Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamed chipped beef recipe?

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-06-26, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> I don't remember those shrimp cocktail thingies and I was an adult in
>> the sixties! We must have been stuck on fondue and other fun sixties
>> things. LOL. I wish I'd seen them. I don't think they make them any
>> more.

> I'd be amazed if that were true. I used to buy them all the time. Came in
> little hourglass shaped glass jars with tin pry-off lid. Great solution to
> the munchies.
>
> nb

I think my mother kept some in the freezer for my father to nosh on with
his cocktail before dinner was ready.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> You kidding, SauSea Shrimp Cocktail! My Irish relatives would have
> those. I actually looked for those in the last year, I didn't
> see them off hand. Although I don't care for those teeny salad
> shrimp, I have a fondness for those little jars of shrimp cocktail.
>
> nancy

The label is unfamiliar to me, but that's the glass!
http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce...38051118/2D462
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 2:42*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > You kidding, SauSea Shrimp Cocktail! *My Irish relatives would have
> > those. *I actually looked for those in the last year, I didn't
> > see them off hand. *Although I don't care for those teeny salad
> > shrimp, I have a fondness for those little jars of shrimp cocktail.

> > nancy

> The label is unfamiliar to me, but that's the glass!http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce..._Cocktail/4_oz...

The link doesn't say they're frozen - are they?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> The label is unfamiliar to me, but that's the glass!http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce..._Cocktail/4_oz...

> The link doesn't say they're frozen - are they?
>
> N.

I thought they were? Unless it was a different brand that came frozen??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> You kidding, SauSea Shrimp Cocktail! My Irish relatives would have
>> those. I actually looked for those in the last year, I didn't
>> see them off hand. Although I don't care for those teeny salad
>> shrimp, I have a fondness for those little jars of shrimp cocktail.
>>
>> nancy

> The label is unfamiliar to me, but that's the glass!
> http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce...38051118/2D462

Exactly. Interesting about the label, if I remember, I'll look again.
The glass wasn't covered back then, you know, in the olden days.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

>> The label is unfamiliar to me, but that's the glass!
>> http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce...38051118/2D462
>>

> Exactly. Interesting about the label, if I remember, I'll look again.
> The glass wasn't covered back then, you know, in the olden days.
>
> nancy

<deadpan look> well.. I was just an wee babe back in those olden days.
That's why the memory is fuzzy.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:15:41 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>> The label is unfamiliar to me, but that's the glass!http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce..._Cocktail/4_oz...

>> The link doesn't say they're frozen - are they?
>>
>> N.

>I thought they were? Unless it was a different brand that came frozen??

I think I remember them (not that brand or jar) being in the fish
section alongside fresh shucked oysters in glass jars.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Jun 2008 07:20:39p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:15:41 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:

>>> The link doesn't say they're frozen - are they?
>>>
>>> N.

>>I thought they were? Unless it was a different brand that came frozen??

> I think I remember them (not that brand or jar) being in the fish
> section alongside fresh shucked oysters in glass jars.

I seem to remember them being sold both ways, either frozen or
refrigerated, depending on brand.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
>

> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Love the stuff-my Dad considers it dirty words. (Korean War).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 25-Jun-2008, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> So many people don't know how to make gravy. This group is not
>> typical of the fast food crazed society we live in. A few weeks ago
>> we were on a weekend holiday with friends. They, and Louise eat
>> breakfast. I don't. The husband of the other couple made some eggs
>> and breakfast sausage. He asked what he should do to clean the cast
>> pan he did the sausage in. I told him to leave it for my lunch.
>> Later I made gravy and put it on some toast with the leftover
>> sausage. They were amazed at how easy it was. Many people can't
>> cook.

> I can't believe my local grocer sells a bag of cooked and peeled
> hard-boiled eggs.

I've seen those at the supermarket, too. They come in clear cartons, not
bags. Given the number of posts here over the years about how to make hard
boiled eggs I suppose there's a market for them.

What gets me is the small tubs of pre-chopped vegetables. Need a cup of
chopped celery? Look, it's chopped and it's only $4! Diced tomatoes? How
about the holy trinity - chopped onion, celery and bell pepper? No problem,
buy this little tub. I'm no whiz with a knife but even I can see this is
beyond lazy.

Jill