Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The scicnce of bread baking

I am planning a group technical presentation for my toastmasters group about
breadmaking. The presentation will be three speeches about different
aspects of breadmaking.

Although I will give one of the sppeches, my main role will be to plan the
presentation and act as "MC" for the presentation. I envision it as first a
speech about the history of bread, second, a very brief description of how
bread is made (this is the one I will give). Next will be speech about what
actually goes on during each step, such as what happens when bread is
kneaded, what happens when it bakes, the functions of the actual
ingredients, etc.

I am not writing the speeches, or at least I hope I am not, but I am helping
with finding some sources.

For the history, I have found the following:

http://www.botham.co.uk/bread/history1.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread has a bit on the history, but more on
the technical stuff

For the sceince:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread
http://www.botham.co.uk/bread/grain.htm
http://www.botham.co.uk/bread/characte.htm
http://www.botham.co.uk/bread/mill1.htm
http://www.botham.co.uk/bread/yeast.htm
http://www.baking911.com/howto/how_baking_works.htm
http://www.nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/food/6D.pdf\

The speeches as I envision them could probably be put together with the
information from these pages, at least I think they could, but I was
wondering if any one knows of any better pages (or books that I could use)
about the history or science of bread.

I am also considering ordering the following:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/bookreviews/breadscience

I think it would make an interesting read, at least for me, even if I
weren't preparing this speech. There are some excerpts available on-line,
and it appears that it would supercede any websites I could find though. I
have already looked at the local library, and this book is not available
there.

Has anyone read this book, or is at least familiar with it? Would it be a
good idea to order it in preparing this speech?

Brian Christiansen

Baking Bread Using A Bread Maker Jake Will N Baking 4 27-02-2010 12:21 AM
Baking Bread in the ECB! jj Barbecue 9 30-06-2009 07:13 AM
Baking Bread Bob Simon General Cooking 8 21-09-2008 06:30 PM
Am I doing it right [Baking Bread] Steve[_22_] Baking 7 19-09-2007 01:30 PM
Beginning Bread Baking Julianne General Cooking 29 18-11-2003 10:52 AM