supplementation may increase
the risk of kidney stones. The effect of AA
supplementation on urinary oxalate was studied
in a randomized, crossover, controlled design in
which subjects consumed a controlled diet in a
university metabolic unit. Stoneformers (n = 29;
SF) and age- and gender-matched non-stoneformers
(n = 19; NSF) consumed 1000 mg AA
twice each day with each morning and evening
meal for 6 d (treatment A), and no AA for 6 d
(treatment N) in random order. After 5 d of
adaptation to a low-oxalate diet, participants lived
for 24 h in a metabolic unit, during which they
were given 136 mg oxalate, including 18 mg
(13)C(2) oxalic acid, 2 h before breakfast;
they then consumed a controlled very low-oxalate
diet for 24 h. Of the 48 participants, 19
(12 stoneformers, 7 non-stoneformers) were identified
as responders, defined by an increase in 24-h
total oxalate excretion > 10% after treatment A
compared with N. Responders had a greater 24-h
Tiselius Risk Index (TRI) with AA
supplementation (1.10 +/- 0.66 treatment A vs.
0.76 +/- 0.42 treatment N) because of a 31%
increase in the percentage of oxalate absorption
(10.5 +/- 3.2% treatment A vs. 8.0 +/- 2.4%
treatment N) and a 39% increase in endogenous
oxalate synthesis with treatment A than during
treatment N (544 +/- 131 A vs. 391 +/- 71 umol/d N).
The 1000 mg AA twice each day
increased urinary oxalate and TRI for calcium
oxalate kidney stones in 40% of participants,
both stoneformers and non-stoneformers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> I've had about three dozen noticeable stones. Three surgeries, and a lot
>> of projectiles.

> I went to the bathroom once and collapsed in pain, holding my peepee
> for a half an hour (didn't help but felt comfortable), leaning
> against the wall of the bathroom with the shower curtain and rod
> draped over me since that's what I grabbed when I fell. It was hard
> to explain when my female housemates walked in needing to use the
> facilities.
>
> Never did find out what it was, but I was afraid to pee for the next
> 18 hours. I peed fine the next round <shrug>.

I had my largest stone get stuck in that part of my body once, for three
days. Didn't quite block all the flow. Shot three days of a crafts show
for HGTV with it there. It was nice when it came out.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/stone_2005_sm.jpg

It would be a better world if they weren't jagged crystals.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 24 Jul 2008 05:54:28p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>
>>> I've had about three dozen noticeable stones. Three surgeries, and a

lot
>>> of projectiles.

>> I went to the bathroom once and collapsed in pain, holding my peepee
>> for a half an hour (didn't help but felt comfortable), leaning
>> against the wall of the bathroom with the shower curtain and rod
>> draped over me since that's what I grabbed when I fell. It was hard
>> to explain when my female housemates walked in needing to use the
>> facilities.
>>
>> Never did find out what it was, but I was afraid to pee for the next 18
>> hours. I peed fine the next round <shrug>.

> I had my largest stone get stuck in that part of my body once, for three
> days. Didn't quite block all the flow. Shot three days of a crafts show
> for HGTV with it there. It was nice when it came out.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/stone_2005_sm.jpg

UGH!

> It would be a better world if they weren't jagged crystals.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

If you think about it, all life ends in death....

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote:

> merryb wrote:
>> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>> other night. Is anything safe??

> If you think about it, all life ends in death....

I vote the best Taa-daHH-..DUMPT!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 24 Jul 2008 05:54:28p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

> lot
>>>
>>> I went to the bathroom once and collapsed in pain, holding my peepee
>>> for a half an hour (didn't help but felt comfortable), leaning against
>>> the wall of the bathroom with the shower curtain and rod draped over
>>> me since that's what I grabbed when I fell. It was hard to explain
>>> when my female housemates walked in needing to use the facilities.
>>>
>>> Never did find out what it was, but I was afraid to pee for the next
>>> 18 hours. I peed fine the next round <shrug>.

>> I had my largest stone get stuck in that part of my body once, for
>> three days. Didn't quite block all the flow. Shot three days of a
>> crafts show for HGTV with it there. It was nice when it came out.
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/stone_2005_sm.jpg

> UGH!

Round and smooth would be such a better option. Bonus: if you knew it
was coming, you could shoot the neighbor's dog that barks all the time.

It's the tearing of tissue when they're moving that hurts; they can settle
in for a while and not hurt at all. Then they move again. Then they
stop. Stopping is a mixed blessing; it feels good, but you want to pass
them, and that requires movement. I've had the route from kidney to The
Great Outdoors take a couple of months.

I mentioned three surgeries. They were, in order, 1) Going up the spout
with light and camera and a tool or two to haul a stone out. 2)
Lithotripsy -- ultrasound transducers applied to the kidney area of the
back that eventually break the stone up. 3) An attempt at going up the
spout with a laser to blow the stone up; failure; going in with tools to
haul the stone out manually (as in Example 1).

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> merryb wrote:
>> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>> other night. Is anything safe??

> If you think about it, all life ends in death....

Even if you don't think about it, it does...

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 24 Jul 2008 07:17:02p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I had my largest stone get stuck in that part of my body once, for
>>> three days. Didn't quite block all the flow. Shot three days of a
>>> crafts show for HGTV with it there. It was nice when it came out.
>>>
>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/stone_2005_sm.jpg

>> UGH!

> Round and smooth would be such a better option. Bonus: if you knew it
> was coming, you could shoot the neighbor's dog that barks all the time.
>
> It's the tearing of tissue when they're moving that hurts; they can

settle
> in for a while and not hurt at all. Then they move again. Then they
> stop. Stopping is a mixed blessing; it feels good, but you want to pass
> them, and that requires movement. I've had the route from kidney to The
> Great Outdoors take a couple of months.
>
> I mentioned three surgeries. They were, in order, 1) Going up the spout
> with light and camera and a tool or two to haul a stone out. 2)
> Lithotripsy -- ultrasound transducers applied to the kidney area of the
> back that eventually break the stone up. 3) An attempt at going up the
> spout with a laser to blow the stone up; failure; going in with tools to
> haul the stone out manually (as in Example 1).

Oh Boy! I hope you had sufficient aenesthetic!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must trample their paws on
Daddy's keyboard when he is e-mailing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 24 Jul 2008 07:17:02p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 24 Jul 2008 05:54:28p, Blinky the Shark told us...

>>> UGH!

>> Round and smooth would be such a better option. Bonus: if you knew it
>> was coming, you could shoot the neighbor's dog that barks all the time.
>>
>> It's the tearing of tissue when they're moving that hurts; they can

> settle
>> in for a while and not hurt at all. Then they move again. Then they
>> stop. Stopping is a mixed blessing; it feels good, but you want to
>> pass them, and that requires movement. I've had the route from kidney
>> to The Great Outdoors take a couple of months.
>>
>> I mentioned three surgeries. They were, in order, 1) Going up the
>> spout with light and camera and a tool or two to haul a stone out. 2)
>> Lithotripsy -- ultrasound transducers applied to the kidney area of the
>> back that eventually break the stone up. 3) An attempt at going up
>> the spout with a laser to blow the stone up; failure; going in with
>> tools to haul the stone out manually (as in Example 1).
>>

> Oh Boy! I hope you had sufficient aenesthetic!

I had generals for 1 and 3; they were OR procedures.[A] Nothing that I
can recall for the lithotripsy, which hurt like hell for the 55 minutes of
the procedure. We're in the wrong businesses -- the bill for those 55
minutes of machine time was over $6,000.

[A] Surgery 1 happened was while I was on flippin' *vacation*, traveling
by car. And it wasn't successful, come to think of it; they couldn't get
it. They discharged me the next day and said, "We hope it passes on its
own." That night it did, in the next motel we stayed at.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> There are five different types of kidney stones. Each person who gets
> them needs to identify what type they have so as to determine what they
> need to do to avoid more. They're often given little fine mesh
> strainers to pee through to collect any passed stone material for testing.

I didn't need to know what caused my stone.
I was dieting, and eating a smoked duck/pasta/mustard/SPINACH
salad every day. I'd use a whole head of spinach, so I was
eating a lot of spinach. Lost a ton of weight.

Then one night, I noticed a pain in my side. I assumed
the pain was from my bed or sleeping position, but unlike
musculoskeletal pain, the pain doesn't go away or diminish
if you adjust your position. The next day at work,
it got worse, though still quite bearable. Driving
home from work, it got worse, and it started pulsing.
That's another hallmark of a stone.

Suddenly, it was gone. I think I felt it coming out
the next time I pee'ed, but I never saw it.

Based on what I've heard about stones, I guess I'm
lucky. It was never a serious pain. My anxiety about
what it was and what would happen next was far worse
than the pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
merryb > wrote:

> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

The things we call "food" are merely things that nourish us while not
killing us quickly.

Nothing on earth pops out of the ground bearing a sign reading: "God
says this is safe for Humans to eat".

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
>I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

No.

I learned recently (from one of the guys who remodeled our kitchen) that
even granite countertops might be potentially hazardous to your health.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...&oref= slogin

Mary--who's glad she selected Silestone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:02:28 -0400, "MareCat"
> wrote:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
>>I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>> other night. Is anything safe??

>No.
>
>I learned recently (from one of the guys who remodeled our kitchen) that
>even granite countertops might be potentially hazardous to your health.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...&oref= slogin
>
>Mary--who's glad she selected Silestone

Oh great! Another thing to worry about.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 06:07:06a, told us...

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:02:28 -0400, "MareCat"
> > wrote:
>
>>"merryb" > wrote in message
>>>I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>>> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>>> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>>> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>>> other night. Is anything safe??

>>No.
>>
>>I learned recently (from one of the guys who remodeled our kitchen) that
>>even granite countertops might be potentially hazardous to your health.
>>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...2&pagewanted=1
>>&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
>>
>>Mary--who's glad she selected Silestone
>>

> Oh great! Another thing to worry about.

Now I have another reason for liking my laminate countertop!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:45:27 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 25 Jul 2008 06:07:06a, told us...
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:02:28 -0400, "MareCat"
>> > wrote:

>>>No.
>>>
>>>I learned recently (from one of the guys who remodeled our kitchen) that
>>>even granite countertops might be potentially hazardous to your health.
>>>
>>>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...2&pagewanted=1
>>>&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
>>>
>>>Mary--who's glad she selected Silestone
>>>

>> Oh great! Another thing to worry about.

>Now I have another reason for liking my laminate countertop!

They have such great patterns these days! Which one did you choose?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 07:43:31a, told us...

.

>>> Oh great! Another thing to worry about.

>>Now I have another reason for liking my laminate countertop!

> They have such great patterns these days! Which one did you choose?

It looks like a fine grained black granite. The cabinets are bleached
maple.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Lesser artists borrow. Great artists steal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
> iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
> high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
> interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
> other night. Is anything safe??

Many years ago, my former research group did a study of food and dietary
oxalate absorption, which included iced tea, spinach, rhubarb, and other
high oxalate foods. The only food that came close to increasing blood
oxalate in a similar fashion to a water solution of oxalate was spinach.
Iced tea didn't make the cut. It should be noted that we do eat mixed
diets and other items in the diet (for example, calcium) can affect
oxalate absorption.

While calcium oxalate is the most common form of kidney stones, there
are many others:

uric acid
calcium phosphate
struvite, caused by urinary tract infections
cystine, an inherited form of kidney stones

It behooves a doctor to figure out what caused the stone, because there
is no one-size-fits-all approach to treatment. Drinking enough fluids
to produce at least 2 quarts of urine a day is a start. When I was
working on a new drug for patients with cystine kidney stones, we had a
patient who routinely put out well over 4 quarts of urine a day. He
only had one kidney thanks to the disease, so he was highly motivated to
keep the one he had left.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 7:39*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Round and smooth would be such a better option. *Bonus: if you knew it
> >> was coming, you could shoot the neighbor's dog that barks all the time..

> >> It's the tearing of tissue when they're moving that hurts; they can

> > settle
> >> in for a while and not hurt at all. *Then they move again. *Then they
> >> stop. *Stopping is a mixed blessing; it feels good, but you want to
> >> pass them, and that requires movement. *I've had the route from kidney
> >> to The Great Outdoors take a couple of months.

> >> I mentioned three surgeries. *They were, in order, 1) Going up the
> >> spout with light and camera and a tool or two to haul a stone out. *2)
> >> Lithotripsy -- ultrasound transducers applied to the kidney area of the
> >> back that eventually break the stone up. *3) *An attempt at going up
> >> the spout with a laser to blow the stone up; failure; going in with
> >> tools to haul the stone out manually (as in Example 1).

> > Oh Boy! *I hope you had sufficient aenesthetic!

> I had generals for 1 and 3; they were OR procedures.[A] *Nothing that I
> can recall for the lithotripsy, which hurt like hell for the 55 minutes of
> the procedure. We're in the wrong businesses -- the bill for those 55
> minutes of machine time was over $6,000.
>
> [A] Surgery 1 happened was while I was on flippin' *vacation*, traveling
> by car. *And it wasn't successful, come to think of it; they couldn't get
> it. *They discharged me the next day and said, "We hope it passes on its
> own." *That night it did, in the next motel we stayed at.
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? *http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html- Hide quoted text -

Man, you poor shark! That sounds truly horrible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:54:28 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>
>>> I've had about three dozen noticeable stones. Three surgeries, and a lot
>>> of projectiles.

>> I went to the bathroom once and collapsed in pain, holding my peepee
>> for a half an hour (didn't help but felt comfortable), leaning
>> against the wall of the bathroom with the shower curtain and rod
>> draped over me since that's what I grabbed when I fell. It was hard
>> to explain when my female housemates walked in needing to use the
>> facilities.
>>
>> Never did find out what it was, but I was afraid to pee for the next
>> 18 hours. I peed fine the next round <shrug>.

>I had my largest stone get stuck in that part of my body once, for three
>days. Didn't quite block all the flow. Shot three days of a crafts show
>for HGTV with it there. It was nice when it came out.
>
>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/stone_2005_sm.jpg

dear god.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:40:57 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>I heard this on the radio this morning. I guess if you drink a bit of
>iced tea, you are at risk for forming kidneystones. I guess tea is
>high in oxalate or oxalates, as is spinach & rhubarb. I found this
>interesting as one of my co-workers was hospitalized with them the
>other night. Is anything safe??

life is a fatal condition.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:54:28 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I went to the bathroom once and collapsed in pain, holding my peepee
>>> for a half an hour (didn't help but felt comfortable), leaning against
>>> the wall of the bathroom with the shower curtain and rod draped over me
>>> since that's what I grabbed when I fell. It was hard to explain when
>>> my female housemates walked in needing to use the facilities.
>>>
>>> Never did find out what it was, but I was afraid to pee for the next 18
>>> hours. I peed fine the next round <shrug>.

>>I had my largest stone get stuck in that part of my body once, for three
>>days. Didn't quite block all the flow. Shot three days of a crafts show
>>for HGTV with it there. It was nice when it came out.
>>
>>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/stone_2005_sm.jpg
>>

> dear god.

Most of what I said was a lot stronger.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Which tee is good test-Arizona Diet Green Iced Tea & Arizona Diet Lemon Iced Tea? Scott Dorsey Tea 0 07-12-2011 08:12 PM
iced tea [email protected] General Cooking 5 26-07-2008 10:52 PM
Iced Pu-erh? Konrad Scorciapino Tea 7 12-04-2006 01:36 PM
Iced tea Me General Cooking 12 06-07-2005 03:58 PM
Mr. Iced Tea Ed Hayes Cooking Equipment 1 05-06-2004 04:15 AM