Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday Night Fish Dinner

Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will be
accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along with
some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips (fries) or
mashed potatoes.

What are your plans?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt
> and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish
> will be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter
> along with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make
> chips (fries) or mashed potatoes.
>
> What are your plans?

Solstice party. Here's the current state of my to-do list:

DONE cold fried chicken: a piece came out underdone, and so I feel I
need to stick the whole batch into the oven for a while to make sure
it's cooked through. A drag, but not the end of the world.

Also, there's some unbreaded chicken that I plan to bake with barbecue
sauce.

DONE veggie kabobs with some sort of veggie protein (tofu or seitan or
tempeh): Not started yet, except the pressing and marinating of the
tofu. (the teenager did this)

DONE pulled pork and homemade rolls for sandwiches: Pork is pulled.
Burned the first batch of barbecue sauce, so I need to make more.

DONE Need to make rolls (dough is ready).

corn on the cob: need to cut and shuck and boil. Will start around 6.

DONE potato salad: made

DONE macaroni salad: made

watermelon: Will cut at last minute

lemonade: need to make (the teenager said she would do it)

BUYING SODA iced tea (sweet and un): may make; may instead buy cold
two-liters of soda, because I can't find my other pitcher

SKIPPING peach cobbler: may skip; I have fewer peaches than I thought
after the peach ice cream, and I'm going to need the oven for the rest
of the chicken

DONE homemade ice cream, several flavors: done and yummy. We made four
flavors, but I gave the teenager permission to eat all of the green tea,
because that's her fave. She said it was better than store-bought.
*preen* There are small amounts of dark chocolate and vanilla in the
freezer, and a bit larger amount of peach. I may make more before the
day's up.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt
> and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The
> fish will be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in
> butter along with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want
> to make chips (fries) or mashed potatoes.

We had shrimp and rice. The shrimp was made from a recipe on
America's Test Kitchen ... skewered and grilled and then stirred
into a lemon/butter/red pepper flakes sauce. Delicious.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
> coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
> little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will be
> accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along with
> some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips (fries) or
> mashed potatoes.
>
> What are your plans?
>
> Jill

Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)

Toasted Sourdough with Pizza Sauce & Cheese (pepperoni is a maybe)
Apple Magic slices, mini carrots, & salad.

Back to Basics (He picks the movie)

Topping it all off with Ice Cream

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Jill wrote:

> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets.

--snip--

> What are your plans?

Actually, I forgot all about it being Friday, but I am making Grilled
Tuna Melt sandwiches, deviled eggs (I have a ton of eggs to use up)
and I might add a TJ's creamy vegetable bisque to round out the meal.
I don't care for soup when the weather is this hot -- I don't like
cold soups either -- but Bob can do soup any time, hot or cold.

Let Fishy Friday commence!

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 4:38*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. *I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
> coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
> little cayenne pepper for kick. *They'll be pan-fried. *

I do the same with fish, except I usually use black or sometimes white
pepper and oftem omit the egg wash, but whiting? My mother used to
make that sometimes, and there aren't enough lemons or limes on the
planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.

> What are your plans?

Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away. My
son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont fit
in the car.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Jun 20, 4:38 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
>> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with
>> salt and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried.

> I do the same with fish, except I usually use black or sometimes white
> pepper and oftem omit the egg wash, but whiting? My mother used to
> make that sometimes, and there aren't enough lemons or limes on the
> planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.

LOL More for me! I love whiting. Which of course means the price will
skyrocket.

>> What are your plans?

> Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away. My
> son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont fit
> in the car.
>>

> --Bryan

Bought a small computer desk and chair today (assembly required!). They
both fit in my car. There's a perfect spot in one corner of Mom's living
room for a little work area. This way we'll be able to get this machine off
the kitchen table and actually eat in here again

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® >

>> Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away.
>> My son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont
>> fit in the car.

> You could have emailed me. I could have helped you out. I don't live
> that far.

I bought a wheelbarrow last spring and had to return it
immediately. Not fit in the car, that's crazy! If it wasn't
assembled, maybe the parts would have fit.

8 blocks, I would have walked that, no problem.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
>> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and
>> a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will
>> be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along
>> with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips
>> (fries) or mashed potatoes.
>>
>> What are your plans?
>>
>> Jill

> Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)
>
> Toasted Sourdough with Pizza Sauce & Cheese (pepperoni is a maybe)
> Apple Magic slices, mini carrots, & salad.
>
> Back to Basics (He picks the movie)
>
> Topping it all off with Ice Cream
>

> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

sounds like here. Poppa John's pizza. Got to get ready for Darling
Daughter's graduation party so I am gutting (not tearing out but cleaning
out) the house so the table is taken by 'if this is your crap come and get
it before the trash man comes tomorrow'.....
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets.
>>>
>>> What are your plans?
>>>

>> Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)
>>
>> (AKA Dimitri)
>>

> sounds like here. Poppa John's pizza.

There's a pizza joint in downtown Beaufort called 'The Upper Crust'; they'll
sell you their crust wrapped in a ball and you can pat it out at home and
create your own pizza with excellent dough! Papa John's has a Spinach
Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is to die for; I want to try to
re-create it at home but I can never count on how my own pizza crust will
turn out. This is definitely in the plans.

> Got to get ready for Darling
> Daughter's graduation party so I am gutting (not tearing out but
> cleaning out) the house so the table is taken by 'if this is your
> crap come and get it before the trash man comes tomorrow'.....
> -ginny

Hope you (and she!) she have a good graduation party

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> whiting? My mother used to make that sometimes, and there aren't enough
> lemons or limes on the planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.

Whiting makes fine fish tacos. It's also good poached in brodo, with pasta.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:59:18 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
>> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt
>> and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish
>> will be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter
>> along with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make
>> chips (fries) or mashed potatoes.
>>
>> What are your plans?

>Solstice party. Here's the current state of my to-do list:
>
>DONE cold fried chicken: a piece came out underdone, and so I feel I
>need to stick the whole batch into the oven for a while to make sure
>it's cooked through. A drag, but not the end of the world.
>
>Also, there's some unbreaded chicken that I plan to bake with barbecue
>sauce.
>
>DONE veggie kabobs with some sort of veggie protein (tofu or seitan or
>tempeh): Not started yet, except the pressing and marinating of the
>tofu. (the teenager did this)
>
>DONE pulled pork and homemade rolls for sandwiches: Pork is pulled.
>Burned the first batch of barbecue sauce, so I need to make more.
>
>DONE Need to make rolls (dough is ready).
>
>corn on the cob: need to cut and shuck and boil. Will start around 6.
>
>DONE potato salad: made
>
>DONE macaroni salad: made
>
>watermelon: Will cut at last minute
>
>lemonade: need to make (the teenager said she would do it)
>
>BUYING SODA iced tea (sweet and un): may make; may instead buy cold
>two-liters of soda, because I can't find my other pitcher
>
>SKIPPING peach cobbler: may skip; I have fewer peaches than I thought
>after the peach ice cream, and I'm going to need the oven for the rest
>of the chicken
>
>DONE homemade ice cream, several flavors: done and yummy. We made four
>flavors, but I gave the teenager permission to eat all of the green tea,
>because that's her fave. She said it was better than store-bought.
>*preen* There are small amounts of dark chocolate and vanilla in the
>freezer, and a bit larger amount of peach. I may make more before the
>day's up.

You did all of that in this heat? I think you should open a
restaurant.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:28:54 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)
>
>Toasted Sourdough with Pizza Sauce & Cheese (pepperoni is a maybe)
>Apple Magic slices, mini carrots, & salad.
>
>Back to Basics (He picks the movie)
>
>Topping it all off with Ice Cream

I take it your grandson's name is Charlie... how old is he?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Papa John's has a Spinach
>Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is to die for; I want to try to
>re-create it at home but I can never count on how my own pizza crust will
>turn out. This is definitely in the plans.

I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make the
spinach topping?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
> coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
> little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will be
> accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along with
> some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips (fries) or
> mashed potatoes.
>
> What are your plans?
>
> Jill

Just had time to put together a salad tonight.

Last night I warmed a can of tuna in some olive oil, minced garlic, capers,
lemon zest, lemon juice, ground pepper and olive oil, then tossed it with
some rollitini (sp?) pasta and sprinkled some parmagean reggiano and fresh
chopped parsley on it.

Her highness, SWMBO, was pleased.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Papa John's has a Spinach
>> Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is to die for; I want to
>> try to re-create it at home but I can never count on how my own
>> pizza crust will turn out. This is definitely in the plans.

> I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make the
> spinach topping?

Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some sort of
nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's not something I
normally make. I'll be going through some cookbooks, Googling, probably
asking here. Of course I could always just buy a jar of the stuff on the
spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll top it with chopped fresh
spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a blend of mozz and parmesan. Of
course the combination of toppings are are endless. Could include sliced
mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, slices of artichoke hearts or bottoms...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 12:06:43a, jmcquown told us...

> sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Papa John's has a Spinach
>>> Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is to die for; I want to
>>> try to re-create it at home but I can never count on how my own pizza
>>> crust will turn out. This is definitely in the plans.

>> I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make the
>> spinach topping?

> Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some sort
> of nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's not
> something I normally make. I'll be going through some cookbooks,
> Googling, probably asking here. Of course I could always just buy a jar
> of the stuff on the spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll top it
> with chopped fresh spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a blend of
> mozz and parmesan. Of course the combination of toppings are are
> endless. Could include sliced mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, slices of
> artichoke hearts or bottoms...
>
> Jill

I know this isn't what you were served, but a couple of years ago we
stumbled onto an obscure little pizza place near Florence, AZ and had
excellent pizza. The owners had moved there from New York. Anyway, my
favorite pizza there was a "butter pizza" where the buttered crust was
covered with leaves of fresh spinach, thin slices of roma tomatoes, and
sliced garlic, and there were sizeable "blobs" of fresh ricotta. It was
delicious. There was just enough of everything. I'm not overly fond of
overloaded pizza.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "jmcquown" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> Bought a small computer desk and chair today (assembly required!).
>> They both fit in my car. There's a perfect spot in one corner of
>> Mom's living room for a little work area. This way we'll be able to
>> get this machine off the kitchen table and actually eat in here again
>>

> I'm so disgusted. Almost everyone is making decent food for dinner
> tonight. Congrats on the desk and chair. I'm no longer allowed to
> assemble anything. I lose my patience and wind up destroying it.
>
> Michael

Well, I'm not the one who assembled it. But for such a basic desk the
instructions were enough to try the patience of a saint. Didn't help that
they were written (and diagrams drawn) by someone for whom English is a
second language. Or that the pieces weren't marked correctly. One piece
had a sticker indicating it was both part E *and* F. LOL We're going to
shore it up with a couple of L-brackets and maybe set it on something to
raise the height a bit.

So sorry your flat iron steak plans didn't work out!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 21 Jun 2008 12:06:43a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown"

>>> I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make
>>> the spinach topping?

>> Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some
>> sort of nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's
>> not something I normally make. I'll be going through some cookbooks,
>> Googling, probably asking here. Of course I could always just buy a
>> jar of the stuff on the spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll
>> top it with chopped fresh spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a
>> blend of mozz and parmesan. Of course the combination of toppings
>> are are endless. Could include sliced mushrooms, sun-dried
>> tomatoes, slices of artichoke hearts or bottoms...
>>
>> Jill

> I know this isn't what you were served, but a couple of years ago we
> stumbled onto an obscure little pizza place near Florence, AZ and had
> excellent pizza. The owners had moved there from New York. Anyway,
> my favorite pizza there was a "butter pizza" where the buttered crust
> was covered with leaves of fresh spinach, thin slices of roma
> tomatoes, and sliced garlic, and there were sizeable "blobs" of fresh
> ricotta. It was delicious. There was just enough of everything.
> I'm not overly fond of overloaded pizza.

Your input is always welcome, Wayne! Yours sounds tasty, too. It's nice, I
hadn't thought of ricotta. And I agree about the topping overload. I like
to keep it simple (pizza isn't my favourite thing anyway). And forget about
thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want bread I'll eat bread. Order a
pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks with that? Um, no.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>>> Papa John's has a Spinach Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is
>>> to die for; I want to try to re-create it at home but I can never count
>>> on how my own pizza crust will turn out. This is definitely in the
>>> plans.

>> I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make the
>> spinach topping?

> Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some sort of
> nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's not something
> I normally make. I'll be going through some cookbooks, Googling, probably
> asking here. Of course I could always just buy a jar of the stuff on the
> spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll top it with chopped fresh
> spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a blend of mozz and parmesan. Of
> course the combination of toppings are are endless. Could include sliced
> mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, slices of artichoke hearts or bottoms...

You might consider putting the spinach *under* the sauce, to protect it from
the fierce heat of the oven. Or just make creamed spinach with cheese and
garlic.

When I've made a slightly-embellished spinach-ricotta pizza in the past,
this is what I did (assuming the crust was ready for the toppings):

1. Lightly cook spinach and sliced garlic in olive oil. You just want it to
wilt.

2. Mix together ricotta cheese with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.

3. Drain the spinach mixture well and spread it over the crust (leaving a
decent-sized border).

4. Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach mixture.

5. Lightly sprinkle with pine nuts and good-quality Parmesan.

6. Bake in a hot oven until the pine nuts are toasted and the crust is
crisp.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
> with that? Um, no.

Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with
pizza.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>> On Jun 20, 4:38 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
>>> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with
>>> salt and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried.

>> I do the same with fish, except I usually use black or sometimes white
>> pepper and oftem omit the egg wash, but whiting? My mother used to
>> make that sometimes, and there aren't enough lemons or limes on the
>> planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.
>>>

> LOL More for me! I love whiting. Which of course means the price will
> skyrocket.

I would be quite surprised if that happened.

>>> What are your plans?

>> Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away. My
>> son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont fit
>> in the car.
>>>

>> --Bryan

> Bought a small computer desk and chair today (assembly required!). They
> both fit in my car. There's a perfect spot in one corner of Mom's
> living room for a little work area. This way we'll be able to get this
> machine off the kitchen table and actually eat in here again

We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft. versus the
11xx sq. ft. of apartment we live in now. The computer desk will have
to go in the living room. The bedrooms are tiny, and we're giving the
larger one to our 6 YO. Plus, we have a large wardrobe, about 4' x 2+'.
It really is almost funny.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> You might consider putting the spinach *under* the sauce, to protect
> it from the fierce heat of the oven. Or just make creamed spinach
> with cheese and garlic.
>
> When I've made a slightly-embellished spinach-ricotta pizza in the
> past, this is what I did (assuming the crust was ready for the
> toppings):
> 1. Lightly cook spinach and sliced garlic in olive oil. You just want
> it to wilt.
>
> 2. Mix together ricotta cheese with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
>
> 3. Drain the spinach mixture well and spread it over the crust
> (leaving a decent-sized border).
>
> 4. Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach mixture.
>
> 5. Lightly sprinkle with pine nuts and good-quality Parmesan.
>
> 6. Bake in a hot oven until the pine nuts are toasted and the crust is
> crisp.
>

> Bob

Thanks, Bob! I'm saving this post. Obviously I've never tried to make this
before so your suggestions are much appreciated.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
>> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
>> with that? Um, no.

> Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
> pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
> side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with
> pizza.
>
> nancy

bread sticks are only pushed because well they got all this dough sitting
there anyways. Not much of a jump to add some garlic and turn it into
bread sticks.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>>> On Jun 20, 4:38 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> I do the same with fish, except I usually use black or sometimes
>>> white pepper and oftem omit the egg wash, but whiting? My mother
>>> used to make that sometimes, and there aren't enough lemons or
>>> limes on the planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.
>>>>

>> LOL More for me! I love whiting. Which of course means the price
>> will skyrocket.

> I would be quite surprised if that happened.

I wouldn't! Every time I like something that starts out inexpensive (such
as flank steak, ox tails or tilapia) some TV chef does a show featuring it,
or it shows up on restaurant menus, and suddenly everyone wants it. And the
price goes up

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 7:50 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> BoboBonobo wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> LOL More for me! I love whiting. Which of course means the price
> >> will skyrocket.

> > I would be quite surprised if that happened.

> I wouldn't! Every time I like something that starts out inexpensive (such
> as flank steak, ox tails or tilapia) some TV chef does a show featuring it,
> or it shows up on restaurant menus, and suddenly everyone wants it. And the
> price goes up

Tilapia--thankfully--is still pretty cheap. Now there's a cheap fish
that I love. Unlike pollock, it maintains its structural integrity in
the frying pan. Tastes better that pollock too.
I like hoki as well, and that's also cheap.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:

> We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft. versus the
> 11xx sq. ft. of apartment we live in now. The computer desk will have
> to go in the living room. The bedrooms are tiny, and we're giving the
> larger one to our 6 YO. Plus, we have a large wardrobe, about 4' x
> 2+'. It really is almost funny.
>
> --Bryan

Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's computer
dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in the kitchen. Of
course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm at his beck and call if
he wants something to eat or drink because I'm closer. :-P LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in

>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
>>> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
>>> with that? Um, no.

>> Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
>> pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
>> side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with
>> pizza.

> bread sticks are only pushed because well they got all this dough
> sitting there anyways. Not much of a jump to add some garlic and
> turn it into bread sticks.

I save the extra pizza dough to make fried pizza dough.

They probably have a name, but my ex just called them fried
pizza dough (sticks).

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:

>>> Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
>>> pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
>>> side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with
>>> pizza.

>> bread sticks are only pushed because well they got all this dough
>> sitting there anyways. Not much of a jump to add some garlic and
>> turn it into bread sticks.

> I save the extra pizza dough to make fried pizza dough.
>
> They probably have a name, but my ex just called them fried
> pizza dough (sticks).
> nancy

Zeppole
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in

>>> bread sticks are only pushed because well they got all this dough
>>> sitting there anyways. Not much of a jump to add some garlic and
>>> turn it into bread sticks.

>> I save the extra pizza dough to make fried pizza dough.
>>
>> They probably have a name, but my ex just called them fried
>> pizza dough (sticks).

> Zeppole

Yup, just had some at the fair the other night. But I think
those are deep fried while the sticks are just fried in a pan
in strips. I know, same difference.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> You might consider putting the spinach *under* the sauce, to protect
>> it from the fierce heat of the oven. Or just make creamed spinach
>> with cheese and garlic.
>>
>> When I've made a slightly-embellished spinach-ricotta pizza in the
>> past, this is what I did (assuming the crust was ready for the
>> toppings):
>> 1. Lightly cook spinach and sliced garlic in olive oil. You just want
>> it to wilt.
>>
>> 2. Mix together ricotta cheese with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
>>
>> 3. Drain the spinach mixture well and spread it over the crust
>> (leaving a decent-sized border).
>>
>> 4. Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach mixture.
>>
>> 5. Lightly sprinkle with pine nuts and good-quality Parmesan.
>>
>> 6. Bake in a hot oven until the pine nuts are toasted and the crust
>> is crisp.
>>

>> Bob

> Thanks, Bob! I'm saving this post. Obviously I've never tried to
> make this before so your suggestions are much appreciated.
>
> Jill

That really does sound good, doesn't it? I would LOVE it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in news:485d110d$0$2896
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> You might consider putting the spinach *under* the sauce, to protect
>>> it from the fierce heat of the oven. Or just make creamed spinach
>>> with cheese and garlic.
>>>
>>> When I've made a slightly-embellished spinach-ricotta pizza in the
>>> past, this is what I did (assuming the crust was ready for the
>>> toppings):
>>> 1. Lightly cook spinach and sliced garlic in olive oil. You just want
>>> it to wilt.
>>>
>>> 2. Mix together ricotta cheese with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
>>>
>>> 3. Drain the spinach mixture well and spread it over the crust
>>> (leaving a decent-sized border).
>>>
>>> 4. Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach mixture.
>>>
>>> 5. Lightly sprinkle with pine nuts and good-quality Parmesan.
>>>
>>> 6. Bake in a hot oven until the pine nuts are toasted and the crust
>>> is crisp.
>>>

>>> Bob

>> Thanks, Bob! I'm saving this post. Obviously I've never tried to
>> make this before so your suggestions are much appreciated.
>>
>> Jill

> That really does sound good, doesn't it? I would LOVE it.
>
> kili

So...use a spinach lasagna filling on the pizza crust. Perhaps mix-up the
spices a bit.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in news:485d110d$0$2896
> :
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Thanks, Bob! I'm saving this post. Obviously I've never tried to
>>> make this before so your suggestions are much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> That really does sound good, doesn't it? I would LOVE it.
>>
>> kili

> So...use a spinach lasagna filling on the pizza crust. Perhaps mix-up
> the spices a bit.

Yeah, that's a great idea! I didn't look at it that way, but that's
basically what it is, isn't it?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> Tilapia--thankfully--is still pretty cheap. Now there's a cheap fish
> that I love. Unlike pollock, it maintains its structural integrity in
> the frying pan. Tastes better that pollock too.
> I like hoki as well, and that's also cheap.
>
> --Bryan

I still like my pollock, however. I like it *much* better, for my palate,
than tilapia (tilapia tastes like dirt to me) and pollock is considerably
cheaper as well. I can get 4 frozen pollock fillets for under $3 at my
local Sav-A-Lot. It *is* a delicate fish, though, you're absolutely spot on
about that; kind of tricky to turn in a skillet. Despite the flaws, I
always keep pollock and whiting in my freezer for emergencies.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 03:56:14a, Nancy Young told us...

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
>> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
>> with that? Um, no.

> Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
> pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
> side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with
> pizza.
>
> nancy

When we go out for pizza, I almost always order a small salad to eat
*before* the pizza arrives. Occasionally, I will eat a couple of
breadsticks with the salad, but never with the pizza.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
'Procrastination - I'll deal with it
sooner or later.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 01:10:44a, jmcquown told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some
>>> sort of nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's
>>> not something I normally make. I'll be going through some cookbooks,
>>> Googling, probably asking here. Of course I could always just buy a
>>> jar of the stuff on the spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll
>>> top it with chopped fresh spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a
>>> blend of mozz and parmesan. Of course the combination of toppings
>>> are are endless. Could include sliced mushrooms, sun-dried
>>> tomatoes, slices of artichoke hearts or bottoms...
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I know this isn't what you were served, but a couple of years ago we
>> stumbled onto an obscure little pizza place near Florence, AZ and had
>> excellent pizza. The owners had moved there from New York. Anyway,
>> my favorite pizza there was a "butter pizza" where the buttered crust
>> was covered with leaves of fresh spinach, thin slices of roma
>> tomatoes, and sliced garlic, and there were sizeable "blobs" of fresh
>> ricotta. It was delicious. There was just enough of everything.
>> I'm not overly fond of overloaded pizza.

> Your input is always welcome, Wayne! Yours sounds tasty, too. It's
> nice, I hadn't thought of ricotta. And I agree about the topping
> overload. I like to keep it simple (pizza isn't my favourite thing
> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
> with that? Um, no.
>
> Jill

Thanks, Jill. Breadsticks with pizza? Uh, no. With a salad beforehand,
sometimes.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Taglines are like cats, you only think
you own them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 06:46:42a, hahabogus told us...

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in
> :
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
>>> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
>>> with that? Um, no.

>> Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
>> pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
>> side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with pizza.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> bread sticks are only pushed because well they got all this dough sitting
> there anyways. Not much of a jump to add some garlic and turn it into
> bread sticks.

Usually the breadsticks I see in pizza places are pre-wrapped, so extra
dough is not the reason in those cases.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Taglines are like cats, you only think
you own them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 06:56:14 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> anyway). And forget about thick crust or stuffed crust... if I want
>> bread I'll eat bread. Order a pizza, oh, would you like breadsticks
>> with that? Um, no.

>Heh, I wondered about that myself. Who eats bread with
>pizza? Obviously someone, just strikes me as an odd
>side dish, though I'm not so much for any side dishes with
>pizza.
>
>nancy

the frosted cinnamon breadsticks always threw me. sounds absolutely
disgusting with pizza.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 03:06:43 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Good question! Wish I had a good answer I'll be wanting some sort of
>nice smooth white cheese (alfredo) sauce as a base and it's not something I
>normally make.

I have a quickie version of alfredo, if it's where I hope it is - I'll
send it to you.

>I'll be going through some cookbooks, Googling, probably
>asking here. Of course I could always just buy a jar of the stuff on the
>spaghetti sauce aisle Then I figure I'll top it with chopped fresh
>spinach leaves, garlic and mozzarella or a blend of mozz and parmesan. Of
>course the combination of toppings are are endless. Could include sliced
>mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, slices of artichoke hearts or bottoms...

I would stop with spinach (well, garlic is always good)... after all,
it's a spinach pizza and there is cheese in the sauce already.

One question - have you ever ordered a pizza with spinach on it? I'm
wondering how watery the spinach gets.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:30:51 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>You might consider putting the spinach *under* the sauce, to protect it from
>the fierce heat of the oven. Or just make creamed spinach with cheese and
>garlic.
>
>When I've made a slightly-embellished spinach-ricotta pizza in the past,
>this is what I did (assuming the crust was ready for the toppings):
>
>1. Lightly cook spinach and sliced garlic in olive oil. You just want it to
>wilt.
>
>2. Mix together ricotta cheese with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
>
>3. Drain the spinach mixture well and spread it over the crust (leaving a
>decent-sized border).
>
>4. Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach mixture.
>
>5. Lightly sprinkle with pine nuts and good-quality Parmesan.
>
>6. Bake in a hot oven until the pine nuts are toasted and the crust is
>crisp.

Mmmm! That sounds good. It's worth a try.

Mae West