Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy with today's offbeat breakfast

I had leftover mashed potatoes, gravy, and fried chicken in the fridge. I
beat the potatoes with an almost-equal volume of eggs for a long time to
activate the potato starch and aerate the eggs. The resulting batter was a
bit thinner than normal pancake batter, but thicker than crepe batter. I
cooked little pancakes in a bare amount of olive oil, then had them with the
leftover chicken and gravy. (I added black pepper to the gravy to spice it
up.)

I liked it *better* than biscuits with gravy! I still have some leftover
potatoes; I plan to make baked gnocchi with them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
> I had leftover mashed potatoes, gravy, and fried chicken in the
> fridge. I beat the potatoes with an almost-equal volume of eggs for a
> long time to activate the potato starch and aerate the eggs. The
> resulting batter was a bit thinner than normal pancake batter, but
> thicker than crepe batter. I cooked little pancakes in a bare amount
> of olive oil
>
> Bob

I wouldn't have used olive oil on mashed potato pancakes, but I do love them
I generally stir in a bit of grated onion and sometimes some garlic. I
suppose mine are slightly thicker (batter-wise) than yours as I have to dust
them with a little seasoned flour before pan frying them to keep them from
being too, um, batter-like. It's a great way to use up leftover mashed
potatoes

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 06:45:35p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> I had leftover mashed potatoes, gravy, and fried chicken in the fridge.
> I beat the potatoes with an almost-equal volume of eggs for a long time
> to activate the potato starch and aerate the eggs. The resulting batter
> was a bit thinner than normal pancake batter, but thicker than crepe
> batter. I cooked little pancakes in a bare amount of olive oil, then had
> them with the leftover chicken and gravy. (I added black pepper to the
> gravy to spice it up.)
>
> I liked it *better* than biscuits with gravy! I still have some leftover
> potatoes; I plan to make baked gnocchi with them.
>
> Bob

I had planned to cook a countryu breakfast this morning, but had an outside
project to do before our 105°+ temperatures hit. While working on that,
our neighbors drifted over for conversation. We had told them of a little
restaurant in Coolidge, AZ that we used to frequent when we lived in Queen
Creek, and they were interested in going. So...project over, the four of
us headed on the 40 mile treck from Mesa to Coolidge and had a meal of
fried chicken and waffles. Nice crusty chicken and crispy waffles with
whipped butter and real maple syrup. Very substantial and tasty.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:18:00 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\"" >
wrote:

>"Bob Terwilliger" >
: in rec.food.cooking

>> I had leftover mashed potatoes, gravy, and fried chicken in the
>> fridge. I beat the potatoes with an almost-equal volume of eggs for a
>> long time to activate the potato starch and aerate the eggs. The
>> resulting batter was a bit thinner than normal pancake batter, but
>> thicker than crepe batter. I cooked little pancakes in a bare amount
>> of olive oil, then had them with the leftover chicken and gravy. (I
>> added black pepper to the gravy to spice it up.)
>>
>> I liked it *better* than biscuits with gravy! I still have some
>> leftover potatoes; I plan to make baked gnocchi with them.

>Ohhh... that sounds good. I've done something very similar with the mashed.
>I put chives in them though. Good stuff but beating biscuits and gravy is
>really hard to do
>
>Michael <- also slices cold fried chicken and puts on top of field greens
>with a honey mustard dressing... I'll be damned... so that's where the
>honey goes... sheesh

well, that saves you the trouble of putting up a surveillance camera.

your pal,
blake

Today's breakfast Andy[_15_] General Cooking 41 03-08-2009 03:02 PM
Breakfast today ViLco General Cooking 44 26-07-2009 07:38 PM
Today's breakfast. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 46 01-05-2008 10:07 PM
Happy Steak & BJ Day - March 14th - It's Today! [email protected] Barbecue 0 15-03-2006 04:09 AM
Breakfast today Janet Bostwick General Cooking 0 12-10-2005 05:13 PM