Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Got favorite ribs?

Got favorite ribs?

short ribs?
beef ribs?
baby back ribs?
___ ribs?

What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.

Anyone?

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 11:44*am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Hi andy try this recipe.
Short Ribs of Beef with Orange Ginger Sauce
http://www.georgehirschliving.com/li...12/page12.html
keep on cooking!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.

I love them all, but spare ribs are easier. I rub them with slat,
pepper and garlic powder, place them in a pan sealed with foil and
baked at 300 for 1-1/2 to 2 hours then finished off on a BBQ or in the
oven with sauce. Beef short ribs can be really good if properly
braised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Baby backs are my favorite, but I also enjoy short ribs that have been
braised long and slow with a flavorful sauce. This recipe is complicated
and time consuming, but the result is so yummy. I believe it was
originally published in a California newspaper attributed to an inn
there, but I lost the references.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Estofado de Catalan

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef

5 pounds short ribs of beef -- (5 to 5 1/2)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups yellow onions -- cut into chunks (about 2
medium onions)
1 cup carrots -- cut into chunks (about 2 carrots)
1/2 cup celery -- cut into chunks (about 1 stalk of celery)
2 teaspoons mashed garlic (about 2 cloves)
2 cups red wine
1/2 cup tomato paste
8 ounces canned plum tomatoes -- cut into chunks
12 cups beef stock or good quality -- low-sodium,
store-bought beef stock
1 sprig fresh thyme

Sauce:
2 cups dry sherry
3 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest (about 2 oranges)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Gremolata:
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

To make the short ribs, preheat oven to 300 degrees. Generously salt
and pepper the ribs. In a large casserole pan, heat 4 tablespoons olive
oil over high heat. Add the ribs and brown on all sides until golden,
about 4-5 minutes. Remove the ribs and set aside.

Saute carrots, celery, onion and garlic in the same pan until well
caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.

Add red wine and cook over high heat until the red wine is reduced by
half. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes and thyme. Add browned ribs and
beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover and bake for approximately 3 hours,
or until meat pulls easily away from the bone. A long, slow braise is
the key here. Cooking at too high of a temperature will result in a
flavorless, tough, stringy meat. It tastes even better if its made the
day before. No rushing necessary!

To make the sauce, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Strain
the remaining sauce through a colander, and then through a fine mesh
strainer, into a large casserole pan. Add the sherry and reduce the
sauce by half. Stir in the chocolate, thyme, marjoram, orange zest and
butter. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Return the ribs to the
pan and simmer until heated through, approximately 2 minutes.

To make the gremolata, mix together parsley and orange zest in a small bowl.

To serve, mound 1/2 cup of starch of your choice, such as mashed
potatoes in the center of 6 warm shallow bowls. Put 2-3 short ribs on
top of the mashed potatoes. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs, and
sprinkle with the gremolata.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Baby Backs dry rubbed, then smoked, then mopped and finished with a quick
grill.

http://picasaweb.google.com/norriscr...26173674209426

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chile Fiend > wrote:

>Andy <q> wrote in :

>> Got favorite ribs?

>Baby Backs dry rubbed, then smoked, then mopped and finished with a quick
>grill.

Sorry, I gotta give the edge to short ribs over baby backs.
I consider the latter "pork ribs for beginners". They
will be tenderer sooner, but there's not enough of a mass
of muscle/connective tissue to meld into full-on Q.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?

Not so much.

> beef ribs?

Blecch!

> baby back ribs?

Their okay but often not cooked enough
and are tough and you have to chew them
off the bone. I hate that. Plus they're
expensive so I never buy them to cook myself.

> ___ ribs?

Plain old-fashioned spare ribs. That's
my favorite.

> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

Spare
Baby back

> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.

I wait till spareribs are on sale really cheap
and buy one of those big packages with about 3
slabs in them. I cut them up in 2-rib sections
and bag them by the slab and freeze them.

I would eat ribs all the time if I could afford
to eat out at a good rib place. And once in a
while cook my own. I eat mostly pork anyway and
ribs are the best type of pork. Yum!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I like pork ribs...either baby back or spare ribs...the best. I've found
over the last year or more that red meat just doesn't set well with me.
Roasts especially, but any red meat causes at least some stomach pain. Pork,
on the other hand, is delicious, and I never have any problems with it ;-)

Now I want to have some!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder said...

> [...]

> flavorless, tough, stringy meat. It tastes even better if its made the
> day before. No rushing necessary!
>
> To make the sauce, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Strain
> the remaining sauce through a colander, and then through a fine mesh
> strainer, into a large casserole pan. Add the sherry and reduce the
> sauce by half. Stir in the chocolate, thyme, marjoram, orange zest and
> butter. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Return the ribs to the
> pan and simmer until heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
>
> To make the gremolata, mix together parsley and orange zest in a small
> bowl.
>
> To serve, mound 1/2 cup of starch of your choice, such as mashed
> potatoes in the center of 6 warm shallow bowls. Put 2-3 short ribs on
> top of the mashed potatoes. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs, and

OH, Janet,

I couldn't imagine to get that recipe right the first time. I'm going up
against some of the Kansas City/Kalifornia family and friends.

Thank you though, (saved).

I'll probably be prohibited from going near the bbq-grill anyway, given my
Kansas City bbq-grill reputation.

<smootch>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Got favorite ribs?
>>
>> short ribs?

> Not so much.
>
>> beef ribs?

> Blecch!
>
>> baby back ribs?

> Their okay but often not cooked enough
> and are tough and you have to chew them
> off the bone. I hate that. Plus they're
> expensive so I never buy them to cook myself.
>
>> ___ ribs?

> Plain old-fashioned spare ribs. That's
> my favorite.
>
>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

> Spare
> Baby back
>
>> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.

> I wait till spareribs are on sale really cheap
> and buy one of those big packages with about 3
> slabs in them. I cut them up in 2-rib sections
> and bag them by the slab and freeze them.
>
> I would eat ribs all the time if I could afford
> to eat out at a good rib place. And once in a
> while cook my own. I eat mostly pork anyway and
> ribs are the best type of pork. Yum!
>
> Kate

Kate,

Did'nt we have a date at Primantis in Pittsburgh? OR would you rather join
me for breakfast in some other city in some other country?

<smootch>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

Baby backs are my fave, followed by spare ribs.

DH smokes 'em pretty well, but my brother makes the best home-cooked ribs
I've ever eaten. (He has a humongous smoker rig that he uses for catering
and BBQ cook-offs.) The very best ribs I've ever had, though, were at
Williams Smokehouse, in Houston.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> OH, Janet,
>
> I couldn't imagine to get that recipe right the first time. I'm going up
> against some of the Kansas City/Kalifornia family and friends.
>
> Thank you though, (saved).
>
> I'll probably be prohibited from going near the bbq-grill anyway, given my
> Kansas City bbq-grill reputation.
>
> <smootch>

Andy,

DH and I have traveled all over North America and have sampled barbecue
in all its forms in all the famous and not-so-famous places. We both
feel that some of the best ribs in the USA can be tasted in Kansas City.

Have a delicious trip.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chile Fiend > wrote:

(Steve Pope) wrote in

>> Chile Fiend > wrote:

>> Sorry, I gotta give the edge to short ribs over baby backs.
>> I consider the latter "pork ribs for beginners". They
>> will be tenderer sooner, but there's not enough of a mass
>> of muscle/connective tissue to meld into full-on Q.

>I only like pork ribs and baby backs are what Costco has so that's what
>I'm buying.

I was brain damaged when I wrote the above. I meant
"spare ribs" not short ribs. Arg.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> I wait till spareribs are on sale really cheap
> and buy one of those big packages with about 3
> slabs in them. I cut them up in 2-rib sections
> and bag them by the slab and freeze them.

Kate,

I buy most of our meat at Sam's Club and they sell large cryovac
packages containing 3 full slabs of spare ribs. I cut each slab into 2
pieces (because they fit better in the vacuum bags) and freeze the two
halves in one bag. I smoke a whole rack in two pieces.

I think two rib sections would get very dry on a long, slow smoke. Do
you smoke your ribs? If so, how do you keep them from drying out?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Got favorite ribs?
>>
>> short ribs?
>> beef ribs?
>> baby back ribs?
>> ___ ribs?
>>
>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

> Baby backs are my fave, followed by spare ribs.
>
> DH smokes 'em pretty well, but my brother makes the best home-cooked ribs
> I've ever eaten. (He has a humongous smoker rig that he uses for catering
> and BBQ cook-offs.) The very best ribs I've ever had, though, were at
> Williams Smokehouse, in Houston.
>
> Mary

Mary,

Didn't Williams Smokehouse burn down? Maybe after you'd left? I think
there are ongoing hopes that it will be rebuilt. My favorites are my
husband's... sometimes he uses a dry rub and other times a BBQ sauce of his
own concoction... both are for baby backs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

IMHO you you need to classify ribs into 2 areas.

Beef & Pork

Pork ribs:

Baby Backs or back ribs,

Spareribs (belly)

the best overall are Saint Luis Cut (trimmed spareribs) More meaty and
flavorful and less waste.

In the beef ribs area you have
Beef ribs ( el cheap-0 ) now they trim all the meat if any off,
Beef Back ribs also a problem once again they trim all the beef off.
Finally the best of the bunch are the bones from the rib steak standing rib
roast section. Meaty juice and a real treat.

Short ribs are good for Korean BBQ or Braising.

Favorite St Luis cut or Prime Rib bones.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> OH, Janet,
>>
>> I couldn't imagine to get that recipe right the first time. I'm going
>> up against some of the Kansas City/Kalifornia family and friends.
>>
>> Thank you though, (saved).
>>
>> I'll probably be prohibited from going near the bbq-grill anyway, given
>> my Kansas City bbq-grill reputation.
>>
>> <smootch>
>>

> Andy,
>
> DH and I have traveled all over North America and have sampled barbecue
> in all its forms in all the famous and not-so-famous places. We both
> feel that some of the best ribs in the USA can be tasted in Kansas City.
>
> Have a delicious trip.

Janet,

I was in Kansas City for #1 Bud's family's reunion and BBQ, end of May.

I'm soon off to visit #1 Bud and family in Kalifornia over July 4th
holiday.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Janet Wilder said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> OH, Janet,
>>>
>>> I couldn't imagine to get that recipe right the first time. I'm going
>>> up against some of the Kansas City/Kalifornia family and friends.
>>>
>>> Thank you though, (saved).
>>>
>>> I'll probably be prohibited from going near the bbq-grill anyway, given
>>> my Kansas City bbq-grill reputation.
>>>
>>> <smootch>
>>>

>> Andy,
>>
>> DH and I have traveled all over North America and have sampled barbecue
>> in all its forms in all the famous and not-so-famous places. We both
>> feel that some of the best ribs in the USA can be tasted in Kansas City.
>>
>> Have a delicious trip.

> Janet,
>
> I was in Kansas City for #1 Bud's family's reunion and BBQ, end of May.
>
> I'm soon off to visit #1 Bud and family in Kalifornia over July 4th
> holiday.

Except for Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, and maybe a
bistro in Napa, we have never been impressed with California's gustatory
offerings.

We're going to a pot luck where the host is supplying burgers and franks
and the guests are bringing the side dishes. I'm making baked beans. I
soak the dry beans overnight, then boil them up with good stuff then
stick them in the slow-cooker for a long, long time.

I'm also making pico de gallo. One of the other participants in the pot
luck had an anniversary party last weekend and I gave her a beautiful
chip and dip platter. She begged for my pico do gallo, so I'm on the
hook for some of that, too.

These things are usually BYOB, unless you want iced tea, so I'll mix up
some 'ritas, too. Should be fun.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet,

Could I show you around the Bay Area, first class!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Janet,
>
> Could I show you around the Bay Area, first class!!!
>
> Andy

I'd love it! Does the offer come with plane tickets ;-)

The next time I plan to be there, I'll be certain to let you know. I
have a dear friend who is now living in Pollock Pines but will be moving
back to the Bay Area and I intend to come and visit her when she does.
No time frame yet.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

If you like Beef ribs the following recipe has been arouind for years and is
one of the best I have ever had.

I posted it here many years ago. If at all posible use rib teark or standing
rib bones.

Ginger-Orange Barbecued Beef Back Ribs
East meets west in this Oriental BBQ.

Refrigerate: Overnight--Cook: 1 hour--Servings: Serves 8

6 lbs. beef back ribs
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. soy sauce 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp. garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp. lemon zest, grated
1 tsp. salt
-- hot chili oil to taste

Trim excess fat from back ribs. Combine all other ingredients. Mix well and
pour over ribs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight but no longer
than 24 hours.

From this point on you can substitute a Grill for the oven.

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Remove ribs from marinade. Reserve marinade in a
saucepan. Place ribs on a rack over a pan of hot water in oven.
Roast 1 hour, turning once halfway through the cooking until browned and
crisp.

Reduce marinade to a glaze-like consistency (about 1-1/2 cups). Reduce oven
heat to 375°F. Brush ribs with glaze,
roast 15 minutes, turn, brush with glaze and roast 15 minutes more.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Got favorite ribs?
>>>
>>> short ribs?
>>> beef ribs?
>>> baby back ribs?
>>> ___ ribs?
>>>
>>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

>> Baby backs are my fave, followed by spare ribs.
>>
>> DH smokes 'em pretty well, but my brother makes the best home-cooked ribs
>> I've ever eaten. (He has a humongous smoker rig that he uses for catering
>> and BBQ cook-offs.) The very best ribs I've ever had, though, were at
>> Williams Smokehouse, in Houston.
>>
>> Mary
>>

> Mary,
>
> Didn't Williams Smokehouse burn down? Maybe after you'd left? I think
> there are ongoing hopes that it will be rebuilt.

I think WS burned down last year, Chris (I've lurked on houston.eats since
moving away and heard the news there). Since I hardly ever made it over to
that part of town, I'd only been to the restaurant a couple of times. But
those ribs certainly were memorable.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

St Louis cut spares. With the rib tips smoked, too. Chef's treat.

As a matter of fact, there will be six racks hitting the grill at about 7 AM
to be ready for lunch tomorrow.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Got favorite ribs?
>>
>> short ribs?
>> beef ribs?
>> baby back ribs?
>> ___ ribs?
>>
>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>>
>> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>>

> St Louis cut spares. With the rib tips smoked, too. Chef's treat.
>
> As a matter of fact, there will be six racks hitting the grill at about 7
> AM to be ready for lunch tomorrow.
>
> BOB

Amen!

Best pork rib cut bar none!

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Got favorite ribs?
>>>
>>> short ribs?
>>> beef ribs?
>>> baby back ribs?
>>> ___ ribs?
>>>
>>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>>>
>>> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> St Louis cut spares. With the rib tips smoked, too. Chef's treat.
>>
>> As a matter of fact, there will be six racks hitting the grill at about

7
>> AM to be ready for lunch tomorrow.
>>
>> BOB

> Amen!
>
> Best pork rib cut bar none!

Is that "St. Louis cut spares" a familiar order nationwide? What would it
be called in Kalifornia? I gotta order there.

Recalls burnt ends in KS.

I wish I could have a Memphis belle join me to keep me in and out of
trouble in Los Angeles?!? Would be well kept, fed, entertained, etc.
Catalina Island overnight!!!

Back to ribs...

"St. Louis cut spares" I'll call out west for the equal.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...

>>> St Louis cut spares. With the rib tips smoked, too. Chef's treat.
>>>
>>> As a matter of fact, there will be six racks hitting the grill at about

> 7
>>> AM to be ready for lunch tomorrow.
>>>
>>> BOB

>> Amen!
>>
>> Best pork rib cut bar none!

> Is that "St. Louis cut spares" a familiar order nationwide? What would it
> be called in Kalifornia? I gotta order there.
>
> Recalls burnt ends in KS.
>
> I wish I could have a Memphis belle join me to keep me in and out of
> trouble in Los Angeles?!? Would be well kept, fed, entertained, etc.
> Catalina Island overnight!!!
>
> Back to ribs...
>
> "St. Louis cut spares" I'll call out west for the equal.
>
> Andy

the Saint Luis Cut is a method of butchering the spareribs - this is not a
preparation spicing or method of cooking. it involves taking the spareribs
and removing the waste.

See he

http://www.bbq-book.com/news2006/html/october_2006.html

Any butcher Nationwide should know this.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Andy wrote:
>> Got favorite ribs?
>>
>> short ribs?
>> beef ribs?
>> baby back ribs?
>> ___ ribs?
>>
>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?

I like them all! I'd say regular spareribs would be last on my list.
I love baby back ribs, tender beef ribs cooked rare, short ribs... I
even like lamb ribs - especially when they are frenched with the
tenderloin attached. LOLOL

Which type are you cooking tonight?

>> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.

DARN! Make a list. California is beckoning and your friend must have
a kettle grill in his yard. If not, he'll be drummed out of the corps
sooner or later.

Here are the rules for citizenship of SoCal (Just made this up, so if
I forgot something, mea culpa).

Rules for men: must have a kettle grill or a barrel smoker in yard and
know how to use it... 6-pack not required. Hope you "got" the double
entendre.

Rules for women: body must be devoid of fat. No cooking skills
required except in the bedroom.

All citizens must be blonde airheads and skilled at beach volleyball.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:15:02 -0700, sf <.> wrote:

>All citizens must be blonde airheads and skilled at beach volleyball.

<slapping forehead already> I forgot *tan*....

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> DARN! Make a list. California is beckoning and your friend must have
> a kettle grill in his yard. If not, he'll be drummed out of the corps
> sooner or later.

sf,

That was the point of the subject but he lives in a gated condo community
and I've never seen charcoal smoke rising from a Q. Some stupid propane
only association rule.

I'll probably just play (hustle) pool a few bucks from the family, tease
and flirt the 12-y-o who fell in love (hands OFF) with me in Kansas City,
kayak Newport Beach and get fed.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Dimitri said...

>> 7

>>> Amen!
>>>
>>> Best pork rib cut bar none!

>> Is that "St. Louis cut spares" a familiar order nationwide? What would
>> it be called in Kalifornia? I gotta order there.
>>
>> Recalls burnt ends in KS.
>>
>> I wish I could have a Memphis belle join me to keep me in and out of
>> trouble in Los Angeles?!? Would be well kept, fed, entertained, etc.
>> Catalina Island overnight!!!
>>
>> Back to ribs...
>>
>> "St. Louis cut spares" I'll call out west for the equal.
>>
>> Andy

> the Saint Luis Cut is a method of butchering the spareribs - this is not
> a preparation spicing or method of cooking. it involves taking the
> spareribs and removing the waste.
>
> See he
>
> http://www.bbq-book.com/news2006/html/october_2006.html
>
> Any butcher Nationwide should know this.

Dimitri,

Thanks for letting me know. I had no clue!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

>That was the point of the subject but he lives in a gated condo community
>and I've never seen charcoal smoke rising from a Q. Some stupid propane
>only association rule.

With the smoke index at a record high in California, a few
more charcoal grills are not going to make any difference.
They should suspend the condo rules.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>That was the point of the subject but he lives in a gated condo community
>>and I've never seen charcoal smoke rising from a Q. Some stupid propane
>>only association rule.

> With the smoke index at a record high in California, a few
> more charcoal grills are not going to make any difference.
> They should suspend the condo rules.
>
> S.

Steve,

Agreed.

Still, if you have never lived there and when you see the L.A. basin (SINK)
from Mt. Wilson, above all the brown/purple sky down below, day after
day!!!

If you don't live on the beach, air sucks. If you live on the beach sun
roasts. Pick yer poison!

Best,

Andy
Slept on the beach
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

>Steve,

>Agreed.

>Still, if you have never lived there and when you see the L.A. basin (SINK)
>from Mt. Wilson, above all the brown/purple sky down below, day after
>day!!!

>If you don't live on the beach, air sucks. If you live on the beach sun
>roasts. Pick yer poison!

Oh I know.. I lived and near Pasadena for eight years. (And
I think the smog was worse then.)

It was/is brutal, especially the ozone.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 9:44 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Pork ribs with salt, olive oil, lemon zest, rosemary and black pepper.

Tartarus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Got favorite ribs?
>
> short ribs?
> beef ribs?
> baby back ribs?
> ___ ribs?
>
> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>
> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Wait a minute, didn't you just go to Kansas/Missouri for BBQ? And you
didn't have RIBS?! Blasphemy

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Got favorite ribs?
>>
>> short ribs?
>> beef ribs?
>> baby back ribs?
>> ___ ribs?
>>
>> What's your favorite? And your second favorite?
>>
>> I've never made ribs, nor can I remember the last time I ate them.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> Wait a minute, didn't you just go to Kansas/Missouri for BBQ? And you
> didn't have RIBS?! Blasphemy
>
> Jill

My Dear Jill,

I got my fill of BBQ brisket and pulled pork but not enough stomach to go
back for third day ribs. ((

Say "Memphis" to me? ))

Love,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned spare ribs and sauerkraut.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...
>>>

>> http://www.bbq-book.com/news2006/html/october_2006.html
>>
>> Any butcher Nationwide should know this.

> Dimitri,
>
> Thanks for letting me know. I had no clue!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

If you live in Southern California Stater Brothers usually ran them on sale
for the 4th of July at what used to be a great price. I would usually stock
up and but 10 to 12 racks and freeze what I did not use on the 4th,

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)