BW

Default Question: "What's the thrill of cooking"

I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
particular question "What's the thrill of cooking?"

Is it finding new recipes, pushing your skills to the limits,
performing in front of friends, adoration from guests, new amazing
taste combinations, finding ingredients…

I am a research fellow at the Royal College of Art, England. As part
of my current work I'm trying to find out what thrills people, how and
why. My only rule is, "if it was thrilling, then I'm interested in
it". I'm aiming to create a stimulating resource of material to
inspire new design work.

As part of the process, I'm taking time to travel across the Google
User Groups and read past articles written about the thrill of that
activity. Today I'm looking at food related thrills! Some interesting
past articles have popped up in R.F.C . I'd like to know more about
your experiences of thrill related in some way to cooking.

I invite anyone at R.F.C to take a short interview. The results will
be published on the website www.chromo11.com, along with a growing
collection of other interviews from all walks of life. You can see the
interview at www.chromo11.com/interview16 along with instructions on
how to complete it. (it can be done off-line).

We can talk further in this user-group (please be patient at it takes
me a couple of days to revisit each group) - but it's most
constructive to have comments put forward in the interview format.
Even though this isn't scientific research, the interview is
constructed to help me understand your experiences.

I hope you can help, I think it'll make a fantastic edition to the
growing thrill collection.

Thanks

Brendan Walker
+44 (0)20 7590 4573
www.chromo11.com/interview16
Stark Raven

E a t i n g.
Reid

Following up to BW

>I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
>groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
>particular question "What's the thrill of cooking?"

I think the thrill is working against the clock to get a complex
meal ready for a room full of people on time and right. Pressure
in other words. Gets the adrenalin going. Eating the food is
relaxing, not thrilling, although its the best part.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Julia Altshuler

This poster is going one by one to all the usenet groups asking what the
thrill is in whatever subject is being discussed. Apparently this is
"research." While not technically spam because nothing is being sold,
and while not technically trolling because nothing inflammatory is said,
it still offends my sense of usenet etiquette because a new person gets
on a list, takes no interest in any current or past discussion, adds
nothing to the collective wisdom of the list, isn't particularly
interested in the subject that everyone else is (is only interested in
"thrill" not in cooking or quilting), starts a lot of discussion and
then leaves.

--Lia

BOB

In om,
BW > typed:
> I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
> groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
> particular question "What's the thrill of cooking?"

It's one of those things that you just have to experience. There's no way to
describe the "thrill of cooking". You either understand, or you don't.

What's the thrill in visiting numerous newsgroups and asking "What's the
thrill in...(insert the word that describes the particular newsgroup
visited)?

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> In om,
> BW > typed:
> > I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
> > groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
> > particular question "What's the thrill of cooking?"
> >

> It's one of those things that you just have to experience. There's no way

> describe the "thrill of cooking". You either understand, or you don't.
>
> What's the thrill in visiting numerous newsgroups and asking "What's the
> thrill in...(insert the word that describes the particular newsgroup
> visited)?

Jeez, it's so simple. Cooking leads to eating, which is, for most, the most
sensual and satisfying experience one can enjoy with clothes on. 'nuff
said.

Like anything else, I think the thrill in trolling is underendowed.

Jack Feely

Dimitri

"BW" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
> groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
> particular question "What's the thrill of cooking?"

There is an old saying:

"A joy shared is twice a joy."

So it is with cooking.

A gourmet meal for you alone is lonely at best. A gourmet meal shared with
others is an expression of love.

Dimitri

Sam D.

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message

> This poster is going one by one to all the usenet groups asking what the
> thrill is in whatever subject is being discussed. Apparently this is
> "research." While not technically spam because nothing is being sold,
> and while not technically trolling because nothing inflammatory is said,
> it still offends my sense of usenet etiquette because a new person gets
> on a list, takes no interest in any current or past discussion, adds
> nothing to the collective wisdom of the list, isn't particularly
> interested in the subject that everyone else is (is only interested in
> "thrill" not in cooking or quilting), starts a lot of discussion and
> then leaves.

Thanks for pointing this out. That's something that would not even have
occurred to me. But since you brought this up, my curiosity led me to follow
the same trail.

The apparent motive of this particular poster, who resides in the UK, is to
use the info he gathers as content for his web site www.chromo11.com

The website, which now contains some pretty lame content, purports to be an
effort to assist in developing better thrill rides!

Curly Sue

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:14:58 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>This poster is going one by one to all the usenet groups asking what the
>thrill is in whatever subject is being discussed. Apparently this is
>"research." While not technically spam because nothing is being sold,
>and while not technically trolling because nothing inflammatory is said,
>it still offends my sense of usenet etiquette because a new person gets
>on a list, takes no interest in any current or past discussion, adds
>nothing to the collective wisdom of the list, isn't particularly
>interested in the subject that everyone else is (is only interested in
>"thrill" not in cooking or quilting), starts a lot of discussion and
>then leaves.

Actually, I think it's great. Some new blood comes in with a new
perspective and starts a discussion -on topic, no less!- that
doesn't involve complaining about something. How refreshing :>

Sue(tm)
Julia Altshuler

Sam D. wrote:

> Thanks for pointing this out. That's something that would not even have
> occurred to me. But since you brought this up, my curiosity led me to follow
> the same trail.

The only reason I noticed is because I keep up with a quilting group.
When I saw the message there, I ignored it, noticed some regulars
answering and other regulars questioning the nature of the "research."

> The apparent motive of this particular poster, who resides in the UK, is to
> use the info he gathers as content for his web site www.chromo11.co
>
> The website, which now contains some pretty lame content, purports to be an
> effort to assist in developing better thrill rides!

Too funny! The word "thrill" takes on an entirely different meaning
when applied to "thrill of quilting" as opposed to "thrill ride,"
doesn't it?

--Lia

Reid

Following up to Curly Sue

>Actually, I think it's great. Some new blood comes in with a new
>perspective and starts a discussion -on topic, no less!- that
>doesn't involve complaining about something. How refreshing :>

Most successful newsgroups just take the topic and run with it,
who cares what the motivation is, it does not seem anything
sinister. Why not discuss the thrill of cooking rather than worry
about the motivation of the poster?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Reid

Following up to Dimitri

>A gourmet meal for you alone is lonely at best. A gourmet meal shared with
>others is an expression of love.

Yes, my wife will cook a "fancy" meal for herself, if i'm eating
alone I just do something simple, i'm not sure if that means she
is the one who really likes cooking or that we just see it as
from a different perspective. Ob I see it more from the lurve
angle :-)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
PENMART01

The thrill of cooking is in contrast to the agony of fast food.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

BW

Thanks for your comments on topic so far. I was as honest as I could
be in my original posting. It could seem a little strange that I'm
asking "what's the thrill of quilting" one week and the next I'm
asking "what's the thrill of cooking". But my interest is the subject
of thrill which runs laterally through most other interest groups.

My search is taking me far and wide - and I see this as a strength in
what I'm doing. If I were to define thrill based on one group's
experiences, it'd be pretty one dimensional.

There was a comment about the website: this is really nothing more
than a storage area where the interviews can be enjoyed by the public.
I could keep the interviews private, but I made a choice at the
beginning of the project to make my whole process public. It does
leave me open to critics; but I know it's like trying to judge a loaf
of bread by eating raw flour early in the process - there's still a
huge amount of work to do!

What I'm working on at the moment is using this growing resource of
interviews to write a "lexicon of thrill" - a design tool to help
people understand the nature of thrill and apply it to whatever
they're designing - from architecture to chocolates. This section of
the work will be released in a few months time on the site.

I have been encouraged by most responses in the group. Could any one
of you take a wee bit more time to mould your thoughts around my
specific interview questions? I hope you can, because even though I
value the comments you make here, you'll find that the interview
questions probably make you analyse your own experience of cooking in
a way you haven't thought about before.

In anticipation,

Brendan Walker
Research Fellow, Royal College of Art
+44 (0)20 7590 4573
Sylvia

Hi, Lia. You and I share another thrill, that of quilting.

If this guy comes back and does participate in the discussion, great.
If not, I can think of worse things to do with one's time than visit
different Usenet groups and get them talking about something they love.

I really like finding new tastes and combinations. I particularly like
trying recipes that seem to have odd combinations of ingredients; often
there is a REASON the combination is rarely used (yuck, IOW) but
sometimes the outcome is delicious. I also like sharing my recipes with
others once I've tested them, and have a small Email list of those who
like seeing my comments on recipes I've tested. (If I don't
particularly like a recipe, I share WHY I didn't like it -- what bothers
me might make it more enjoyable for someone else.)

I love gourmet cooking for others, as well. I get both the benefit of
enjoying good food AND the compliments of others.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Kajikit

Julia Altshuler saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told
us all about it on Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:14:45 GMT:

>Sam D. wrote:
>

>> Thanks for pointing this out. That's something that would not even have
>> occurred to me. But since you brought this up, my curiosity led me to follow
>> the same trail.

>The only reason I noticed is because I keep up with a quilting group.
>When I saw the message there, I ignored it, noticed some regulars
>answering and other regulars questioning the nature of the "research."
>

>> The apparent motive of this particular poster, who resides in the UK, is to
>> use the info he gathers as content for his web site www.chromo11.co
>>
>> The website, which now contains some pretty lame content, purports to be an
>> effort to assist in developing better thrill rides!

>Too funny! The word "thrill" takes on an entirely different meaning
>when applied to "thrill of quilting" as opposed to "thrill ride,"
>doesn't it?

LOL! The Thrill of Quilting! How's that for a book title?

btw, so far as I'm concerned the 'thrill' of cooking involves the
pleasure it gives to the senses to make good food, and to know that
you've done it YOURSELF from scratch, rather than by opening a couple
of packets or bunging something in the microwave. There's no thrill in
reheating a frozen dinner, convenient as it may be at times.

And somehow I doubt this applies to fairground rides at all - or shall
we have a 4-d simulated kitchen? Will the omelette stick to the pan?
Will the souffle fall? Will the caramalised onions burn to a crisp
before the rest of the meal is ready? And most importantly - will the
eaters enjoy their repast? :P
(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Frogleg

Thrill:

To cause to feel a sudden intense sensation; excite greatly.
To give great pleasure to; delight. See Synonyms at enrapture.
To cause to quiver, tremble, or vibrate.

I can't say I've ever vibrated when cooking or eating. The author of
'The Botany of Desire' related his infant/toddler son's reaction to
his first taste of ice cream or some other sugary treat, and reports
what could be well be called "thrill."

Outside of a competition, I don't believe there's any "thrill"
involved in cooking. There is satisfaction in learning or mastery. I
think I would be "delighted" when a molded dish un-molded
successfully, or a roast turned out properly (never gonna happen). I
am certainly "pleased" and "gratified" when guests appreciate and
compliment what I've prepared, but I'm not quivering. A new recipe is
"challenging"; much prep work is "tedious"; various kitchen disasters
are "terrifying"; working on familiar tasks can be "soothing" and
"comfortable." Nope, the thrill isn't gone -- it was never there.

"Thrill of the grill" Mike Barbecue 12 04-09-2004 11:17 PM
what the thrill of beer? BW Beer 7 28-10-2003 05:57 PM
question: "What's the thrill of baking?" BW Baking 2 28-10-2003 05:00 PM
the thrill of cooking equipment BW Cooking Equipment 0 27-10-2003 04:12 PM
the thrill of chocolate BW Chocolate 0 27-10-2003 03:18 PM