Friday Night Fish Dinner

Old 20-06-2008, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday Night Fish Dinner

Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will be
accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along with
some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips (fries) or
mashed potatoes.

What are your plans?

Jill

Old 20-06-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt
and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish
will be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter
along with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make
chips (fries) or mashed potatoes.

What are your plans?

Solstice party. Here's the current state of my to-do list:

DONE cold fried chicken: a piece came out underdone, and so I feel I
need to stick the whole batch into the oven for a while to make sure
it's cooked through. A drag, but not the end of the world.

Also, there's some unbreaded chicken that I plan to bake with barbecue
sauce.

DONE veggie kabobs with some sort of veggie protein (tofu or seitan or
tempeh): Not started yet, except the pressing and marinating of the
tofu. (the teenager did this)

DONE pulled pork and homemade rolls for sandwiches: Pork is pulled.
Burned the first batch of barbecue sauce, so I need to make more.

DONE Need to make rolls (dough is ready).

corn on the cob: need to cut and shuck and boil. Will start around 6.

DONE potato salad: made

DONE macaroni salad: made

watermelon: Will cut at last minute

lemonade: need to make (the teenager said she would do it)

BUYING SODA iced tea (sweet and un): may make; may instead buy cold
two-liters of soda, because I can't find my other pitcher

SKIPPING peach cobbler: may skip; I have fewer peaches than I thought
after the peach ice cream, and I'm going to need the oven for the rest
of the chicken

DONE homemade ice cream, several flavors: done and yummy. We made four
flavors, but I gave the teenager permission to eat all of the green tea,
because that's her fave. She said it was better than store-bought.
*preen* There are small amounts of dark chocolate and vanilla in the
freezer, and a bit larger amount of peach. I may make more before the
day's up.

Serene
Old 20-06-2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt
and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The
fish will be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in
butter along with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want
to make chips (fries) or mashed potatoes.

We had shrimp and rice. The shrimp was made from a recipe on
America's Test Kitchen ... skewered and grilled and then stirred
into a lemon/butter/red pepper flakes sauce. Delicious.

nancy
Old 20-06-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will be
accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along with
some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips (fries) or
mashed potatoes.

What are your plans?

Jill

Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)

Toasted Sourdough with Pizza Sauce & Cheese (pepperoni is a maybe)
Apple Magic slices, mini carrots, & salad.

Back to Basics (He picks the movie)

Topping it all off with Ice Cream

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Old 20-06-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin

Jill wrote:

Dinner tonight, whiting fillets.

--snip--

What are your plans?

Actually, I forgot all about it being Friday, but I am making Grilled
Tuna Melt sandwiches, deviled eggs (I have a ton of eggs to use up)
and I might add a TJ's creamy vegetable bisque to round out the meal.
I don't care for soup when the weather is this hot -- I don't like
cold soups either -- but Bob can do soup any time, hot or cold.

Let Fishy Friday commence!

--Lin
Old 20-06-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 4:38*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. *I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
little cayenne pepper for kick. *They'll be pan-fried. *

I do the same with fish, except I usually use black or sometimes white
pepper and oftem omit the egg wash, but whiting? My mother used to
make that sometimes, and there aren't enough lemons or limes on the
planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.

What are your plans?

Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away. My
son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont fit
in the car.

Jill

--Bryan
Old 20-06-2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
On Jun 20, 4:38 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with
salt and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried.

I do the same with fish, except I usually use black or sometimes white
pepper and oftem omit the egg wash, but whiting? My mother used to
make that sometimes, and there aren't enough lemons or limes on the
planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.

LOL More for me! I love whiting. Which of course means the price will
skyrocket.

What are your plans?

Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away. My
son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont fit
in the car.

--Bryan

Bought a small computer desk and chair today (assembly required!). They
both fit in my car. There's a perfect spot in one corner of Mom's living
room for a little work area. This way we'll be able to get this machine off
the kitchen table and actually eat in here again

Jill

Old 21-06-2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
Bobo Bonobo®

Buying a wheelbarrow at Lowe's, which is about 7 or 8 blocks away.
My son and I are walking there, then I'm wheeling it back. It wont
fit in the car.

You could have emailed me. I could have helped you out. I don't live
that far.

I bought a wheelbarrow last spring and had to return it
immediately. Not fit in the car, that's crazy! If it wasn't
assembled, maybe the parts would have fit.

8 blocks, I would have walked that, no problem.

nancy

Old 21-06-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and
a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will
be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along
with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips
(fries) or mashed potatoes.

What are your plans?

Jill

Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)

Toasted Sourdough with Pizza Sauce & Cheese (pepperoni is a maybe)
Apple Magic slices, mini carrots, & salad.

Back to Basics (He picks the movie)

Topping it all off with Ice Cream

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

sounds like here. Poppa John's pizza. Got to get ready for Darling
Daughter's graduation party so I am gutting (not tearing out but cleaning
out) the house so the table is taken by 'if this is your crap come and get
it before the trash man comes tomorrow'.....
-ginny

Old 21-06-2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
"Dimitri" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets.

What are your plans?

Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)

(AKA Dimitri)

sounds like here. Poppa John's pizza.

There's a pizza joint in downtown Beaufort called 'The Upper Crust'; they'll
sell you their crust wrapped in a ball and you can pat it out at home and
create your own pizza with excellent dough! Papa John's has a Spinach
Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is to die for; I want to try to
re-create it at home but I can never count on how my own pizza crust will
turn out. This is definitely in the plans.

Got to get ready for Darling
Daughter's graduation party so I am gutting (not tearing out but
cleaning out) the house so the table is taken by 'if this is your
crap come and get it before the trash man comes tomorrow'.....
-ginny

Hope you (and she!) she have a good graduation party

Jill

Old 21-06-2008, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

whiting? My mother used to make that sometimes, and there aren't enough
lemons or limes on the planet to make me think of "jack salmon" as edible.

Whiting makes fine fish tacos. It's also good poached in brodo, with pasta.

Bob

Old 21-06-2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:59:18 -0700, Serene Vannoy
wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

You did all of that in this heat? I think you should open a
restaurant.

Mae West
Old 21-06-2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:28:54 -0700, "Dimitri"
wrote:

Charlie's Pizza & Movie night (grandson)

Toasted Sourdough with Pizza Sauce & Cheese (pepperoni is a maybe)
Apple Magic slices, mini carrots, & salad.

Back to Basics (He picks the movie)

Topping it all off with Ice Cream

I take it your grandson's name is Charlie... how old is he?

Mae West
Old 21-06-2008, 05:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Papa John's has a Spinach
Alfredo pizza available in some areas that is to die for; I want to try to
re-create it at home but I can never count on how my own pizza crust will
turn out. This is definitely in the plans.

I can always count on my pizza dough, sooo.... how would you make the
spinach topping?

Mae West
Old 21-06-2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash then
coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt and a
little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish will be
accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter along with
some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make chips (fries) or
mashed potatoes.

What are your plans?

Jill

Just had time to put together a salad tonight.

Last night I warmed a can of tuna in some olive oil, minced garlic, capers,
lemon zest, lemon juice, ground pepper and olive oil, then tossed it with
some rollitini (sp?) pasta and sprinkled some parmagean reggiano and fresh
chopped parsley on it.

Her highness, SWMBO, was pleased.

Jon